Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
It was never like this... since 10 years the battery indicator did a solid job but suddenly they are telling us it is inaccurate? How is this suddenly possible?
there was a good explanation as to why this is he case posted somewhere else on the forum which I'll try to dig up, but suffice to say that there IS a reason to do with the newest architecture and while I agree there probably was a way to fix it, it's better to remove it while it's completely inaccurate, and re add it later if they fix it. Relying on that indicator on this specific MacBook was useless.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
So basically by removing the time remaining Apple is basically implying that what you guys are experiencing is purely psychological?
Apple figures that if you don't see something that indicates the battery life sucks then you might not presume the battery life sucks or sucks as much. Thus, the perception of the battery life sucking is minimized even though it may still suck. BRILLIANT!!!

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Update: On my machine that was previously getting 4-6 hours totally on a battery, I've just hit exactly 3 hours use since installing 10.12.2 final, I'm at 56%, down from 88% so that's 32% in 3 hours, roughly 10% an hour. I can live with that quite comfortably.
Battery life was already good on my 13" tbMBP prior to the update. But it seems even better now. Before I was getting 7-9 hour battery life based on 10-20-30% actual usage. Now I have just spent 2h30min on battery spending less than 20% of battery capacity, so on track for more than 10h. Safari (80%) + youtube + streaming live TV channel.

Reactions: mahcus36

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
there was a good explanation as to why this is he case posted somewhere else on the forum which I'll try to dig up, but suffice to say that there IS a reason to do with the newest architecture and while I agree there probably was a way to fix it, it's better to remove it while it's completely inaccurate, and re add it later if they fix it. Relying on that indicator on this specific MacBook was useless.

Is there anyone else seeing improved battery life with 10.12.2 final?

I will install tonight and test tomorrow.

UPDATE: I just installed and unplugged, and I've been using it for 20 minutes and am still at 100%. Yes, I get that estimates are not accurate, but this is definitely different than before. I've been watching power consumption in Battery Health 2 and it does seem lower.

That said, something similar happened after I reinstalled Sierra. I got 8-8.5 hours for a couple of cycles after that, but over time it dropped to 6-6.5 hours. So far too early to celebrate.

Last edited:

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Update for me: The final version of 10.12.2 fixed my issues! It using the appropriate wattages again. Coconut is showing 10 plus hours remaining after 30 minutes of my average use style. (per Battery Logger 2). I did the install plugged in, then let it sit for a couple hours plugged in so it would finish re-indexing and all has been good since. Very pleased.

konnyaku

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
I just upgraded to 10.12.2 -- been using it mobile for about an hour. Initial impressions: Wattages are not better for me, I'm still on pace for about ~6ish hours from web browsing/music/non-high performance apps, less than 2/3 brightness. Not sure if my computer is re-indexing (but Spotlight shows no activity in Activity Monitor). Will update if this changes.

Epicberry

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Talked to a tech at Apple today while I was getting my phone repaired. They (Apple) are totally aware of the situation and believe it has to do with the kernel tasks that's doing something weird with Sierra. Though they think this recent update should show some improvement, it won't be until the next update that will show a significant improvement in battery life. Right now the staff have been told that all they can do is wait for a fix within the next update. The tech also stated that it's not a hardware issue. Hope this brings some light to people.

MegaSai

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
C'mon man ! You bought a brand new computer and did not know the specs before hand ? And then, because of the specs, you are returning it ? Seems like a troll to me. Your money, your life. Next time do some research PRIOR to purchasing a new laptop.

I did some researches on the required specs and ordered a bit hurriedly as needs to wait for 5 weeks, yah the battery size was missed.

konnyaku

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Talked to a tech at Apple today while I was getting my phone repaired. They (Apple) are totally aware of the situation and believe it has to do with the kernel tasks that's doing something weird with Sierra. Though they think this recent update should show some improvement, it won't be until the next update that will show a significant improvement in battery life. Right now the staff have been told that all they can do is wait for a fix within the next update. The tech also stated that it's not a hardware issue. Hope this brings some light to people.

