Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
You forgot that the EU is a beacon of hope for mankind. Right at this moment people all over the world are reading EU laws with the intend to introduce similar regulations in their countries. Not even Americans are immune against the promise of freedom to install apps from wherever they want on their iPhones. The dispute with Fortnite developer Epic Games has alarmed every gamer on the planet about the dangers of Apple's app despotism. The company should consider itself lucky, that this monopoly lasted that long. Just like the galactic empire, its fall was ultimately unavoidable. All we can do is shorten the darkness.
To be fair the Epic dispute was never about the App Store fees. Epic made 3% of their Fortnite profits from iOS and 60% from PlayStation platforms. Why not go after Sony?

Epic aren’t dumb enough to bite the hand that feeds them. They pick a fight with Apple they know they’ll never win but the press gives them months of free marketing. If they did win they could then leverage this against Sony and Microsoft and get the Epic Games Store on consoles.

That was the endgame.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The Mac is an open platform.

Again, the Mac is an open platform. Are you saying the Mac is not quality?

What does this have to do with anything?

Mac is completely shutdown by Apple, you cannot do anything with it. Try Linux for once and it will see how closed Windows and Mac are.

You can literally change anything you want to your liking in Linux.

The fact that people prefer how Apple dictates what Mac OS is rather than having the freedom to do whatever you want to do, shows that people prefer the high quality standards Apple enforces and Apple having control over their computer.

Last edited:

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Gudi isn’t wrong. The EU represents what happens when you have laws made in favour of the people instead of those made in favour of the 1%.
High praise and well deserved. ☺️
The EU was a peace project designed to prevent the destructive wars that had plagued the continent for centuries prior and it worked.
The human rights issue is not just about avoiding war. When you join a common market with lots of other countries, who don't even share the same word for ****, then you need a good level of protection. You can't compete with British privateers, Spanish conquistadors, Swedish vikings, French revolutionaries, Belgian colonists, Italian mafiosi and German slave labor camps in an open market.

Rule of law, human rights and democratic elections are a prerequisite for opening up borders between countries. Not only do these principles protect 99% of the people from an oligarchy of the 1%, they also protect the rich of one country from the legalized criminals of another. The Wagner groups and Mullah regimes and what else exists in the world.

If American workers are exploited for the profits of American corporations, everything is still fine in the eyes of capitalists. But if Chinese sweatshops make the profits, it’s suddenly unfair competition and we need to de-couple and revert globalization. So market regulations don’t just tame capitalism, they enable free trade to work in the first place.

Americans try to rein in the excesses of capitalism with the legal system after the damage is already done. They allow the direct marketing of opioids to the public and after the inevitable drug epidemic kills thousands each day, they shut the business down and allow the owners to pay a small fine from the interests of the wealth they accumulated.

If this was one country doing it to another, it would cause a series of opium wars and the takeover of an anti-imperial anti-capitalist regime. Because that’s what happened in China with British drug lords. But here we are, blaming the EU for banning harmful business practices before **** hits the fan.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Epic aren’t dumb enough to bite the hand that feeds them. They pick a fight with Apple they know they’ll never win but the press gives them months of free marketing. If they did win they could then leverage this against Sony and Microsoft and get the Epic Games Store on consoles.
Poor Apple, made themselves an easy target for public defiance of oppressive monopolistic structures in the gaming industry. Like when Rosa Parks attacked the Montgomery bus system for its inherent racism and not something that's more vital to the survival of black people.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you! Byte the other hand! Than snatch the treat. 🌭

Aren't we lucky that Apple pays next to no taxes in Europe? We wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds us! 😆

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
To be fair the Epic dispute was never about the App Store fees. Epic made 3% of their Fortnite profits from iOS and 60% from PlayStation platforms. Why not go after Sony?

I imagine a reason they didn't go after Sony is because Sony didn't have the same degree of restrictions with PlayStation and Xperia that Apple did with iPhone/iOS such as having to use Apple’s App Store, lack of app/in-app purchasing options, etc. Since Epic could sell its games for PS and Experia through multiple avenues, things weren't nearly as restrictive with Sony as they were with Apple/iOS.

