Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
iOS is superior to Android hands down. Buy your self Samsung, Google or LG phone, but you’ll be stuck with poorly coded and poorly optimized Android OS.

Good luck.

Well darn, I didn't know it was "hands down" superior... that sounds like a bad situation with us using Android. Fortunately for the 80% of the market that doesn't use iOS, its not true. iOS is great, but so is Android. One gives you choices, one makes you "feel" safe.

I'm all ****ed up into the iOS system; trapped like a rat. Note 8 is too big anyway.

But I haven't seen the Note 8 up close, maybe it's a stunner? Samsung does make cool stuff. But another thing. I've been seeing these X billboards EVERYWHERE. This has an effect on me. I have a weak mind.

So I have no choice really. That's over with. :)

So though you've never seen a Note 8, you know its too big, even though its nearly the same exact size as an iPhone 6/7/8+.

By the way, why can't we just call the iPhone 8 the iPhone 6sss ?

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Apple has billions in cash because they have convinced a large pool of people to overpay for their products and to upgrade them every year as if that was "normal"...well guess what, it is not normal at all.

This latest iOS is proof of this shady business practice. Crapware is more like it. Beta...whatever, they had a year and an army of beta testers and this is the best they can do! I am not impressed.

I have an iPhone 7 and it will be my LAST iPhone I can assure you. I pity those who have more money than common sense and will gladly bend over and grab their ankles again and again and again...must enjoy it. Not me...

Wow. I hope you enjoy your next phone!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Android is a nonstarter for me period.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Note is too big for my taste. I'd love an iPhone X with the "plus" screen size. That would be my go to device.

The selling point for the Note 8 for me is the S pen. Otherwise if somebody wanted a smaller display with almost the exact same capabilities, then that would be the S8.

As for the iPhone X , next year its supposed to be offered as a 6.4 inch display, which is what I will opt for.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The selling point for the Note 8 for me is the S pen. Otherwise if somebody wanted a smaller display with almost the exact same capabilities, then that would be the S8.

As for the iPhone X , next year its supposed to be offered as a 6.4 inch display, which is what I will opt for.
Yes I do like the larger display on the note 8 but ultimately prefer iOS. So I will get the X this year and if the 6.4 inch X Plus is available next year I will get that.
[doublepost=1508315007][/doublepost]I have the note 8 but not for much longer. There is nothing wrong with the phone. It’s fast and snappy, has a great screen and the battery life is good. I just prefer iOS and I have a lot of Apple devices. Even though I was trying to keep my 7 plus and the note 8, I kept defaulting back to my 7 plus and it felt like I was forcing myself to use the note 8. It felt redundant and I’d often not Touch it for days. So for me it doesn’t make sense to keep a phone when I didn’t really have much use for it and it’s going to spend the majority of the time sitting in a drawer.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Well darn, I didn't know it was "hands down" superior... that sounds like a bad situation with us using Android. Fortunately for the 80% of the market that doesn't use iOS, its not true. iOS is great, but so is Android. One gives you choices, one makes you "feel" safe.

So if 80% of people smoked crack you would too??

Majority of phones run android but you wouldn’t be caught dead using a $50 Android phone.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
So if 80% of people smoked crack you would too??

What are you talking about? We are talking about market share. You are equating 80% of the population of the world that choose a different phone OS from you to crack heads - something illegal and terrible for you? How brainwashed do you have to be by Apple to make a statement like that?

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
What are you talking about? We are talking about market share. You are equating 80% of the population of the world that choose a different phone OS from you to crack heads - something illegal and terrible for you? How brainwashed do you have to be by Apple to make a statement like that?

Apple users will tell you that the popularity of Android (vs. iOS) is because Android is available on more budget devices around the world and only the privileged can afford the superior hardware and software (iPhone) :)

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD

Just because 80% phones use Android, it doesn’t mean it’s better than iOS.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple users will tell you that the popularity of Android (vs. iOS) is because Android is available on more budget devices around the world and only the privileged can afford the superior hardware and software (iPhone) :)

Samsung is the largest Android smartphone maker, and their flagship phones are in a similar price range to Apple's. But that is beside the point. I was responding to the crack guy below... will continue there.

Just because 80% phones use Android, it doesn’t mean it’s better than iOS.

And because you say "iOS is superior to Android hands down", it doesn't make it so. Both iOS and Android are great platforms. There is no "hands down" with either one. Thankfully they are different, so users still have some choice.

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I’d like a smaller X.... if she reads this I’m dead ...waka waka

But seriously... an Xse would do it for me.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Samsung is the largest Android smartphone maker, and their flagship phones are in a similar price range to Apple's. But that is beside the point. I was responding to the crack guy below... will continue there.

And because you say "iOS is superior to Android hands down", it doesn't make it so. Both iOS and Android are great platforms. There is no "hands down" with either one. Thankfully they are different, so users still have some choice.

I was an Android user for over 6 years and iOS user for 4 month, and I can say that iOS is better than Android hands down.

People keep praising Samsung hardware, yet forget that it runs Android which more like Windows Vista.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I was an Android use for over 6 years and iOS user for 4 month, and I can say that iOS is better than Android hands down.

People keep praising Samsung hardware, yet forget that it runs Android which more like Windows Vista.

