Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Friends
I am using LG 65inch C2 Oled Television and just bought apple tv 4k 128gb, my television support Dolby Vision but when i configure apple tv, in video settings it shows me 4K SDR, if i choose 4K HDR there is no display, i am using the HDMI cable came with Apple TV HD, does the HDMI cable matters? i have connected Yamaha RXV677 AVR with apple tv and tv with yamaha avr. Want to enjoy Dolby Vision but failed, but if i play dolby vision movies direct from LG apps it shows me Dolby Vision.
Please do help

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Friends
I am using LG 65inch C2 Oled Television and just bought apple tv 4k 128gb, my television support Dolby Vision but when i configure apple tv, in video settings it shows me 4K SDR, if i choose 4K HDR there is no display, i am using the HDMI cable came with Apple TV HD, does the HDMI cable matters? i have connected Yamaha RXV677 AVR with apple tv and tv with yamaha avr. Want to enjoy Dolby Vision but failed, but if i play dolby vision movies direct from LG apps it shows me Dolby Vision.
Please do help
what are your settings in the Apple TV? and mallbritton just might be right about your cable.
My settings are in Video and Audio: Enable Dolby Vision
Format: 4K SDR
Match Content: Both ON
You can also use the Check HDMI Connection to check your cable.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
what are your settings in the Apple TV? and mallbritton just might be right about your cable.
My settings are in Video and Audio: Enable Dolby Vision
Format: 4K SDR
Match Content: Both ON
You can also use the Check HDMI Connection to check your cable.my sett
My settings
Format 4K SDR
MATCH CONTENT BOTH ARE ON
i have used check hdmi connection and it says ".....looks good"
Will check hdmi cable tomorrow, first i will connect atv direct with the tv and if the things are same then will go for new hdmi cable but belkin cable is too costly, if you can suggest any brand cheaper then will give a shot

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Friends
Please do help

I was experiencing a similar thing when setting up the new one. The "breakthrough" was to bypass anything in between and make a direct connection from new AppleTV to TV, then select my video options (all of which became available options), then shut it all down and switch it back to how it was for me (too, going from AppleTV through Receiver to 4KTV). After that one-time setup, it no longer had trouble passing through the receiver.

My sister was also getting some odd setup behavior. Her setup was AppleTV to audio splitter to receiver to TV. Again, bypassing those 2 middlemen connections once delivered the video settings options that were desired. Reinserting the middlemen pieces seemed to work fine. However, that audio splitter box seemed to still cause some apps to have trouble. Once it was kicked out of the chain, all worked as desired.

So via 2 completely separate setups, the new AppleTV seems to be pretty finicky on initial setup. That's likely a software thing. Fix for now is to bypass everything else with direct connection, make your menu setup selections to config it as you want it, then put middle links back in again.

Last edited:

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I'm not familiar with Yamaha receivers, but I had a Denon receiver that would not pass thru Dolby Vision video but played HDR. Try connecting the Apple TV directly to the television and see if it plays a DV movie that way just to test. I ended up having to buy a newer model receiver to get DV pass thru.

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
According to Rtings, your TV can do HDR10+:

Frankly, I would trust them over whoever you talked to at Samsung. But unfortunately, Samsung TVs that support HDR10+ but were released before 2019 do not actually display “HDR10+” on their Info screen. If you have the new ATV and it gives you the option to turn on HDR10+, your TV can do it.
That's a good website, I had not found that one before. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to think about what I want to do going forward.

You make a good point about if the ATV gives me the option to enable HDR10+ then the TV probably supports it. You are probably right. It's frustrating that I apparently can't make use of all the possible features of the TV.

Reactions: musicman0725

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
Friends
Please do help
I’m looking at your receiver here:

And don’t see any sign that it supports Dolby Vision. I’d try connecting your ATV directly to your TV to see if it works using both HDMI cables. If both cables work, it’s your receiver.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I have a 2017 58MU6070 Samsung TV and I have the option to turn on HDR10+. I didn’t think my tv supported it either.

Samsung started supporting HDR10+ with their 2017 4K TV models. They actually originally said they would update the 2016 models to support it but they never did.

However, I think they only updated the information banner to include the HDR10+ label with the 2019 models. One thing to be aware of is that the HDR+ picture mode toggle on older Samsung models is not the same as HDR10+.

Sigvard

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
I just upgraded my main Apple TV to the 2022 version with HDR10+ support for my Samsung OLED. It seems to be playing a lot of DV movies from iTunes as HDR10+, including movies that never had an HDR10+ grading to begin with. Can anyone else report on this? Most DV movies in my iTunes Library now play as HDR10+ including the latest restoration (2022) of the Godfather trilogy that only had DV and HDR10 grading.

I don't think it's tone mapping by the Apple TV since it doesn't happen to all DV movies, including The Fifth Element which plays in HDR10 as expected on my non-DV TV. Have the studios been sitting on this throve of HDR10+ grading all this time? Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Blade Runner 2049, and Inception amongst others which never had any HDR10+ release now plays as HDR10+ on my TV.

