Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
There's a choice of subjects for this month's assignment - after a furious round of late voting.

So you've got Transformation or Motion - or both if you're feeling clever!

The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme thus improving their photographic eye. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

You must have taken the picture yourself between 7 and 31 October 2006. If you took a picture that fits the assignment but was taken earlier, then post it in the Gallery: Transformation or Motion thread instead.

Anyone can enter from those with (D)SLRs from P&S to cameraphones although they should be pictures that you think are good rather than just snapshots. The goal is not to 'win' but to share the enjoyment of taking pictures and learn from others.

Some basic rules on commenting (basically be nice!) are listed. Changes to the rules should be discussed there just as remarks about the topic(s) chosen should be kept in the poll thread. Let's keep this thread just pictures and comments on them if possible

Post your pictures in this thread by the end of October with a title and we'll start commenting (make sure you title your comments referencing the pic you are commenting on)

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
easy ones first

What could be easier for "Transformation" than seasons like fall or spring. I like the muted browns of fall, which we have a lot of this year.

Today
Canon 5D
70 - 200 with 1.4 TC for 280 mm
f4.0 1/2500 sec iso 400

Attachments

• fall_MG_3381.jpg
    fall_MG_3381.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 178

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
going home - motion

d70s_01864.jpg

Toronto, Canada
TTC subway train leaving Osgoode Station (Queen Street)
October 7, 2006

NIKON D70s
Nikkor 12-24mm f4 DX @ 14mm
1/30 sec @ f4.5 @ ISO 200
No Flash, Multi-Segment Metering

post processing: converted to B&W

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Motion induced transformation of a beer can

The fall (seasonal) transformation picture was such a big hit, thought I would try this. Wanted to use a sledge hammer and a stump, but had to settle for the foot hammer instead. Maybe someone so equipped could try it?

Canon 5D
85 mm @ f3.2
exposure 2 seconds
iso 50

Attachments

• Can_MG_3414.jpg
    Can_MG_3414.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 175

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
snap58 said:
The fall (seasonal) transformation picture was such a big hit, thought I would try this. Wanted to use a sledge hammer and a stump, but had to settle for the foot hammer instead. Maybe someone so equipped could try it?

Canon 5D
85 mm @ f3.2
exposure 2 seconds
iso 50
Classic! How are we going to compete against this!!:D

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
snap58 said:

Canon 5D
85 mm @ f3.2
exposure 2 seconds
iso 50

this is great! maybe a cowboy boot?

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
I have some of those shots but they are way dark and I don't have a decent PP program to make those shots any better...

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
slowly *transforming* nature into a garbage dump

D70S_01891.jpg

Along a ravine in Toronto, Canada
October 8, 2006

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 12-24mm f4 DX @ 24mm
1/50 sec @ f4.5 @ ISO 200

I stumbled across this today. It's not even a public-picnic area and it's pretty out of the way (you have to make a real effort to get to it). The stuff looks like it had been there for a while. Reminds me of those "all-night" parties we had as teenagers - of course I'm sure we cleaned up after ourselves :p

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks! I was in the right place at the right time! Actually, I was walking on the path alongside the lake and startled several ducks which had been basking in the sun. I started shooting quickly as they quacked in alarm and headed for the safety of the lake.....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Haha, sweet pool shot. ;)

I'm trying to decide which photo to submit. I think this one is fine. There's quite a few photos I took yesterday that would qualify.

EDIT: Had trouble deciding which photo was better to show. This photo exhibits motion, but is nowhere near my sharpest or most well exposed photo taken yesterday, unfortunately. :eek:

Attachments

• Motion 3.jpg
    Motion 3.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 146

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
cookie1105 said:
Cheers gauchogolfer.

I am a bit annoyed about the reflections however, I might have to go and reshoot with a hood.
I actually didn't find the reflections distracting; to me they seemed almost like a vignetting effect, only light rather than dark. I'd like to see one taken with a hood on, but it's great as is.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
gauchogolfer said:
I actually didn't find the reflections distracting; to me they seemed almost like a vignetting effect, only light rather than dark. I'd like to see one taken with a hood on, but it's great as is.

i agree. let's see one without reflections. my guess is that it's going to look to "sterile" or to clean. i think it's perfect as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.