Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Thank you. That is what I was afraid of. I’ll reach out to Apple support on this.

The pillow app works together with the iPhone, could it be that you have a lot of apps running on the phone, that also looks for information from the Apple Watch ?

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014
The pillow app works together with the iPhone, could it be that you have a lot of apps running on the phone, that also looks for information from the Apple Watch ?

i set the AW on airplane mode when i sleep in order to avoid this issue; once autowake app drained my iphone battery of 60% during one night

Reactions: DaveyVigs

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I do not use any sleep tracking apps and wake up after 8-9 hours with 90-92%.
Thanks for the info. That's useful to know and pretty music in line with the battery usage of people who are using sleep apps. It seems like the sleep tracking apps aren't actually consuming additional battery since they rely on the readings the watch takes on it's own, unless you start an app that takes heart rate readings more often.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
I always close my iPhone apps and put it on the charger at night so that’s not it. It could be because I didn’t have my watch in airplane mode. I’ll try that tonight and see if that helps.

Reactions: ipaddaro

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I always close my iPhone apps and put it on the charger at night so that’s not it. It could be because I didn’t have my watch in airplane mode. I’ll try that tonight and see if that helps.
I personally didn't notice much difference using Airplane Mode for 8 hours over night (92% vs 93%), but everyone's situation is different.
Maybe just restarting the watch if you haven't done it in a while could help...

Reactions: staggerlee41

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
I personally didn't notice much difference using Airplane Mode for 8 hours over night (92% vs 93%), but everyone's situation is different.
Maybe just restarting the watch if you haven't done it in a while could help...
It’s a brand new S4 I got this past Friday. I know the battery is smaller in the S4 and sometimes new devices take time to calibrate the battery too which may be the issue. I rebooted it a few times since then and only had the pillow app installed on the watch.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
It’s a brand new S4 I got this past Friday. I know the battery is smaller in the S4 and sometimes new devices take time to calibrate the battery too which may be the issue. I rebooted it a few times since then and only had the pillow app installed on the watch.
Just curious, did you set it up as new or from a backup?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Today's report: 94% upon wake, 8:33 since last charge. I literally pulled it of the charger right before I went to bed last night.

So I tried pillow to track my sleep which seemed effective as in it worked without me needing to turn it on like I did sanother sleep app and it tracked types of sleep pretty well...

but in 8 hours it went from full 100% charge to 80%.:( I only have the pillow app installed and turned off both raise to speak and display. New watch not sure why I dropped 20% in 8 hours of doing nothing.

For the last few days owning the S4 I wondered why my battery drained so quickly compared to my 3 year old S0 before it. I am thinking of returning it or bringing it to Apple for diagnostics asap.

My only other thought is it is so new it hasn’t had a chance to “break in the battery” or whatever like new devices/cars etc need.

My AW 4 was dropping more than I was ever used to with AW 2 during the first week or so and then it improved. During that first week I was charging before bed as I always do and was waking up with it somewhere in the 80% range. First I had set it up as new, then did a restore. I know Apple Devices need to "settle" for a bit before you start to see the true performance from battery but that seemed a bit excessive to me with watch. I will say that initially I was disappointed with the battery life. Battery life has now improved.

Last edited:

Bosechris

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
How dors it work ?

Is the watch able to detect when you sleep and when you are awake ?

How is it possible ?

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the info. That's useful to know and pretty music in line with the battery usage of people who are using sleep apps. It seems like the sleep tracking apps aren't actually consuming additional battery since they rely on the readings the watch takes on it's own, unless you start an app that takes heart rate readings more often.

Yup. I was surprised by this too.
And FWIW, I use DND and theater mode while asleep. I wear my watch at night only so my wife is not awoken by my ungodly early morning alarm.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
How dors it work ?

Is the watch able to detect when you sleep and when you are awake ?

How is it possible ?

