Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
So the iPhone X launched in October of last year, which means that anyone who bought at launch has only made 10 of the required 12 payments. My account shows $95 to upgrade. Do you prepay that amount now and save the hassle on Friday night, or do you wait and do it one full transaction? Ironically, my next bill comes out on the 14th.

Reactions: KingBowser64

ck3801

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Boulder, CO
So the iPhone X launched in October of last year, which means that anyone who bought at launch has only made 10 of the required 12 payments. My account shows $95 to upgrade. Do you prepay that amount now and save the hassle on Friday night, or do you wait and do it one full transaction? Ironically, my next bill comes out on the 14th.

Once you pay the $95 you will have 14 days to upgrade.

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Once you pay the $95 you will have 14 days to upgrade.

Ok so now I am confused... Pay now and have to wait 14 days?

I think most of the X users are in the same boat. So would I pay the 95 now and smooth sailing Friday?

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
Im in the same boat along with allot of others Im sure! Im pretty sure they will just ask for the upgrade diff that we owe and go from there! May have to call ATT and see what they say

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York

I would pay the $95.00 off right now so it clears and there is no problem come pre-order night.

:apple:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Pay now. One less thing to worry about when you pre-order with countless others doing the same.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I just had to pay $143 in order to upgrade on Friday. Rather do it now then scramble then.

Bogus they aren't allowing us to upgrade early considering the timing

Chacocliff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2014
I just talked to AT&T and they said that if I paid right now, it would put my account in limbo, and I would have to upgrade now. They said I had to do it all when I upgrade on Friday.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
I also just got some conflicting information from AT&T... They told me to go to the store and pay.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I would think there would be less issues if you waited till checkout. When you check out, it will be remaining cost, plus sales tax on the new phone. For most people, about $200. At least, that's what the Apple website implies for AT&T Next.

Otherwise, I can see them AT&T it up - like the payoff didn't process fully over the next two days, or something similarly stupid.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
Pay the balance now- you will have no issues on Friday. It goes when your phone is shipped. Just like past years
I agree with this. I did it year before last as ATT started billing me one month late. Pay it off today- I am in the same boat- and it will ensure that your payment is processed tomorrow and you show ready to upgrade in Apple systems.
I always pre-order thru Apple so I like to have all taken care of on the ATT side.
Don’t know what happens if you pre-order thru ATT.

LBInjSurfer

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
NJ Pine Barrens
I second this.

Yesterday I went to the AT&T store to ask about upgrading. I'm on the Next 1 year (12 payments) plan; however, I was out of town last year for the release and got my 8+ in October so I have a small balance left. I was told that I should NOT pay it off until I am going to upgrade on release day/night.

I just talked to AT&T and they said that if I paid right now, it would put my account in limbo, and I would have to upgrade now. They said I had to do it all when I upgrade on Friday.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
I second this.

Yesterday I went to the AT&T store to ask about upgrading. I'm on the Next 1 year (12 payments) plan; however, I was out of town last year for the release and got my 8+ in October so I have a small balance left. I was told that I should NOT pay it off until I am going to upgrade on release day/night.

This is what the lady at ATT told me just a few ago on the phone!!!!

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
This is what the lady at ATT told me just a few ago on the phone!!!!
I paid mine off earlier today and all you have to agree to is send your phone back within 14 days of your phone shipping. I’ve done this before. Once your phone ships, ATT emails you a return label that you can use in store or ship phone back. If you are pre ordering thru ATT, that extra step to pay off balance may mean not getting the size/ color you want.

Just somebody who has done it before. I never trust ATT CSR’s.

Reactions: AppleDior31

Murx52

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
I paid mine off earlier today and all you have to agree to is send your phone back within 14 days of your phone shipping. I’ve done this before. Once your phone ships, ATT emails you a return label that you can use in store or ship phone back. If you are pre ordering thru ATT, that extra step to pay off balance may mean not getting the size/ color you want.

Just somebody who has done it before. I never trust ATT CSR’s.
Correct- just as last year. You can even go to other carrier threads here and see that people are paying their remaining balances as well so they can upgrade on Friday too. You can check your ATT account and it should just ask you to trade in your current phone if the payment has "processed" through ATT.

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
So I go to pay the balance online and the webpage won’t take my cc... it keeps erroring and says that it is not a valid att gift card or promotion!

white_horse

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Maryland
I was at payments 10 of 12 on both lines. Paid the two payments on both lines to be able to upgrade on Friday. Two years ago I left the payment until preorder and tried to do it at preorder time. That was a nightmare. Servers having issues, not recognizing the payment for the upgrade, etc. Last year I made sure the payments were good to go prior to upgrade day/night. Made my final payment a few days before launch and I was good to go.

Just checked my AT&T account - at least on AT&T's side it is already showing I'm good to go to upgrade. And my billing cycle doesn't end until the 18th so I'm in the clear by a few days with it trying to kick another charge through on the payment plan. The new phones will be ordered by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.