Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
When I do a restart of my 2020 iMac, SSD, macOS 13.1 I get an alert that slides out revealing this:
Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 09.57.03.jpg

I went hunting online and found that Corsair Memory are the developers of the free Memtest application which I probably ran at some time in the past to check my RAM.

I no longer have the Application and when I do a thorough search of my iMac for the word “corsair” using Find Any File, it finds absolutely nothing.

I went into System Settings and turned off Corsair but I would love to be able to find it on my Hard Drive and eliminate it once and for all.

I did another search, using Find Any File/Startup Disk for [Name] [Contains] “corsair" and then repeated it again for “memtest”, and FaF found nothing.

Where could this “background Items Added” possibly be???

For the record in Login Items in Ventura I have:
• Calendar.app
• CloudClip Manager.app
• Cookie.app
• Itsycal.app

Corsair Memory, Inc., does show in Login Items > Allow in the Background but it is turned to Off.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
@bogdanw - Thanks. I went to all of those folders you suggested and found only items which I recognized, none of which had anything to do with Corsair. As if to mock me as I did so, the [Background Items Added] notification appeared on my desktop!
Damn, but this is annoying!!!

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I had KnockKnock installed but totally forgot I did so and so ran it. Still cannot find anything either relating to Corsair; here is everything KnockKnock finds.

LAUNCH ITEMS first then LOGIN ITEMS
Launch Items.jpg

Attachments

• Login Items.jpg
    Login Items.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 96

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
did you search (with find any file) for 'memtest'? & perhaps check notifications (in system settings), see if there's anything there to turn off. just some ideas...

Reactions: Speed38

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
@fisherking. I did indeed use FaF to check for 'memtesti "I did another search, using Find Any File/Startup Disk for [Name] [Contains] “corsair" and then repeated it again for “memtest”, and FaF found nothing."

Never thought to check [Notifications] - just did so and nothing there out of the ordinary/connected with memtest or corsair.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you mentioned you went into system settings>general>login items and turned off 'corsair'... it's not also in the 'open at login' window there? or is there anything there you don't recognize?

what about searching for 'icue'? another corsair app (since you can't find 'memtest')....

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Can you install Memtest again? You could then uninstall it with AppCleaner https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
Where can we get Memtest? :)
This is a review of memtest + a download link.
Good idea and I will do as you suggested.

Reactions: fisherking

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
In the above, is the other way of writing that ~/bin/memtest?

When I go to Go > Go To Folder and past in /usr/bin/memtest I get nothing
Ditto for when I do the same thing and search for ~/bin/memtest
I just realized that the location is read-only in Ventura, on the system volume. Only if you upgraded from Mojave to Ventura could, by some freak accident, be still there.
Check in the folder /usr/local/bin/

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
BTW - downloded Memtest again but could not install it because they do not have a version that works with Ventura.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
some ideas here (go to "manual option 2")
Thanks to all for hanging in with all these suggestions.
I cannot use manual option2 because I downloaded and used the free version of memtest about two years ago and deleted it after confirming that I was not experiencing a problem with my RAM.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks to all for hanging in with all these suggestions.
I cannot use manual option2 because I downloaded and used the free version of memtest about two years ago and deleted it after confirming that I was not experiencing a problem with my RAM.
i don't understand; you can't check application support, caches, preferences?

EDIT: either way, if that message is persistent, perhaps os 13.2 will fix it (i no longer get persistent notifications on bootup); also... how often do you reboot? (just curious)....

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I downloaded and used the free version of memtest about two years ago and deleted it after confirming that I was not experiencing a problem with my RAM.
The app linked in the OSXdaily article is not the one that is causing problems: it’s not signed by Corsair and you could not have installed it in the last two years.
It must be another app.
I don’t think Corsair ever made a memory test app for Macs.
It might be something else, like https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue-mac

Reactions: Speed38 and me55

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
i don't understand; you can't check application support, caches, preferences?
My bad; failed to scroll down far enough.

Went to ~/Library/Application Support/Caches...where I found only these two:
tutanota-desktop-updater
fing-updater

Then went to ~/Library/Caches and again found nothing relevant to memtest or corsair

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
EDIT: either way, if that message is persistent, perhaps os 13.2 will fix it (i no longer get persistent notifications on bootup); also... how often do you reboot? (just curious).
Once, during a support call with Apple, when I got bumped up to an "engineer" he suggested rebooting every two weeks and I now do that on my iMac, iPhone, and mini iPad

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I don’t think Corsair ever made a memory test app for Macs.
I am going to back to the Mac-L forum where I am fairly certain is the forum where someone gave me a link to d/l memtest. I'll report back here if anyone there responds. IN the meantime, I will check out that -icue link you provided.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
It turns out that Memtest is NOT the RAM testing software I downloaded, it was something called rmember, and no, this is not a misspelling.
I have simply no recollection of ever downloading anything from Corsair.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Well, well, well - found it.

Ran EtreCheck, looked at the Launch Agents one by one, for which EtreChedk, bless 'em, provides detailed information.

Look at what I found under Epoccam: [Signature: Corsair Memory, inc.]

Used App Cleaner to remove that App from my Applications folder.

Problem, I believe, solved.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 12.19.12.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.