Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your feelings from the new Journal app?

• I absolutely love it!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Undecided as of yet

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Don't like it. But maybe it could grow on me?!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I can't believe it's this terrible.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I guess I'm just a little curious why there are so many people in the Journal forum who have absolutely no interest in using Apple's Journal app.
Maybe because there was a (albeit skewed) Poll attached, and then folks following to see the rationale for the answers?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The difference between sharing a YouTube video to Journal from the app (bottom) and from Safari (top).
IMG_4194.jpeg

and you actually are able to play the videos directly in Journal if you share from Safari.

Reactions: addamas

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm underwhelmed, especially by the fact that there's no way to use it on a Mac. Not much use to me to peck out anything of consequence on my iPhone.

But if Notes and other Apple apps are any indication, it may follow the Apple trajectory of an under-baked initial release followed by strong and steady development until it's a worthy contender. Remember, Notes used to ship with a fake handwriting font and basically nothing else. Now it's got formatting, folders, hashtags, checklists and even collaboration. Not that Journal would need this exact feature set, but Apple is generally pretty decent at not outright abandoning products the way some other platforms (Google) do.

Last edited:

FireFish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I'm underwhelmed, especially by the fact that there's no way to use it on a Mac. Not much use to me to peck out anything of consequence on my iPhone.

But if Notes and other Apple apps are any indication, it may follow the Apple trajectory of an under-baked initial release followed by strong and steady development until it's a worthy contender. Remember, Notes used to ship with a fake handwriting font and basically nothing else. Now it's got formatting, folders, hashtags, checklists and even collaboration. Not that Journal would need this exact feature set, but Apple is generally pretty decent at not outright abandoning products the way some other platforms (Google) do.
I'm extremely underwhelmed and frankly surprised that Apple, who doesn't pivot into these native-app projects lightly, has taken on the journal challenge and released such a lackluster app.
DayOne is so much more sophisticated and feature packed, it's almost laughable.
Obviously Apple has tighter access towards integrating Journal within the iOS ecosystem, considering that DayOne is limited to use of the developer access Apple allows app developers to integrate their app in iOS. We all know by now that Journal has some extra settings that DayOne could never adopt, merely because Journal is a native Apple app and DayOne isn't. But beyond that, it's baffling how many key features that any serious journal user would expect are blatantly missing from Journal. Exporting is just one of the dozens that comes to mind.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I'm extremely underwhelmed and frankly surprised that Apple, who doesn't pivot into these native-app projects lightly, has taken on the journal challenge and released such a lackluster app.
Obviously Apple has tighter access towards integrating Journal within the iOS ecosystem, considering that DayOne is limited to use of the developer access Apple allows app developers to integrate their app in iOS. We all know by now that Journal has some extra settings that DayOne could never adopt, merely because Journal is a native Apple app and DayOne isn't. But beyond that, it's baffling how many key features that any serious journal user would expect are blatantly missing from Journal. Exporting is just one of the dozens that comes to mind.

And that’s what subsequent releases are for. No app starts right out of the gate with all the features it will eventually have.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Not sure why you bothered quoting my entire post, just to disregard the majority of it. Like I said, Apple has a history of testing the waters with a minimum viable product and then iterating consistently until it's a solid contender. Again, look at Notes. Hell, look at the iPhone itself, which launched without video recording, or an App Store or even copy/paste.