Reactions: JamesHolden

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I imagine a reason they didn't go after Sony is because Sony didn't have the same degree of restrictions with PlayStation and Xperia that Apple did with iPhone/iOS such as having to use Apple’s App Store, lack of app/in-app purchasing options, etc. Since Epic could sell its games for PS and Experia through multiple avenues, things weren't nearly as restrictive with Sony as they were with Apple/iOS.
The reason console manufacturers are not being classed as ‘gatekeepers’ is because you always have the option of buying discs or game codes from a variety of retailers.

If consoles went download only then they might have a problem. Heck when Microsoft released its download-only Series S they lowered their store cut to 15% to keep regulators away.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The reason console manufacturers are not being classed as ‘gatekeepers’ is because you always have the option of buying discs or game codes from a variety of retailers.

If consoles went download only then they might have a problem. Heck when Microsoft released its download-only Series S they lowered their store cut to 15% to keep regulators away.
I believe they only lowered to 15% for app subscriptions, all games purchases and subscriptions remain at 30%

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

Ok, but I was responding to your comment about why Epic didn't go after Sony. I don't think Epic's decision was just about not wanting to bite the hand that feeds them. It was also related to Apple being a lot more restrictive than Sony. If Sony was as restrictive as Apple, Epic may have gone after then too.

Reactions: JamesHolden

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Mac is completely shutdown by Apple, you cannot do anything with it. Try Linux for once and it will see how closed Windows and Mac are.

You can literally change anything you want to your liking in Linux.

The fact that people prefer how Apple dictates what Mac OS is rather than having the freedom to do whatever you want to do, shows that people prefer the high quality standards Apple enforces and Apple having control over their computer.
Of course Linux is more open. D'uh. This thread is about gatekeepers, not about which OS is the most open. macOS is far more open than iOS. There's no monopoly App Store on macOS. Users are free to obtain software from outside Apple's walled garden. Users can download source code and compile it themselves. Developers can use whatever payment processing system they want in their apps. Apple doesn't get to decide what apps are allowed on the platform. Etc.

Of course you know all of this already, so again, what's your point?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Of course Linux is more open. D'uh. This thread is about gatekeepers, not about which OS is the most open. macOS is far more open than iOS. There's no monopoly App Store on macOS. Users are free to obtain software from outside Apple's walled garden. Users can download source code and compile it themselves. Developers can use whatever payment processing system they want in their apps. Apple doesn't get to decide what apps are allowed on the platform. Etc.

Of course you know all of this already, so again, what's your point?

It's about what consumers prefer and the consumers prefer Apple's control. That is the point.

From the closed down Mac OS, iOS and developers having to adhere to quality standards that Apple has set out on iOS.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
It's about what consumers prefer and the consumers prefer Apple's control. That is the point.
I don't know that they prefer control. Most people aren't very tech savvy and Apple delivers a great user experience. I think they prefer the user experience, not being nannied and coddled by some corporation. Where is the data showing that being controlled by some corporation is what users want?

From the closed down Mac OS, iOS and developers having to adhere to quality standards that Apple has set out on iOS.
macOS is not closed down. You can repeat that all you want, but it won't make it true.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Ok, but I was responding to your comment about why Epic didn't go after Sony. I don't think Epic's decision was just about not wanting to bite the hand that feeds them. It was also related to Apple being a lot more restrictive than Sony. If Sony was as restrictive as Apple, Epic may have gone after then too.
My point was that Epic paid so little to Apple in App Store fees overall it really shouldn’t have bothered them at all.

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
So, here's my latest hope for Apple. Create an EU-Only version of IOS, and wall off the EU from the rest of the world. Don't change anything about IOS for the rest of the world.
Never going to happen. The writing is on the wall. The EU is the just the beginning. Other countries are also taking aim at the App Store, including Japan which has a huge percentage of iPhone users. It's only a matter of time before we see legislation in the US too. It might still take a few years, but Apple's digital pimp model is coming to an end.

This would have the effect of cutting any efforts at implementing a 3rd Party App store, because the market is only EU. As we've seen on the Android side, 3rd party markets aren't popular, even with a global market, and haven't made much if any difference to the Android Experience. Again, a point the supporters simply ignore. But hey, do your thing EU.
I seriously doubt Apple will develop an EU-only version of iOS. As you note, third party app stores aren't even popular on Android, so Apple is unlikely to lose much money when it allows third party app stores and/or downloading apps directly from developers. Maintaining a separate EU-only version of iOS seems like a lot of work for questionable gain.

