Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I think they may not intend to go ahead with, or win all areas. It’s quite often they will use extra counts that can be used as bargaining chips.

And my point was that not all cases are designed to go 'full term'.

"William Kovacic, a former FTC chair who teaches antitrust at George Washington University Law School, says the Apple complaint is “well-written” and shows the DOJ is “learning a lot and applying their learning very effectively across the different cases they’ve been having.” The government, he says, has probably paid close attention to what happened in Epic’s lawsuit against Apple over the App Store. “They’ve written a complaint in a way that seeks to avoid weaknesses that I think the judge might have seen in that case, to add additional material so it’s not simply a reprise of Epic v. Apple.”"

• Haha
Reactions: wbeasley

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I have to underline the deep hypocrisy in here of everyone saying the DOJ should get their fingers of their beloved, perfect, infallible apples.

Yet, when the conversation comes to AVP, Mac or iPhone, it’s all cynicism and criticism of how increasingly little innovation and advancement we’re seeing with every new generation of Apple chips, lacking security updates, outdated iOS changes, but how prices keep climbing and climbing way beyond the market average.

Hilarious how nobody then is able to draw parallels between Apple getting away with overcharging and disappointing way beyond any other brand and the arguments the DOJ is making here.

Oh, no, there couldn’t be anything to it. Apple’s marketing team told me the emperor is wearing the finest garments known to man, and that the taxes he imposes are fair and necessary. So obviously, that’s correct.

Don’t question it or the emperor might tax us even more unfairly than he already does!

I guess the “I want to be able to screw over consumers when I create my own Apple Inc. someday, so obviously Apple should be free to do so today”-argument is also a key to understanding this blind defense of Apple I’m seeing in here.

The American Dream will certainly be our undoing!

Reactions: ictiosapiens

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I recently bought a bmw and all of my toyota aftermarket parts can't be used for bmw. Oh no, bmw must be sued! Such BS.

Who forced consumer to buy airpods when they have a choice to buy other wireless earphone? Lots of accessories made for iphones should be used for the iphone and not other phones.

Btw, I'm not Apple fan boy because I used both samsung and apple. We have a choice not to use Apple eco system. Let's not forget that.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
So you're saying it's illegal for Apple to invest money to develop apps to help sell the products they make ? iMessage has a minority market share compared to WhatsApp and iPhone users are free to install WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, FB Messenger, or whatever messenger app floats their boat. If you're going to follow the ridiculous DOJ logic then what's your opinion on the every airline, hotel, and retail business offering a loyalty program with the sole purpose for locking in customers ? Last I checked my JetBlue points are not transferrable to United.
It's a tightrope. See Microsoft had to unbundle Internet Explorer in the EU for the same reason. You could argue, well anyone could install Firefox or Opera (at the time, this is before Chrome). So what's the big deal?

The big deal is that iMessage is enabled by default takes over from SMS and offers a highly superior experience but only for iOS and macOS users. Thus consumers are very unlikely to try competing messaging systems because they do not integrate with the SMS component of the phone or default SMS app of the iPhone which is where iMessage is fully integrated.

Now if you could install Whatsapp (as an example) and it integrated fully with the Messages app like iMessage does or you could select Whatsapp to be the default messaging system and it could handle not just Whatsapp messages but SMS messages, then it's different.

Similar story with web browsers on the iPhone. You can install Firefox, Chrome, Edge and so on. But they all use Safari under the hood, it's the same browser engine that Apple makes. So it doesn't matter which one you use they all render the same. It removes the point of even switching, and hurts consumer choice (because its more an illusion of choice).

Again the EU has slapped Apple for this and they now have to allow 3rd party browsers to use their own rendering engines, but Apple is only complying with these rules inside the EU itself.

Another example if we go back to messaging is RCS. A standard to replace SMS and bring it much-needed features that iMessage and Whatsapp have, but natively. Apple has dragged their feet on this for years and has only just now announced support, why? because the Chinese government has made a rule that all phones released there from 2025 must have RCS built-in or they cannot be sold there.