Here’s a link to my initial thread on Reddit about this.

mgxW2kL.jpg

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
i am using the HDMI cable came with Apple TV HD, does the HDMI cable matters?
I reread your post. Better to connect it to your tv and try check your HDMI connection setting again. The cable does matter. The mono price was sold out that I checked but Amazon has just in case.

and what onafriday said.

bigtallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I just upgraded my main Apple TV to the 2022 version with HDR10+ support for my Samsung OLED. It seems to be playing a lot of DV movies from iTunes as HDR10+, including movies that never had an HDR10+ grading to begin with. Can anyone else report on this? Most DV movies in my iTunes Library now play as HDR10+ including the latest restoration (2022) of the Godfather trilogy that only had DV and HDR10 grading.

I don't think it's tone mapping by the Apple TV since it doesn't happen to all DV movies, including The Fifth Element which plays in HDR10 as expected on my non-DV TV. Have the studios been sitting on this throve of HDR10+ grading all this time? Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Blade Runner 2049, and Inception amongst others which never had any HDR10+ release now plays as HDR10+ on my TV.

mgxW2kL.jpg
Yep. That’s what I started the post about. Would be nice if Apple gave some clarity around this since most everyone seems to be confused or speculating as to how this is happening.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007

mgxW2kL.jpg
I agree. I don't think it's tone mapping by the Apple TV since the internal Samsung ATV app is also playing a lot (but not all) of content in HDR10+. In fact, most of my content that I have linked with Movies Anywhere to Amazon has played in HDR10+ for a long time on the Amazon app, so I think many studios support both formats (HDR10+ and DV). From what I read, the HLS stream was being updated by Apple to support the HDR10+ format so I think as long as you are on a supported device most content will now be available in the new format.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
I reread your post. Better to connect it to your tv and try check your HDMI connection setting again. The cable does matter. The mono price was sold out that I checked but Amazon has just in case.

and what onafriday said.
Yes i just comnected my tv with atv 4k directly and its showing me 4k DOLBY VISION 60hz, that means my avr is the main culprit 😂, but now its in dolby vision there is no option for chroma selection, previously it was showing me chroma to select, and now its gone

eeatman3

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2022
sorry if mentioned previously. every external device and every tv connected to it must BOTH support Dolby Vision. Since Samsung does not support this impossible for it to play DV.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I tested a few movies I own on iTunes tonight with the new 3rd gen ATV4k that all were marked as Dolby Vision and of those only Ad Astra played in HDR10+ on my Samsung S95B

Father Stu & 1776 played in plain HDR
I was wondering how do you like your Samsung S95B? Tempted by it, not sure if I will get it but it seems to be highly rated. Just a little worried about the lack of DV, is that a big issue?

Sigvard

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Upon further testing, it looks like Hulu supports HDR10+ on some of their original series. Is Disney+ up next?

As for movies purchased from iTunes, many DV-compatible movies from my collection have been upgraded from HDR to HDR10+, but I noticed that movies by Sony that indicate DV does not have the HDR10+ layer.

I was wondering how do you like your Samsung S95B? Tempted by it, not sure if I will get it but it seems to be highly rated. Just a little worried about the lack of DV, is that a big issue?

You didn't ask me but I love my S95B. I don't think the lack of DV is an issue especially now that studios seem to be rolling out HDR10+ compatibility.

Sigvard

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
They provide HDR10+ source instead of conversion on the fly.

Neat, so this confirms that the studios have had these unreleased HDR10+ versions for years now OR Apple pushed them to provide the updated metadata before the launch of the new Apple TVs. It's crazy that this hasn't been publicized yet, considering HDR10+ had been stagnant for years.

I do believe it's on a studio-by-studio basis since Dolby Vision Sony films in my library have not been updated for HDR10+ yet, while a ton of my others that never had an HDR10+ release have.

Reactions: musicman0725

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Neat, so this confirms that the studios have had these unreleased HDR10+ versions for years now OR Apple pushed them to provide the updated metadata before the launch of the new Apple TVs. It's crazy that this hasn't been publicized yet, considering HDR10+ had been stagnant for years.

I do believe it's on a studio-by-studio basis since Dolby Vision Sony films in my library have not been updated for HDR10+ yet, while a ton of my others that never had an HDR10+ release have.
Amazon Prime has had HDR10+ for most of my purchased content for a couple years. I use Movies Anywhere to link my ATV library with Amazon. Also, the Sony content I purchased on ATV is available in HDR10+ w/ the Amazon Prime app (i.e. Spiderman: No Way Home). Not sure why Sony content isn't showing up in HDR10+ w/ Apple now that the format is supported but it definitely is on a studio by studio basis.

Sigvard

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Amazon Prime has had HDR10+ for most of my purchased content for a couple years. I use Movies Anywhere to link my ATV library with Amazon. Also, the Sony content I purchased on ATV is available in HDR10+ w/ the Amazon Prime app (i.e. Spiderman: No Way Home). Not sure why Sony content isn't showing up in HDR10+ w/ Apple now that the format is supported but it definitely is on a studio by studio basis.

I just checked Spider-Man on Amazon Prime Video (since I got it via MA) and it does indeed show up as HDR10+ there.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Just my $0.02: My system, Non Samsung 4K TV, supports bought HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (4K). ATV connected directly to TV (I did replace the HDMI cable with an Highwings High Speed HDMI Braided Cord-4K@120Hz 8K@60Hz, DTS:X, HDCP 2.2 & 2.3, HDR 10 Compatible with Roku TV/PS5/HDTV/Blu-ray 6ft. (Amazon) $10 because the old cable was an early 4K)
A Google search on HDR10+ and Dolby Vision says Dolby is better. But I can't tell any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.