I'm so bored with the "sky is falling" narrative around third party app stores. The Mac isn't a wasteland of malware. What someone else installs on his or her Mac from whatever questionable source does not impact my Mac one bit. The same people who whine endlessly about privacy and how they'll be forced to download apps from less secure locations...are the same people who surf the (wild wild) web and get tracked by all sorts of third party apps without a second thought.

We don't need corporations (or governments) nannying us. I'm confident that Apple has built such a great platform and user experience that most people will continue to choose it - even when third party app stores exist. A few obvious apps will leave the App Store, like Facebook, but if one is worried about privacy and using Facebook, a therapist is probably in order.

For me it's never been about the money. I can see why people object to 30%, especially since it's just a number Jobs pulled out of thin air, but I'm far more bothered by the control aspect of Apple's model than the financial one. People have become incredibly reliant upon technology and that trend is only accelerating. We must push back on efforts to control us whether they come from corporations or governments. Apple's model is an Orwellian dream come true, which, as a 40+ year Apple customer, I cannot help but find both ironic and depressing.

Reactions: Gudi

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Nope. Netflix and Spotify are both major players and are not free. Again, Apple doesn't set their pricing or even take a cut.

That could literally be said about any marketplace. It has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

You are trying to limit a market as an individual marketplace. When talking about monopolies and antitrust, a market is defined by goods and services that can be reasonably substituted for one another. I can get Netflix through the web or Apple or Google or Amazon or Vizio or Samsung or... they are all interchangeable.

You are incorrect per the definition that you provided. They obviously don't have sole power, because you already acknowledged that pricing power rests with the developer.

Here's how it is defined in the US.
Respectfully, it absolutely cannot "be said about any marketplace" because marketplaces are as a general rule not privately owned. The housing market is not privately owned, for example. It is a public domain, regulated by the state. The Apple App Store *IS* privately gate kept, and the owner of that store can (and does) act as a private regulator AND affects prices AND takes a cut.

Pricing power on the App Store most assuredly does NOT exclusively "rest with the developer"

Your interchangeability point is beside the point and not germane to the question.

I am right. You are wrong.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
My point was that Epic paid so little to Apple in App Store fees overall it really shouldn’t have bothered them at all.

Even though Epic may have been paying Apple a lot less, it was Apple that had the restrictions on alternative app stores, payment systems, etc. and that's what they had issue with. They went after Apple because they presumably felt they had a better case and/or justification to do so than they would’ve had against Sony.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Even though Epic may have been paying Apple a lot less, it was Apple that had the restrictions on alternative app stores, payment systems, etc. and that's what they had issue with. They went after Apple because they presumably felt they had a better case and/or justification to do so than they would’ve had against Sony.
I still disagree. The amount they spent on the lawsuit with Apple dwarfs the amount lost to them in App Store fees. Epic were quite happy to pay the fees and get up on stage with Apple when promoting Infinity Blade.

It’s simple maths really. Going by the July 2020 Stats we can see that 47% of players of Fortnite are on PlayStation, 28% on Xbox One, 14% on PC and the remaining 11% split between iOS, Android and Nintendo. The individual iOS stat is maybe 7%. The Verge article also mentions that the iOS version earned less than the Switch version, despite having double the device share. Given that Nintendo only had a less than 4% devices share we will be generous and say that Apple accounted for 4% of revenue.

Fortnite generated just over $5bn in revenue for FY2020.

If we do that as a split we can see that $3.7bn came from console players (PS+Xbox, 73% combined playerbase) and $204m came from iOS (4% liberal market estimate). Of that revenue $1.1bn was given to Sony and Microsoft combined (30% cut) whilst they paid only $61m to Apple. Just to let that sink in thats around 20% of overall revenue paid to Sony and Microsoft and 1.3% paid to Apple.

It makes absolutely zero sense to sue a company as big as Apple just to claw back a paltry 1.3% of your revenue, especially when you’re willing to burn $330m of your profit just to try to out-muscle Valve.

But by suing Apple they get free publicity (which must have worked because Fortnite’s revenue for FY2021 was $5.8bn and this was after getting booted from the App Store), make themselves look like the ‘David’ they obviously aren’t and on the very narrow chance that they do win and get to bypass the App Store they can then leverage that against Sony and Microsoft who would then have no choice but to capitulate.

But if you sue your biggest pair of revenue generators you could find yourself booted from their storefronts altogether and lose all profitability in the process.

