Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Came here to add that I rented Lego Batman through iTunes and was disappointed in the PQ. I already have a ~35 Mbps BR rip of the movie that I compared with through Plex and rented it to test out my new ATV4K. I thought a very recent computer animated movie would greatly benefit with a 4K viewing but the BR version was equal to or better than the iTunes 4K version, which appeared soft.

This is with Quick Start on, 100 Mbps FIOS connection with the ATV wired to a gigabit router. And I watched the entire movie straight through so it wasn't a case of me comparing when the stream didn't have a chance to change to 4K.

One could argue that a streaming service can't compete with a full bitrate BluRay, but then I'd ask what's the point of upgrading to a 4K streaming box if an upscaled 1080p image is just as good?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
BTW I just noticed, that the AndroidTV native Plex app is able to correctly play 4K HDR10 movie from my hard disk and properly switches the television set to HDR mode and back again. Kudos!

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
BTW I just noticed, that the AndroidTV native Plex app is able to correctly play 4K HDR10 movie from my hard disk and properly switches the television set to HDR mode and back again. Kudos!

Every device I’ve ever come across can correctly output SDR and HDR apart from the Apple TV. My ultra hd Blu Ray player does it, the Xbox one s does it, the Nvidia Shield does it and the cheap kodi box I was using over the weekend does it. As for my tv’s apps... plex does it, Netflix does it, amazon prime does it and so does the BBC iPlayer app. The Apple TV is the only device I’ve ever come across which can’t manage something so simple.

Reactions: KBJ55

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
For most users it's probably a given that they are using their new ATV 4Ks with the default settings on their 4K/HDR TVs. If you are lucky enough to own one of the tested and reviewed TVs at rtings.com it's well worth the effort to tune your 4K/HDR TV based on the suggested tweaks offered by rtings.com. At the very least it's a good starting point. In my case I made the suggested adjustments and must say I am very, very happy with the resulting video.

Last edited:

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I have the 2016 8000 series and i am completely disappointed compared to other sets, in it's ability to display a high quality 4K picture.

I swear my 8500 series delivers a better picture.

Does it have only one HDR capable port? Did you try other ports on your TV set?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
I don't think having a "properly tuned" TV has anything to do with the horrible quality of the ATV Streams. I can watch the same content on a 4K UHD Player, a Vudu Stream and the iTunes stream and the iTunes stream is just wretched. It's barely 1080p that alone 4k. That has little to do with how you calibrate colors. Well I won't say little to do, but my TV IS tuned to how I want it to look and like I said the ATV is doing a horrible job with the stream. I'm hoping to take it back tomorrow before the return policy is up.

You still haven't told us what films you are having issues with.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Everything I looked at John Wick, Wonder Woman, Arrival, Deadpool, etc... It's not a film specific issue.

It's odd then as they look great to me. At least blu-ray quality here. Analysing the streams, Apple are encoding their films with a higher bit-rate than Netflix too, so they are not scrimping with compression.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Everything I looked at John Wick, Wonder Woman, Arrival, Deadpool, etc... It's not a film specific issue.

I have watched those films you mention with my atv4k and they all stream @ 4K DV and it looked incredible with my OLED65C7 setup as DV 60Hz, the only exception was transformer 5 listed as 4K DV but it's streaming SDR 1080p.

freethinker_78

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
The intro to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes looks freaking awesome on my ATV 4K. So does Wonder Woman. I have no issues with 4K SDR (I don't have an HDR compatible TV).

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
I have watched those films you mention with my atv4k and they all stream @ 4K DV and it looked incredible with my OLED65C7 setup as DV 60Hz, the only exception was transformer 5 listed as 4K DV but it's streaming SDR 1080p.

that's the same set up I have.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
update Apple finally fix it, Transformer the last knight is streaming now @ 4k Dolby Vision.

canteenboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
Came here to add that I rented Lego Batman through iTunes and was disappointed in the PQ. I already have a ~35 Mbps BR rip of the movie that I compared with through Plex and rented it to test out my new ATV4K. I thought a very recent computer animated movie would greatly benefit with a 4K viewing but the BR version was equal to or better than the iTunes 4K version, which appeared soft.