You can learn more about how AutoSleep works here:

http://autosleep.tantsissa.com

I use AutoSleep along with SleepWatch.

https://www.sleepwatchapp.com

Note that it doesn't require Apple Watch to use it but I'd think the data would be less accurate. The big purpose of these sleep tracking apps, at least from what I have gleaned from them, is to get into a better sleep rhythm so you're getting sleep more consistently, which is beneficial to your health. These are not meant to replace sleep studies which are much more complex.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yup. I was surprised by this too.
And FWIW, I use DND and theater mode while asleep. I wear my watch at night only so my wife is not awoken by my ungodly early morning alarm.
So with DND you can still get alarms (haptic I assume)?
[doublepost=1540408730][/doublepost]
You can learn more about how AutoSleep works here:

http://autosleep.tantsissa.com

I use AutoSleep along with SleepWatch.

https://www.sleepwatchapp.com

Note that it doesn't require Apple Watch to use it but I'd think the data would be less accurate. The big purpose of these sleep tracking apps, at least from what I have gleaned from them, is to get into a better sleep rhythm so you're getting sleep more consistently, which is beneficial to your health. These are not meant to replace sleep studies which are much more complex.
I'm currently using SleepWatch after having used Pillow before. How would you compare SleepWatch to AutoSleep?

I like seeing how long it took me to fall asleep, my heart rate plotted through the night, and the amount of deep sleep. I'm looking to see if I can see a trend based on diet, exercise, and or drinking during the day that affects my sleep patterns.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipaddaro

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2014
So with DND you can still get alarms (haptic I assume)?
[doublepost=1540408730][/doublepost]
I currently using SleepWatch after having used Pillow before. How would you compare SleepWatch to AutoSleep?

I like seeing how long it took me to fall asleep, my heart rate plotted through the night, and the amount of deep sleep. I'm looking to see if I can see a trend based on diet, exercise, and or drinking during the day that affects my sleep patterns.

also curious about comparison...

autosleep seems quite accurate to me and has a good integration with heartwatch and health app. does not require to manually start sleep monitoring (although i generally do it)

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I think both are very comparable. I originally downloaded AutoSleep because I heard it was quite good and accurate. Then I saw others liked SleepWatch so I thought I'd give both a try. I think AutoSleep is slightly more accurate in terms asleep, waking up to use the bathroom, drink or whatever and I also like the integration with HeartWatch.

What I like about SleepWatch is the data you get with the Dip, BPM, Sleep Rhythm all in one dashboard. I think most of this is there with AutoSleep but it's more cumbersome--at least for me--to find it.

So, because there are aspects of them both that I like, I still use both despite the fact that my initial intent was to pick one of them lol.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I think both are very comparable. I originally downloaded AutoSleep because I heard it was quite good and accurate. Then I saw others liked SleepWatch so I thought I'd give both a try. I think AutoSleep is slightly more accurate in terms asleep, waking up to use the bathroom, drink or whatever and I also like the integration with HeartWatch.

What I like about SleepWatch is the data you get with the Dip, BPM, Sleep Rhythm all in one dashboard. I think most of this is there with AutoSleep but it's more cumbersome--at least for me--to find it.

So, because there are aspects of them both that I like, I still both despite the fact that my initial intent was to pick one of them lol.
I'm finally starting to get the hang of the SleepWatch interface on the iPhone app.
I also like HeartWatch, especially because the watch complication shows a heart rate unlike the stock Apple complication, but I'm still trying to decode the iOS interface on the iPhone app.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm finally starting to get the hang of the SleepWatch interface on the iPhone app.
I also like HeartWatch, especially because the watch complication shows a heart rate unlike the stock Apple complication, but I'm still trying to decode the iOS interface on the iPhone app.

That's the part of AutoSleep that I'm not all wild about. The iOS interface, at least to me, seems far too cumbersome. I really like the fact that with SleepWatch, everything is right there, on one screen to access all of the data it's collecting. I guess I could look at the AutoSleep website to learn how to use the darn thing lol

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Dors it work for people for work in the night and sleep in the day ?

Absolutely. I think with AutoSleep it asked you to identify when your normal sleep/wake times. I can't recall if that was the case with SleepWatch but even if you sleep outside of that defined time the apps will detect it. And of course you can always manually adjust if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.