It was a clever decision on Epic’s part but it was never about the fact that Apple was taking 30% but that everyone was. Don’t lose sight of that.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It’s so funny that people who have no say on the issue of European regulation dare to disagree with me. The law is the law. It’s been approved by 27 governments we voted for. You never need to visit Europe, if you can’t stand freedom of side-loading apps from the web. 🤷

• Haha
Reactions: Wildkraut and I7guy

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
It doesn't necessarily matter if it's sold separately, together/bundled or both ways. When you buy a PC from Dell, HP, etc. you are buying the operating system (Windows) bundled with the hardware. When you buy an iPhone from Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, etc. you are buying the operating system (iOS) bundled with the hardware. Some of Microsoft's bigger DOJ issues was regarding the sale of Windows with PCs (software and hardware together) to consumers and that’s how iPhones are sold (software and hardware together) to consumers.
Again, the OS is a separate charge and a separate purchase. The issue isn't whether it's sold separate from the rest of the computer; the issue is that you are charged separately and purchase the OS separately for everything not Apple. Apple does not sell their OS. You do not purchase their OS. You do not own their OS. Check your contract and their TOS.

It's not nonsensical. Microsoft's "anticompetitive behavior" was restricting competitor software like browsers on Windows (at least when sold as part of the hardware/PC) just as Apple's "anticompetitive behavior" is restricting competitor software like browser engines, app stores, etc. on iOS. Apple is even worse as they go one step further and restrict end users form installing alternative browser engines, app stores, etc.
See above. The issue is that MS was selling a product in Windows. Apple is not selling their OS.

So then, no it's not a money grab. It's about regulating "dominant" players in a market who engage in "anticompetitive behavior."
This is the non-sensical part. Define "dominant". Because they don't. They give a nebulous set of kinda-parameters and that's it.

It doesn't necessarily matter if a product is manufactured "for" a particular store or many stores or manufactured to be sold through/by a particular store or many different stores. Once again, retailers like Walmart absolutely can have control over the pricing of products they sell. Manufacturers of all kinds may set an MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) but that doesn't necessarily mean retailers have to stick to that price. Note the word SUGGESTED in MSRP as it can be illegal for manufacturers to dictate pricing to third party retailers. This would be known as vertical price fixing.
Walmart does not own Frito Lay. The Apple App Store does not own your app unless you make it as an employee of Apple. The store does not and cannot set the price of the product unless they manufacture it themselves. Hence the MSRP. MSRP only applies to companies selling their own product through their own vendors. Hence there is no MSRP on a used car as it does not apply when the manufacturer is not selling the car through one of their vendors.

As far as app stores go, they absolutely could work with developers regarding sales, discounts, etc. to entice people to use their store.
Absolutely they could but the only party benefitting from that arrangement is the store who is still getting their cut undiminished. It's still incumbent upon the app dev to set a sales price. And unless there's a competing app, which has nothing at all to do with the number of stores available, there is no incentive to put an app on sale just because there's multiple stores.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Well he was, but you're not. It could be read also "return it to me". Because no one really reads fleeting user agreements that change in every OS update as other self serving policies attached as they are mostly incomprehensible to the common man. By the way, this does not affect just Apple, so is not that its creating disadvantages to the company when facing its competition.
Blame governments and trial lawyers. You think Apple wants to sit around and rewrite them all the time?

You mention the one city worth a damn in Texas as an example for the rest. Sorry but Texas is a fascist state. The cruelty and human trafficking committed by its governor is just an example of that. The stripping of human rights is another. Sure Austin is the most liberal and therefore the nicest part of Texas, but over all, it sucks. Do not approve. California is still growing its population because it is a desirable place to live. That's why it costs so much to live there. If people were leaving in such droves home prices would be going down. They aren't. Frankly, I wish people would leave, it would make the traffic a little easier, but more would just replace them because, you know, beaches, redwoods, properly run non-fascist government... the basics.
You use the word fascist a lot but it doesn’t mean what you think it does. California and all the regulations they have put in place over the last few decades is the very example of the word you like to use so often. Just because something has outer physical beauty doesn’t mean the core isn’t rotten. California is the hot girl every one wanted to date but turned out to be a total b*tch that no one wanted to spend an extended amount of time with. Don’t worry, as normal people continue to leave and are replaced with the dregs that are currently moving in, you’ll be having a great time.

