Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggbrother

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

The whole apple plan is to cheat your money anyway
Iphone 8 is same as 7/6s/6
Then you buy iphone x
Not enough storage then you buy 256gb
No fast charge included then you buy cable and charger
Front and back both are glasses then you buy apple care, and an official case
You will even buy an apple wireless charge dock
Ho you live in Europe? All price above would be like 130% of USA

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The whole apple plan is to cheat your money anyway
Iphone 8 is same as 7/6s/6
Then you buy iphone x
Not enough storage then you buy 256gb
No fast charge included then you buy cable and charger
Front and back both are glasses then you buy apple care, and an official case
You will even buy an apple wireless charge dock
Ho you live in Europe? All price above would be like 130% of USA
I agree with this. It is laughable what Apple charges and then to not include some of the ‘hot new’ accessory items is just greed. I’m a huge Apple fan but honestly, were the hardware/software not as good as it is, or were there a better option that wasn’t as fragmented as Android, I’d be long gone.

I predict it’s a matter of time before someone else comes along with their own hardware/software/apps/App Store. We need more competition. It’s either Apple/Android/Windows, and Windows is arguably not even a real option at this point.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I agree with this. It is laughable what Apple charges and then to not include some of the ‘hot new’ accessory items is just greed. I’m a huge Apple fan but honestly, were the hardware/software not as good as it is, or were there a better option that wasn’t as fragmented as Android, I’d be long gone.

In my opinion, the negative effect of fragmentation is a bit overblown. If you stick to major flagship devices that you buy shortly after release, you'll get a modern OS that *will* be updated at least twice during the time you'll have the phone.

It's funny that when Android and iOS are compared, the timeliness of updates comes up--and they are indeed delayed on non-Google made devices. However, it's often those very updates on iOS that cause iPhones to start lagging and people start complaining about it. The Note 8 that I'm trying out until I decide on the iPhone X runs smoothly and is a joy to use. There is no lag, freezes, or spontaneous reboots on it like I was experiencing on my iPhone 6s Plus when I upgraded to iOS 11. I was pretty irritated that my iPhone became pretty much unusable--it would even freeze up during calls and disconnect me. I took it the genius who said there was nothing wrong with the hardware and to set it up as a new phone (because that is SO convenient) which I did and problem persisted.

The big features that iOS has that I miss are iMessage and Facetime--and of course the new iPhone will have FaceID and interesting AR apps that Android just isn't capable of. Also, iPhones have superior international LTE capability (the Verizon version does anyway) which is a factor for me. I think the X will be most likely be the best overall device on the market when it's released and I may get one. However, I'm now concerned that a future iOS update will hobble my iPhone in a year.

Reactions: GuruZac

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
In my opinion, the negative effect of fragmentation is a bit overblown. If you stick to major flagship devices that you buy shortly after release, you'll get a modern OS that *will* be updated at least twice during the time you'll have the phone.

It's funny that when Android and iOS are compared, the timeliness of updates comes up--and they are indeed delayed on non-Google made devices. However, it's often those very updates on iOS that cause iPhones to start lagging and people start complaining about it. The Note 8 that I'm trying out until I decide on the iPhone X runs smoothly and is a joy to use. There is no lag, freezes, or spontaneous reboots on it like I was experiencing on my iPhone 6s Plus when I upgraded to iOS 11. I was pretty irritated that my iPhone became pretty much unusable--it would even freeze up during calls and disconnect me. I took it the genius who said there was nothing wrong with the hardware and to set it up as a new phone (because that is SO convenient) which I did and problem persisted.

The big features that iOS has that I miss are iMessage and Facetime--and of course the new iPhone will have FaceID and interesting AR apps that Android just isn't capable of. Also, iPhones have superior international LTE capability (the Verizon version does anyway) which is a factor for me. I think the X will be most likely be the best overall device on the market when it's released and I may get one. However, I'm now concerned that a future iOS update will hobble my iPhone in a year.

Android has face recognition and had it first (maybe not as advanced) and its capable of AR due to Google ARCore. AR is still in its infancy and no one is gloating over how amazing it is yet so that has yet to fulfill its future. And iMessage is mainly used in the U.S. and not in Europe and other countries. There are plenty of messaging options out there.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

I am kind of with you. I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 4S and I never experienced the number of issues I’ve had with my iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 11. I have definitely lost some confidence in the stability of iOS now and going forward. I’m not sure what the difference is with iOS 11 vs previous updates. I think feasibly the only phone I would consider jumping to would be the Google Pixel line. Pure Android with Google provided updates guaranteed for 3 years. Plus they are solid hardware devices as well. I’m really embedded in the iOS ecosystem between two iPhones, two Apple Watches, Apple TV4, MacBook Pro, and two iPad Pro models so I don’t expect to move to another ecosystem anytime soon. To be clear, I am happy overall with iOS and Apple products. I’d have to say my favorite product right now is my iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 11. Fantastic device for me in school.

