Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
You clearly have a different understanding of the term evidence/proof...
Clearly. For me controlled tests by professionals, along with tests by ordinary owners, are strong evidence and proof. I have no idea what you think would amount to evidence if that isn't.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
First and foremost: omitting results just because they do not support a potentially pre-defined point of view/opinion meets the (informal) definition of an ill-defined proof.

Or in scientific terms: a contradictory result is proof that a conjecture is clearly wrong

In this case we could agree that results are inconsistent and require research as to find out the cause

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
First and foremost: omitting results just because they do not support a potentially pre-defined point of view/opinion meets the (informal) definition of an ill-defined proof.

Or in scientific terms: a contradictory result is proof that a conjecture is clearly wrong

In this case we could agree that results are inconsistent and require research as to find out the cause
Again, there's overwhelming evidence about what's normal. Obviously your case isn't normal. A hardware test can't even entirely rule out hardware problems (as many reports here have shown), let along that there isn't something abnormal about your software situation. This isn't as hard to understand as you're making it.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
what part of this:

a contradictory result is proof that a conjecture is clearly wrong

needs explanation?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
what part of this:

a contradictory result is proof that a conjecture is clearly wrong

needs explanation?
That's obviously wrong as you're applying it. An apparently contradictory result, which is all you have, is far more likely to be be wrong in some way than to disprove a much larger, much more carefully controlled body of evidence. Again, this isn't hard to understand. You just don't want to see what's plain.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Again, this isn't hard to understand.
.. this isn't hard to understand.

You know what? You insist of being correct despite poor/no evidence.
Funny thing is: even Apple agrees with me and is actually investigating.

But of course, you know better....

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Again, this isn't hard to understand.

You know what? You insist of being correct despite poor/no evidence.
Funny thing is: even Apple agrees with me and is actually investigating.

But of course, you know better....
No, Apple has clearly not agreed that their specs are incorrect. That's 100% your spin. Again, this is simple, elementary logic. You clearly want to believe that your case, which you assume to be normal, overturns the vast bulk of evidence to the contrary. Again, no one can stop you from believing what you please.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Again, you deny facts: I am in active contact with Cupertino.
Trust me, they agree and are looking into this

Your denial of facts (and what I am writing) is exhausting

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Again, you deny facts: I am in active contact with Cupertino.
Trust me, they agree and are looking into this

Your denial of facts (and what I am writing) is exhausting
Incredible. Again, Apple has clearly not told you that their battery spec is wrong. You haven't claimed that, and it's plainly false according to their own tests and those of many others. Spin away.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I nowhere claimed that. That is again your poor comprehension of what I wrote.

They agree that my battery life is not what it should be. Despite nothing is wrong with hardware/software, so they are investigating as to why that is.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I nowhere claimed that. That is again your poor comprehension of what I wrote.

They agree that my battery life is not what it should be. Despite nothing is wrong with hardware/software, so they are investigating as to why that is.
I've already very fully and clearly and simply explained all of this. Again, believe what you please, no one can make you do otherwise.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I love that this thread went dormant for weeks and is now a hotbed for debate.

As per the commenter's question, no. The issue of battery on the 2016 mbps is not resolved.

The entrenched opinions are:

1. You are using the machine wrong or not in line w apple's reasonable understanding of how to use the machine.

Or

2. I'm using the machine reasonably and never achieving close to the states battery life.

One comment missing from the recent fracas is that Macrumors reported on the Bloomberg article that said the shaped battery intended for this machine failed a key test and thus it was shouldered with an inferior shaped battery.

While we don't have an apple employee to confirm that, it is as factual of a rumor as we have to go on and indeed the machine does not have a shaped battery like the rMB.

My experience is this machine has poor battery life. At least it does compared to a mac book air.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
1. You are using the machine wrong or not in line w apple's reasonable understanding of how to use the machine.
No one said that. Again, this isn't complicated. The evidence is overwhelming concerning the 15" model.

One comment missing from the recent fracas is that Macrumors reported on the Bloomberg article that said the shaped battery intended for this machine failed a key test and thus it was shouldered with an inferior shaped battery.
Actually a point I've raised many times.

My experience is this machine has poor battery life. At least it does compared to a mac book air.
You mean your experience with the 13" with touch bar, as I recall. Which as I've said is the model that has received by far the most complaints.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I love that this thread went dormant for weeks and is now a hotbed for debate.

As per the commenter's question, no. The issue of battery on the 2016 mbps is not resolved.

The entrenched opinions are:

Or

2. I'm using the machine reasonably and never achieving close to the states battery life.

While we don't have an apple employee to confirm that, it is as factual of a rumor as we have to go on and indeed the machine does not have a shaped battery like the rMB.