Who wins? - We do as consumers. We get a better phone with more competitive apps and better support for technological standards (like RCS) which would make our lives better when we message Android people. Don't you want to send them high-quality images and video? - These are the sorts of things RCS enables right in the Messages app you already know and love without resorting to third-party messaging apps like Whatsapp.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
"William Kovacic, a former FTC chair who teaches antitrust at George Washington University Law School, says the Apple complaint is “well-written” and shows the DOJ is “learning a lot and applying their learning very effectively across the different cases they’ve been having.” The government, he says, has probably paid close attention to what happened in Epic’s lawsuit against Apple over the App Store. “They’ve written a complaint in a way that seeks to avoid weaknesses that I think the judge might have seen in that case, to add additional material so it’s not simply a reprise of Epic v. Apple.”"

Since you're only cherry-picking articles that make your case ...

“To win in court, you need to have really strong claims,” University of Arizona Law Professor Barak Orbach told Payments Dive. “I’m not so sure that I see in the complaint that was filed very strong claims. Now, it could be that they have some smoking gun evidence. But until it is introduced, it will be very difficult to win in court.”

Apple has said it would file a motion to dismiss the case within the next two months.

Reactions: wbeasley

.wojtek

macrumors regular
Reading through this, it seems mostly that the DOJ et al. are filing suit because Apple doesn't do things the way they want Apple to. Eg. Apple charges too much for an iPhone. How is that an anti-trust issue? Are BMWs? Teslas? McLaren's? too expensive. Most of this seems like a reach.
you picked like the most dumb example ever xDD

first of all - there are at least dozen automakers out there. If you pick one you are not forced to tank gas only at certain gas stations and then only use dedicated roads... can you at least see stupidity and abusive bevaviour of apple in your own example?

Reactions: Beautyspin

dreamerstree

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2021
Typical government stepping in to try and control things they don’t understand. They fail to see the difference between choice and “hooked.” People have the choice to use different products. They choose not to.

The DOJ can build their own phone and see how that works out.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apple should be happy that the DOJ and the EU are forcing them to change. Because Apple is dead. The company is not innovating and has missed every opportunity to expand its business into new markets.
Instead of sticking with the iPhone (and iPhone gadgets like the AWatch), it should have been building a massive cloud infrastructure, evolving its platforms towards modern container architectures like Docker, investing heavily in AI and getting into the Internet of Things. Apple's goal of becoming a service company has been reduced to making massive profits from the AppStore.
But Tim is still busy selling Jobs' products and adding tons of features to iOS/macOS or developing countless different iPhone versions - which Jobs would have hated.

So today everyone (except Tim/Phil) realizes that history is repeating itself. Jobs' comment about Apple could have come from a newspaper today:

What ruined Apple was not growth … They got very greedy … Instead of following the original trajectory of the original vision, which was to make the thing an appliance and get this out there to as many people as possible … they went for profits. They made outlandish profits for about four years. What this cost them was their future. What they should have been doing is making rational profits and going for market share.”
Steve Jobs

So we all need the EU and DOJ that forces Apple to move into a new direction. Apple needs a new CEO, a product guy, someone like Nadella who was able to change Microsoft. Tims business model to "lock competition out, lock users in" is dead and so will be Apple, if it's not getting fresh visions and starts innovating again.

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
It's a tightrope. See Microsoft had to unbundle Internet Explorer in the EU for the same reason. You could argue, well anyone could install Firefox or Opera (at the time, this is before Chrome). So what's the big deal?

The big deal is that iMessage is enabled by default takes over from SMS and offers a highly superior experience but only for iOS and macOS users. Thus consumers are very unlikely to try competing messaging systems because they do not integrate with the SMS component of the phone or default SMS app of the iPhone which is where iMessage is fully integrated.

Now if you could install Whatsapp (as an example) and it integrated fully with the Messages app like iMessage does or you could select Whatsapp to be the default messaging system and it could handle not just Whatsapp messages but SMS messages, then it's different.

Similar story with web browsers on the iPhone. You can install Firefox, Chrome, Edge and so on. But they all use Safari under the hood, it's the same browser engine that Apple makes. So it doesn't matter which one you use they all render the same. It removes the point of even switching, and hurts consumer choice (because its more an illusion of choice).

Again the EU has slapped Apple for this and they now have to allow 3rd party browsers to use their own rendering engines, but Apple is only complying with these rules inside the EU itself.

