Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I would still buy a cellular watch all the same from now on, knowing that even if it doesn’t have a plan it can still make an emergency call. I’m almost 50, there’s value there.
Same here, although I‘m a bit younger (mid 40ish) and don’t have a cellular plan on my AW because I simply don’t need one. It can be a life saver, even if no one ever wants to be in a situation where this is needed.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
But a Garmin isn't a good second screen for iOS users, whereas an Ultra is. There's nothing wrong with Garmin watches, they're great for serious athletes, but if what a person wants is a better Apple Watch, they're objectively the wrong choice.

Not really though. You get the right tool for the right job. The apple watches are great do-it-all devices and even the SE2 is plenty enough. but when I say "want more", I mean people who want more out of their sporting activities and a Garmin or something like a Polar heart rate sensor placed near a vital point is a better tool for the job, even at the expense of being a second screen for iOS users. You don't lose full compatibility, you still get some basic stuff like notifications. Yes there's a little bit of give and take, most athletes with iPhone+Garmin(or other fitness tracker) combinations out there usually just make do with the trade-off and get whatever specialized tracking tool that they use.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Not really though. You get the right tool for the right job. The apple watches are great do-it-all devices and even the SE2 is plenty enough. but when I say "want more", I mean people who want more out of their sporting activities and a Garmin or something like a Polar heart rate sensor placed near a vital point is a better tool for the job, even at the expense of being a second screen for iOS users. You don't lose full compatibility, you still get some basic stuff like notifications. Yes there's a little bit of give and take, most athletes with iPhone+Garmin(or other fitness tracker) combinations out there usually just make do with the trade-off and get whatever specialized tracking tool that they use.
Sure, I agree that people should get the right tool for the right job, but you're acting like the only job for a smartwatch is tracking ultra-marathons. There are other things people use their watches for alongside activity tracking where an Apple Watch Ultra strikes a much better balance than a Garmin device. And there are things that the Ultra is better at than the SE (battery life is an obvious one).

Last edited:
Reactions: bricktop_at

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Smartphones are parasites that feed on your attention. Even when it is in your pocket, there is some part of your brain thinking about the phone being in your pocket.

Throughout our day we constantly handle them one way or another. In the morning, in bed, right after waking up, as part of the morning routine, in the car where we plug or unplug CarPlay. At work, shopping, at night back in bed, again. Everywhere, all the time. We are either staring at it, moving it around, or holding it. It’s constantly in our minds.

I use my watch to be rid of my phone. It allows me to remain available for important calls/texts without having to carry a phone. The feeling is liberating.

I now leave the house without a phone, and feel present, and free again - you can’t do that with your phone.

I recommend that everyone with an Apple Watch try leaving their phone at home for a couple weeks to see if they feel the difference.
No CarPlay ruins that idea

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
****, I guess I have to cancel my half iron man race this year then because I don’t have a Garmin Watch.

On the next group ride, I will tell everybody to stop using their bike computers and power meters and use a Garmin Watch for cycling also.
You and I know they’re either using garmin edge or wahoo bike computers with their garmin watches.

They’ll be fine my friend.

Oh which half Ironman are you doing?

I wish you the best. What’s your expected finishing time? Hopefully the battery of your awu will make it.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
No I am not an endurance athlete I am a 65 year old male with a heart issue and I have a AWU and the primary reason is to monitor said heart. I have lost weight went to a healthy lifestyle and walk 3-5 miles a day with the watch. I know that the watch is silently monitoring but also by using it functions I feel safer. I know not medically approved but still a great of way to monitor before needing a doctor and the info can be readily accessible to my doctor.
Perfect use case.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
But a Garmin isn't a good second screen for iOS users, whereas an Ultra is. There's nothing wrong with Garmin watches, they're great for serious athletes, but if what a person wants is a better Apple Watch, they're objectively the wrong choice.
10000%

Garmin is hot garbage of a smart watch.

This is why I recommend wearing two watches; Garmin and Apple. One on each hand. This only applies to athletes who care about metrics.

Alternatively just use the garmin on workouts only.

I just find the daily metrics more useful on the Garmin than Apple.

Seems to me Apple doesn’t know what to do with all of the data but Garmin will tell you how you are recovering, sleeping, etc.

