Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Day by day, those who once scoffed at all this stuff as the conspiracy rantings of the crazies, are having their beaming grins wiped off their faces. But let's continue to beg mummy & daddy government to gain more power over Apple by inventing legislation about app stores.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
No - that's only how the news is framed when you ultimately consider what's going to be requred.

What they're asking for in effect is the same as China did and has got in spades: A specific and far-reaching exemption to the rule.

And as for the latter sentence as I said, that's the only reason Apple *is* publicly pushing back. It just boggles my mind that people still think companies like Apple do this for the public good, Stockholm Syndrome at its most powerful - but again, in this case it is extremely useful because of the rabid brand loyalty Apple has among the vacuous media.
Have you got any evidence that Chinese security policy impacts US iPhones? If so, please share

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
One can only hope that the coming GE will see the present governing party decimated & the new Government will drop these proposed laws.
I think they'll be decimated either way... whether flip flopping Starmer actually has any policies or initiatives to share remains to be seen- I can only hope he doesn't throw away this win!

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
It does make you wonder how long until the British government pass legislation so stupid that the likes of Apple have no option but to pull out of the British market...
If the likes of Apple is willing to bend over and grab their ankles for the Chinese, they would be hypocrites for whining about the Europeans.

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and siddavis

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Oh my, Grant Shapps, Priti Patel, Suella Bravermann and now, James not-so-Cleverly really love voters who think like this.
"Please ma'am, may we have less freedom? Priti please?"

Good grief.

To haul out the IRA (been keeping up with the news lately?) is just asinine.

Don't believe everything Rupert and his editors tell you.
Be sarcastic all you want but threats of all kinds upon UK citizens are real and the UK government is obligated to act. If electronic device manufactures keep beefing up security of their devices which allow the nefarious and undesirables to do what they do with impunity then it stands to reason that security authorities will ask their government to step in an act.

You and others may disagree with what the UK government is doing but I have now doubt if you was to go out onto the UK streets and ask members of the general public what they think, you would not like their answers.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
If the likes of Apple is willing to bend over and grab their ankles for the Chinese, they would be hypocrites for whining about the Europeans.
Read the original post more carefully- the problem is the UK want too make changes that will effect global change, not just confined to the UK market.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
This Tory government is out of touch and out of control.

If you think this is bad legislation, just read the UK news.

The sooner they're out the better.

I think you're trying out a joke there.
Sorry if I fail to understand it.

Labour under Starmer is going to be just as bad if not worse, he's transformed Labour into a neocon beast that mirrors Tory policy. He's going to double down on throwing money away in Israel and Ukraine. What the hell is wrong with these people. The UK is screwed either way unless by some miracle a brand new party pops up to rip out the corrupt nazism of UK politics. I am very afraid of what might happen to my family and friends in the UK, the future is bleak. Policies like this really demonstrate how afraid they are of coming public unrest and revolt.

God help the British people.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Have you got any evidence that Chinese security policy impacts US iPhones? If so, please share

Not the phones, but users as you have to assume nay communications with Chinese phones are compromised.

Non-UK citizens and residents will get swept up as well; despite other countries data privacy laws. The problem is once you have information you want access to more and more. It's not always nefarious, as many well meaning people will do that because they truly want to protect the public, and thus justify their actions.

Of course, the first time a politician gets their naughty texts and private matters made public the outcry to fix the law by them will be immense.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Labour under Starmer is going to be just as bad if not worse, he's transformed Labour into a neocon beast that mirrors Tory policy. He's going to double down on throwing money away in Israel and Ukraine. What the hell is wrong with these people. The UK is screwed either way unless by some miracle a brand new party pops up to rip out the corrupt nazism of UK politics. I am very afraid of what might happen to my family and friends in the UK, the future is bleak. Policies like this really demonstrate how afraid they are of coming public unrest and revolt.

Yep. They all take orders from people whose names we'll never know. Modern western democracy is an illusion. A theatre show designed to deceive the proletariat into believing they can vote their way out of dystopia. The plan is the plan regardless of who attempts to sell it.

Reactions: zakarhino

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
You and others may disagree with what the UK government is doing but I have now doubt if you was to go out onto the UK streets and ask members of the general public what they think, you would not like their answers.

I suspect it is how you asked the question. If you asked "Would you like the current UK government to be able to snoop around all your, your family and kid's photos, calls and texts as often as the like?;" I suspect the answer might not be "Sure, 'ave at it."

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

Can you explain how these two are equivalent:

1. Chinese data privacy and security policies that the majority of people in China support via a democratic process that only applies to Chinese citizens.

2. A UK policy trying to sneak its way into legislation through an undemocratic process that almost nobody supports and has major ramifications to people that are not citizens of the UK.

Reactions: ric22

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022

"Nazism"??

