Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuff_said

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
I wonder if Apple will run its own processor farm to accommodate an Apple fork of ChatGPT. This would keep the Android/Windows riff-raff out and keep them from contaminating the Apple LLM's training.
Perhaps; I think any on device tasks would have to meet Apples Ts and Cs. However, from what OpenAI announced today I think the first few iterations won’t be baked into Siri or any of the OS’. It might just be a “shortcut” until the finalize everything. iOS 19 or 20 might be where we see more AI baked into the OS’.

Reactions: VulchR

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to know about this. Looking forward to hearing in detail about it at WWDC

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I believe it will be very deeply integrated into the operating system. Instead of just offering to complete a word how about the whole sentence? How about the rest of the paragraph? How about when you select the paragraph the menu can offer to rewrite it fix the grammar that sort of thing. In Xcode, it could deeply analyze an issue suggesting different ways to approach a problem. Stuff like that all throughout the entire system is what I expect to see.
that's what I HOPE to see, but dont expect this year. There just wasn't enough time I think

fl010

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
They will loose its only remaining USP, privacy!

All data I type about myself will always be sent to the ChatGPT API?? There is no way they can then uphold their privacy values with that..
Maybe in some years, they will be on par with other LLMs. (similar with apple maps)

Reactions: maxoakland

bobjonesco

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Perth
Well, we tried.

IMG_0130.png

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I seriously doubt this rumor - not the ChatGPT part, but the idea that "they are finalizing any deals for iOS 18 now". That's not how this works. I think the features for iOS 18 have been been decided and locked for quite a while now. Either they already agreed on this much earlier, or they are coming to an agreement for iOS 19 or later.
I see where you are coming from. However, I think there's might be one out two features they have been discussing for a while and finally agreeing upon. Easy to implement.

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Pretty clear in reading this thread that most of you haven’t dealt with LLMs commercially.

Redwan7

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2023
Earth (Trust me)
I’m using GPT-4 a lot, and in my humble opinion, it is the best AI LLM out there. And the best AI company Apple could have arrived a deal with. I don’t want Google powering Siri or other iOS services.

Now the question is, if this iOS 18 integrated GPT will allow me to stop paying for GPT-Plus, or if the services provided for free on iOS won’t cut it compared to ChatGPT.
I highly doubt it will be anything other than subscription just with a free version that is less powerful. Maybe it will be GPT-4. But limited to the use case (ex: summerizing articles). Not your usual paragraph writing

TheWasmer

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
In terms of privacy and security I wouldn’t worry too much.
If Apple and OpenAI made a deal, Apple will certainly be able to run their own version of chatGPT in their own data centers.
It would be very similar to what is possible with “Azure OpenAI services”, which is a dedicated, isolated, private chatGPT for an enterprise company that will not train the public chatGPT model run by openAI. And this would be aligning nicely with the other rumors/reports of Apple using their own Silicon based architecture for AI services in their data centers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.