Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi!

We have an apple watch 8, bough on launch day, phone and watch on latest version. (pair with iPhone SE 2020)

The microphone only works once or twice, before goes silence, this includes memo app, siri, calls, etc .

Sometimes without action the issue resolves by itself. To return on a later day, Apple say to take it to the apple store.

Reboot always solves the issue.

But before do that, is that a known issue? Any solution?

Akroy45

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
now two persons wrote in the German thread that they removed the noise app from Apple Watch and installed it again from App Store. After that microphone seems to work. I have done this also some minutes ago.

Reactions: vodkaPT

JulianJS

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
I have the same problem and many other people apparently too (see macrumors forum, reddit, apple community forum, ...)
I think it's just a software bug, because it usually works again after a reboot. A replacement has also solved nothing for most, as the same problem occurs.

I hope that this issue quickly gets a lot of attention and Apple delivers a bugfix.

Reactions: foggygray

Acevalsl

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2018
removed the noise app, so far is working fine.
Same mistake here in Valencia, Spain. I have also tried to uninstall the noise application and the error continues.

I hope you will release an update soon since next week I will have to return it before the deadline.

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes, all worked fine for a few hours. Siri. Phone calls. But all of a sudden the issue returned. Deleting the noise app didn’t help.

Rasto19

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
it works for me so far after removing the noise app. I want to try to reinstall it but I can't find it in the store

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
it works for me so far after removing the noise app. I want to try to reinstall it but I can't find it in the store
You have to search for "Noise App" on the App Store directly on the Watch. As for the problem, the mic stops working even with the noise app uninstalled, so it seems this is a deeper underlying software problem.

francescoposa

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
I'm having the same issue, and it seems that removing Noise App does not help...
I hope that is a software problem that will be solved soon! :confused:

austinted

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I also have a microphone problem on the Apple Watch Ultra. No response to the microphone and Noise app does not work properly. Deleting the Noise app did not help. Rebooting did not help. Support wants me to take it to the Apple Store.

Reactions: ocdeal

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Does replace the device helps? It does not looks a widespread issue, otherwise would be way more reports.

And mainly, does not affect the US version or MacRummors and others would already talk about 😂.

francescoposa

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
I just noticed that in my case the issue is mainly verifying when Walkie-talkie is used. I’m keeping it turned off, and it’s almost a day not having this issue. Could be that for some reason the microphone continue to be used by some apps (e.g.: walkie-talkie), and there cannot be two apps using at the same time the microphone?

francescoposa

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
I just finished talking with Apple support, and they suggested a forced restart on both devices (iPhone and Apple Watch).
  1. Forced restart on Apple Watch: Keep pressing both the digital crown and the action button until the Apple logo does not appear on the screen
  2. Forced restart on iPhone: first press volume up (and release), immediately after press volume down (and release), and keep pressing the power button until the Apple logo does not appear on the screen.
Now the problem does not happen anymore, but I need to wait for a few days before definitely saying that it's solved!

I hope that it helps!

Reactions: ocdeal and vodkaPT

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I just finished talking with Apple support, and they suggested a forced restart on both devices (iPhone and Apple Watch).
  1. Forced restart on Apple Watch: Keep pressing both the digital crown and the action button until the Apple logo does not appear on the screen
  2. Forced restart on iPhone: first press volume up (and release), immediately after press volume down (and release), and keep pressing the power button until the Apple logo does not appear on the screen.
Now the problem does not happen anymore, but I need to wait for a few days before definitely saying that it's solved!

I hope that it helps!
Already did that some time ago, also the unpair/pair, removing the noise app.

Nothing works. At least on my case the trigger that appears to break the microphone is phone calls, I can "test" successfully 20 times siri, but one or two phone calls using the watch and the micro goes silence until the next repeat.

but keep us updated on how is working for you!

Reactions: ocdeal

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
My Series 8 worked for nearly two days without a mic issue, suddenly today it stopped working again. If i only could see a pattern here... totally sucks, Apple.

Reactions: flimpy and dadoc04

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
How many of you have gotten the watches wet, and forgotten to activate water ejection?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.