Another example if we go back to messaging is RCS. A standard to replace SMS and bring it much-needed features that iMessage and Whatsapp have, but natively. Apple has dragged their feet on this for years and has only just now announced support, why? because the Chinese government has made a rule that all phones released there from 2025 must have RCS built-in or they cannot be sold there.

Who wins? - We do as consumers. We get a better phone with more competitive apps and better support for technological standards (like RCS) which would make our lives better when we message Android people. Don't you want to send them high-quality images and video? - These are the sorts of things RCS enables right in the Messages app you already know and love without resorting to third-party messaging apps like Whatsapp.

The Internet Explorer integration was relevant because Windows, with 95% *global* market share at that time, was clearly a monopoly. Given the near complete domination over everyone who owns a computer the US was concerned with how that monopoly power is leveraged. In that case it was the bundling of a browser. Unlike the 95% global market share of Windows the iPhone is about 20% and dropping. Do you think that an obvious monopoly like Windows at that time ? The US precedence is 70%+ market share which is precisely why the DOJ is using the shady tactic of making up their own unheard of category of "performance smartphones" and saying Apple has 70% of that market. This is incredibly deceptive and it would be shocking for the court to accept this. If you want to make up categories to create convenient facts you could also say that the iPhone is 90% of the "teenage smartphone market in the US." You could even be more creative and say that the iPhone is 100% of the "iOS smartphone market." As ridiculous as this is this was actually tried during the App Store litigation when Epic tried to establish the entire App Store market as "iOS" as if Android doesn't even exist (ie Apple App Store is 100% of the iOS App Store market). The bottom line is that what Apple does with iMessage, their calendar, weather app, mail app, etc. is only relevant AFTER you establish that the iPhone is a monopoly. That's why the DOJ didn't care what browser, or any apps, Apple bundled with the Macintosh at that time. You can't be abusing your monopoly power with green bubbles if you're not already a monopoly.

The current DOJ strategy is this:

1) Create a new non-standard category that convenient puts the iPhone over the 70% "monopoly" threshold
2) Now that the iPhone is an alleged "monopoly" what Apple does with iMessage, Apple Watch, etc. falls under different legal requirements and scrutiny for abusive behavior.
3) Use circular logic to say that the illegal iMessage tactics (illegal because the iPhone is a "monopoly") to reaffirm that the iPhone is a "monopoly" and is maintained due to "illegal" tactics from point #2.

The same applies to the rest of your points about webkit, etc. If the iPhone isn't a "monopoly" then none of the arguments the DOJ cites is relevant. You can't bootstrap your case the way the DOJ is attempting to do. However, I just witnessed how Fani Willis, with misdeeds that would cause any other lawyer to lose their license, walk away and continue to prosecute a case as a sitting DA. In normal times a DA would recuse herself from the case or be dismissed. We have a SCOTUS where highly confidential decisions about Roe v Wade is leaked to the press in an attempt to influence outcomes. In this political environment I don't doubt anything is possible. Laws don't seem to apply anymore. Here in CA I can just walk into any store to take $950 worth of product each day and walk out past a security guard who cannot touch me.

*I've used monopoly in quotes because this case is trying to prove that Apple has monopoly pricing power which doesn't require that they completely dominate the market like Windows in the past. Also, the DMA is a non-US law and this is a trial to establish liability, not remedy or any new regulations. What the EU "slaps Apple with" regarding browsers is completely irrelevant here.

Last edited:

nightfox818

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Case is a joke. I thought it would be about the App Store. Instead it’s about “green bubbles” and banks not being able to create their own apps for every one of your credit cards.
And this is why I think it’s bollocks. If Apple let every bank have its own wallet, I’d have like 5 different wallets. There’s no chance Barclays would allow a Chase card in their wallet. And Amex definitely wouldn’t let any other card in theirs. This would be great for banks, but I’d go back to carrying physical cards again because I can always put those in the same wallet.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Since you're only cherry-picking articles that make your case ...

“To win in court, you need to have really strong claims,” University of Arizona Law Professor Barak Orbach told Payments Dive. “I’m not so sure that I see in the complaint that was filed very strong claims. Now, it could be that they have some smoking gun evidence. But until it is introduced, it will be very difficult to win in court.”

Apple has said it would file a motion to dismiss the case within the next two months.

