Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Just make sure you lay the Apple Watch on its side versus flat with the band attached, you won’t have any issues. I wouldn’t purposely avoid purchasing the Milanese loop just because of scratches, you just need to be aware and conscious of how you set it down.

I'd rather not be paranoid every time I handle the watch in case the Milanese loop touches the case. Think I'll continue to give them a miss.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd rather not be paranoid every time I handle the watch in case the Milanese loop touches the case. Think I'll continue to give them a miss.

I was never fond of the Milanese loop. But I always try to offer advice on how to avoid scratching the watch, as I’m willing to believe many have no idea it’s potential to do that. I’m more partial to my stainless link bands.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I was never fond of the Milanese loop. But I always try to offer advice on how to avoid scratching the watch, as I’m willing to believe many have no idea it’s potential to do that. I’ more partial to my stainless link bands.

Same, love the link bracelets! I find the Milanese looks a tad feminine, but might just be me.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
It‘s just the BLACK milanese, though, because of the coating. The silver milanes does not scratch sapphire glass. What about the gold one, though? That has a coating as well; but probably not to the (hardness) level of the DLC, I guess.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
It‘s just the BLACK milanese, though, because of the coating. The silver milanes does not scratch sapphire glass. What about the gold one, though? That has a coating as well; but probably not to the (hardness) level of the DLC, I guess.

Gold will be fine as it's not DLC coated, so therefore not harder than the sapphire or ceramic.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Same, love the link bracelets! I find the Milanese looks a tad feminine, but might just be me.

i just happened to find a new spaceblack S2 watch with link bracelet for ~300$. seems like a great deal.
will sell the S2 and keep the band ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Correct, it’s the black Milanese loop that poses the problem because of the DLC. The PVD used on the gold does not have the hardness that the DLC does, therefore should not scratch the Apple Watch.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
It’s actually more common to know about this on a tech forum then it is in the real world for those who do own the Milanese loop. But yes, it very well can scratch the Apple Watch and has to many others as well. That’s why am sharing this now, that way for those who read this, *use caution*.
The back of the S4 watch is all ceramic which the Milanese loop can scratch easier. I’ve wore my S3 sbss with Milanese loop for the past year without scratching the back of the watch but, I was aware of this problem before I bought it. I take extreme care when handling it and it is still perfect.
[doublepost=1538055290][/doublepost]
i ordered it with the milanaise.. and now i'm scared of it :eek:
was only planning to wear it for special occasions though. will just have to be very carefull i guess...
Not to worry. Just use it and be careful while handling it when it’s off your wrist. I haven’t scratched my S3 in the year I’ve owned it.
[doublepost=1538055425][/doublepost]
It’s you.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Had no idea that black milanese band was so dangerous! Guess I learned something new.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

that's definitely how i felt today when i put it on for the first time. took me forever to attach and and then put on my arm, trying hard not to let it touch the watch in any way lol

but it's not my everyday band anyway.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
a $900 watch should not scratch from the band. It should not scratch at all quite frankly. Makes one wonder why they should pay more for quality that is not really there.

Reactions: ProtoMaster22

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Sorry to hear that's why I never wanted to get milanese loop even though it looks very good.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
a $900 watch should not scratch from the band. It should not scratch at all quite frankly. Makes one wonder why they should pay more for quality that is not really there.
If i reverse my Mercedes up against a brick wall, the bumber will scratch and dent. If I rub the stainless steel strap against the back of my Rolex it will scratch. Are you saying that Rolex don't make quality watches.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
SBSS S3 with Milanese here. Just checked it, not one scratch in a year...I am reasonably careful, but not totally OCD about it.

Probably Jinxed it now lol. Especially as I am giving my SS Silver S2 to my dad tomorrow :)

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I could easily see that happening with the old back plates Apple used, but with the new ceramic ones, I don't see how it would get scratched that bad, unless you were intentionally doing it.
If you look at some electron photography images of the DLC coat, you'll see that it looks like a mat of tiny little nodules - those would be super-hard diamond-like nodules btw - that probably are fairly abrasive due to their sandpaper-like appearance. So the zirconia ceramic being softer (relatively speaking...) than diamond, the potential for scratching is heightened.

...Possibly. Not a materials engineer. Just speculating. *shrug*

The circle is metal, as that's what's used for the ECG to complete the circuit
The ECG electrodes are a thin (likely vapor deposited) metal-nitride film on top of the sapphire center dome. It's not solid metal, perhaps for weight and/or manufacturing reasons.

Btw, I've been wondering how wear resistant the electrodes are, especially with attaching/detaching the charger puck like a thousand times over the course of a few years. Hopefully Apple has tested their choice of materials carefully and deemed it of sufficient durability...
[doublepost=1538165717][/doublepost]
Makes one wonder why they should pay more for quality that is not really there.
It's not a case of (missing) quality; it's fundamental physics.

Apple could have used a softer coat on the space black watches, but then it would have been less durable, and the stainless metal would eventually wear through and the whole watch would look really cheap and bad.

ProtoMaster22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Arizona
If i reverse my Mercedes up against a brick wall, the bumber will scratch and dent. If I rub the stainless steel strap against the back of my Rolex it will scratch. Are you saying that Rolex don't make quality watches.

Your Mercedes doesn’t come with brick wall. And you’re Rolex doesn’t come with a Milanese loop.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does anyone know if the black link band creates the same issue?

The black Link band does have a diamond like carbon coating as well, but because the band is so rigid, it really would be impossible for the watch to come into contact with it even when the clasp is open. It be really rare for it to scratch it in that situation, compared to where the Milanese loop collapses because its ‘slacked’ when it comes in contact with the Watch.

Reactions: nybear31

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Not really. You have to expect that a watch can scratch when you wear it on a daily basis and how we are flailing our wrist at times. The biggest thing that happened to you (And others with this band), is you inadvertently didn’t know that the Milanese loop would damage the watch if it came in contact with it. My suggestion would be to accept for what it is, at least you don’t have to see the scratches, as they are underneath the watch and not on your display.
Now I’m thinking I made the right decision to buy just the SS with sports band because of this milanese loop issue.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
This just cements my purchase of the space black with Milanese loop. I had no idea what DLC was and was worried it would scratch to hell. Kind of glad my watch and band would do the scratching. Lol

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I am saying that extra money was paid for protection from this type of damage and it failed. I have plenty of Sapphire crystal watches and have never scratched any of them. Seems the SS watches are not really any safer, Apple just wants you to believe they are.

Your examples are not the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.