Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Read what I wrote in post# 110. Apple has been serving the commercial/business/defense community since the beginning, with a separate marketing department.

Of course you haven't heard about it because that's generally not covered by consumer-focused websites oriented towards consumers.

Fair enough but this was a fairly consumer facing earnings call. Just would be a better sign if he had something else to say about it besides enterprise, which was always going to be a fairly safe bet.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The simple answer is that nobody really knows at this point, as it's wholly dependent on how many people actually choose to transact outside of the App Store. Apple has said that the EU accounts for only around 7% of their App Store revenue, and any financial impact is likely going to be only a fraction of that (ie: immaterial).

Like you said, it's an earnings call, not a prelude to WWDC.

I don't know why you expect anything different. Past earnings calls gives one a pretty good idea of what information Apple is willing to give away, and what they choose not to.

True enough, I'm just saying that what they chose to say this time does not sound like things are going exactly to plan in a lot of areas. Hopefully just an in-between time, this is always one of their quietest quarters in terms of actually doing things.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
What's next? Apple just discovering their computers may have a use in business?

Ha well millions of Windows and nix admins would find that an ironic statement. They do have a use of course, but a bit of a niche one even today. If you use a Mac in a business environment, you're pretty much going to be your own admin, and if you have actual IT they are probably going to not like you very much unless they also happen to be Apple enthusiasts.

But I get your point, even though you aren't replying to me. It's in the vein of what I said above, it just seems even Apple isn't quite sure the Vision Pro is going to be a consumer success like they clearly hoped it would be.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
But I get your point, even though you aren't replying to me. It's in the vein of what I said above, it just seems even Apple isn't quite sure the Vision Pro is going to be a consumer success like they clearly hoped it would be.

At AVP's price point I'm sure Apple was aware it wouldn't even be close to the success of iPhone and other devices in consumer markets.

IMO, it's a first gen device whose goal was to get developers writing general purpose apps for both consumer and *some* commercial markets. Specific companies, such a KLM, will write their own tailored apps for their specific needs as no one else would be able to do that not knowing what their specific needs are.

Apple over time will introduce cost-reduced and more refined/smaller AVPs that will be more affordable to consumers. By then, early adopter developers will have more apps out there that can serve both consumer and some commercial markets.

I wouldn't be shocked if in the background Apple develops a more building-block like "app-maker" product allowing non-programmers to build interesting apps for their needs.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Ha well millions of Windows and nix admins would find that an ironic statement. They do have a use of course, but a bit of a niche one even today. If you use a Mac in a business environment, you're pretty much going to be your own admin, and if you have actual IT they are probably going to not like you very much unless they also happen to be Apple enthusiasts.

Of course. Windows is the business standard. Still, there are many companies who choose to use Macs. And Apple has a marketing department to serve those needs.

You just don't hear about it because that's relatively boring news for tech-focused websites.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Of course. Windows is the business standard. Still, there are many companies who choose to use Macs. And Apple has a marketing department to serve those needs.

You just don't hear about it because that's relatively boring news for tech-focused websites.

But you do hear about it?

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
You’re the one attacking me, chief.
LOL pot, kettle.

Most importantly, still using your replies to try to distract from any response to the link that you requested. So as I said earlier you're not interested in having a conversation, just sniping at other posters. Your request for a link was disingenuous, and clearly a waste of our time.

That's fine, I'm not going to continue a back and forth with someone who isn't interested in productive discussions here. Feel free to reply to this so you can tell yourself you've somehow had the last word. I won't see any such reply. Have a nice day.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California

Hi just FYI I work for an organization that has many Mac users and we have a capable, communicative, helpful and talented IT department. They make handling any issue a breeze, and I have never felt like I am my own admin there. So some workplaces value Mac users and pay/train the support staff for us.

I have worked elsewhere, however, where I would 100% agree with your first statement though. My current experience is much better than my previous workplace. And I'm sure there are many many other places like that, where Mac users are basically on their own.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
But you do hear about it?

Of course. In the past I worked at three companies that used Macs for desktop computers. Two of which I used Macs in systems I developed (which included our own special hardware and software) for our customers. As I previously mentioned, Apple has a department that takes care of business/commercial customers.

That's not unusual. Microsoft does the same.

I've yet to hear anything mentioned about Apple *directly* catering to business/commercial customers in tech enthusiast websites like MR and others. I suspect it's because that's not particularly interesting to that audience.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Of course. In the past I worked at three companies that used Macs for desktop computers. Two of which I used Macs in systems I developed (which included our own special hardware and software) for our customers. As I previously mentioned, Apple has a department that takes care of business/commercial customers.

That's not unusual. Microsoft does the same.

I've yet to hear anything mentioned about Apple *directly* catering to business/commercial customers in tech enthusiast websites like MR and others. I suspect it's because that's not particularly interesting to that audience.

The whole argument is ridiculous. Apple positioned the device as a consumer product. That’s just a fact. Sure, they make glancing mention of Vision in their B2B marketing but they do that with ALL their products. The point is that the PRIMARY and highly VISIBLE marketing effort around Vision has focused virtually exclusively on CONSUMERS, not businesses. That’s why Tim Cook’s comments stand out as a shift. He didn’t say ANYTHING about robust consumer sales. Instead he deflected onto supposed enterprise adoption.