This is with Quick Start on, 100 Mbps FIOS connection with the ATV wired to a gigabit router. And I watched the entire movie straight through so it wasn't a case of me comparing when the stream didn't have a chance to change to 4K.

One could argue that a streaming service can't compete with a full bitrate BluRay, but then I'd ask what's the point of upgrading to a 4K streaming box if an upscaled 1080p image is just as good?

The point is to not have to get up and put a disc in a player. Some people prefer just being able to pick up their remote and play a movie. Stick to disc if you want full HD audio and sharper picture. Go to 4K streaming if you want good picture quality and a whole library that doesn't take up shelf space.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yes the 2016 8000 series= 65" seemed to have the luck of the draw when it came to the vendor, banding, light bleed and so on. The 60" has light bleed like a stuck pig.

Next year will be a good year to purchase a new set. Have been a samsung fan but I will be open to an alternative.
[doublepost=1506612722][/doublepost]

Samsung opened the door for me to look at other brands with JS series.

I prefer my HU set over the newer JS.

April 2018 will be telling.
I will have to pay visit to Avs forum for the gouge.
It’s painful over there. Too many egos and fanboys.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
that's the same set up I have.
sounds like maybe it's how your TV is calibrated? Perhaps the folks with the same tv and not reporting issues could post their settings for you to try.
My TV looked good when I got it. After getting it calibrated it looks significantly better.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Go to Settings/Apps/TV and Video and turn OFF Fast Start. What this will do is download the full 4K Stream. If you are on a fast connection like I am it will take an extra minute or two to buffer your stream but it will give you the highest quality available. Wow the 4K on Transformers and Power Rangers and John Wick looked glorious.

If Fast Start is turned on, it claims to play the best quality available for your stream, but it really doesn't. My broadband is usually a fairly stable 120 MBPS and it still delivers lower quality bit rate stream. But if Fast Start is turned off it will deliver the highest quality available - no matter what it detects your internet speed is. So you just may have to wait a few minutes for it to activate

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Go to Settings/Apps/TV and Video and turn OFF Fast Start. What this will do is download the full 4K Stream. If you are on a fast connection like I am it will take an extra minute or two to buffer your stream but it will give you the highest quality available. Wow the 4K on Transformers and Power Rangers and John Wick looked glorious.

If Fast Start is turned on, it claims to play the best quality available for your stream, but it really doesn't. My broadband is usually a fairly stable 120 MBPS and it still delivers lower quality bit rate stream. But if Fast Start is turned off it will deliver the highest quality available - no matter what it detects your internet speed is. So you just may have to wait a few minutes for it to activate

Just for clarification is Settings > Apps > iTunes Movies and TV Shows.

I just rewatched a bit of Ghost in the Shell. I think I was getting their best resolution on the first play through. It looks good....for streaming.

It can't compare to a full fledge 4k HDR video though (for obvious bandwidth limitation reasons).

http://4kmedia.org/samsung-travel-with-my-pet-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Play that directly to an HDR TV (across a network, thumb drive, NAS, etc). 1gb for 2 minutes 30 seconds is around 6-7 megabytes per second average (48-56 megabits per second).

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015

Are you sure? Every other post I’ve read on fast start suggests there’s a bug currently which results in only the HD version being played.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Are you sure? Every other post I’ve read on fast start suggests there’s a bug currently which results in only the HD version being played.

Maybe the results are different for folks. For me it worked perfectly once I turned it OFF.

Last edited:

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
This is a good article explaining what apple is doing with HDR, using it as a container for HDR/DV and SDR content. Assuming authors are correct, apple is still tweaking its tone mapping algos and perhaps it can better address SDR content via its HDR mode.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1507035457

FWIW, I have an LGOLED65B7 and using DV mode on my ATV. My iTunes, Netflix 4K content in DV or HDR10 looks phenomenal. Granted I have a Gig connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.