I don't think that's right. The App Store is indeed a marketplace. It would be a "store" if Apple was selling its own commodities there (like the bricks and mortar Apple Store, or on the web, for example). But the App Store is a place where other companies sell THEIR commodities, and Apple takes a service fee "cut" for each sale. Apple does influence the price of these apps and their ability to sell, in numerous ways. It influences with variable percentage it takes as a cut, and also strictly prevents those companies sell their commodities via channels outside of Apple from within those apps. It also disallows other app stores from operating on the iOS platform. That is quite a lot of interference. It is classic monopolist behavior.
Companies aren’t forced to make iOS apps or appear on the platform. They can build their own web app if they chose.

It's not our fault, when European soft power is stronger than American or Chinese soft power. The world is an open market of ideas and countries take inspiration from the places they view as best-regulated. Till this day Chinese mothers prefer imported German baby formula over domestic brands, because they trust in our food safety regulation after a 2008 milk scandal killed six babies in China. Don't kill babies and maybe countries all over the world will follow your regulations.
😂 “Soft power”, how many times has Europe attempted and or flat out controlled the world? There has been at least one physical armed conflict going on in, or involving Europe since the beginning of recorded history.

Also you could almost trust a random mud puddle to be healthier for you than any canned Chinese product.

Except that I don't have a vote on the parties who select the next Tim Apple. And there's also no court on which I can sue Tim, if he fails to follow his own Tim rules. Corporate self-regulation is full-on despotism.
Look up becoming a shareholder. You can do those very things.

Yes because a certain Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin ( full name used for clear identification NOT as a sign of respect, tyrants need to be clearly labeled) decided to send his army into a sovereign neighbour and the EU did not have adequate time to switvh from russiangas( delivered via pipelines) to lng from elsewhere due to the ,ead time required to get re gasification plants operational. But funding said tyrand war efforts where ( correctly imho) seen as more damaging then rationing the gas. Yes I kniw certain land locked EU members still import Russian gas, but I think they ate allso working hard to buy capacity at re gasification plants in other EU countries as soon as it is available and also to pot infrastructure in place to get enugh capacity on on piplinrs that are set up to pump in the right direction and not owned by russian connected enreries
😂 Gosh, who could have seen this coming, right? Oh wait a minute, I remember Eurpoe being warned about this very thing not too long ago. Instead of doing something about it they thought it would be better to laugh at the messenger than to take action. 🤗

Holy f*ck, I'm out of downvotes when I need it the most.
Use the laughing vote. It’s appropriate.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
And if you're not such a major player, but a small startup that tries to sell music and movies, Apple will take a cut from your income. The mere fact that I need Apple's approval to get my app listed on the AppStore is problematic. The user must be free to install apps from anywhere on the web.
Nope. A small startup can use the same setup as Netflix to avoid the App Store cut.

It's not "my definition", it's a definition I pulled from the "Economics Online" website.

In the case of a company having 99% share of a market, that company would presumably be labeled a monopoly.
Obviously, the definition that you are linking to is different that what you quoted. And, once again, duopoly is not the word that I originally said you defined arbitrarily. It's just the tangent that you went off on.

Chocking isn’t it? When you sarcastically apply the same measure to another OP POV, right in the previous moment, is just an exercise of rhetoric. Chill man, I meant no offense and I’m sure you did not either.
I was not sarcastic, not did I accuse the other poster of being dishonest. In fact, I thought they were being refreshingly honest.

Of course it has to do with the Apple Agreements including the software SLA . They will need to change to comply with the EU economic platform policies. Much as users and developer need to comply when Apple makes changes or additions to their policies. It’s just business as usual. The particulars is up for Apple lawyers to implement pending on Apple approach and decisions. Not just Apple, every member of such an exclusive group of companies as defined by the EU DMA.
Cheers.
I don't know what you are talking about. Apple's developer agreements will likely need to be updated in the EU. Not their SLAs.

I don't see how it does. We need only look to the Mac. What someone else does on his or her iOS device won't impact yours anymore than what someone else does on his or her Mac impacts mine. The Mac isn't "more permeable", nor does it have an increased security risk because it is more open.
Of course the Mac has an increased security risk because it is more open than iOS.

