Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob198612

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I just talked to AT&T and they said that if I paid right now, it would put my account in limbo, and I would have to upgrade now. They said I had to do it all when I upgrade on Friday.

No no no no no

Pay for it now on Friday you won’t be able to servers will be all full and a pain you will probably miss out.

I paid my 95 dollars on Tuesday now my account is upgrade ready For Friday

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I'm in a unique position that if I pay it off early, my bill posts on the 14th at midnight so it will charge an extra month of installment. I'll need to get the phone back to them ASAP and pay it off or make them credit me the $46 for the month they are going to charge me. I'm going to go with pay it off early and fight for the money later just so I don't have issues ordering that night.

My bill is the 15th and it’s on autopay. It would have been $147ish to pay off if I had not paid the bill ahead of the due date. After I paid the current bill, it showed $95.70 as the pay off.
[doublepost=1536828762][/doublepost]
I paid my balance off at the beginning of this month and I am eligible for the upgrade on Att next. I did this last year and the year before and the year before that. I just paid the remaining balance of $95. Then I sell my iPhone and use the money I get from that to pay off the cost of the phone. I usually end up making around 100 bucks. My phones are in perfect mint condition with no scratches whatsoever and it’s better than giving Att back the phone. I just paid the remaining balance of $95. If I don’t send it back by the time they want it they just bill me for the cost of the phone and I pay them off and the $100 I made reduces the cost of the new iphone.
Where do you typically sell it? I did this last year with my 7 plus and made a profit of about $150. Surprisingly, I got a really good deal with GameStop.

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
We all realizing that we're now DOUBLE-PAYING for two months, right? They're going to charge us a monthly payment for the new phone also. Apple and the carriers are going to make a killing on this.

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
Just paid 143 on the app to be able to upgrade ATT next I am now eligible. Bill is due on the 25th of each month and the system deducted 47 from my bill for this month.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No no no no no

Pay for it now on Friday you won’t be able to servers will be all full and a pain you will probably miss out.

I paid my 95 dollars on Tuesday now my account is upgrade ready For Friday

Since most people will have to turn in their phones, whether you still have to pay a little or not, you will still be dealing with AT&T's servers regardless.

But based on the fact the X still could be bought the next morning for day one delivery, I doubt people will have to worry much about overtaxed servers with these even more expensive phones. Plus, you got s bunch of people eyeing the XR too and will pass on the XS.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
We all realizing that we're now DOUBLE-PAYING for two months, right? They're going to charge us a monthly payment for the new phone also. Apple and the carriers are going to make a killing on this.
The installment will stop once you upgrade and the phone ships right? Hopefully it’s not backordered. Thats the only way I can see being charged another installment.

LBInjSurfer

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
NJ Pine Barrens
I would like to add an UPDATE.

After reading the responses on this thread, I decided to go ahead and pay the $79.00 I still owe to upgrade. I did so using the AT&T app and now my device is listed as ready to upgrade. Also, It took $79.00 off my bill that is due on Saturday the 15th. I'm in New Jersey and am on a family plan with one other person.

I second this.

Yesterday I went to the AT&T store to ask about upgrading. I'm on the Next 1 year (12 payments) plan; however, I was out of town last year for the release and got my 8+ in October so I have a small balance left. I was told that I should NOT pay it off until I am going to upgrade on release day/night.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I’m eligible for upgrade on BOGO 8 pluses we bought last year. If we upgrade one phone, do we still get credit for the free phone? Also, can I upgrade at Apple store?

AquaBear

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011

Yeah, can someone clarify this? From chatting with AT&T's CSRs, it seems confirmed that in order to upgrade a launch day iPhone X to a launch day iPhone XS or Max, it'll require a $100 pay-up of the installments, and then you'll be charged immediately for the first month of the XS. I already paid enough for the X in the first place, will be better to just hold on to it until I hit 50% of the payments...

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I have always prepaid the early upgrade fee also, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary? Apple and AT&T have slowly but steadily improved their systems for handling these upgrade purchases. I'm wondering if I just preorder tonight, and select "upgrade on AT&T Next", wouldn't Apple's server get the upgrade costs from AT&T for my specific account and just tally up the bill accordingly? In other words, would not prepaying through AT&T at all slow down the preorder process?

I may take my chances that this is the case. I have an X already so I'm not as concerned with the potential that I'll miss the window and not get the Xs on launch day. Basically I'm upgrading because I'm already on an annual Next program, so why not upgrade to the better camera, CPU, and faster FaceID.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I have always prepaid the early upgrade fee also, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary? Apple and AT&T have slowly but steadily improved their systems for handling these upgrade purchases. I'm wondering if I just preorder tonight, and select "upgrade on AT&T Next", wouldn't Apple's server get the upgrade costs from AT&T for my specific account and just tally up the bill accordingly? In other words, would not prepaying through AT&T at all slow down the preorder process?

I may take my chances that this is the case. I have an X already so I'm not as concerned with the potential that I'll miss the window and not get the Xs on launch day. Basically I'm upgrading because I'm already on an annual Next program, so why not upgrade to the better camera, CPU, and faster FaceID.

I figured the only real risk you have in waiting is the extra few minutes it will take to pre-pay the balance due. That's time you could be adding the phone into the basket and getting in line sooner. With 36 variations this year, I'm not sure we're looking at immediate sell outs like we have in the past.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I figured the only real risk you have in waiting is the extra few minutes it will take to pre-pay the balance due. That's time you could be adding the phone into the basket and getting in line sooner. With 36 variations this year, I'm not sure we're looking at immediate sell outs like we have in the past.

I'm wondering whether "prepaying the balance due" is even an extra step in the purchasing process anymore, or just a line item in the final total. Does anyone know?

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm wondering whether "prepaying the balance due" is even an extra step in the purchasing process anymore, or just a line item in the final total. Does anyone know?

You have to do it in two separate transactions. The first transaction is to pre-pay the balance which will make your current line eligible for an upgrade. Once that is clear then you go and choose the phone that you want to upgrade to. If you pay off your phone early you go through the same process but just close out your browser and quit when asked to choose the model phone you want

Apple163

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
If you qualify for a "trade in" upgrade on ATT with your iPhone X can you purchase the iPhone Xs on the Apple website and still have the trade in apply? I was thinking the Apple website would be faster than ATT.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
If you qualify for a "trade in" upgrade on ATT with your iPhone X can you purchase the iPhone Xs on the Apple website and still have the trade in apply? I was thinking the Apple website would be faster than ATT.

Yes you can. Apple will do an upgrade check and you just trade it in once you get your new one. DO NOT do the Apple trade in option as it is not the same as your upgrade.

You can check what apple sees by going to this Apple site. https://buyiphone7.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/springboard

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
The installment will stop once you upgrade and the phone ships right? Hopefully it’s not backordered. Thats the only way I can see being charged another installment.

The installment stops, yes, but only because you're pre-paying the final two months installments in advance. Then you'll get hit with upgrade fee on top of that, and then you'll immediately start being charged for the new device once it's activated.

It's a racket.

Shadowlover6

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Seconded. The internets will be jammed at pre-order hour. If it goes anything like previous pre-orders your phone could be delayed weeks because the AT&T page took 30 seconds to load. Get it all out of the way tomorrow before pre-ordering goes live.
What time does it start on the east coast! I have my Apple Pay set up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.