I never said it is easy for DOJ. My response is for somebody who said the case was a joke and that it was falling apart. It is not. It is as ok to say they might lose it as it is to say they will win it. What the final verdict will be is not known until the case is tried in the courts.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I'm internally celebrating since I recently switched to an S24u and faced with having to sell my ultra watch 2, airpods pro 2 and airtags because they no longer work...
Hold on... You had to sell your Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods Pro 2, and AirTags because Samsung hasn't made their own OS work with those Apple products, and you're happy because Apple will have to make Samsung watches, Samsung headphones, and Samsung trackers work with the iPhone?

Doesn't make any sense unless you think Apple should be forced to support everything, while their competitors don't have to do the same for Apple?

• Love
Reactions: steve09090

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The Internet Explorer integration was relevant because Windows, with 95% *global* market share at that time, was clearly a monopoly. Given the near complete domination over everyone who owns a computer the US was concerned with how that monopoly power is leveraged. In that case it was the bundling of a browser. Unlike the 95% global market share of Windows the iPhone is about 20% and dropping. Do you think that an obvious monopoly like Windows at that time ? The US precedence is 70%+ market share which is precisely why the DOJ is using the shady tactic of making up their own unheard of category of "performance smartphones" and saying Apple has 70% of that market. This is incredibly deceptive and it would be shocking for the court to accept this. If you want to make up categories to create convenient facts you could also say that the iPhone is 90% of the "teenage smartphone market in the US." You could even be more creative and say that the iPhone is 100% of the "iOS smartphone market." As ridiculous as this is this was actually tried during the App Store litigation when Epic tried to establish the entire App Store market as "iOS" as if Android doesn't even exist (ie Apple App Store is 100% of the iOS App Store market). The bottom line is that what Apple does with iMessage, their calendar, weather app, mail app, etc. is only relevant AFTER you establish that the iPhone is a monopoly. That's why the DOJ didn't care what browser, or any apps, Apple bundled with the Macintosh at that time. You can't be abusing your monopoly power with green bubbles if you're not already a monopoly.

The current DOJ strategy is this:

1) Create a new non-standard category that convenient puts the iPhone over the 70% "monopoly" threshold
2) Now that the iPhone is an alleged "monopoly" what Apple does with iMessage, Apple Watch, etc. falls under different legal requirements and scrutiny for abusive behavior.
3) Use circular logic to say that the illegal iMessage tactics (illegal because the iPhone is a "monopoly") to reaffirm that the iPhone is a "monopoly" and is maintained due to "illegal" tactics from point #2.

The same applies to the rest of your points about webkit, etc. If the iPhone isn't a "monopoly" then none of the arguments the DOJ cites is relevant. You can't bootstrap your case the way the DOJ is attempting to do. However, I just witnessed how Fani Willis, with misdeeds that would cause any other lawyer to lose their license, walk away and continue to prosecute a case as a sitting DA. In normal times a DA would recuse herself from the case or be dismissed. We have a SCOTUS where highly confidential decisions about Roe v Wade is leaked to the press in an attempt to influence outcomes. In this political environment I don't doubt anything is possible. Laws don't seem to apply anymore. Here in CA I can just walk into any store to take $950 worth of product each day and walk out past a security guard who cannot touch me.

*I've used monopoly in quotes because this case is trying to prove that Apple has monopoly pricing power which doesn't require that they completely dominate the market like Windows in the past. Also, the DMA is a non-US law and this is a trial to establish liability, not remedy or any new regulations. What the EU "slaps Apple with" regarding browsers is completely irrelevant here.
I read everything you said in full and in my own opinion the DoJ is doing the right thing here. I do feel that their market share in the US is artificially held high by lock-ins and abuse of their market position.

And yes I do see the 88% teenage ownership metric as a concerning trend because we know from all markets (whether it's shoes, vehicles or phones) that when you get someone hooked on a particular brand young they are more likely to continue buying that brand their entire lives. So 88% of teens today could translate to 86% of adults in another 10 years from now.

And that isn't a problem in itself if Apple is playing fair and the friction to switch platforms isn't high, I just don't personally believe they are playing fair. My personal belief based on my own interpretation of the facts is that they've abused their market position and I largely agree with the DoJ's assertions in their legal brief as I have also done with the EU's legal cases against Apple.