Yeh, that's it... Android is like Windows Vista. Your blanket statements are becoming even more ridiculous, and I didn't think that was possible.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
[doublepost=1508343266][/doublepost]
Yeh, that's it... Android is like Windows Vista. Your blanket statements are becoming even more ridiculous, and I didn't think that was possible.

And yet you have nothing good to say about Android and why it’s better than iOS. Good job..../s

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

And yet you have nothing good to say about Android and why it’s better than iOS. Good job..../s
I find Android more efficient. iOS requires multiples taps and swipes to accomplish the same functions. I also do not like how core apps have t gained more functionality without taking into account navigation, I mean just look at the settings app. I prefer iOS apps on tablets to Android tablet apps(or lack thereof, so I will continue to use iPads for that reason but on mobile, I'll pass.

This pass the mustard as a valid reason?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

The S pen is cool but I likely wouldn’t ever use it. I mean, I shouldn’t say never. But rarely ever. Maybe if I was still taking notes? Can it transpose notes taken in a classroom setting into type text? If so I was born a decade too soon :(
[doublepost=1508350014][/doublepost]
I find Android more efficient. iOS requires multiples taps and swipes to accomplish the same functions. I also do not like how core apps have t gained more functionality without taking into account navigation, I mean just look at the settings app. I prefer iOS apps on tablets to Android tablet apps(or lack thereof, so I will continue to use iPads for that reason but on mobile, I'll pass.

This pass the mustard as a valid reason?
iOS has become something of a chore in certain scenarios, for sure. The more options Apple gives us the more convoluted dredging through those options as become. I do appreciate the (somewhat) editable quick launch bar (the swipe up thing, is that what it’s called? I am drawing a blank right now).

To be fair, force touch does make a few things faster for me too. I haven’t really rested head to head in the same tasks to see what is faster in average. I guess it would depend heavily on what the user is doing most often.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I prefer iOS so I would choose the X. It really just comes down to OS preference, there is no choice here. Hardware will become less and less of a differentiator over time and software will be the main focus of choice. For me, iOS has some significant advantages here. Performance, security, privacy, and ecosystem. More customization would be nice, but it's not critical to me.

Reactions: cakebytheocean

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

There is a little button where you can search on someone's posts. I've posted a LOT about what I am enjoying in Android vs. iOS. If I didn't see benefits, why would I have spent my money to buy it?

The difference between you and me is that I see that both iOS and Android are great platforms with pros and cons on each side. I use both. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that one is better than the other because they are not. They are both great, and different. I appreciate having a choice. You make a ridiculous statement that iOS is superior to Android, "hands down". You want to limit your world to Apple's products, then go for it.

Things I like better on the iPhone alternative side...
- HW Choice... I can choose between different hardware. I don't care for the current crop of iPhones, so I didn't constrain myself to it. What they are calling an iPhone 8 would have been better called an iPhone 6sss. The iPhone X is not appealing to me.... smaller size (no plus model), no headphone jack, no FPS, and that notch.
- Configuration... I like that I can move icons around and build a Home screen that fits my needs.
- Google Maps and Waze... I use CarPlay and Android Auto. This shouldn't require additional explanation.
- S-Pen... I can now take notes on my Surface Pro or Note 8, in pen on both platforms, and edit them on either device. I use this daily. Apple provides no solution for this. I'd have three things instead of two, and have different input constraints on each of the three.
- Not boring... I've become very bored with iOS.
- Windows integration... As Microsoft has abandoned their mobile platform, they seem to be moving more to the Android side for this. I have added the Microsoft Launcher to Note 8, and its integrated much better with the Fall Creators Update continuity functions. This will continue to be better in Android than iOS because of the openness.
- Headphone jack... I use it, I want it, I don't want to carry another dongle.
- Gear S3... Better UI, looks like a watch, rotating dial vs. crown/swipe, looks like a real watch

What I don't like as much...
- Friction with iOS family... This hasn't proven to be that big of a deal, we just need to adjust like moving from Apple Music to Spotify, Photos to Google Photos, etc.. I've already abandoned much of the Apple ecosystem, so that helps.
- No Apple Store... The ability to walk into the Apple Store for support is very nice
- Updates... I'm not that worried about this, but it is a given with iOS, for good or bad.

What's the same...
- Apps ... I haven't run into too many apps that aren't pretty much the same on either platform
- Performance... I don't see this being that different... all such discussions end up being a back and forth
- Usability... After a short adjusting period and orientation, not much difference.

On a day to day basis, after a short adjustment period both Android and iOS are going to be pretty similar for most functions.

Reactions: koigirl and nrvna76

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I can't get past the prices.

I hope this trend doesn't continue. Especially of all future iPhones will look like iPhone X. I remember when these things cost $499. Now a base phone cost $700. Good grief. I guess you can get away with it when you got everyone thinking in terms of monthly payments.

This is getting out of hand.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The S pen is cool but I likely wouldn’t ever use it. I mean, I shouldn’t say never. But rarely ever. Maybe if I was still taking notes? Can it transpose notes taken in a classroom setting into type text? If so I was born a decade too soon :(

It can transpose handwriting to text in many ways. The simplest way is to just do it on the fly in the Samsung keyboard.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.