Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
On the pros it is definitely worth it. These screens are very expensive to replace. Not to mention I am sure that without applecare if you break the screen on the new 12.9” it will be very difficult to get fixed because it is a brand new screen technology. Apple Care all the way for me.

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
It's a gamble. Apple is gambling that you're either not going to use it or use it for something that costs them less than the amount of money they are getting from you for coverage to replace it. For you it's insurance in case something happens - Apple has done all of the calculations and the house always wins in the end.

All that being said, I still get it for iPads, iPhones and Macs. I've actually never once had to use it which is good because that's a testament to how reliable their products are (and how careful I am I suppose), but at the same time I've spend many hundreds of dollars for nothing but peace of mind in the end, though that peace of mind is nice to have.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I always have it on my iPhones; I usually did not have it on an iPad, but after sitting on my 2018 Pro 12.9 and completely shattering the glass and bending the frame, which basically rendered it useless, it's AppleCare for me now.

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
If I was in America, for sure I'd get AppleCare.

But as I am in Europe, I get two year warranty just like AppleCare covers. Screen breakage, theft, etc. is covered through my regular insurance, which of course includes all my devices, not just one.

So yeah, the answer to this question relies a lot of where you are in the world, what consumer laws are in place, and what the rest of your financial situation is, of course.

David53

macrumors regular
May 3, 2021
Canada
I‘ve never had AppleCare with any of my devices, and initially didn’t order it when I ordered my Pro 12.9 512 WiFi on April 30, current estimated delivery from UPS May 27.

However, after reading so much about the new screen technology, and the cost of repair should something go wrong, I have changed my mind, and will likely sign up for it as soon as I get and set up my device. I’m in Canada, btw.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Monthly you can continue coverage past 2 years if you wish, upfront it stops at that point I believe.

I am in the UK where monthly isn’t an option, but think I’d only claim for the pencil or MK if I was near the end of the 2 years with an incident remaining. Use both in one go early on and the odds you’ll later need to claim for the more expensive iPad are higher.

You can opt for monthly coverage once the two years of AppleCare+ is up (within 30 or 60 days I believe) but you risk not having the iPad pass the self check when you purchase it, and simply may forget to sign up for it.

Since I always keep my devices past 2 years, I opted for monthly AppleCare+ from the start. It has paid for itself with my Pro 10.5” model, with one accident and two “white blemish” issues.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
There are no clear answers on if it makes sense or doesn't make sense or you except in very specific cases (like working in an environment that increases risk of device damage).

For instance, you'll see people post that Apple banks on you never using it to make money since the cost of a single repair will usually exceed your Apple Care costs. Except this is a flawed comparison since Apple sets the price for its parts and repair labor. They won't bill themselves the same cost to repair the device as they'd bill themselves in raw costs. Meaning, Apple Care could still stay profitable for Apple with a repair or two.

You end up needing to make the decision based purely on your ability to self fund repairs as well as the speed at which you need those repairs done. Purely an entertainment device? You may skip Apple Care and if it breaks you either replace it with a newer model or a refurb and keep rolling on. If it is a work device and you'd need a new one ASAP then being able to just give it to Apple and get repaired or swapped quickly can be a valuable feature as well. Or if you can't drop a few hundred dollars in an instant to buy a new device or etc.

I tend to pick up Apple Care to soften my anxiety a bit. Although I can afford to buy another device next year if it breaks I would feel a bit angry that I'm dropping so much money when Apple Care could have saved me. To each their own.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There are no clear answers on if it makes sense or doesn't make sense or you except in very specific cases (like working in an environment that increases risk of device damage).

For instance, you'll see people post that Apple banks on you never using it to make money since the cost of a single repair will usually exceed your Apple Care costs. Except this is a flawed comparison since Apple sets the price for its parts and repair labor. They won't bill themselves the same cost to repair the device as they'd bill themselves in raw costs. Meaning, Apple Care could still stay profitable for Apple with a repair or two.

You end up needing to make the decision based purely on your ability to self fund repairs as well as the speed at which you need those repairs done. Purely an entertainment device? You may skip Apple Care and if it breaks you either replace it with a newer model or a refurb and keep rolling on. If it is a work device and you'd need a new one ASAP then being able to just give it to Apple and get repaired or swapped quickly can be a valuable feature as well. Or if you can't drop a few hundred dollars in an instant to buy a new device or etc.

I tend to pick up Apple Care to soften my anxiety a bit. Although I can afford to buy another device next year if it breaks I would feel a bit angry that I'm dropping so much money when Apple Care could have saved me. To each their own.