Again most of you guys probably won’t care about cadence, power, temp, but I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008

Seems to me Apple doesn’t know what to do with all of the data but Garmin will tell you how you are recovering, sleeping, etc.

This is very true, and I don’t understand it.
It just seems like a lack of first party effort by Apple

They’ve outsourced a bit too much of core functionality/data to third party apps imo

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Same here, although I‘m a bit younger (mid 40ish) and don’t have a cellular plan on my AW because I simply don’t need one. It can be a life saver, even if no one ever wants to be in a situation where this is needed.
I’ve got an S9 cellular with a plan. I’m 63, on dialysis and when hiking in the middle of nowhere near my house I need comms and am always forgetting my phone. My watch, on the other hand, is tethered to me. 3 weeks ago I left my phone on the medical transport van when coming home from dialysis. I was anle to find/track where my phone was using my MBA, but I had my AW and would have been able to use it in case of a medical emergency.

I had such an emergency in April, 2023 the day I had received my Haemodialysis implant after stopping Peritoneal dialysis; the implant site was not completely stitched, which I/medical team did not know at the time and I not find out until waking up in the moddle of the night to go to the bathroom. I have an nsfw photo I took of my shirt I had worn to bed. The entire right side was soaked with blood, bedsheets, mattress cover. Was able to call an ambulance, go to the gospital and get it fixed right up w/dissolving sutures. Lost ~ 0.5l blood

Was also able to get a 1yr sedative prescription based on my demonstrated sleep patterns being totally broken up/fragmented and the dialysis staff are very interested in seeing my weekly O2 stats.

But hey, that’s just me and my watch uses 🇨🇦👍

Tom

(Can I make a nsfw image insertion on Macrumors?)

Reactions: BillGates1969

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I got my first Apple Watch with the series 2 and within a year started having heart issues that it helped diagnose which was nice. now I have a series 9 and use the ecg all the time. Best feature for someone Without Heart issues though is definitely silent notificstions. That being said I sure wouldn’t buy a high end one like the ultra two just silent wrist pulse notifications

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Smartphones are parasites that feed on your attention. Even when it is in your pocket, there is some part of your brain thinking about the phone being in your pocket..

I recommend that everyone with an Apple Watch try leaving their phone at home for a couple weeks to see if they feel the difference.
I don’t work; I’m on medical retirement. My phone is a literal lifeline. At home it’s usually within a few feet of me. Trsporting to/from dialysis it’s in my pocket. At dialysis it’s sitting on my reticulating table along with my coffee, airpods and iPad Pro. When I go hiking - it comes with me; again, lifeline. Feel free to leave home without your iPhone.

regards

Tom

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
10000%

Garmin is hot garbage of a smart watch.

This is why I recommend wearing two watches; Garmin and Apple. One on each hand. This only applies to athletes who care about metrics.

Alternatively just use the garmin on workouts only.

Again most of you guys probably won’t care about cadence, power, temp, but I do.

Garmin isn't a good smartwatch, but smartwatch features are a distant second to me over health metrics. I'm a pretty heavy trail runner/marathoner and summer bike rider, so Garmin is leaps and bounds ahead of the Apple Watch.
My buddy does what you suggested; he wears a Fenix on one arm, and an Ultra on the other. I have no intention of every wearing two watches, so since I don't use 90% of the smartwatch features of the Apple Watch (I only use it for notifications and to look at weather), I'm probably moving to a Garmin 265 for my next watch.

I also really, really wish that the Apple Watch could link with a bicycle computer, and then disable the on-board GPS to save battery. They (Apple Watch) won't last through a century ride.

Martin Bland

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2014
I don’t work; I’m on medical retirement. My phone is a literal lifeline. At home it’s usually within a few feet of me. Trsporting to/from dialysis it’s in my pocket. At dialysis it’s sitting on my reticulating table along with my coffee, airpods and iPad Pro. When I go hiking - it comes with me; again, lifeline. Feel free to leave home without your iPhone.

regards

Tom
You don't really explain why a phone is more of a lifeline than an Apple Watch with cellular on your wrist.

Generally, of course, there are some exceptions. But they are exceptions and not the rule. Most people don't need their phones on them as much as they have them. The world wasn't so bad before mobile phones. I think it was better in some important ways.

