Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
I think people are underestimating LLMs at the OS level.

Imagine LLMs being able to control apps for you. You can tell an LLM to automatically setup Shortcuts for you since no one knows how do create them. You can tell an LLM install the best Ad Blocker for Safari for you and configure it to work properly. Even mundane things like asking an LLM to disable notifications for an annoying app should work well too.

Those tasks don’t require LLM.

Reactions: maxoakland

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
My guess is free and paid. Free for basic tasks ChatGPT lets you do today in 3.5 but paid for anything other requests. This should help off set costs Apple will accrue building data centres and to assist with future development of their own AI infrastructure. I’ve referenced something I call Siri+ previously and I believe the paid version will be part of Apple’s services. I can forsee in future versions of their OS offerings it helping with putting together videos and edits, auto correcting photos and images based on what ask it to look like. These might be part of future iterations of their software packages but under a monthly subscription.
I wonder if Apple will run its own processor farm to accommodate an Apple fork of ChatGPT. This would keep the Android/Windows riff-raff out and keep them from contaminating the Apple LLM's training.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
With a scottish accent Siri is useless for everything :D

I don't have issues with speech recognition on ChatGPT/Copilot so this is good news if Apple is going to use OpenAI. We'll see.
Hahah good point. Siri even struggles with understanding children. I wonder if Apple will lay off the entire Siri team. The product need a clear slate start.

RIP Alexa and Home Assistant teams.💐

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I see we're into the spiral of death where we're focusing more on hype words than actually making the OS better to use, where iOS and especially iPadOS are in a very, very bad place full of technical and UI debt.

SwiftUi is light years ahead of the competition! And at WWDC we will see more declarative 3D for the Apple Vision Pro that uses Pixar's Universal Scene Description! And AI is not hype, it is only hype for people who do not understand it!

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
You can tell an LLM to automatically setup Shortcuts for you since no one knows how do create them
No doubt. Apple had a script editor for the Mac since near the beginning, back in the ancient days.

Most users (including me) never used it.

Also then with OSX... never used it.

And I still see lots of Windows-to-Mac migrators whining that the Mac can't do this or that... when for many of the complaints one can find what one needs in the shortcuts or can make a shortcut to do what one wants.

The problem has always been such script/shortcut editors are essentially programming and most people are averse to that kind of thing.

Reactions: gusmula

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Since Apple is under scrutiny for Google as the default search engine
It's Google who are under scrutiny in regards to the search engine, not Apple.

And, just because Apple might be interested in some things OpenAI is doing does not mean that Apple AI = ChatGPT.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Ok, ChatGPT is better than Siri.
But whats new? Everybody can integrate ChatGPT with ShortCuts App and make a "Hey Siri Pro" with ChatGPT now.
This are 3 lines of code.
Where is the magic?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Good news. Siri is useless for anything other than setting alarms, timers and controlling music playback.

:cool:
Exactly! Good for Apple that they finally see they are so far behind in AI that they need to partner with someone else to stay relevant.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Given the current situation in the US and Europe, for have an iPhone service tied to ChatGTP. Since Apple is under scrutiny for Google as the default search engine (even though you can change it), why wouldn't the governments get upset that Apple doesn't let you choose which AI assistant you want?

I think the Apple/Google antitrust situation has more to do with the significance of the payment (around $20 billion per year) and that it has been helping Google increase or maintain its dominance in search. There's no word on what sort of payments an Apple/OpenAI relationship would involve and it's not as easy to quantify the "AI market" as it can cover so many areas. It's also possible that upcoming iPhones/iOSs may have a mix of some OpenAI functionality, some Google Gemini functionality, some Apple in-house AI functionality, etc.

Reactions: jayducharme

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Am I a luddite for dreading the forced intrusion of AI into my life?

I mean, sure, it's great for researchers looking for a cancer cure or for managing complex freight systems and the like. But on an individual level? Not seeing anything of use for me.

If Word's integrated AI could do repetitive things for me like change the number formats in the pages and pages of tables of figures in annual reports I translate from French into English (e.g. 76,5 M $ >> $76.5 million), that'd be great. But so far, it can't.

I absolutely do not want some machine penning replies to emails I receive ("Let's remove as much human contact from your life as possible, OK?") or any other of this regenerative BS. And sure the ability to summarize articles would be great if I were too lazy to read the originals, but I'm not. Besides (and, yes, AI will get better at it), you'd be a fool to blindly trust AI-produced summaries, articles and search results, which for all intents and purposes makes them useless.

So far, the only personal use I see for AI is as a toy. I stopped playing with toys decades ago.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Right, opt-in then I’ll get a notification badge on settings complaining that I need to finish setting it up like it does for Siri which I also refuse to use.
You can clear that from your settings by selecting the “to do” notification and choosing set up later or don’t use, depending on the feature.

bayportbob

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
somewhere under the rainbow.
After trying ChatGPT's "voice mode," I think this means that Siri might actually become an amazing and almost-human conversationalist. 🤩

...at least until the next inevitable ChatGPT outage, when it'll either not work or just spout incomprehensible gibberish. :p
I want the British Female accent to be able to converse intelligently with me... would look forward to the long road trips then...

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
This makes sense, remember WolfRamAlpha and Steve Jobs? Maybe if Steve didn't pass away, he would have made Apple take AI more seriously earlier. I could see how he would forecast AI as important.

cdsapplefan

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2023
What AI features do the Samsung phones have that Apple is salivating desperate to get on the iPhone 📱

apple tree's

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
will apple be able partner with OpenAI in the china market? or will they not not include AI the china market?

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
You can clear that from your settings by selecting the “to do” notification and choosing set up later or don’t use, depending on the feature.
Yeah, great. I’m aware. I don’t want a nag in settings at all for garbage I won’t use. So annoying when they can’t even have core apps that function properly, like how the exposure lock on the camera does not function properly since at least 3-4 versions of iOS ago.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
will apple be able partner with OpenAI in the china market? or will they not not include AI the china market?
China will roll out their own AI that does not espouse the social democratic “values” of its developers like OpenAI does. Needless to say, that will never be integrated into iPhone.

That said, China is eventually going to block the sales of iPhone entirely after its rather obvious campaign to significantly lessen dependance on the device nationwide.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So they have 3 weeks to include the GPT engine in every app possible, make a presentation, prepare demo content, film the presentation, edit it, and then it's WWDC ?

There's something I don't understand.

Did they program 2-3 alternatives this since the last few months and then they'll remove whatever code is not related to OpenAI ? Seems like a lot of work...

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I'm a bit worried about the privacy

Apple could have solved this by waiting longer and coming up with thier own in house AI

Now everything we do with a GPT they have a deal with is going to be a data and privacy siv
With all these neural engines in Apple Silicon, I hope they will support offline requests whenever possible.
Like, make it offline by default, unless you really need online content to reply to the answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.