Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Can’t really see how it would be different for you. Have you verified that the stream you are getting is 4k?

It is. I can see the difference. It makes perfect sense, really. While Fast Start SELECTS the best quality, I think it's doing it based on your Internet Speed and at the very least it doesn't properly buffer the content first which leads to a lower grade quality, while turning that option OFF automatically buffers the best quality AVAILABLE until it's ready to play. So turning it off is almost like "Downloading" the content. It's not truly DL but it is placing a minute or two in a buffer before it starts which makes for a cleaner image.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
It is. I can see the difference. It makes perfect sense, really. While Fast Start SELECTS the best quality, I think it's doing it based on your Internet Speed and at the very least it doesn't properly buffer the content first which leads to a lower grade quality, while turning that option OFF automatically buffers the best quality AVAILABLE until it's ready to play. So turning it off is almost like "Downloading" the content. It's not truly DL but it is placing a minute or two in a buffer before it starts which makes for a cleaner image.

Can you try playing something with Quick Start OFF and then swipe down to see the movie info? As previous replies have stated, many are experiencing "regular" HD playback with this setting off, not 4K. In the movie info area, you should see whether it's displaying HD or 4K.

Reactions: andrewstirling

Detox99

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Setup my AppleTV 4K last night to a Samsung 8000 series (Samsung Frame TV) 4k HDR TV. Best I can get is 4K HDR @ 30hz is this a cable related issue or settings on the TV. Any help on what to change look for would be greatly appreciated.

The AppleTV is connected to a new Marantz NR1607 receiver with a new high speed cable. The output of the receiver is connected to the TV with what I think is a high speed cable (run through the wall, but was installed over a year ago).

Many thanks.

Zooie123

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Virginia Beach
Yesterday Goodfellas was in 4k in my library. Today it is renamed Goodfellas(REMASTERED) at HD. There is now another version for 9.99 at 4k called Goodfellas! What is this bait and switch? Change names and kill our 4k? I have several that were 4k and now HD such as Baby Driver and Jason Bourne.

FrankThe Tank

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My appletv is outputting 4K per my HUd attached.
IMG_1709.jpg

PS. I didn’t change my fast start settings. When I did change, it actually only output in 1080

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Yesterday Goodfellas was in 4k in my library. Today it is renamed Goodfellas(REMASTERED) at HD. There is now another version for 9.99 at 4k called Goodfellas! What is this bait and switch? Change names and kill our 4k? I have several that were 4k and now HD such as Baby Driver and Jason Bourne.

I've come to the conclusion, certainly after my experience is that iTunes is great for renting a film (although the price increase to £5.49 in the UK for new films is too high) and then if you love it and want to own it, buy it on a disc. The same with TV box sets.

Reactions: seanrt

Zooie123

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Virginia Beach
I feel like I am losing my mind with this. Now several movies are now showing 4k but when played and a swipe down only show HD where yesterday they were 4k such as Jupiter Ascending, Alien Covenant, etc.....

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I watched ex machina on my atv 4K hdr 60hz. I have the lg65cp7 looks ok but I don’t feel it’s true 4K. Looks nothing like the quality of 4K YouTube videos. I’m using monoproce cables etc.

seanrt

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2015
USA
I've come to the conclusion, certainly after my experience is that iTunes is great for renting a film (although the price increase to £5.49 in the UK for new films is too high) and then if you love it and want to own it, buy it on a disc. The same with TV box sets.
I second this. I was all in on digital until the curtain was pulled back on this 4K shenanigans

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I watched ex machina on my atv 4K hdr 60hz. I have the lg65cp7 looks ok but I don’t feel it’s true 4K. Looks nothing like the quality of 4K YouTube videos. I’m using monoproce cables etc.

That's because 98% percent of 4K movies are fake 4K.

They are shoot on film, a 2K scan is made of the negative and then it's upscaled to 4K. Alternatively the movie is shoot in 2K and upscaled to 4K. Meanwhile demo videos on autoplay in consumer electronic stores or 4K vidoes on YouTube are shoot natively in 4k, hence why they look so good.

This is the single reason why I haven't bought a 4K Bluray player yet. Why buy one at a high price now when the movies just look a bit better than Blurays. I will just wait until Movie studios start shooting on 4K, and by then 4K Bluray players or the Xbox One X will be at least half the cost they are not.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
This is the single reason why I haven't bought a 4K Bluray player yet. Why buy one at a high price now when the movies just look a bit better than Blurays. I will just wait until Movie studios start shooting on 4K, and by then 4K Bluray players or the Xbox One X will be at least half the cost they are not.
They may look only a bit better on the resolution front. They look immensely better on HDR front. Add to that full (lossless) immersive audio and the 4K bluray still gives you movie enjoyment far beyond any streaming service is able to.
UHD Bluray players are not that expensive either.
By now, real-or-fake 4K gauge is already 60/40 in favor of real 4K productions, so 98% being fake is an overstatement.
http://4kblurays.com/

Reactions: archer75

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
What about trying to move it to HDMI 1? Some inputs aren’t the full 2.0a or higher... some are 1.4, which will pass 4K but often limits it down to 30 FPS and gimps up the HDR (if it’s even an offering, only saying that because I believe some manufacturers tried to update them over firmware). The direct streaming apps on the sets circumvent any HDMI Input limitations whereas the Apple TV will be forced to work with what’s available to it.

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
They may look only a bit better on the resolution front. They look immensely better on HDR front. Add to that full (lossless) immersive audio and the 4K bluray still gives you movie enjoyment far beyond any streaming service is able to.
UHD Bluray players are not that expensive either.
By now, real-or-fake 4K gauge is already 60/40 in favor of real 4K productions, so 98% being fake is an overstatement.
http://4kblurays.com/
I agree, HDR is the game changer. On a good TV with a good upscaler blurays look like 4k releases. HDR is where it's at.
Another resource: http://realorfake4k.com/

Reactions: dman67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.