Last edited:

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
You don't really explain why a phone is more of a lifeline than an Apple Watch with cellular on your wrist.

Generally, of course, there are some exceptions. But they are exceptions and not the rule. Most people don't need their phones on them as much as they have them. The world wasn't so bad before mobile phones. I think it was better in some important ways.
I don’t have to explain, do I? But…I’m older, my eyes are not what they used to be. It is far easier for me to read data from the larger screen of a phone and report that accurately than reading from a watch. I’d also much prefer handing over my phone to the nursing staff @ dialysis to look at some particular aspect/trend than to shove my watch in their face, have them squint and say they can’t read it.

And I get it; maybe your quality of life before (or without) your phone as constant companion is/was better. Mine is better with.

Ok, here’s a photo of my hoodie after taking it off after a major bleed. My watch does not have a camera yet (and I didn’t have a watch at the time). Don’t click if squeamish.

No flashlight on my watch. I like to read my ‘Just Press Record’ transcriptions on my phone while still in dialysis before I allow them to be sent to my MBA @home. And so on. My watch is the VP to my Presidential phone if you will; it is secondary. No one is forcing you to carry your phone so there isn’t a reason to assume that others will have the same degree of quality of life increase w/o one.

My phone is current resting under one of my cats and that’s close enough for me 😀
peace

Tom

edit: battery life is much longer on my iPhone

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    905.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: jz0309

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I leave my house 3x a week for dialysis; Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Pickup is at 6:50am, and usually back home between 12:00-1:30pm. I’m stuck in that boring chair for 3:30 to 3:50 hours depending on hookup time. Operating the fully reticulating chair is always amusing….for a few minutes and my phone gets used for;

1) Stockfish chess engine/gui
2) Plex client so I can watch videos from my media server at home. I do have the Plex client on my IPP as well simce if I’m playing chess it really occupies my phone, which can get sluggish b/c I allow Stockfish to use as much time CPU power as it wants
3) Dialysis is when I usually do my donations using Paypal

Once a month, after dialysis I do a large grocery shopping and use a Goodnotes shopping list generated on my IPP > iCloud > Phone and erase items as I add them to my cart. I used to leave the IPP propped up in the kiddie seat are of the shopping cart, but too frequently wander away from said cart in search of 1 item leaving theft-bait just sitting there. My phone is with me and I use a non active stylus to take care of erasing.

I went without a phone from Sept, 2012 when I smashed my 3gs iPhone against a wall at work after receiving far too many tech support requests after hours during my grocery shopping, Christmas dinner, while on holidays in the US (from a grad student and also from my boss recalling me from signed off holidays and getting called in to troubleshoot a gas chromatograph.

But I’m medically retired now and can actually use a phone for what I want.

Tom

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Fitness isn’t just about “knowing what to do”.
It’s about metrics. And the Apple Watch gives you those in a readily digestible format, over time. I use mine to track ski runs and surf sessions where I can see how was perfuming relative to terrain and time. Actionable? Maybe. Interesting and fun? Heck yeah.

But to really appreciate the AW, you have to dispense with your phone habits. I use my Watch with offline maps on multi week backcountry trips, and in cities when I don’t want to carry a phone.

I listen to music and podcasts, straight from the watch. I no longer carry a wallet or phone for most day-to-day excursions. Simply not necessary. The watch is a great way to get away from being a phone zombie.

Reactions: Tdude96

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Garmin isn't a good smartwatch, but smartwatch features are a distant second to me over health metrics. I'm a pretty heavy trail runner/marathoner and summer bike rider, so Garmin is leaps and bounds ahead of the Apple Watch.
My buddy does what you suggested; he wears a Fenix on one arm, and an Ultra on the other. I have no intention of every wearing two watches, so since I don't use 90% of the smartwatch features of the Apple Watch (I only use it for notifications and to look at weather), I'm probably moving to a Garmin 265 for my next watch.

I also really, really wish that the Apple Watch could link with a bicycle computer, and then disable the on-board GPS to save battery. They (Apple Watch) won't last through a century ride.
I have done a # of 100+ mile rides (and longer activities entirely) with my AWU with no battery issue at all. Many people have used them to complete full distance Ironman's as well, with finish times 15 hours+.

A non-ultra AW may not survive a century, I don't know, but the ultra absolutely will & you don't even need low power mode for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.