Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
How did you pay it?
I had an issue last year with paying up early in order to upgrade. Amongst my family and myself, we preordered 5 iPhone 7 Plus and an iPhone 7 in 2016. I noticed that when the iPhone X preorder time came in 2017, one of the lines was a month behind for upgrade eligibility (coincidentally, it the first iPhone 7 Plus that we received). Since that line specifically was showing only 11 of 12 payments, it was ineligible for an upgrade at the time. For the problematic line, I attempted to pay up early through the upgrade portal online, but all it did was apply the payment towards my bill, not towards the installment. I spoke to countless ATT reps, and all they could tell me was, “sorry, you will just have to wait a month since there is no way to pay up early.” Also, no ATT rep was ever able to explain to me why this line was an entire month behind for upgrade eligibility.

As with the others on this thread that preordered with ATT Next Every Year, I owe about $95 for my line in order to be upgrade eligible. Earlier today, I attempted exactly what I did last year, but this time, it shows that the payment towards the installment plan was successful, rather than applying the payment to my bill again. So now my line is in fact upgrade eligible with trade-in.

TL;DR
Last year, unsuccessful to pay up early in order to be upgrade eligible.
This year, successful to pay up early in order to be upgrade eligible.

Also, due to the issues that I have had with ATT, I am highly considering using the Apple Upgrade Program instead for my line specifically. I got preapproved today for it. Anyone else considering doing the same?

Chacocliff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2014
I had an issue last year with paying up early in order to upgrade. Amongst my family and myself, we preordered 5 iPhone 7 Plus and an iPhone 7 in 2016. I noticed that when the iPhone X preorder time came in 2017, one of the lines was a month behind for upgrade eligibility (coincidentally, it the first iPhone 7 Plus that we received). Since that line specifically was showing only 11 of 12 payments, it was ineligible for an upgrade at the time. For the problematic line, I attempted to pay up early through the upgrade portal online, but all it did was apply the payment towards my bill, not towards the installment. I spoke to countless ATT reps, and all they could tell me was, “sorry, you will just have to wait a month since there is no way to pay up early.” Also, no ATT rep was ever able to explain to me why this line was an entire month behind for upgrade eligibility.

As with the others on this thread that preordered with ATT Next Every Year, I owe about $95 for my line in order to be upgrade eligible. Earlier today, I attempted exactly what I did last year, but this time, it shows that the payment towards the installment plan was successful, rather than applying the payment to my bill again. So now my line is in fact upgrade eligible with trade-in.

TL;DR
Last year, unsuccessful to pay up early in order to be upgrade eligible.
This year, successful to pay up early in order to be upgrade eligible.

Also, due to the issues that I have had with ATT, I am highly considering using the Apple Upgrade Program instead for my line specifically. I got preapproved today for it. Anyone else considering doing the same?
Did you pay it thru the AT&T app?

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
Did you pay it thru the AT&T app?
Last year, I used the ATT website, not the app. I even attempted it multiple times then, but each time, the payment was applied towards my bill. It was odd because it even said the payment would be applied towards my installment plan, but it never was. I asked an ATT rep about it today and he said that he did see a few payments that were applied to my bill and not the installment plan back then. Such an odd, frustrating experience...
This year, I again used the ATT website, but it was successful in posting the payment to my installment plan this time.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I always pay the balance in advance (usually like a week or so early—I paid it off this time on Monday, I believe) and have never had an issue upgrading when preorders go live. Been doing the same thing with AT&T for the last several years. :)

Reactions: Dstopsie

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I paid my balance off at the beginning of this month and I am eligible for the upgrade on Att next. I did this last year and the year before and the year before that. I just paid the remaining balance of $95. Then I sell my iPhone and use the money I get from that to pay off the cost of the phone. I usually end up making around 100 bucks. My phones are in perfect mint condition with no scratches whatsoever and it’s better than giving Att back the phone. I just paid the remaining balance of $95. If I don’t send it back by the time they want it they just bill me for the cost of the phone and I pay them off and the $100 I made reduces the cost of the new iphone.

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
Echoing those who've paid off their balance and are trade in ready. I zeroed mine out on the AT&T app and will be upgrading through Apple as I did last year (though I paid off my balance on the website then).

