Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timonz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
Mine toggles low power mode on and vibrates when battery drops below 40%, and another automation turns low power mode off when battery charges past 50%.

Reactions: geta and MrGimper

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Shortcuts is really good... and nice having these articles on Macrumors.

But I wish Apple would just put an option in iPhone, and other devices, to keep low power mode on for those who need to, or like to use it. It can make a big difference depending on how you use your devices.

And it would be even better if they introduced an emergency low power mode on iPhone that basically turns it into a dumb phone for calls and texts and GPS in an emergency... that extra battery life could be life saving in certain situations.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
How do you get it to turn AOD off
In Shortcuts, create an automation. Trigger on "battery level" and specifically when the battery falls below your preferred %. Then for what you want it to run, search for "set always on display", choose it, and select to turn off.

To reenable it, do another automation but for when the battery rises above your chosen %, selecting to turn on the AOD

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Anyone else keep their phone on low power mode all the time? I consistently get 3 days out of a full charge to my iPhone 12’s battery between that and keeping Bluetooth turned off.
I find it makes quite a difference on my iPhone mini 13… it makes decent battery life for such a small phone even better.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
So this has already been happening with my SO phone, and I can never FIND where to TURN IT OFF!!!… but it’s been going on since ios 16, now ios 17… maybe its in this place since then.? One would think that apple would have some indication that there is some other overriding process somewhere doing this?

Tr55

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
what we really need is the ability to write a script to stop charging at a certain level.

It seems Apple is intent on ensuring everyone charges their phones constantly to 100%.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Same. In fact I do this exact thing except I do it on the charger connected/disconnected event so I never actually need to do it.
That's probably the better way of doing it. I just have a shortcut for "when LPM is off" to turn it on so that it literally can't be disabled without first disabling the shortcut haha.
Hmm, but you lose a lot of fluidity. Not sure [which] phone you use, but with a pro model and its 120Hz screen, it’s kinda wasted to use low power mode the whole time.
I use a 13 mini, but even if I didn't use that or LPM, I would still disable the high refresh rate. It would be nothing more than a waste of resources for me. 60Hz is plenty smooth for my tastes and it seems to be just as consistent in this regard when using LPM.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
So this has already been happening with my SO phone, and I can never FIND where to TURN IT OFF!!!… but it’s been going on since ios 16, now ios 17… maybe its in this place since then.? One would think that apple would have some indication that there is some other overriding process somewhere doing this?

You can add it to control center to make it super easy to locate.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
You can add it to control center to make it super easy to locate.
Yes, it’s in Control Center… but no it’s not in Automation… i wonder why it triggers automatically when nothing is setup to activate it.. anyone know where ELSE this setting is activated?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Of course having a bunch of automation scripts running behind the scenes causes the battery to reach the threshold faster than not running the script at all o_O

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Anyone else keep their phone on low power mode all the time? I consistently get 3 days out of a full charge to my iPhone 12’s battery between that and keeping Bluetooth turned off.

I'm using an iPhone SE so low power mode is kinda necessary. iOS automatically disables low power mode when battery charge reaches 80%. I'm too lazy to enable it manually so I just have a shortcut that enables low power mode when battery falls below 80%.

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
I honestly live on low power mode for the quicker screen darkness etc. I'll wake up in the Am and turn on low power mode and then be forced to turn it back on when I charge my phone. Goal being not to have to charge my phone as often.. I have an iPhone 13 Pro and almost have it paid off from the scam AT&T pulled that I didn't read the fine print but honestly would like to hold onto for another year unless apple comes out with something earth shattering besides another ten cameras..

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I've done this for a while now but it doesn't turn on automatically as it still asks for confirmation.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Same. In fact I do this exact thing except I do it on the charger connected/disconnected event so I never actually need to do it.
I'd love to do that, but when I create an automation for the disconnect event, set low power mode isn't an option and doesn't show up if I search for it.

However, the hint about setting low power mode when the battery runs down works perfectly. Guess I'll have to stick with that or doing it manually like I normally do.

I'm running 17.4.1 on an SE (2020).

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Of course having a bunch of automation scripts running behind the scenes causes the battery to reach the threshold faster than not running the script at all o_O
Not really, event-drive programming has been around for years. It's the difference between something constantly running and checking for a certain value, rather that the OS pinging out that something happened and all programs that were interested waking up and taking action.

Reactions: JosephAW

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
i like how they replaced a toggle that turned on low power mode with….the shortcuts app

truly brain dead

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Turn off the ‘ confirm before running’ option.
It still pops up, the problem is if you select falls below 20%, it pops up on 20% before it's fallen below 20%.

I believe when I tested it before, I selected 25% to see if that would fix it, but I'm pretty sure it still popped up on 20% when it was on but I'd have to try it again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.