Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
How exactly do Android users feel left out? Oh, right, because obnoxious iPhone users haunt them. Android user would have no way of knowing about the iPhone user's issue with bubble colors unless the latter contacts the former about it.
Nobody cares about your text being green except android users who made up this narrative.

My friend and I joked that I would hate for iMessage to go to android because how will I know if I’m talking to an android user.

She joked back “just look at their Snapchat pic quality” 😂

But it was a joke.

Reactions: duffman9000

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This what I got out of all the that. The DoJ claims Apple makes it hard for customers to switch to Android.

It's not hard. Maybe inconvenient. But that's always the case when one chooses to change platforms.

Perhaps the DoJ should read this article: Android vs iOS. Android is apparently more popular than they think.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
My friend and I joked that I would hate for iMessage to go to android because how will I know if I’m talking to an android user.
How is this information (talking to an android user) important in any way?

[edit] Regarding encryption: We encryption freaks in Europe use Signal for that!

Last edited:

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I never said it is easy for DOJ. My response is for somebody who said the case was a joke and that it was falling apart. It is not. It is as ok to say they might lose it as it is to say they will win it. What the final verdict will be is not known until the case is tried in the courts.
The case is weak and like what was posted, unless they have some extensive surprising evidence, I'm not sure if all or some of will get past pre-trial.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
This what I got out of all the that. The DoJ claims Apple makes it hard for customers to switch to Android.

It's not hard. Maybe inconvenient. But that's always the case when one chooses to change platforms.

Perhaps the DoJ should read this article: Android vs iOS. Android is apparently more popular than they think.
And that is Google's job just like Apple created a process to move from Android to iPhone.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Looks like Apple is making the iOS 18 the biggest update because of China.

"
Instead, Mr. Li went to the Huawei flagship store directly across the street, where he contemplated the Mate 60 Pro.

“I don’t want to use iOS anymore,” he said, referring to the iPhone’s operating system. “It’s a bit stale.”"
China mostly used WeChat, so not buying it one bit.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I want to make it clear that I don't believe Apple's development of the App Store was driven by altruistic motives. As you pointed out, software for the Macintosh platform was scarce, and I think Apple's institutional fear of relying too heavily on large developers for the success of their platform is why the App Store was designed to promote the distribution of free and low-cost apps by small developers.

just my 2¢! 🤓
Worth a billion bucks right there. ;)

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Apple is already working to implement RCS. Most likely because of the EU saying the same things, and this imminent lawsuit. It's not like it was a secret.
It’s not the EU
RCS is because of regulations in china is why Apple have to adopt it

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
How is this information (talking to an android user) important in any way?

[edit] Regarding encryption: We encryption freaks in Europe use Signal for that!
We joked that we judge a person based on the text color lol. But we aren’t serious. I don’t care about encryption. Nothing I text Is that serious

I do appreciate texting iPhone users though.

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I thought the whole basis of competition was to make something better if you're losing sales and relevance to the market. The likes of Google, Samsung and Dell have the choice to invest and make better products. In my recent decision-making to buy a new laptop and phone I looked at everything else and despite any negative feelings I may have about Apple the quality of the new Air M3 and iPhone 15 were far above anything else I handled. I also feel far safer and more secure within the walled garden.
The DOJ should suggest to Apple's competitors that they should maybe try harder and stop whinging.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
So, besides spamming the forum with the same link over and over and over...did you even read that article, besides the headline and opening sentence? Because the article outlines that this is a difficult case for the DOJ, hinging, as I said earlier, on the hurdle of proving a monopoly at 65-70% marketshare. The article makes the point that the DOJ filed the case in New Jersey hoping to ride the coattails of a prior monopoly case that was won there with a company that had 80% marketshare.

This case never gets past the initial phase. Apple is not a monopoly. But again, even if they do, good luck with the green bubbles argument. That will seriously be comedy gold when the DOJ tries to argue it.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
So, besides spamming the forum with the same link over and over and over...did you even read that article, besides the headline and opening sentence? Because the article outlines that this is a difficult case for the DOJ, hinging, as I said earlier, on the hurdle of proving a monopoly at 65-70% marketshare. The article makes the point that the DOJ filed the case in New Jersey hoping to ride the coattails of a prior monopoly case that was won there with a company that had 80% marketshare.

This case never gets past the initial phase. Apple is not a monopoly. But again, even if they do, good luck with the green bubbles argument. That will seriously be comedy gold when the DOJ tries to argue it.
Thanks for reading it. If guys keep posting the same thing, I will have to keep posting the same link as an answer. If the question does not change, the answer cannot change too. :)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Exactly, you keep saying the same thing so I keep answering the same thing. :)
I read what you posted several times, and as others pointed out, I struggled to see how it truly supported what you are trying to sell.

That’s not to say it’s a slam dunk for the government. The DOJ is making the case that Apple’s 65–70 percent share of the smartphone market gives it dominance. Despite a number of careful strategic choices — like the broad scope of the case and a favorable venue — the DOJ will likely have a pretty challenging time of it.

Also, this person isn't a lawyer or scholar.

By Lauren Feiner, the senior policy reporter at The Verge, covering the intersection of Silicon Valley and Capitol Hill. She spent 5 years covering tech policy at CNBC, writing about antitrust, privacy, and content moderation reform.

Reactions: icanhazmac

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
They always “claim” it is the biggest OS update ever. Then when it gets here . . . . not so much!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for reading it. If guys keep posting the same thing, I will have to keep posting the same link as an answer. If the question does not change, the answer cannot change too. :)
But your link doesn't answer anything really. It's a couple of people who think it's a well-written argument, buried in a bunch of reasons that it will be a difficult case for the DOJ. So maybe it's you who needs to read the article deeper than just the headline.

Reactions: icanhazmac

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
I have won a few motions to dismiss in my life and they were never on the merits of a case. Nor where they on criminal cases.

This is a civil case. I didn’t say an MTD was a certainty, just a possibility given that Apple has successfully used it before in at least one antitrust case on the basis of failure to establish a monopoly in a market. See Coronavirus Reporter v. Apple (Ninth Circuit 2023).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.