Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Apple is like a car dealership that penalizes you for changing your own car's oil, just because you didn't use their store brand of motor oil. Oh, and your car won't work if you use any other parts that aren't Apple parts. Thanks, Apple.

Steve Jobs has to be spinning in his grave fast enough to generate gravity by this point.

Steve Jobs? The man who removed the arrow keys from the original Mac to force people to use the mouse? Ya I think he would be just fine with all of this. It may have been his idea in the first place.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
You are serious about replacing the camera in your iPhone? I know how to use a screwdriver, that puts me probably ahead of 90% of Apple's customers :-( I wouldn't touch the insides of an iPhone. Sorry, but you are in a tiny minority.
Most people don't want to go to Apple for the same reason they don't want to go to the auto delership where they bought their car. They don't want to be overcharged for repairs that they could do themselves. That's why companies like iFixit exist. They cater to people who want to save money by doing the repairs themselves.

Apple could also make it easier for people to do simple things like replacing their batteries themselves. Why Apple doesn't allow people to do at least this one simple thing is beyond me. Instead they glue the batteries to the cases on just about every product they make.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Which they don't, since there is no way for an independant repair shop to replace the camera, even with a genuine part, without this message showing up as Apple won't give them the software to pair them.
Why does the notification matter if you were going to disclose the repair to the person buying your phone. if you don't plan on selling your phone it matters even less.

Reactions: MauiPa

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple could also make it easier for people to do simple things like replacing their batteries themselves. Why Apple doesn't allow people to do at least this one simple thing is beyond me. Instead they glue the batteries to the cases on just about every product they make.
This is a misleading statement concerning the iPhone. The battery is held in place by easy to remove adhesive strips; just pull the tabs to remove the adhesive.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
It means there are better cameras out there. :cool: Bad news for iphone 12 owners.
that makes no sense. Are you implying that counterfeit cameras are better? If so you really wouldn't care if it was not genuine. However hen you get a crappy camera in a repair, don't you have a right to know? Then if you are happy with it, pop the cork and cheers!

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
That's not how this warning works, though. It only triggers when a camera isn't paired with the board, using software that is only available to AASPs or Apple themselves. It's not protecting the consumer in any way, its protecting Apple's revenue. If Apple really wanted to verify that the camera was genuine, they more than likely could have. What they're doing here is detecting a repair that wasn't done by Apple or an AASP.

You can put a fully functioning, genuine camera in there from a donor phone, and it will still trigger. It's yet another attempt to stop individual repair shops, or owners themselves, from repairing products.
So what? Unless you do the pairing, how would you know it’s genuine? It doesn’t say it’s NOT genuine; it says it’s unable to verify it. This tells you someone besides Apple did the repair. Maybe they used a genuine product, maybe they didn’t, but now you know it was done outside Apple. Some people might not like that.

I love the message.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
as Apple doesn't sell the parts to completely legit (non-Apple certified) repair businesses.
there is no such thing. if you are legit, you take the time and effort to properly train the staff on repairs that the customers want you to repair. Imagine a BMW repair where the technician didn't know what the f he was doing, because he didn't have he tools, manuals, parts and training to do the work. So get legit or quit

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I can see where this could get misused by Apple, but honestly I think it’s a net positive. There are several repair shops in my area that charge a premium for “original” Apple parts. I would be shocked if some or maybe even all of these places are using non-OEM parts and just charging more. Having confirmation within the device will help keep these places honest.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Check youtube for videos on what happens if you swap the camera module from 2 fully functional iPhones.

This is nothing more than hardware DRM. Plain and simple - it only benefits Apple.
by benefitting apple's customers, yes, valid point. Good job

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
The whole point of the right-to-repair movement is to ensure that manufacturers like Apple do make parts available to "completely legit (non-Apple certified) repair businesses".
There is no such thing as a completely legit non-Apple certified repair business. You don't offer to do work on a product that you don't have the tools, expertise, parts and training to do. Telling your customers that you can, when you are not, is lying at best

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
IMO, Apple should encourage third-party Camera upgrades !

Here is a car analogy of what could occur if that were to happen (this caught my attention yesterday):

• Disagree
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
there is no such thing. if you are legit, you take the time and effort to properly train the staff on repairs that the customers want you to repair. Imagine a BMW repair where the technician didn't know what the f he was doing, because he didn't have he tools, manuals, parts and training to do the work. So get legit or quit

Sorry, you don't get it.

There actually are lots of non-authorized repair buisinesess that are very capable. In fact, a lot of them are even more capable than Apple-authorized repair centers, because often authorized repair centers simply ship your iPhone to national Apple centers for repair. This is the reason a lot of local, authorized repair center technicians are in fact less knowledgable, even on basic repairs. If you don't believe me, please do research before making those false claims. For reference, take a look at this video from Louis Rossmann:

Again, I don't say *all* non-authorized repair businesses are good, but a lot of them actually are better than certified ones.

