Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has closed in on a deal with OpenAI that should see ChatGPT being used to power new features in its next iPhone operating system, according to Bloomberg.

iOS-18-WWDC-24-Feature-2.jpg

In a report over the weekend, Bloomberg claimed that the two companies have been "finalizing terms for a pact to use ChatGPT features in Apple's iOS 18." How the popular chatbot would integrate with Apple's software is not yet known.

The agreement would see ChatGPT become another tool in a range of AI features that Apple is expected to bring to iPhones. Apple is also said to be in ongoing talks with Google to license its Gemini chatbot, but those discussions have not reportedly led to an agreement. Apple is known to have been in talks with OpenAI since February.

Apple at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference next month is expected to announce several AI features coming to iOS 18, which is said to be one of the biggest upgrades to the iPhone operating system in years. According to Haitong analyst Jeff Pu, Apple plans to run some of the features on data servers powered by its own in-house chips.

Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed in February that Apple plans to "break new ground" in AI. Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman has previously reported that Apple is also working on its own chatbot tool that some engineers have dubbed "Apple GPT" to rival OpenAI's ChatGPT.

Article Link: Apple Wrapping Up OpenAI Deal to Bring ChatGPT Features to iOS 18

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I see we're into the spiral of death where we're focusing more on hype words than actually making the OS better to use, where iOS and especially iPadOS are in a very, very bad place full of technical and UI debt.
Come on, it’s not that bad. I’m actually excited for once. The 5-6 years have been very incremental in terms of groundbreaking features.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I think people are underestimating LLMs at the OS level.

Imagine LLMs being able to control apps for you. You can tell an LLM to automatically setup Shortcuts for you since no one knows how do create them. You can tell an LLM install the best Ad Blocker for Safari for you and configure it to work properly. Even mundane things like asking an LLM to disable notifications for an annoying app should work well too.

Think of it like a highly capable digital assistant on your phone that can control your phone on your behalf. Don't think of it as a chat app.

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
In a recent interview Sam Altman was asked about the iPhone and he said how much he loved it with a big fat smile. It’s going to make OpenAi’s ChatGPT mega mainstream. Kids, Grandmas and everyone in between is going to be blown away by it if they haven’t used it before. They need to brace themselves.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m using GPT-4 a lot, and in my humble opinion, it is the best AI LLM out there. And the best AI company Apple could have arrived a deal with. I don’t want Google powering Siri or other iOS services.

Now the question is, if this iOS 18 integrated GPT will allow me to stop paying for GPT-Plus, or if the services provided for free on iOS won’t cut it compared to ChatGPT.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I think people are underestimating LLMs at the OS level.

Imagine LLMs being able to control apps for you. You can tell an LLM to automatically setup Shortcuts for you since no one knows how do create them. You can tell an LLM install the best Ad Blocker for Safari for you and configure it to work properly. Even mundane things like asking an LLM to disable notifications for an annoying app should work well too.

Think of it like a highly capable digital assistant on your phone that can control your phone on your behalf. Don't think of it as a chat app.
If I need an “AI” to do those things for me, then that’s a symptom of an underlying problem that needs to be fixed - not an indicator that “AI” is needed.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I seriously doubt this rumor - not the ChatGPT part, but the idea that "they are finalizing any deals for iOS 18 now". That's not how this works. I think the features for iOS 18 have been been decided and locked for quite a while now. Either they already agreed on this much earlier, or they are coming to an agreement for iOS 19 or later.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
After trying ChatGPT's "voice mode," I think this means that Siri might actually become an amazing and almost-human conversationalist. 🤩

...at least until the next inevitable ChatGPT outage, when it'll either not work or just spout incomprehensible gibberish. :p

Jason J. Schneider

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2022
Athina, Attica
I seriously doubt this rumor - not the ChatGPT part, but the idea that "they are finalizing any deals for iOS 18 now". That's not how this works. I think the features for iOS 18 have been been decided and locked for quite a while now. Either they already agreed on this much earlier, or they are coming to an agreement for iOS 19 or later.
👆👆 This! 👆👆

Reactions: I_Sheep

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Pleeeeease - if they can make a custom
Chatgpt powered version of siri that can integrate with the whole system it would be sooo dope

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
If I need an “AI” to do those things for me, then that’s a symptom of an underlying problem that needs to be fixed - not an indicator that “AI” is needed.
One day, I'm just going to ask Siri to reply to you instead of me typing this sentence. I'm also going to ask Siri to explain to you why LLMs at the OS level are going to take over.

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Mark Gurman: This is the Apple AI strategy:

A) On-device LLM (in house);

B) Cloud-powered LLM (in house);

C) Chatbot (OpenAI for sure, Google maybe);

Soon they will utilize every Apple device for AI training/computing. It would be the world’s largest computer, and no one can come close to them.

kraistt

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
I mean the features yeah, but they could've been making PoCs with different providers for a fixed set of features and now they conclude that OpenAI was the best provider so they are closing in a deal?

GPT is overrated. I have found you can get it to give you the answer you want. And when it comes to mathematics; astronomical distances (but not just those) it can often be very wrong.
I mean, currently, OpenAI GPT is the best performer out there, Anthropic have also good models but don't know how battle-tested they are. OpenAI had ChatGPT for a long time now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.