I know you get what I’m saying. I also get that you can’t ever bring yourself to agree with anything I say, no matter what it is, so I don’t really know why you bother.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Hi just FYI I work for an organization that has many Mac users and we have a capable, communicative, helpful and talented IT department. They make handling any issue a breeze, and I have never felt like I am my own admin there. So some workplaces value Mac users and pay/train the support staff for us.

I have worked elsewhere, however, where I would 100% agree with your first statement though. My current experience is much better than my previous workplace. And I'm sure there are many many other places like that, where Mac users are basically on their own.

So, anecdote? Okay then.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
"aircraft engine maintenance"

Who actually falls for this BS? No one is using a VisionPro for aircraft engine maintenance, PERIOD. 🤣
They’re already using iPads. And, since Apple Vision Pro runs iPad apps, they could just Vision-ize their current iPad apps. It’s not even much of a stretch.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They’re already using iPads. And, since Apple Vision Pro runs iPad apps, they could just Vision-ize their current iPad apps. It’s not even much of a stretch.

The implication is that they’re using the device’s spatial computing functions. Not that they’re just using it as a face iPad.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The whole argument is ridiculous. Apple positioned the device as a consumer product. That’s just a fact. Sure, they make glancing mention of Vision in their B2B marketing but they do that with ALL their products. The point is that the PRIMARY and highly VISIBLE marketing effort around Vision has focused virtually exclusively on CONSUMERS, not businesses. That’s why Tim Cook’s comments stand out as a shift. He didn’t say ANYTHING about robust consumer sales. Instead he deflected onto supposed enterprise adoption.

I know you get what I’m saying. I also get that you can’t ever bring yourself to agree with anything I say, no matter what it is, so I don’t really know why you bother.

That's your reality. Not knowing that Apple has been privately marketing to commercial/business customers, going back 40 years. Even though you don't personally see that occurring.

The majority of AR uses are in commercial/business/medical/industrial spaces. That's why Apple has been reaching out to them and also collaborating with Stanford University's AR/VR laboratory for the last eight years in developing AVP.

I get it. You're happiest believing Apple is stupid, and went into this market blindly thinking a $3.5K device would sell like iPhones at 600,000 units per day.

And that it never occurred to Apple senior leadership, having not done any research at all over the last 8-9 years, the bulk of the AR market (right now), is in commercial/business/industrial/medical spaces - many of which I outlined last year on this forum. And that Apple is now wondering all of a sudden, hmmmm, I wonder if there might be some commercial/business opportunities with AR devices? Let's give it a try!

And that's OK. Keep on believing that!

Hmmm... As an aside, I wonder if Microsoft markets to businesses? I've never witnessed that on this forum, after all.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple lethargically enters the AI race where Microsoft, Amazon, Meta, and Alphabet have already poured billions. While the return on those investments are small so far their stocks have averaged a gain of 63% the last year, where Apple‘s have risen < 3%.
Apple lethargically enters EVERYWHERE. It’s a well worn pattern by now.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple advertises the vision pro as a spatial computer, not an pdf reader.
Apple advertises the vision pro as a spatial computer, you say? Ah, well MOST computers I’ve used over the last however many years are able to read pdf’s, in addition to many other things. :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The implication is that they’re using the device’s spatial computing functions. Not that they’re just using it as a face iPad.
The reality is that they’re using it as a face iPad. Which, apparently according to them, is as much better than the iPad as iPad was better than the paper documents and clipboards that came before them. Only people that don’t understand the aviation industry would expect it to have spatial computing functions whatever those are. :) It’s maintenance, not gazing at dinosaurs!

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple advertises the vision pro as a spatial computer, you say? Ah, well MOST computers I’ve used over the last however many years are able to read pdf’s, in addition to many other things. :)
paying close to $4000 to read PDFs is a poor use of money. I would think normal consumers are swayed into buying apple tech for the "status symbol" but not enterprise companies.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
paying close to $4000 to read PDFs is a poor use of money. I would think normal consumers are swayed into buying apple tech for the "status symbol" but not enterprise companies.
I’m sure a lot of people would consider it a poor use of money. Probably the same people that would also wonder, “Why use iPads, printing out paper documents must be a cheaper, less breakable solution!?” But, one would have to know how airplane maintenance fits into the larger commercial airline busses to understand how an Apple Vision Pro could possibly be consider cheaper.

And, Apple will likely sell more face iPad PDF viewers than Mac Studios this year. (Actually, looking at reported numbers, they already have)

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
"KLM is using ‌Apple Vision Pro‌ to train aircraft engine mechanics
Oh yeah, I'm sure there is nothing misleading in that statement at all :p

Im sure its like the BMW app that their race team is supposedly using, that just looks like a consumer grade demo for the VisionPro ...

• Love

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
paying close to $4000 to read PDFs is a poor use of money. I would think normal consumers might buy apple tech for the "status symbol" but not enterprise companies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.