Now I'm not saying the DoJ is going to win every part of their case. There are parts I disagree with that I outlined in my initial post (Amazon's phone failure for example) but there are I feel some strong cases to be made for Apple not allowing sideloading, not allowing third-party app stores on the iPhone, not allowing 3rd party browser rendering engines, not allowing full integration for other messaging platforms, not supporting RCS, not allowing other smart watches to integrate properly with the iPhone by denying apps that would attempt to bridge that functionality gap etc

I think I fully understand your position here, I do comprehend what you're saying. I just have a difference of opinion about the same facts that we both agree to be true.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Looks like Apple is making the iOS 18 the biggest update because of China.

"
Instead, Mr. Li went to the Huawei flagship store directly across the street, where he contemplated the Mate 60 Pro.

“I don’t want to use iOS anymore,” he said, referring to the iPhone’s operating system. “It’s a bit stale.”"

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Someone needs to inform Merrick Garland that even if Apple were a monopoly, being a monopoly isn't illegal in the US.
That's correct. Monopolies aren't inherently illegal in the U.S.

However, the ways in which a monopoly is achieved and maintained can make the way a monopoly acts illegal:

"Judging the conduct of an alleged monopolist requires an in-depth analysis of the market and the means used to achieve or maintain the monopoly. Obtaining a monopoly by superior products, innovation, or business acumen is legal; however, the same result achieved by exclusionary or predatory acts may raise antitrust concerns.

Exclusionary or predatory acts may include such things as exclusive supply or purchase agreements; tying; predatory pricing; or refusal to deal."

Monopolization Defined

Is Apple able to over-charge consumers for internal storage upgrades, iCloud, accessories, etc., because it offers superior products that offer much higher value the than competition?

Or is Apple able to over-charge as extortionately as it does because consumers cannot do after-market upgrades, don't get memory card slots on iPhones, can't opt for faster and cheaper iCloud competitors while getting the same level of OS integration, the file-management system when plugging in external drives to an iPhone are unusable by comparison to using the internal storage on an iPhone, etc.?

Or is it only fair that Apple can get away with over-charging for extremely low-value hardware that is found in products like its $429 and $799-$899 iPhones because of how high-value, superior and innovative its SoCs are?

I'm not saying it's either way. But considering how insanely high Apple's profit margins are, and how much of the smartphone market it controls, I think these things are worth considering.

zzmd

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Give me a break. These claims have been around for a decades. Ask the question why now such a big push for an antitrust lawsuit? Is it perhaps apples usefulness to this administration has now waned but more importantly iCloud services have provided evidence in the ongoing Biden corruption case that is not exactly helpful.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
This what happens if you do not “play ball” with the people in power.
I think the opposite is the case here. "playing ball" with people in power delayed the opening of this case that long. Without that, i'm sure, this would have happened years earlier...

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
This case is so incredibly weak.

It won't get past the "monopoly" question, and then everything goes away. Which is a shame, because I'd like to see the silly arguments the DOJ would try to make about how Apple uses SMS and green bubbles.

But this case is going nowhere.
Don’t say that. Seems the DOJ is building their case on the European Commission's (EC) 2018 Android Decision (Decision) finding that Google had abused multiple dominant positions in relation to the Android mobile operating system platform to target Apple on the same metrics. As EU have put in to practice many new anti trust measures over the decades while the DOJ have limited experience with it.

Apple and Google are not direct competitors in relation to smart mobile OS and app stores
One of the most disputed aspects of the case concerned market definitions and Google's dominance in the worldwide market (excluding China) for (i) licensable mobile OS and (ii) Android app stores.
Google's key argument was that the EC wrongly focused its assessment on OEMs but failed to properly consider the competitive pressure from Apple app stores and OS in relation to users and developers.
  • The General Court confirmed that Android and iOS are not in the same market since Apple does not offer to license its iOS to other OEMs. In relation to users and developers, the competition is only indirect and Apple does not exert sufficient indirect competitive pressure on Google to constrain its conduct. The General Court agreed with the EC's analysis that due to switching costs and users' loyalty to their OS, users would not switch to Apple in case of a small but significant non-transitory decrease in quality of the OS (the SSNDQ test). As users would not switch, the same is true for developers, who would not abandon Android's large user base.
  • The General Court acknowledged that the SSNDQ test, which has never been used before by the EC, can be a useful tool in the analysis of zero-price markets and that the test does not require a specific or precise quantification of degradation of quality.
  • The General Court also shed some light on the assessment of digital markets in general, acknowledging that parameters such as innovation, user behaviour or network effects may be more important than price. It also stated that in a digital "ecosystem" relevant markets may overlap. The markets at issue in the Android case were considered "distinct but interconnected".
Google's tying of the Play Store with Google Search and Chrome browser created a competitive advantage that competitors could not offset