Resolved what? There is a lot of definitions on what "reasonable" is, but it's subjective. You clearly have a different definition than Apple, and everyone will have a different definition between them. "Reasonable" is not a very scientific criteria to define.

Apple claims X hours battery life under a very specific usage. They felt it was reasonable battery powered usage. Others will not. In the specific use case, it has been confirmed by 3rd parties that the battery life is accurate for defined usage. I think people are getting upset that the specific usage's battery life is very different from their specific usage's battery life. Determining if "reasonable" is defined correctly is another argument.

Yes, by your definition statement, it is accurate to say Apple has not "resolved" that the new MBP does not get as good of battery life as an MBA. That will never be "resolved". The MBA is a battery champ in the industry. There are a lot of factors as to why the new MBP gets worse battery life than the MBA, documented all over this thread.

However, to say that this is some defective design is another argument that people are pushing back on. Apple said under their test usage, it will achieve X battery life, and that is backed up. I can achieve it under similar usage. I don't always use my MBP in those conditions and my battery life is shorter as expected.

You should restate the possible scenarios as:
1. You are using your MBP closely in line with Apple's test case and achieving claimed battery life

Or

2. You are using other programs that are drawing more power than the test case and therefore getting less battery life

Or

3. You have some software / OS issue that needs to be addressed - largely fixed by OS updates and/or application updates

Or

4. You have a defective machine - this one is hard to prove definitively as I haven't read many cases (maybe 2) where the machine simply had a bad battery.

malikkamran

Suspended
Oct 6, 2016
Pakistan
MacBook Pro touch bar 13 inch running latest Mac OS there is no battery issue

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.37.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.37.03 AM.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 310

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
From what I've read there was a bug that caused the battery life issue and now it's been fixed, from a few articles I've seen online that mentions the battery life most of them are very positive with one of them even saying they tested it and got over 10 hours.

https://www.idropnews.com/news/macbook-pro-crushes-windows-laptops-new-battery-tests/35883/

https://televisionmagnets.wordpress.com/2017/04/02/macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-hands-on/

I wonder if this is accurate or if peoples actual use is different?

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Last Thursday I got the 15" (512gb). After letting Photos do its thing all night. The next day I brought it in to work. I spent the day doing very light use: checking email, installing a couple of apps, surfing the web, running MS Word. I wasn't taxing the system, but it wasn't sitting there idle all day.
After 5:21:00, I was at 71% battery and it showed I had 17 hours left. Do I trust that 17 hours? No, not exactly. But I do think doing office-type stuff I could have gone all day with the battery. Some night I'll try playing a game to see how fast the dGPU runs the battery down.

Reactions: Sanpete and MrGuder

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Last Thursday I got the 15" (512gb). After letting Photos do its thing all night. The next day I brought it in to work. I spent the day doing very light use: checking email, installing a couple of apps, surfing the web, running MS Word. I wasn't taxing the system, but it wasn't sitting there idle all day.
After 5:21:00, I was at 71% battery and it showed I had 17 hours left. Do I trust that 17 hours? No, not exactly. But I do think doing office-type stuff I could have gone all day with the battery. Some night I'll try playing a game to see how fast the dGPU runs the battery down.
Running Eve Online can kill the battery quite fast. Meanwhile playing Shadow Tactics, doesn't kill the battery as fast.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
From what I've read there was a bug that caused the battery life issue and now it's been fixed
You may be thinking of the Consumer Reports tests that turned off caching in Safari, which triggered a bug. But very few people turn off cache in Safari, so that wasn't a problem with battery life for most who were having trouble. I don't think Apple has acknowledged any battery life fix, and there hasn't been any clear evidence of one. Rather most tests have supported Apple's claims from the start, though the 13" with touch bar has received some mixed reviews on battery life that the internet morphed into an utter battery fail for all models.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Of course I can only report from my personal experience: battery life issues certainly have been mitigated, at least to some extent.
But they have not been fully solved.
From what I see (and can deduce from discussions with the guys at Apple) it seems results are pretty inconsistent: one day I get quite decent battery life. Next day results are vastly different despite same usage pattern. Strangely, results differ significantly w/o discernible cause.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
From what I see (and can deduce from discussions with the guys at Apple) it seems results are pretty inconsistent: one day I get quite decent battery life. Next day results are vastly different despite same usage pattern. Strangely, results differ significantly w/o discernible cause.
Similar to what happened with Consumer Reports, which turned out to be a matter of something highly unusual they were doing (turning off cache in Safari). Your case may be due to some bug or unoptimised feature that's peculiar to your setup and usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.