Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RStanford

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
I really can’t see why this is necessary.
Security. Part of the selling message for the iPhone is that its a trusted device. The images from the camera are generally thought of to be completely secured by the OS. That's part of why people are willing to use it to deposit checks or to take pictures of their credit cards for number capture. If the camera is no longer guaranteed to be trustworthy, those uses (among others) should be reconsidered.

Same issue with the lightning port. That pathway has access to file transfer information, and while replacing it with a random untrusted 3rd party piece of hardware doesn't mean that your phone has been corrupted, it also doesn't mean that Apple's going to continue to claim that it absolutely is not.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes, it benefits Apple, but only as a side-effect. This is meant to ensure that consumers are not misled by uncertified repair shops.

If Apple was being anti-consumer, and this tech could detect unofficial parts, the iPhone could just stop those parts from working entirely. But Apple is not doing that.

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Sounds good to me.

However, with all the iPhones and iPads I've had over the years I've yet to have a camera failure. Or any kind of failure for that matter. Ditto wife and friends.
I just suffered an out of warranty camera failure on my XS Max. No authorized repair service would touch the camera module. All wanted to do a full replacement.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yes, it benefits Apple, but only as a side-effect. This is meant to ensure that consumers are not misled by uncertified repair shops.

If Apple was being anti-consumer, and this tech could detect unofficial parts, the iPhone could just stop those parts from working entirely. But Apple is not doing that.

They quite clearly _are_ doing that. Swapping the camera modules between two iPhones will stop the camera working in certain modes.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
As long as the camera works completely and isn’t restricted I have no problem with it.

I do agree is you have a replacement camera from another iPhone. It shouldn’t throw this flag. Only for 3rd party cameras.

DRM SUCKS

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Cracked screens, non-responsive touch buttons, broken plug stuk inside the headphone connector, corroded lightning connector, and of course several cases of submersion in liquid. But I have never heard of camera failures.
Remember the camera that would slide off center. Had that replaced 2 times.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Why does the notification matter if you were going to disclose the repair to the person buying your phone. if you don't plan on selling your phone it matters even less.
Because I’d you use a replacement camera from another phone. It shouldn’t throw this flag. That is basically DRM

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Because I’d you use a replacement camera from another phone. It shouldn’t throw this flag. That is basically DRM
All Apple media has DRM, which as a user you agree to, so something like an internal camera module seems like a wired thing to object to. Again, unless you are trying to be shady by hiding the repair, how does it affect legitimate users negatively? It's not like this alert is plastered across your screen.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
All Apple media has DRM, which as a user you agree to, so something like an internal camera module seems like a wired thing to object to. Again, unless you are trying to be shady by hiding the repair, how does it affect legitimate users negatively? It's not like this alert is plastered across your screen.
How would using another camera from an identical iPhone be considered shady?

hardware drm is shady to start with

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How would using another camera from an identical iPhone be considered shady?

hardware drm is shady to start with
Using it is not shady, but hiding the repair from a buyer is. After a short time you won't even see the alert unless you drill down into the settings so the only thing the alert does is stop you from hiding the repair form a buyer.

Last edited:

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Using it is not shady, but hiding the repair from a buyer is. The only thing the alert does is stop you from hiding the repair form a buyer.
What am I hiding. A repair with genuine Apple parts. Please. Try to stop defending somethings that’s wrong. 3rd party parts I’m fine with this

so if you took you phone to Apple for a new camera would you tell the buyer? I bet not.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What am I hiding. A repair with genuine Apple parts. Please. Try to stop defending somethings that’s wrong. 3rd party parts I’m fine with this

If you are not hiding the repair why do you care it the alert is in settings?

so if you took you phone to Apple for a new camera would you tell the buyer? I bet not.

I've told buyers when I've had the battery or screen replaced, but this last sentence makes it sound like you do want to hide the repair.

Last edited:

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
If you are not hiding the repair why do you care it the alert is in settings?

I've told buyers when I've had the battery or screen replaced, but this last sentence makes it sound like you do want to hide the repair.
I don’t sell my old phones. So not worried about it. Guess we won’t see eye to eye on this. I won’t defend Apple at all costs.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t sell my old phones. So not worried about it. Guess we won’t see eye to eye on this. I won’t defend Apple at all costs.
Nope, I'm just not seeing an issue with something which has so little bearing on my life, doesn't affect the usability of the phone, and doesnt even stop people from repairing their phones. In 13 years of iPhones I have never had a camera fail, and the only time one was damaged the rest of the phone was broken to the point of needing replacement not repair.