Last edited:
Reactions: barkomatic

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Android has face recognition and had it first (maybe not as advanced) and its capable of AR due to Google ARCore. AR is still in its infancy and no one is gloating over how amazing it is yet so that has yet to fulfill its future. And iMessage is mainly used in the U.S. and not in Europe and other countries. There are plenty of messaging options out there.

My Note 8 does have facial recognition, but its only reliable in a well lit room and I've read it's not secure. Not that I'm a top secret spy or anything, but some jerk might steal my phone and use a photo they found on facebook to unlock it. The fingerprint sensor works great though. As for the messaging, many of my friends had started using Facebook Messenger anyway, which of course is cross-platform -- and there is also video calling in that app which mitigates the loss of iMessage and Facetime somewhat. It's surprising how often I find myself in a situation without cellular service but decent wifi. iOS users will not install any app for the purpose of communicating with an Android user I have found, so the better options out there are a non-starter. I do use Duo with my other friend on Android.

I am kind of with you. I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 4S and I never experienced the number of issues I’ve had with my iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 11. I have definitely lost some confidence in the stability of iOS now and going forward. I’m not sure what the difference is with iOS 11 vs previous updates. I think feasibly the only phone I would consider jumping to would be the Google Pixel line. Pure Android with Google provided updates guaranteed for 3 years. Plus they are solid hardware devices as well. I’m really embedded in the iOS ecosystem between two iPhones, two Apple Watches, Apple TV4, MacBook Pro, and two iPad Pro models so I don’t expect to move to another ecosystem anytime soon. To be clear, I am happy overall with iOS and Apple products. I’d have to say my favorite product right now is my iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 11. Fantastic device for me in school.

Yeah, iOS 11 has been problematic and Forbes and other publications have noticed as well. I installed the latest update on my ailing iPhone this morning in the hope it will stabilize but I'll see. I agree that overall I Apple devices are very solid and after 9 years I'm wrapped up in the ecosystem as well. My Note 8 experience was in part to see how feasible it was to partially leave it and so far I've been successful. I'll always maintain at least a few Apple devices myself and still enjoy my iPad Pro and Apple TV. Coincidentally, Google just opened up a pop retail outlet close by and I'm going to check it out after work.

Reactions: GuruZac

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

How does the iPad work with school? To me it seems limited verse what an actual computer can do....
[doublepost=1522727658][/doublepost]I sold off my stainless steel Apple Watch and my 6s about 4 months ago.

Tired of waiting for Apple products due to the hype.
Tired of the software updates tweaking my settings and brining in so many new features that I learn/figure out.
Tired of the App Store asking for money for most of the apps I like.
The Apple Watch was sluggish, we have to admit it is a bit ugly. (Small, and square)
Seems the App Store and the whole animoji thing was geared toward high school girls.
Was not happy with the 2 memory choices.
Did not like the fact they charge for fast charging cables??? Samsung comes in the box that way and the Note 8 was cheaper.

I switched to the Note 8 for the freedom and customization.
Anyhow after these four months (AND WITH ALL THAT SAID), think I may give the X a try. The ease of use and simplicity calls me back. It absolutely does not make sense to go back to a phone especially one over 1000 dollars for this reason but may even buy an Apple Watch and air pods. Just miss the intergration and ease of use and the simplicity. Not sure how I feel on the face ID but either way, probably will hang onto this phone for 2 years couldn't see doing the yearly upgrade you'd be in payments forever.

unclefarkus

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I had iPhone X... sold it and bought Note8
returned Note8 and bought SE for $100 haha

pretty happy. just glad to have fingerprint back.
wish the screen was a little bigger sometimes because typing is hard
but it's also nice how small it is, so

kinda sad that I prefer the $100 phone over the $1000 phone
oh well, bought a cellular series 3 black stainless watch with my savings

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I had iPhone X... sold it and bought Note8
returned Note8 and bought SE for $100 haha

pretty happy. just glad to have fingerprint back.
wish the screen was a little bigger sometimes because typing is hard
but it's also nice how small it is, so

kinda sad that I prefer the $100 phone over the $1000 phone
oh well, bought a cellular series 3 black stainless watch with my savings

Picked up a X today. Got frustarted with the process of trying to transfer EVERYTHING from my Note 8.
Seems I can get my contacts and apps back along with my messsges (possibly) and the pictures/videos will return but what about my notes and my website bookmarks??
Those things are kind of important as well. The transfer was taking a while too, so you know what I did reactivated my Note 8.

unclefarkus

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
Picked up a X today. Got frustarted with the process of trying to transfer EVERYTHING from my Note 8.
Seems I can get my contacts and apps back along with my messsges (possibly) and the pictures/videos will return but what about my notes and my website bookmarks??
Those things are kind of important as well. The transfer was taking a while too, so you know what I did reactivated my Note 8.

I remember the frustration of going from iOS to the Note in that regard. I'm sure it sucks both ways. Mainly had issues getting my messages. My Notes from iOS transferred to the Samsung app though. I think that's where a lot of the issues arise honestly. The stuff I had saved with an agnostic service (such as) Google transferred with ease while the stuff that wasn't (Apple and Samsung) was a pain in the butt and required a half-baked transfer app.

