Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
For riding on the bike, I see no value of a watch really as I got a dedicated bike computer, which is superior to any watch.

I prefer the AW2 for this use case as I can leave my iPhone at home and still can call for help if something happens on the road.

Now I will buy the Garmin Fenix 8 when ever it comes out, but it is mainly for non-bike related stuff.

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Fitness isn’t just about “knowing what to do”.
It’s about metrics. And the Apple Watch gives you those in a readily digestible format, over time. I use mine to track ski runs and surf sessions where I can see how was perfuming relative to terrain and time. Actionable? Maybe. Interesting and fun? Heck yeah.

But to really appreciate the AW, you have to dispense with your phone habits. I use my Watch with offline maps on multi week backcountry trips, and in cities when I don’t want to carry a phone.

I listen to music and podcasts, straight from the watch. I no longer carry a wallet or phone for most day-to-day excursions. Simply not necessary. The watch is a great way to get away from being a phone zombie.
Can you do these things without having an eSim in your watch?

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Can you do these things without having an eSim in your watch?
Yes to:
- It’s about metrics. And the Apple Watch gives you those
- track ski runs and surf sessions where I can see how was perfuming relative to terrain and time
- offline maps on multi week backcountry trips
- listen to music and podcasts, straight from the watch

But of course without an eSim you are not connected for cellular so you cannot download new data while not near your phone / on a known wifi.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
For riding on the bike, I see no value of a watch really as I got a dedicated bike computer, which is superior to any watch.

See i'm the other way here, I've just sold my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v2 as i wasn't using it so much.

I ride 14 miles to work and 14 miles back daily and i prefer the watch data with heart rate as i dont get that with the Wahoo, never got the chest sensor. Only thing i will miss is the routes that i've made on Strava that were on it and the take me home feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.