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
That's not how this warning works, though. It only triggers when a camera isn't paired with the board, using software that is only available to AASPs or Apple themselves. It's not protecting the consumer in any way, its protecting Apple's revenue. If Apple really wanted to verify that the camera was genuine, they more than likely could have. What they're doing here is detecting a repair that wasn't done by Apple or an AASP.

You can put a fully functioning, genuine camera in there from a donor phone, and it will still trigger. It's yet another attempt to stop individual repair shops, or owners themselves, from repairing products.
My iPhone 12 promax got camera shattered and it’s been a years do not have a functional rear camera for a year. I couldn’t scan QR codes in a restaurant to get the menu to order unless I use the front camera in awkward way.

Finally I passed by a repair shop at Mong Kok in Hong Kong and the skillfull technician told me he can try and see if it’s a new camera replacement module would fix the problem.

Oh I forgot to say I left the phone in the sink w water for half an hour once while the camera is as broken ….

After she install a replacement camera module, the camera works like a charm. The inside of the phone was clean a spotless. I asked if the camera module is genuine, she says yes. It’s absolutely genuine. The camera front glass has to be replaced also. Unfortunately those are not genuine sapphire lens cover.

It cost me $1000 hkd to repair this and an extra $50 hkd to get a new front screen protector.

The exchange rate is 1 usd to 7.8 hkd. Linked. That’s around $120 hkd.

Now I have an almost new phone except battery not replaced (yet).

I do get the warning message about camera parts, and she told me that’s normal as other customers of her have that also. The camera module is definitely genuine. She said. Some customers says the error will go away after a while or system update. I hope it do.

I placed trust in her job. So far the error is still there but I see no problem with the camera function.

She added: “iPhone is pretty well build. She repairs other brand phones also.”

I am super happy after the camera replacement.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The article misses the big main issue here: Also GENUINE camera parts now cause problems!

It has been proven that when cameras modules from two completely legit iPhones are swapped, it will cause issues. This isn't good for the Right-to-repair movement, as Apple doesn't sell the parts to completely legit (non-Apple certified) repair businesses.

Alright, then you'd ask: why don't they become Apple certified? That's because Apple places a LOT of restrictions on certified repair businesess, completely crippling them, including the fact that those are not allowed to do most repairs in-house anymore. THAT's why a lot of repair business don't want to get Apple-certified. If they don't want to do that, they have to use (genuine) donor hardware for some repairs, which has now become even harder. Some components in iPhones are still fixable directly from some suppliers, but with moves like this, Apple pushes their control crippling the repair industry more and more.
If you go back way in time to the start of the multi camera setups on IPhones, you’ll remember that they’re paired and calibrated *together* in the factory.

That’s why merely swapping one genuine camera for another is going to give you problems.

Has anyone actually looked at how precise and minuscule the hardware for OIS is on camera phones? This isn’t merely swapping out pistons in a car…

Reactions: legatoboy

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
If you go back way in time to the start of the multi camera setups on IPhones, you’ll remember that they’re paired and calibrated *together* in the factory.

That’s why merely swapping one genuine camera for another is going to give you problems.

Has anyone actually looked at how precise and minuscule the hardware for OIS is on camera phones? This isn’t merely swapping out pistons in a car…
do you have a link or source for this? cause i find it pretty hard to believe that they took the time and patient to calibrate each and every iphone and there being hundred millions of iphones each year.

however i have read that each modules has its own code identification number and if that doesn't match up in apple's system, then ios will throw a error and disable certain functions, like screen won't go into night mode or battery can't go into low power mode. i also read that some folks who had their phone repaired by apple and still got these message, they had to go back to the store and they have to update the system.

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007

Ok. I hear you. I understand now that there is missing factory recalibration of the phone camera and it’s less capable than before. I’ll just have to live with what I have as I do not want to spend too much money on phone while it’s still 80% usable.

Mardel71

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
Although this conversation is dated long ago, same things apply. IPhone 12 pro, non original camera problem. Suddenly, without anyone touching my phone, working perfectly for more than two years, until now. When in photo mode, there’s only 1x and 2x camera, in Portrait mode only 2x and no AI imposed shallow depth of field. This is such a nasty move by Apple. I had their devices since “Wallstreet” laptop. However, I believe it is time to move on.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Apple says that if an iPhone camera needs replacement, it's important to use a certified technician because repairs done by non-certified technicians could result in improper function or issues with image quality.
Fear mongering at its best. Could not will.

Sign at an Apple certified shop:
If it's broke, we can fix it. If we fix it, you'll be broke.
Safety is also a concern, according to Apple, as improper repairs could potentially leave loose parts that could lead to battery damage.
It's the most Dad thing to have parts left over after a repair.🤗😏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.