Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Maybe get all stock they can to retailers. They are not banned if starts again.
If it is in an Apple warehouse in the US already, I’m not sure that the import ban would block them from shipping it to retailers?

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
The ITC hears patent disputes under section 337, which was designed to protect US industry from outside violations.

The only reason they are involved is because Apple manufactures the watches outside the US and ships them here. If they were produced in the US, the ITC wouldn't be involved.

A reason to move manufacturing back to state side.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am so confused about all these rules, can't believe our legislators and lawyers in the United States are doing nothing but benefit themselves and know how to play around the rules they created and leave all the back doors for themselves.

Effectively how it works is if a company has enough money, they can intentionally or unintentionally flout patents and if the infringed company chooses to take the infringing company to court, the infringing company can usually outlast them and force a settlement on terms favorable to them.

One of the reasons Apple has so many patents is not to protect them from patent infringement suits from (relatively) small companies like Massimo, but to protect them from patent infringement suits from peer-level companies like Qualcomm, Intel, Samsung, Broadcom, et. al. This level of companies use their patent portfolios like countries use strategic weapons - as a way to enforce peace through mutually assured (legal) destruction.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I will sell my AAPL stocks next year.

Their illegal activities have become a disgrace. They should pay for patents like everybody else.

They have become a left-wing company.

Yawn. They have been a solidly left-wing company since Day 1.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
If it is in an Apple warehouse in the US already, I’m not sure that the import ban would block them from shipping it to retailers?
I'm sure they've already unloaded all their NA stock to other retailers-- Amazon, Best Buy, etc. That's probably why they stopped selling on 12/21

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
It'll be back on sale on the website by the end of the week I am sure even if there could be a slight delay in delivery times.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Effectively how it works is if a company has enough money, they can intentionally or unintentionally flout patents and if the infringed company chooses to take the infringing company to court, the infringing company can usually outlast them and force a settlement on terms favorable to them.

One of the reasons Apple has so many patents is not to protect them from patent infringement suits from (relatively) small companies like Massimo, but to protect them from patent infringement suits from peer-level companies like Qualcomm, Intel, Samsung, Broadcom, et. al. This level of companies use their patent portfolios like countries use strategic weapons - as a way to enforce peace through mutually assured (legal) destruction.

I think that shows the level of abuse of our patent system as often times the patents are invalid and a joke. Just used as a war chest to defend lawsuits from with MAD.

Reactions: Timpetus

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm sure they've already unloaded all their NA stock to other retailers-- Amazon, Best Buy, etc. That's probably why they stopped selling on 12/21
Could be, and maybe the reason we’ve seen so many “lowest ever” offers from the retailers (keep in mind that the ITC ruling came eo October so Apple had time …)

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think that shows the level of abuse of our patent system as often times the patents are invalid and a joke. Just used as a war chest to defend lawsuits from with MAD.
Only one correction: this is use, not abuse. The system is working as intended, as all IP law came from grants of privilege to friends of the state. The world would be so much better off without IP law, as it does nothing to help the people and is horribly unjust. Why should anyone be given the right to tell someone else what they can and cannot do with their own property?

Reactions: jhfenton

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Thx! Just wanted to know what this dispute is al about and it sounds like the only remaining infringement is this:

"US Patent No. 10,945,648 was found to be infringed upon by an Administrative Law Judge in the ITC case. More specifically, Apple infringed on claim 24 and claim 30 of the patent, which covered the aspects “wherein the protrusion comprises opaque material configured to substantially prevent light piping” and “wherein the protrusion further comprises one or more chamfered edges,” respectively."

Makes a bit more sense now as the core technology technology for detecting blood oxygen via red/green lightwaves is about 80 years old. Can't imagine that Masimo has a full patent on every aspect of such sensor.
Now I also understand why Apple is not interested in going into license discussions. There really is not a lot to license here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.