God, please let this be true.

Reactions: WRONG and JohnnyGo

Epicberry

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
Hey everyone!

Just spoke to an Apple Support rep. He told me to bring my computer into the Genius Bar just to run a diag to confirm it is not a hardware issue. He said that Apple is very aware of this issue on the MBPs and is looking for a fix.

Just was very glad to hear that.

I heard something similar from Apple tech. They're waiting on the next update to address the kernel tasks that's sapping the battery. The batteries are normal and it's not a defect. The only defect they have seen is with the dGPU units so far on the motherboard.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
I heard something similar from Apple tech. They're waiting on the next update to address the kernel tasks that's sapping the battery. The batteries are normal and it's not a defect. The only defect they have seen is with the dGPU units so far on the motherboard.

Uploaded my hardware report this morning to their support website as requested by them during a 2 hour call. Let's pray...

Thanos812007

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Macbook 15 touch bar 10.2.2 if u do smc reset the laptop will not turn on. It stucks in apple logo and the fans go crazy!!

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013

Yeah, let's wait until the return period is over. :D

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Seems like my problems are fixed with the latest release! Much better then beta 7. My idle usage on 75% brightness was around 8-12watts but now its at 5watts and sometimes even as low as 3 watts.
I'm on a 15" TB

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I'm still on 10.12.1 and I've just hit 10 hours of battery life on my 13" tMBP with light use. Overall pretty happy with this. Hope to see more improvement over the course of new macOS updates.

Edit: Brightness at 50%.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Ok it is official. New update 10.12.2 fixed my battery I am up back to 9-10 hrs of regular use. Before update idle power consumption was not going lower than 6W, after 10.12.2 it is now < 4W (60% brightness, ALS on).

With ~50Wh battery, it translates easily way over 10 hrs (if you are not doing much apart from safari). To get 10 hrs MacBook must average 5W (second attachment) - I get 5.3 Watts Safari browsing, mail, Fantastical2, Bear, Snappy and more apps in background.

coconutBattery coconutBattery, Today at 10.48.09.png

Attachments

• coconutBattery coconutBattery, Today at 10.53.45.png
    coconutBattery coconutBattery, Today at 10.53.45.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 184

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for the update @lobo1978. I am also seeing better battery life with the new MacOS.

Let's talk about discharge while sleeping. I just measured a 3% discharge, 150mAh, after 8h of sleep. That would yield 10-12 days for s standby time or less than 50% of Apple's estimates. I don't see it as a problem but hopefully this can be improved on the next MacOS update.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Update for me: The final version of 10.12.2 fixed my issues! It using the appropriate wattages again. Coconut is showing 10 plus hours remaining after 30 minutes of my average use style. (per Battery Logger 2). I did the install plugged in, then let it sit for a couple hours plugged in so it would finish re-indexing and all has been good since. Very pleased.

Can report similar results. I am now getting better battery life even with 75% brightness.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I didn't really have any battery issues to begin with but the new update definitely didn't create any which is nice. I still seem to get about 10 hours browsing with a 15". I haven't used the computer too much since the update but everything seems to be working well and seems stable. Glad to hear it's helping out with a lot of your issues! When I heard some of the wattages being talked about I really thought something strange was going on in software so hopefully that is true and they are resolving it.

mfarben

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Same situation here... 10.12.2 seems to fix the issue. Lower wattages as well as longer running time here.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Can someone report on standby/sleep battery life decline ? Apple has estimated 30 days of standby time... but I'm seeing 150mAh decline for every 8 hours of sleep, which would yield only 10 days of standby time.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Can someone report on standby/sleep battery life decline ? Apple has estimated 30 days of standby time... but I'm seeing 150mAh decline for every 8 hours of sleep, which would yield only 10 days of standby time.
That's what I'm seeing and seems to be reported on the forum too. It's not ideal but can live with 10 days for now

Reactions: JohnnyGo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.