Yep.

And also, spending $600-700 with tax to get my 2017 iPad Pro repaired or buying the 2020 iPad Pro 1TB LTE at full $1649 MSRP just a month or two before the 2021 iPad Pro's release would've seriously pissed me off.

Yes, I can afford it but $6-8 for monthly AC+ and $50 deductible is easier to accept psychologically.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Apple wouldn't sell AppleCare if it wasn't profitable. Meaning they expect more people to pay more in premiums than Apple will pay out in claims. But then; that's how all insurance works.

I've always used AppleCare on portable devices. Only ever used it once (to replace the display on a MacBook Pro I dropped). So, even with my $600 MacBook Pro repair being nearly free, I am 'in the hole' on AppleCare, having spent more than I've ever used. And I STILL think it's a good value. It's nice peace of mind for a relatively affordable price that I'm not gonna have to shell out $700+ for a new display on my iPad Pro if I drop it; which makes me feel more confident using it and taking it with me places.

Reactions: rui no onna

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I think you go one of two routes...
a) applecare and naked
b) good screen protector and sturdy case

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Personally I don‘t buy insurance on gadgets, they goes down in value over time and becomes cheaper to replace. I don‘t see how one extra year will help with manufacturing defects.
And some people are educated to pay for the manufacturer’s fault upfront so that they will not charged later. Now this is Stockholm syndrome.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
You can opt for monthly coverage once the two years of AppleCare+ is up (within 30 or 60 days I believe) but you risk not having the iPad pass the self check when you purchase it, and simply may forget to sign up for it.

Since I always keep my devices past 2 years, I opted for monthly AppleCare+ from the start. It has paid for itself with my Pro 10.5” model, with one accident and two “white blemish” issues.

Monthly is indeed now an option in the UK, I believe it was 28 days from expiry. I renewed a relative’s on a Saturday and it said 1 day left, the iPad had been purchased on a Sunday.

I half expected mine to fail on battery (it passed) but I couldn’t have done anything differently - it was £69 for 2 years or no AC+ at the time I bought the iPad. But that’s something to bear in mind if monthly is offered from the outset on any future iPad purchase.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Really curious about this. I wasn't planning to get AppleCare+, but my device arrived defective, and I was told if I get it exchanged, I won't be able to add AppleCare+ (wtf?), so they advised me to get it before the exchange.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Really curious about this. I wasn't planning to get AppleCare+, but my device arrived defective, and I was told if I get it exchanged, I won't be able to add AppleCare+ (wtf?), so they advised me to get it before the exchange.

That is wrong. I had a defective one. It’s now been replaced and AC+ been taken out on the replacement

telo123

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2021
Personally I don‘t buy insurance on gadgets, they goes down in value over time and becomes cheaper to replace. I don‘t see how one extra year will help with manufacturing defects.
It’s not just manufacturer defects that AppleCare covers though. Any accidents that you caused, no matter the damage, will be replaced for only $49. If I break my iPP 11” screen without AppleCare, it’ll be $659 (CAD) + tax which is more than half my device … Free battery replacement if at 80% capacity too.

I think it’s worth it. I use it for my Mac as well. To each their own, though.

I will be getting the monthly subscription once the AC expires because I will be keeping it for more than 2 years.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
That is wrong. I had a defective one. It’s now been replaced and AC+ been taken out on the replacement
Hmm I also confirmed it with Apple Support. If you get the device replaced in the first 14 days, you can no longer add AC+ to the replacement. You have to add it to the original device first.

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm I also confirmed it with Apple Support. If you get the device replaced in the first 14 days, you can no longer add AC+ to the replacement. You have to add it to the original device first.
That is just bonkers and makes no sense at all. What if your device was DOA? Oh, bad luck no AppleCare for you? 🤔

The proof is in whether you can actually buy AppleCare or not be it from the web store or from the device itself.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Well mine was replaced within a week and I took AC+ out without any issues on the replacement

Bought on the replacement device as well

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
That is just bonkers and makes no sense at all. What if your device was DOA? Oh, bad luck no AppleCare for you? 🤔

The proof is in whether you can actually buy AppleCare or not be it from the web store or from the device itself.
Well, if it's DOA you can still return it and buy a new one. You just can't "exchange" without losing your ability to purchase AppleCare+ for some reason.

I completely agree that the policy makes no sense and I wondered if the in-store employee was wrong. That's why I asked online Customer Support if it was true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.