Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Base noTouch - ultimate battery life evaluation:

1% of battery left - estimated time on battery 7 minutes (brightness 50%)
7 min x 100 = 700 mins = 11 hrs and 40 minutes.

This observation is similar to my other calculations.
MBPr NoTouch battery life = ca. 12 hrs
MBPr Touch battery life = ca. 10 hrs

Attachments

• 77.png
    77.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 177

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Base noTouch - ultimate battery life evaluation:

1% of battery left - estimated time on battery 7 minutes (brightness 50%)
7 min x 100 = 700 mins = 11 hrs and 40 minutes.

This observation is similar to my other calculations.
MBPr NoTouch battery life = ca. 12 hrs
MBPr Touch battery life = ca. 10 hrs

How/why do you keep doing these calculations for the 13" MBP TB when you don't even have one, and when users that have them are consistently reporting 6.5-7 hours (or less) in real usage?

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
How/why do you keep doing these calculations for the 13" MBP TB when you don't even have one, and when users that have them are consistently reporting 6.5-7 hours (or less) in real usage?
They are showing THEIR real life usage I'm showing MINE.

We are sharing observations here

BTW: how long users have been using new Touch? A week maybe -- and you are closing discussion with final verdict - I'm deeply disappointed :D

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003

BTW: how long users have been using new Touch? A week maybe -- and you are closing discussion with final verdict - I'm deeply disappointed :D

What observations? My understanding is that you don't yet have a 13" TB. So you are not making observations, you are making assumptions/guesses based on your use of the 13" non-TB. As many reviews—both professional, and from individual users—suggest that is not a sound approach.

Why would we expect battery life to improve significantly, barring some kind of update from Apple, after one week of use? Please provide a precedent for that assumption.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
That's what I'm still hoping. Unfortunately no one at Apple that I can reach on the phone seems to know anything about it.
Battery life has been fantastic....I'm not sure how many of you guys realize that i've been bitching on the forums about battery life. I did the chat with apple and they only asked me to do a NVRAM reset and SMC reset. I did both already and told them...They had me look at the System info > Power > and make sure the Battery said it was good.

They asked that I reinstall MacOS since it would re-download it...and to be honest, I was just going to do it to shut them up. Super glad I did it...Ive been using the battery all day doing the following:

Jump Desktop - Remoting into 3-4 servers at a time and switching between them (leaving them logged in entire time, not closing it)

Safari - 5-10 tabs open at a time...right now only 6 :)

Fantastical has been syncing in the background as well as Mail.

iMessage - Not really sent or received too many messages, maybe 15 or so?

Snaggit - Grabbed 10 or so screen shots

PDF Expert - Marked up about 10 pages on a PDF

AText - Well, I just use it a lot...

Bartender, Better Touch Tool, Flycut, AdGuard, 1Password all running in the background...and i've even downloaded 2 600mb files and then transferred them to a server (all wireless).

Right now, 20% left and I have used 6 hours 23 minutes on battery. Mostly screen at 50% brightness, but about 20 minutes it was maxed out for a few minutes while I was looking at some pictures.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Oh, my. This will get confusing.

TB = Touch Bar
TB = Terabyte

Earlier someone proposed this nomenclature:
  • tMBP 13 (for the touch bar version)
  • MBP 13 (for the non touch bar)
[doublepost=1479939096][/doublepost]
Battery life has been fantastic....I'm not sure how many of you guys realize that i've been bitching on the forums about battery life. I did the chat with apple and they only asked me to do a NVRAM reset and SMC reset. I did both already and told them...They had me look at the System info > Power > and make sure the Battery said it was good.

They asked that I reinstall MacOS since it would re-download it...and to be honest, I was just going to do it to shut them up. Super glad I did it...Ive been using the battery all day doing the following:

Jump Desktop - Remoting into 3-4 servers at a time and switching between them (leaving them logged in entire time, not closing it)

Safari - 5-10 tabs open at a time...right now only 6 :)

Fantastical has been syncing in the background as well as Mail.

iMessage - Not really sent or received too many messages, maybe 15 or so?

Snaggit - Grabbed 10 or so screen shots

PDF Expert - Marked up about 10 pages on a PDF

AText - Well, I just use it a lot...

Bartender, Better Touch Tool, Flycut, AdGuard, 1Password all running in the background...and i've even downloaded 2 600mb files and then transferred them to a server (all wireless).

Right now, 20% left and I have used 6 hours 23 minutes on battery. Mostly screen at 50% brightness, but about 20 minutes it was maxed out for a few minutes while I was looking at some pictures.

Well, I don't know what to make of this. I'm using a lot of the same software and the same brightness settings.

I did not migrate any data when I set up the tMBP 13"; it was a completely fresh install. I've done SMC and NVRAM reset.

I don't know how much sense it makes for me to reinstall OS X Sierra given that I set up fresh? But perhaps something was wrong out of the factory and a reinstall would help?

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
[doublepost=1479939096][/doublepost]

Well, I don't know what to make of this. I'm using a lot of the same software and the same brightness settings.

I did not migrate any data when I set up the tMBP 13"; it was a completely fresh install. I've done SMC and NVRAM reset.

I don't know how much sense it makes for me to reinstall OS X Sierra given that I set up fresh? But perhaps something was wrong out of the factory and a reinstall would help?

That's what I am thinking...I would try to do it - you really do not have anything to lose.
The funny thing is, I didn't have to reinstall any programs, any data, logins - everything was still there. I basically just started it, typed my password a few times, and it downloaded and then installed. To be quite honest, I'm REALLY shocked my battery life doubled...