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
IMO, Apple should encourage third-party Camera upgrades !

Here is a car analogy of what could occur if that were to happen (this caught my attention yesterday):

keyword "upgrade". your analogy is failed because you already can get camera upgrade apps if you so desire, there are lots available some are meh, some are outstanding. This is referring to camera hardware replacements. An upgrade would be cool, but would it fit, would it integrate, would it work? Most camera replacements by non-certified shops are not upgrades at all, therein lies the problem. If you do get a repair with non-equivalent parts, it should be disclosed to you by the repair shop that didn't bother to properly train and equip its staff, and you certainly need to disclose it to anyone you are selling the phone too

johnnyzg

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Zagreb
I've learned Today that there are stores which sell Apple products, look like Apple stores and they also service them, but they are not Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). These guys actually can't do these kind of repairs. They've put info that they are Apple Service Provider (ASP), notice that Authorized is missing, which means nothing.
Also, there are smartphone service centers which are Apple Authorized Service Providers, but they also service other phones too and don't promote to be Apple exclusive.
How can regular people know where to bring their device for repair with this kind of confusion in a country where there is no official Apple store?
Something must be done here as there will be a lot of people who will blame Apple because their device displays some strange message after being in what they believe is Apple official service center. This retailer is largest one in the country for selling Apple products so it is expected that most people will go there first. Even I went there when my macbook needed a repair, but they were so expensive that I gave up. It turned out to be a savior as they would replace the wrong part anyway (display cable went faulty and they wanted to replace motherboard).
To make matters worse, these guys are actually more expensive than AASP.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
There is no such thing as a completely legit non-Apple certified repair business. You don't offer to do work on a product that you don't have the tools, expertise, parts and training to do. Telling your customers that you can, when you are not, is lying at best
Wowsers.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
It's not far-fetched for my country. If it is sent for repair I need to buy some phone at least until my phone is back from service (I don't have a spare phone atm), because it takes 30-45 days for any repair. Most people would probably buy a new one and try to sell old one when it gets back from service.
I understand. But what's the problem in repairing with a non-Apple camera and then just ignore the message? Or are there any other downsides except that message?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Wrong.

Now imagine an independant mechanic, who had the skills to work on BMW cars, who was perfectly competent to repair BMW cars, and obtained genuine BMW parts. Let's say that he wanted to replace a part on a customer's car, except BMW have made it so that only they can install a genuine BMW part in a BMW car, since the car's engine management system checks the serial number of the part, and if it doesn't match, the car refuses to start. BMW only provide that software to their authorised garages, who, of course, charge 3 times what that independant mechanic does.

It's anti-consumer behaviour, plain and simple. We wouldn't accept it from other companies, so why do we accept it (and in fact, some people *praise* this behaviour) from consumer electronics companies?!

Now let's step back and say that that independant mechanic could, in fact, become authorised to get that software, if he signed a contract which many in the industry have called predatory, forcing them to be at the mercy of BMW for part availability, refusing to do any repairs which BMW deemed impossible. Apple force you to replace the Motherboard and CPU in an iMac when the motherboard failed as they only ship the part in that configuration, even if the CPU was socketed) - this would be like BMW saying "you're only allowed to replace the entire engine + alternator combo when the alternator fails, since that's how we ship the part". It would be utterly ridiculous.

As for the whole Apple technician's know what they're doing better than independants - I've worked as a genius part time while I was at uni. Geniuses get 2 weeks of basic training and that's it. They're taught how to swap parts, not how to physically repair something.

I genuinely, having worked there, cannot understand how anybody in their right mind could defend Apple's repair practices.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnyzg

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I understand. But what's the problem in repairing with a non-Apple camera and then just ignore the message? Or are there any other downsides except that message?

There are multiple reports online that doing this can lead to camera instability, even with a fully functioning, genuine, camera module.

Apple Crusader

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
Counterfeit cameras will be out of the business. 📷
What is counterfeit about them?

I don't think you understand what counterfeit means.... the cameras are made to be compatible with iPhone, they DO NOT claim to be OEM Apple parts.

If they did claim to be OEM Genuine Apple parts, then yes it would in fact be counterfeit.

Apple Crusader

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
I don't know. Only Apple can answer this question.
Yes. Little Timmy Cook doesn't get more money if you go outside of Apple when getting repairs done.

From what I've seen, it is an insult to geniuses everywhere to call the Genius Bar a Genius Bar, most of those people couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag.

Apple Authorized repair providers are limited in what they can repair, meanwhile reputable people like Louis Rossman can fix most electronics for a fair and reasonable price and show / explain to you what they are doing, what was wrong with the device, and how it works.

Reactions: johnnyzg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.