Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cookie1105 said:
I went on a short break to Sylt (an island off the north-west coast of Germany) Monday & Tuesday. Fantastic beaches and some beautiful sunsets. These are a couple of my water shots for this months assignment from that trip.
The first two I have cropped, saturated and adjust WB a bit.
The last one I unsharp masked the footprints to make them pop and cropped a bit.

Let me know what you think. Any constructive criticism is welcome as I am most definitely still learning.

Love what you shared. The last image of the sand dunes and the water struck me as best fitting the theme so far. The footprints seem to be PS'd in, but that does not distract from the quality of the image IMO.

I hope that this shot was done in a RAW format. For I can this as an image worthy of going to 20x20 inches or better! Maybe some work to bring the background more in line with the rest of the image in tonality. But I really see this image as being one that many a landscape photographer I know, to be jealous over with the right treatment.

I know that given the right printing, I would be willing to buy a print for my own wall. :)

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thanks for the very constructive comments Chip.:)

Luckily it was shot in RAW, so I might play with the tonality some more. You are quite right, the footprints were sharpened a bit too much but the picture is definitely not finished. I will keep in mind what you said about blowing it up.

Cheers.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I just returned from California, which included a couple of days in Big Sur. Here are a few pictures I liked from many, many that were taken. While water is included in each of these, it isn't necessarily the focal point.

click me

All were taken with a point & shoot (Sony DSC-P10).

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here's one I took earlier (today that is)

Attachments

• IMG_7597 - Version 2 copy.jpg
    IMG_7597 - Version 2 copy.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 139

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Orlando Furioso said:
of clouds.
I really like this one, it's a good play on the topic. I mean its not just a macro of droplets. Its a shot of clouds containing the water.

p.s. howed you get it?

DinoAdventure

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
I took this today, oddly before I even knew about these contests. I didn't even realize we had this kind of thing on the forum.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I took a lot of really fancy and overly-long-to-set-up shots for this, and then I decided to take a picture of my foot under the brook near my dorm. And so you have it. :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
OutThere said:
I took a lot of really fancy and overly-long-to-set-up shots for this, and then I decided to take a picture of my foot under the brook near my dorm. And so you have it. :D

somebody had to do it..........

Attachments

• toes.jpg
    toes.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 145

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Pic from a wedding last week that got a little wet (back ground is looking out over the south side of St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands)

D

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 155

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
FritzTheWonderM said:
Really nice composition. Half a stop lighter perhaps?

Thanks!

Yeah, it should be a little lighter, but that's actually how the place looked before it started to get a little lighter after the rain stopped.

I was going to go down and get another shot after relighting the candle to try some more views (which would have been quite cool), but the waiters came by and brushed all the water off - so all the water drops were gone :(

Here's one I *adjusted* :D

D

Attachments

• water1b.jpg
    water1b.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 144

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
gauchogolfer said:
When you add a little water to a very dry place....
post nr.38

i love the colors in your pic. but I can't see individual leaves of the blossom. it's all one orange. i encountered that problem also. is there a trick to increase the contrast (aside of heavy photoshopping)?

or maybe the problem only comes from converting the pic to jpeg?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
andiwm2003 said:
i love the colors in your pic. but I can't see individual leaves of the blossom. it's all one orange. i encountered that problem also. is there a trick to increase the contrast (aside of heavy photoshopping)?

or maybe the problem only comes from converting the pic to jpeg?

First of all, thanks for the feedback. As to your question, I think it's probably a limitation of my Minolta Dimage A2 lens. I did reduce the exposure and bumped up the contrast a small amount: here is the result of a crop of just the flower region. As you see, it's still pretty indistinct. Results were basically the same before the jpeg conversion, in RAW. Time to invest in that 30D + macro lens :) :)

Or just choose better lighting...hmm, decisions decisions.

At any rate, it'll probably be the only submission to this assignment which was photographed in Monaco :cool:

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Canon 30D, Sigma 150mm EX Macro, Sigma 500 DG Super flash
f13, 1/250, iso100

Attachments

• _MG_958.jpg
    _MG_958.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 144

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cookie1105 said:
Let me know what you think. Any constructive criticism is welcome as I am most definitely still learning.

Wow, that 3rd photo of yours of the sand ripples is very cool. It's probably my 2nd favourite so far, but Jared's photo above is my favourite. :)

I have this image in my head of what I want to photograph, but seeing as how I just came back from one of the driest areas on the driest continent on Earth, there wasn't much of a chance. :p Maybe I'll have time now.

Anyway, here's my first contributions to this thread, I think.

Photos #1 and #2 are both from a sunrise, although the boat and dock elements do relate to water. The sun sets on the west part of Australia, but where we were along the Indian ocean, we can get a clear view of the sun rising AND setting over water, which is a bit strange, but it did result in some nice photo opportunities.

You can see birds in Photo #2. They're these enormous black birds (don't know what they're called) and they travel in "groups" of 50-70, it appears. They move in unison very quickly, almost like a large school of some types of fish.

Photo#3 was taken at an incredibly beautiful uni campus. I haven't been on American university campuses, but I've heard some can be quite grand (although a bit like a shopping mall at times).

Attachments

• Boat and dock.JPG
    Boat and dock.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 131
  • Sunrise.JPG
    Sunrise.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 131
  • UWA.JPG
    UWA.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 127

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
MacMosher said:
p.s. howed you get it?

Thanks for the nice comment. I was trying to be a clever lil mouse.

Anyhow, I was high in the sky flying by... actually I do not know where I was, but it was somewhere over the North Carolina/Virginia border.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
Canon 30D, Sigma 150mm EX Macro, Sigma 500 DG Super flash
f13, 1/250, iso100

I appreciate the effort for this type of photo. Tried unsuccessfully back in HS so many years ago to do this type of image. Digital has in many ways made it easier. Thanks for sharing this.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Killylane Fisherman, County Antrim (Northern Ireland - UK)

I'm still relatively new to photography, but I took this photo this evening while I tried out my new camera. I am very pleased with the result, especially as it fits into the topic of this Assignment. I'd be very grateful for some feedback.

Btw, I love the photo by D LUX 2. Simply Fantastic!

killylanefisherman.jpg

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
cookie1105 said:

Wow, the one with the jet stream is lovely. It's like a barrier that breaks up the sky. I'm trying to think of a Jim Morrison quote that'll fit...well, it dosen't fit that well...but Jim's a legend...

"A vast radiant beach and a cool jeweled moon"

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
NATO said:
I'm still relatively new to photography, but I took this photo this evening while I tried out my new camera. I am very pleased with the result, especially as it fits into the topic of this Assignment. I'd be very grateful for some feedback.

Btw, I love the photo by D LUX 2. Simply Fantastic!

Yep, the D-Lux 2 is an amazing camera!

Like this image. The only thing I would prefer to see in it, is the man getting to release the fly, as opposed to after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.