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Read the original post more carefully- the problem is the UK want too make changes that will effect global change, not just confined to the UK market.
No, it is Apple twisting the words of the UK government. Read this part of the article and tell me that Apple has not already done this for China's CCP, had iOS changed/modified to suit that of the CCP with no notice, no review and no appeals process. Apple is being very hypocritical here towards the UK government.
Apple opposes the requirement to inform the Home Office of any changes to product security features before they are released, the requirement for non-U.K.-based companies to comply with changes that would affect their product globally, and having to take action immediately if requested to disable or block a feature without review or an appeals process.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Can you explain how these two are equivalent:

1. Chinese data privacy and security policies that the majority of people in China support via a democratic process that only applies to Chinese citizens.

You can apply many descriptoins to how China's plitical system woks but "democratic process" is not one I'd use.

2. A UK policy trying to sneak its way into legislation through an undemocratic process

At least in the UK politicans can be voted out and thus have to respond, at some point, to public demands.

that almost nobody supports and has major ramifications to people that are not citizens of the UK.

That's one of the challenges - laws in one country around digital communication will impact those not subject to that country's laws.

There are all kinds of problems with such laws. Could a company that produces a secure phone but does not sell it in the UK be forced to provide access if a UK citizen buys one and uses it in the UK? Is a company liable for violating privacy laws when an EU citizen gets swept up and data collected in contravention of EU law?

Reactions: gusmula

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
. Could a company that produces a secure phone but does not sell it in the UK be forced to provide access if a UK citizen buys one and uses it in the UK?
Of course not. But British citizens could *theoretically* be banned from bringing in electronics purchased overseas.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
When terrorists, child grooming gangs, people smugglers, people traffickers and drug suppliers/dealers are able to use electronic devices with impunity due to electronic device manufacturers designing strong hardware and software encryption and security into their devices then governments will act to stop that impunity.

For generations the UK has suffered numerous terrorists acts by the IRA and still do to this day as well as terrorists acts by other groups and thus the UK government will do what is necessary to protect it's citizens. Apple and other manufacturers think they are doing everyone a favor by beefing up security in their devices but when that security is used to help cause death and destruction, governments and security services/authorities will act whether we like it or not.
Ah yes, nothing like building your own cage. You’ll end up neither free nor protected.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
The UK is not a democracy any more. They treat every citizen as a potential criminal. At one point they even had the idea to make encrypted communication a crime. The idea is that if you do not want the government to read your messages, you certainly must be a criminal.

EU countries are divided about many questions, but we are all glad that we got rid of the UK, because the UK tried to impose those ideas on the whole EU.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
For people saying Apple should leave the UK market, they are beholden to their shareholders, no way they will give up market share for a principled action. They give up data to China no problem.

All that data accessibility in the hands of the government is just terrifying. They can’t even build a road under budget, let alone use this for the right reasons.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
This coming Valentines Day, I think we all deserved to be loved as much as the UK government loves surveilling its own citizens. 🥹❤️

Reactions: canadianreader

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
so...Britain that is a democracy voted for representatives to sign laws that violate the privacy of the voter? hmmm... ok...

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Be sarcastic all you want but threats of all kinds upon UK citizens are real and the UK government is obligated to act. If electronic device manufactures keep beefing up security of their devices which allow the nefarious and undesirables to do what they do with impunity then it stands to reason that security authorities will ask their government to step in an act.

I'm in the UK. The government of any state telling a software company they cannot push out an update to their OS is an overreach of state powers. If the government themselves are worried about their own devices becoming compromised then they should issue MPs with dumbphones and only communicate sensitive information via localised VPN in the same way the Ministry of Defence do.

Reactions: Timpetus and iPay

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Of course not.

While I agree, the reality may be different. The EU, for example, expects companies that allow access to their website, even if it's not hosted in the EU and the company has no EU presence, to comply with the GDPR, even if the information is lawfully collectable where they are located. Enforcement of penalties and collecting fines may be difficult, and I suspect many companies with no EU presence simply ignore it.

I suspect the US government expects companies to comply with legal data requests even if compliance violates another county's laws.

But British citizens could *theoretically* be banned from bringing in electronics purchased overseas.

I can see the scenes at customs now.

Reactions: gusmula

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
so...Britain that is a democracy voted for representatives to sign laws that violate the privacy of the voter? hmmm... ok...
The current representitives also tried a quiet form of voter suppression by requiring some form of state-issued ID to do so. The idea being that demographics who do not normally vote right-wing in the UK (the impoverished, students, anyone under the age of 50) would statistically unable.

This plan hilariously backfired in last years' local elections when the older generations who prop up the government found they couldnt vote and the young could.

Reactions: weckart

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Smokescreen for Apple being deeply concerned. Tim visited the UK to discuss how to implement this in the devices without damaging Apples image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.