I keep most things with Google if possible (Photos, Contacts, Keep)

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I remember the frustration of going from iOS to the Note in that regard. I'm sure it sucks both ways. Mainly had issues getting my messages. My Notes from iOS transferred to the Samsung app though. I think that's where a lot of the issues arise honestly. The stuff I had saved with an agnostic service (such as) Google transferred with ease while the stuff that wasn't (Apple and Samsung) was a pain in the butt and required a half-baked transfer app.

I keep most things with Google if possible (Photos, Contacts, Keep)

It wasnt that bad switching from ios to note 8, however trying to go back is worse.
What transfer app did you utilize?
May use Move 2 ios for messages and a different app for videos pics and contacts.
The move 2 ios app only gave me limited options, saw nothing for notes or bookmarks?? Am i missing it?

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Also, iPhones have superior international LTE capability (the Verizon version does anyway)

Have to disagree with this statement, the S8/+, Note 8, S9/+ have superior LTE support than the iPhone X. They all support all carriers (CDMA/GSM), have 256QAM and 4x4 MIMO, and the S9/+ devices bring all LTE bands including Band 71.

Reactions: Black05Hemi

unclefarkus

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I'm pretty sure I used the Samsung Smart Switch app to go from iOS to Android. The main problem I had was in regard to encryption. As for bookmarks, I use Chrome and have my bookmarks there. At one point I'd transferred my Chrome bookmarks to Safari and now they're in iCloud, so there's some differences in my bookmarks between the 2 apps, but they're mostly the same (I don't change them too often).

Notes, I stay in the Google world and use Google Keep. What notes app do you use on your Galaxy?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I'm pretty sure I used the Samsung Smart Switch app to go from iOS to Android. The main problem I had was in regard to encryption. As for bookmarks, I use Chrome and have my bookmarks there. At one point I'd transferred my Chrome bookmarks to Safari and now they're in iCloud, so there's some differences in my bookmarks between the 2 apps, but they're mostly the same (I don't change them too often).

Notes, I stay in the Google world and use Google Keep. What notes app do you use on your Galaxy?

Book marks were from safari at first then it went to my note 8 internet browser. Have not seen an option to switch that back.
The Notes are in the native phone app section.
[doublepost=1522801198][/doublepost]
Note is too big for my taste. I'd love an iPhone X with the "plus" screen size. That would be my go to device.

It is a big phone and a tad too big, but if i were to upgrade to apple at that time my thought process was on the plus models.

The selling point for the Note 8 for me is the S pen. Otherwise if somebody wanted a smaller display with almost the exact same capabilities, then that would be the S8.

As for the iPhone X , next year its supposed to be offered as a 6.4 inch display, which is what I will opt for.

Yeah I had an X in my hand today and was going to do a transfer from the note. Was a total waste of time. Not a full transfer, probabaly gave up 2 too but switched back to my note 8.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Have to disagree with this statement, the S8/+, Note 8, S9/+ have superior LTE support than the iPhone X. They all support all carriers (CDMA/GSM), have 256QAM and 4x4 MIMO, and the S9/+ devices bring all LTE bands including Band 71.

Maybe but to be fair you need to flash or get an unlocked version. Then, if it’s unlocked you don’t get WiFi calling support. with an unlocked iPhone it will work anywhere and you get all Carrier features in the US.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
This is what happens when you use an unlocked android phone in the US

Can any engineers chime in on BYOD VoLTE and/or Wifi Calling? http://reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/89emso/can_any_engineers_chime_in_on_byod_volte_andor/

1. the original quote was for LTE band compatibility, which is superior on the last 2 years of Galaxy devices. International and domestic, they support more bands and have better modems.

2. AT&T is the worst. They really suck in this area and have caused iPhones these exact types of problems in the past as well. Branded phones, whether they be AT&T or not now work, but seemingly the unlocked models are still having teething problems. Sorry, but I blame AT&T on this one, it's the only carrier with these types of issues. https://michaelkummer.com/technology/cant-turn-on-att-wi-fi-calling-for-your-account/

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I would say skip the Note 8 and the iPhone X at this point - think of the S9 or an older iPhone...and hold out for 5ish months!

I'd go S9 myself, just because its the more recent phone, cheaper than the X, very good trade in deals right now with samsung (I traded in an old broken flip phone)

If you want an iOS device I'd say, at this point, skip the X and go with an older device that is still a powerful performer like a 6s or 7....the X's successors are a little over 5 months away now

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
iPhone because it’s Apple. Simple enough.

When you own other Apple devices going Android just doesn’t make any sense.

I have been using samsung phablet for sometime now. For personal use, I very very seldom use a tablet or pc anymore nowadays. There is just no need for them at all. My S8+ is my all-in-one device. I think many around the world share the same use case as me.

The problem is that without the Mac or iPad (and apple jail :) ), iPhone is really quite basic in capability as an all-in-one. And not to mention it has the most boring phone (UI wise) on earth.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.