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Washington

Do we think there are enough non-retina MBP's out there to refer to the non Touch Bar version as MBP 13 confusing? Since the retina versions have come out the lack of an r has always meant anything not retina. What about ntMBP? It could double as "not touch" and "no touch" MBP.

It will be nice when we can go forward and either drop the reference to retina screens due to them being so prolific.

I do like "tMBP."

agazoo

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
I am getting about 5-6 hours on my 15" BTO maxed but 1TB storage; Doing third charge/discharge atm :-( Nothing going on, no usage, just safari no streaming, simple browsing with brightness at about 80%; Wired network;

The estimates OS X gives me vary wildly ...

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I am getting about 5-6 hours on my 15" BTO maxed but 1TB storage; Doing third charge/discharge atm :-( Nothing going on, no usage, just safari no streaming, simple browsing with brightness at about 80%; Wired network;

It sound stupid - look at my post above in the last page or two...I am completely shocked it worked, but would encourage you to try it (even though, like me, i'm sure you don't think it will help).

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
That's what I am thinking...I would try to do it - you really do not have anything to lose.
The funny thing is, I didn't have to reinstall any programs, any data, logins - everything was still there. I basically just started it, typed my password a few times, and it downloaded and then installed. To be quite honest, I'm REALLY shocked my battery life doubled...

Ah, so you didn't do a clean install? You just downloaded and installed Sierra over your current install?

In that case, I certainly can't see a downside.

fokmik

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA

i think if you lower the brightness to 50% you can get 2 extra hours

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I have a 13" MBP with Touch Bar. Fully charged, just unplugged and it says 6:15 Remaining. Went to System Information > Power and Battery Condition says "Normal." Should it say "Good" and should I consider taking to the Genius Bar?

UPDATE: After posting this message the batter remaining now reports 5:45 - that a 30 minute drop in 2 minutes.

agazoo

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Just noticed it says Graphics Card: High Perf in activity monitor,
I have nothing but Safari going on, is this how it's supposed to be?
CoconutBattery shows 14.87 watts discharge ...

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Okay, I spent the last three days doing battery tests. I let the battery go from 100% to 0% three times. I have a 15" with 16GB RAM, low-end Intel and Radeon 450. I ran a timer in the menu bar to track actual usage. When I put the laptop to sleep, I turned off the timer, and turned it back on when I opened the lid. So these are real run-times.

First day: just under 7 hours. I was streaming radio or playing music about 80% of the time (which I found has a noticeable effect on wattage). Screen brightness was about 75%. I was running a lot of different things...

Second day: I did an SMC reset, turned-off auto-brightness, and set brightness to about 55% (8 ticks from left). I ran Airmail, Safari, Calendar, and a few random things I don't remember. Battery life was just over 10 hours.

Third day: Same conditions, but also did about an hour of php-coding, two hours of writing (Scrivener). Battery life just broke 11 hours.

I have to say, I am pleased with the battery. I am coming from a 13" Air which of course was the king of battery life, and I find the real runtime to be about the same. I'm sure if I run Xcode or Parallels it will go down, but that is to be expected.

Running Coconut Battery and watching the wattage usage closely, I totally see why battery life varies so much... one particular app can double your wattage and half you battery life...

Another note: estimated time left was all over the place. Coconut's estimate I found more useful than Apple's because Coconut's estimate is based on what you are doing right now, whereas Apple seems to average over some period of time.

Blackvibes

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
How is everyone getting over 4 hours on their Macbook? I received mine this afternoon, The Netherlands, and had to charge it twice already. It's currently telling 3:18 @ 77%..

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-11-23 om 23.54.28.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-11-23 om 23.54.28.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Schermafbeelding 2016-11-23 om 23.58.02.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-11-23 om 23.58.02.png
    840.4 KB · Views: 126

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006

Can u please do your observations somewhere else maybe by watching the stars. I told u already u are not helpful and u are just spamming and diluting the conversation. Buy a MBP TB and then u are welcome to the conversation until then stay out of it.

Reactions: ikenstein

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Make sure you have "Automatic Graphics Switching" checked in the System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

Safari does not seem to activate my dGPU at all, even when running Flash.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
How is everyone getting over 4 hours on their Macbook? I received mine this afternoon, The Netherlands, and had to charge it twice already. It's currently telling 3:18 @ 77%..

Same here.

I spoke with parallels yesterday because discharge is at > 20 W. He did all the checks and couldn't explain himself what is going on. He will come back to me with after further investigations.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I have a 13" MBP with Touch Bar. Fully charged, just unplugged and it says 6:15 Remaining. Went to System Information > Power and Battery Condition says "Normal." Should it say "Good" and should I consider taking to the Genius Bar?

UPDATE: After posting this message the batter remaining now reports 5:45 - that a 30 minute drop in 2 minutes.
This bears repeating given these posts - stop using the time estimate. It's just extrapolating what usage you are doing right this minute. It's useless. You need to look at what apps are consuming what and your current watts or mah.
[doublepost=1479943914][/doublepost]
With 14.87 continuous discharge, you'll get 3-4 hours. Something is running that is drawing lots of power. Actually, that's based on a 13". No idea what you are testing.
[doublepost=1479944034][/doublepost]
Time estimates are meaningless, except that it tells us that you are running a high power consumption process.
[doublepost=1479944218][/doublepost]
Ah, so you didn't do a clean install? You just downloaded and installed Sierra over your current install?

In that case, I certainly can't see a downside.
Strange, I wouldn't think that would work, but I guess it's case by case. It depends on what your old migrated setup was running that suddenly draws more power on the 16 MBP. Different processors would theoretically handle things differently. I.e. run full speed (and power) for something that was previously limited by processor speed. Just throwing darts. Glad we are finally finding SOLUTIONS and not just bitching about poor battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.