Reactions: Shadowlover6

Shadowlover6

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
What happens when all I have left is 36 dollars to fully pay off my phone? Can I still use my line? I want to keep my iPhone 7 but not on ATT. Do I have to start a new line? Or can I just buy the iPhone Max and the service will be cut off from my iPhone 7

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
What happens when all I have left is 36 dollars to fully pay off my phone? Can I still use my line? I want to keep my iPhone 7 but not on ATT. Do I have to start a new line? Or can I just buy the iPhone Max and the service will be cut off from my iPhone 7

$36 to be eligible for trade in or $36 to own the phone outright?

Shadowlover6

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Got it. I'm thinking if you pay the $36 now, you can upgrade on pre-order night and keep your current phone.
Oh so it just disconnects my old phone? I’ll pay it when I get up. I just need it on till I get the new iPhone. Especially if it ends up like last year and I’m waiting till like November for it to ship

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
Oh so it just disconnects my old phone? I’ll pay it when I get up. I just need it on till I get the new iPhone. Especially if it ends up like last year and I’m waiting till like November for it to ship

It'll disconnect your current device when you activate the new one.

Shadowlover6

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
It'll disconnect your current device when you activate the new one.
Also another question, what is faster? Preordering through the app with Apple Pay or through att? It’s gonna be a bit steep for me. But it’s been two years since I had a new phone and this one is losing its luster

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
Also another question, what is faster? Preordering through the app with Apple Pay or through att? It’s gonna be a bit steep for me. But it’s been two years since I had a new phone and this one is losing its luster
In my experience the Apple Store app has been the fastest bet.

Shadowlover6

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
In my experience the Apple Store app has been the fastest bet.
Even though I have att it won’t matter there right? I wanted to put a down payment but I don’t think that’s an option. All I pay is the tax which is fine. I just gotta pay the 36 dollars by the end of the day. Thanks I didn’t think it would be so simple

Reactions: Curly Lu

Curly Lu

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Bay Area
Even though I have att it won’t matter there right? I wanted to put a down payment but I don’t think that’s an option. All I pay is the tax which is fine. I just gotta pay the 36 dollars by the end of the day. Thanks I didn’t think it would be so simple
No problem! Happy pre-ordering.

Reactions: Shadowlover6

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Pay now. One less thing to worry about when you pre-order with countless others doing the same.
Seconded. The internets will be jammed at pre-order hour. If it goes anything like previous pre-orders your phone could be delayed weeks because the AT&T page took 30 seconds to load. Get it all out of the way tomorrow before pre-ordering goes live.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm in a unique position that if I pay it off early, my bill posts on the 14th at midnight so it will charge an extra month of installment. I'll need to get the phone back to them ASAP and pay it off or make them credit me the $46 for the month they are going to charge me. I'm going to go with pay it off early and fight for the money later just so I don't have issues ordering that night.

Reactions: KingBowser64

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Oh no I just paid my balance off today. I hope I am able to upgrade Friday. I will be very upset if I am not able to.
Paying off the balance is the best option as it clears your line for a total upgrade with no trade. Paying the amount required to upgrade early is where it seems ATT is unsure according to some posters who have talked to them first hand.

I have two phone lines, and I keep one line open to upgrade every year.
[doublepost=1536819606][/doublepost]
Correct- just as last year. You can even go to other carrier threads here and see that people are paying their remaining balances as well so they can upgrade on Friday too. You can check your ATT account and it should just ask you to trade in your current phone if the payment has "processed" through ATT.
Can everyone clarify when they say, "Paid mine off"?

I think some people are thinking you may have paid the full balance of the phone versus the required early upgrade amount.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Is it better to pay off the phone and sell via Craigslist/FB Marketplace or pay off the $83.29 to be trade-in ready and give the phone back to AT&T?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Is it better to pay off the phone and sell via Craigslist/FB Marketplace or pay off the $83.29 to be trade-in ready and give the phone back to AT&T?
I actually did pay to upgrade early one year and then ordered a new phone with the intent of sending my old phone into ATT. Well, I totally forgot to send the phone in and they just ended up billing me for the remaining balance that I owed to pay it off a couple of months later. So I then just ended up selling the phone to a friend.

Being less than 24 hours to preorder I would make a decision very soon.

Reactions: KingBowser64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.