So, maybe chill with the angry bold text statements a bit, leave off of Journal and use DayOne and come back to Journal later if you care to. It's not costing like it's costing you money or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I think something a lot of people are forgetting is the ability to dictate entries which is incredibly easy. Do that in the quiet of your office or room and it’s easier than using a larger device.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I hope they have an iPad / Mac client to easily be able to view content easier than the phone app.
We’re gonna need this. I log 5-6 journals each days & it begins to be too long to swipe down to see old ones.
I hope they’ll also adopt Year/Month/Day bottom tabs on Photo. That’s such a great way to browse through history.
Have to say it’s one of my most used app on iPhone currently. Who would have thought?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
We’re gonna need this. I log 5-6 journals each days & it begins to be too long to swipe down to see old ones.
I hope they’ll also adopt Year/Month/Day bottom tabs on Photo. That’s such a great way to browse through history.
Have to say it’s one of my most used app on iPhone currently. Who would have thought?
Yeah, it is addicting to add more content to it. I hope Apple does to this app what they did with the Reminders and Notes app. Those apps replaced paid subscriptions like the Things and Evernote apps as they became more powerful and even better than the paid alternatives.

Reactions: matrix07

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I was excited about this Journal feature,
until the app is only available on the iPhone, the worst :apple: devise to type or to "journal" on.
My point is the phone screen is small, typing is a nuisance and
too many things happen on a phone that interrupts typing,
while the iPad is perfect for this feature.

hopefully this might happen soon?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I was excited about this Journal feature,
until the app is only available on the iPhone, the worst :apple: devise to type or to "journal" on.
My point is the phone screen is small, typing is a nuisance and
too many things happen on a phone that interrupts typing,
while the iPad is perfect for this feature.

hopefully this might happen soon?

Almost certainly (at least if they are serious about it). But probably not before iOS 18 is released in September.

You can understand why they might have made this decision not to do that at the outset: the iPhone is the source of much of the locational and other data that feeds the Journaling Suggestion API. So, many of the journaling prompts that show up on the phone version of the app would not show up on an iPad version, since (for most iPads) it would have no way of “knowing” where you’ve been, who you’ve spoken to, etc. That would lead to a markedly inferior experience for iPad-only users.

I think once the app is established, they will port it to the iPad and Mac.

Reactions: teerexx52

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
After using the Journal app for a couple of weeks, here are some thoughts:

- I often find myself wanting to share content from my iPad to the app, but unfortunately, there's no iPad support yet.
- It would be helpful to have search functionality and tagging options for better organization.
- Integrating music playback directly within the app, rather than redirecting to the Music app, would enhance the user experience. Even a 30-second preview would suffice.
- Seamless integration with Apple Music and Apple TV apps would be convenient, eliminating the need to use the share menu.
- Adding multiple songs to an entry would be a valuable feature.
- Improvements to the previews of Apple Music and Apple TV content, perhaps by prioritizing artwork, would enhance the visual experience.

Despite these suggestions, I appreciate the app's simplicity. It's possible that some of these limitations are intentional for the user's benefit.

Reactions: ppetrovic

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
There is one thing I believe Apple is wrong about.

when one add a photo to a moment already created the time stamp of that photo should be when it was TAKEN, not ADDED.

I hope Apple correct this.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
There is one thing I believe Apple is wrong about.

when one add a photo to a moment already created the time stamp of that photo should be when it was TAKEN, not ADDED.

I hope Apple correct this.

…or gives users the option to pick the date.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Integrating music playback directly within the app, rather than redirecting to the Music app
In a Moment you can play a song right there in Journal. Sadly this doesn’t work for songs you shared or added from Music.
IMG_4660.jpeg

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I am trying out another journal app which is called Diarium and it's only a one time fee of £7.99 here in the UK.
It looks like you can import from all of the other popular journaling apps as well.

It is available on iOS, Mac and Android and so far I am impressed.

Are you still using Diarium? How is that going? I find the Apple approach useless as it is currently not available on Mac or iPad and I refuse to pay a subscription.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
Yes I am still using it as I am running it alongside the apple one, still unsure about which one to go with.

I think Diarium is going to be the one that I will use, not having any problems with it and it is a one time purchase and cross platform.

Reactions: icanhazmac

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Yes I am still using it as I am running it alongside the apple one, still unsure about which one to go with.

I think Diarium is going to be the one that I will use, not having any problems with it and it is a one time purchase and cross platform.

Is Diarium using the Apple Journaling suggestion API?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.