Respectfully, it absolutely cannot "be said about any marketplace" because marketplaces are as a general rule not privately owned. The housing market is not privately owned, for example. It is a public domain, regulated by the state. The Apple App Store *IS* privately gate kept, and the owner of that store can (and does) act as a private regulator AND affects prices AND takes a cut.
What are you talking about? You defined a marketplace as "a place where other companies sell THEIR commodities, and [a company] takes a service fee "cut" for each sale." Obviously thousand of private marketplaces exist. I sell through them all the time.

Pricing power on the App Store most assuredly does NOT exclusively "rest with the developer"
I never said it did. All I said was that (per your own definition), Apple does not have ""sole power to set pricing" for apps.

Your interchangeability point is beside the point and not germane to the question.
It's exactly the point in that we are discussing how markets are defined in antitrust law.

Last edited:

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I was not sarcastic, not did I accuse the other poster of being dishonest. In fact, I thought they were being refreshingly honest.

Of course we're not being sarcastic on your observation. You were actually complimenting the other OP on his refreshing honesty. You even properly quoted him.

I did not accused you of being dishonest, I don't know you man. I meant your line of observations about other people stances are not honest and you seam to insist on the same register.

I don't know what you are talking about. Apple's developer agreements will likely need to be updated in the EU. Not their SLAs.

Of course you do not know what I'm talking about. Yet, it seams that you got there by yourself ... Congrats.

The exchange has been amusing ... cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildkraut

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I still disagree. The amount they spent on the lawsuit with Apple dwarfs the amount lost to them in App Store fees. Epic were quite happy to pay the fees and get up on stage with Apple when promoting Infinity Blade.

But going back to your post I had first replied to, you had asked why they didn't go after Sony. Based on Epic's specific issues with Apple (restricting alternative app stores, alternative payment options, sideloading, etc.) what suit would've they have brought against Sony since there were already multiple ways and payment options for buying Epic games to use on PS and Xperia.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Again, the OS is a separate charge and a separate purchase. The issue isn't whether it's sold separate from the rest of the computer; the issue is that you are charged separately and purchase the OS separately for everything not Apple. Apple does not sell their OS. You do not purchase their OS. You do not own their OS. Check your contract and their TOS.

When you buy a compute from Dell, HP, etc. you are buying the OS with the hardware similar to when you buy an iPhone from Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, etc. you are buying the OS with the hardware. You are not necessarily being charged separately (separate line items), you are being charged for both the OS and hardware combined (one price).

You don't "own" the OS in either case (Windows or iOS) as you are really just buying a license to use the OS. However, you are buying the license in BOTH cases.

See above. The issue is that MS was selling a product in Windows. Apple is not selling their OS.

Apple is indeed selling the OS as part of the purchase of an iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc. just as can be the case when buying a PC.

This is the non-sensical part. Define "dominant". Because they don't. They give a nebulous set of kinda-parameters and that's it.

They define "dominant" via their gatekeeper criteria. It's no more nebulous than monopoly, duopoly, etc. can be.

Walmart does not own Frito Lay. The Apple App Store does not own your app unless you make it as an employee of Apple. The store does not and cannot set the price of the product unless they manufacture it themselves. Hence the MSRP. MSRP only applies to companies selling their own product through their own vendors. Hence there is no MSRP on a used car as it does not apply when the manufacturer is not selling the car through one of their vendors.

It doesn’t matter if they own the manufacturer or not. MSRP does NOT only apply to companies selling their own product through their own vendors. Once again, retailers like Walmart absolutely can have control over the pricing of products they sell. Manufacturers of all kinds may set an MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) but that doesn't necessarily mean retailers have to stick to that price. Note the word SUGGESTED in MSRP as it can be illegal for manufacturers to dictate pricing to third party retailers. This would be known as vertical price fixing.

Absolutely they could but the only party benefitting from that arrangement is the store who is still getting their cut undiminished. It's still incumbent upon the app dev to set a sales price. And unless there's a competing app, which has nothing at all to do with the number of stores available, there is no incentive to put an app on sale just because there's multiple stores.

A manufacturer or developer may set a (suggested) retail price but that doesn't necessarily mean it will or has to be the actual selling price.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Obviously, the definition that you are linking to is different that what you quoted.

Below is a screem shot of what I posted as a definition of a duopoly...

MR.jpg

Below is a screen shot of the definition on the page I posted a link to...

EOUK.jpg

How are they "obviously" different??

And, once again, duopoly is not the word that I originally said you defined arbitrarily.

What was the word that you originally said I defined arbitrarily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.