Google required OEMs to pre-install the Google Search app and Chrome browser, as a condition for licensing its Play Store.
The General Court noted that the EC correctly relied on the same legal test as in Microsoft v. Commission (T-201/04) by examining the actual effects of the practices to establish harm to competition. It added that when a conduct covers several years, the restriction of competition may be established by finding that practices have eliminated or hampered sources of competition which would otherwise have taken place or developed.

The General Court concluded that even though theoretically OEMs could pre-install the competing apps or users could download them, these were not credible alternatives for Google's rivals, in part because status quo bias renders users reluctant to download alternative apps, and partly because of the combined effect of Google's agreements with OEMs, which prevented OEMs from installing a competing app to Google Search and from setting competing browsers as default.

The General Court also considered that there is no practical difference between a default setting and pre-installation as their effects are similar. The Court considered a range of evidence, including behavioural data on user switching, in coming to its conclusion, which supports the EC's position that it can consider new types of evidence when bringing cases, especially in the digital sphere.

The General Court also rejected Google's argument that its conduct was objectively justified as necessary to monetise Google's substantial investment in Android and ensure that it remains free. The General Court found that the practices were not necessary as Google had other significant sources of revenue to finance Android.

Protection of the Android "ecosystem" cannot justify the exclusion of non-compatible Android open source forks from the market

In the Decision, the EC had found that Google's AFAs prohibited OEMs who distributed devices with Google apps to also distribute devices with open source versions of Android that were not approved by Google (i.e., Android forks). The EC considered that this restricted competition as it deprived consumers of alternative versions of OS which were not controlled by Google. The practice also strengthened Google's position in general search, as competing general services could be exclusively preinstalled and set as default on such Android forks, so they represented a viable distribution channel for Google's rivals.

The General Court confirmed the EC's reasoning stating that AFAs limited Android forks' access to the market. The General Court clarified that to establish a restriction of competition the extent of competitive pressure or credibility of threat from Android fork is irrelevant. It suffices to establish (as the EC had) that Android forks would be a competitor on the market for licensable OS.

Last edited:

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Looks like Apple is making the iOS 18 the biggest update because of China.

"
Instead, Mr. Li went to the Huawei flagship store directly across the street, where he contemplated the Mate 60 Pro.

“I don’t want to use iOS anymore,” he said, referring to the iPhone’s operating system. “It’s a bit stale.”"
Apple is improving things because it finally got a taste of a little competition from a company its not in bed with. See also: Windows Phone and WebOS.

Look at their satellite products: iPadOS hasn't had a significant update for years that plays to its strengths, instead it has to put up with hand-me-downs from iOS and the Mac. And why is this? Apple has the tablet market pretty much all to itself and no real need to try. The iPad remains a great tablet in spite of Apple and this years' rumoured upgrades are all superflouous display upgrades and nothing interesting.

On the opposite end of the spectrum we have the AppleTV. Because every TV has its own interface or is perhaps hooked up to a games console there is a lot of competition. Apple need to give you a reason to buy their box and whilst tvOS is a bit spartan it also does the job incredibly well! The Apple TV may well be the best product Apple actually sell in terms of price vs utility.

A monopoly in one area has led to stagnation yet competition in another has bred a compelling purchase. If Apple were forced to, for example open the Apple Watch up to Android compatibility it would also mean they have to once again compete instead of just coasting along with a captive audience which in turn breeds better products. Opening up the marketplace in the EU should be forcing Apple to build a better offer to developers rather than punishing them for leaving.

I'm not saying the DOJ has a point. I largely think they should be going after Google and Apple for operating a bedfellow duopoly. But even the staunchest apologetic surely has to admit that they would like Apple to build better more innovative hardware and software?

Reactions: Beautyspin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.