Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Hardware-wise I like the GS8 Plus more than either. iPhone X doesn't compare to the Note 8 as the Note 8 is in a different class (I'm not saying higher it's just not the same, like comparing a motorcycle and a car, you drive both of them but they're nothing alike) The GS8 or GS8 Plus is the comparable device and it's better and more slick hardware wise.

But my entire family uses iPhones and most of my friends do too. It would be a big pain in my butt to have to use Android at this point. Especially since I'm the master account holder on iTunes in my family.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
gplus2063439579-01.jpeg

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
An interesting quandary to be sure. I tend to bounce between platforms; started with iOS went to Windows Phone than to Android then back to iOS. I just like playing with new things so I bounce around a lot.

iOS feels a bit more polished in terms of its performance; it doesn't have 6gb of ram because it doesn't need it; its software tends to be a bit more polished and there are apps then come out to iOS first still. And it's an incredibly solid OS overall and when I just want things to work Apple iPhones I know are there to do it. They just work and they work well.

But then the hardware side its a bit underwhelming seeing Apple tout features that have been around already on Android devices; the Galaxy hardware is amazing.

And honestly? iOS's general interface to me personally is quite boring. I hate the grid; I hate not being able to place my icons where I want, and I don't like Apple's notification setup (Not that I am much of a fan of the endless icon rows on android but at least I can see I have things waiting for my attention)

So I can certainly understand the allure of the Note 8 heck I been staring at one in my cart for a day now and I already pre-ordered the 8 Plus from Apple. I have reservations on the Note 8 that I know will bother me; Apps will be more likely to crash than on iOS; some apps don't even exist on Android that I use yet; The Note 8 is still bigger than my 7 Plus; I don't like the whole way software is upgraded on Android either. The Pixel 2 may be a good competitor for my needs but I really like the idea of edge to edge OLED displays and optical zoom on a phone (which I use a fair bit). Plus I find the Pixel phone designs even more boring than the Apple ones.

It is a series of compromises. You do get 14 day return policies I think with all these companies. Maybe worth buying both (maybe through their respective financing programs) and seeing which one you like more and returning whichever one you don't like.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Well didn't the note 8 just come out a couple days ago? So your saying the honeymoon isn't over yet.. Android phones need 6GB of RAM to keep from stuttering, don't say they don't because my S8 does all the time. I've just installed iOS 11 a couple days ago and I have to day it looks really, really nice and MAN is it buttery smooth. I think your going to miss it. Oh yeah and hows Bixby working out?

I run iOS 11 on my iPad Pro. Really not that much different over 10 other than a few features. It is smooth, but I have noticed it lags sometimes.

Note 8 has been out for 2 weeks. I’ve had mine for a week now and it’s been great. No lag or speed issues at all.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm passing this year even though I'm due a change.
Lets hope for something better and more innovative next year..

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
The software is loads better than it used to be and SD card is ideal certainly when you don't need to pay loads for extra storage
The fact that the software is even there is the problem.

I guess that's nice FOR YOU about the SD card, but the question was which was a better buy to each of us. I don't care what other people want. I was answering the question about my own wants and desires.

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I can't be only person who thinks Android is currently years ahead of iOS. In terms of speed, background processes and just being more logical to use, it can't be beaten.

I have a work iPhone but iOS is so useless I've resigned to setting up work emails on my S8
To be fair, how is security these days with android? Tbh, i don't know other than what samsung offered.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Note 8 ordered already for me, I'm lucky enough to have two phone contracts, one personal and the other business so I alternate each year. My iPhone 7 isn't due for renewal for 12 months so I thought I'd go Note 8 this year then iPhone Xs or 11 next year. I'm tempted by the iPhone but I just fear it's really a 1st gen device and it'll take Apple a generation to perfect the technology (and bring back TouchID under the display). The Note 8 is really just an iteration of their S line.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Samsung has changed touchwiz completely where you hardly even notice it there any longer. I used it back then too and hated it.
I don't think you understand. I don't want Samsung software there AT ALL. I have no use for Samsung apps. I have no use for Samsung Pay. I have no use for Bixby. I have no use for any of that crap. I am simply not interested in using any of those over the Google apps. I don't even use the vast majority of Apple apps on my iPhone. I even deleted the iTunes Store from my iPhone. I don't use iTunes ever for music. I don't even use the Apple Apps on my Mac, either, come to think of it, except when it comes to downloading Mac OS updates.

If I don't have a use for them, I don't want them there, and I don't want to have to deal with deleting or disabling them.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
To be fair, how is security these days with android? Tbh, i don't know other than what samsung offered.

I honestly think the security is fairly good and aggressive. Better than it used to be for sure. But the fact that some phones never get patched is still a major issue. Carriers/OEMs/Google have done a lot int he past year to address pushing of security updates but outside the Pixel/Nexus line there can be issues. Samsung has really stepped up though IMO because of their desire to make their phones usable for the enterprise they push out security patches to a lot of phones and work with the carriers to ensure they get pushed.

That is just my opinion though I am sure someone with more security knowledge will chime in.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I honestly think the security is fairly good and aggressive. Better than it used to be for sure. But the fact that some phones never get patched is still a major issue. Carriers/OEMs/Google have done a lot int he past year to address pushing of security updates but outside the Pixel/Nexus line there can be issues. Samsung has really stepped up though IMO because of their desire to make their phones usable for the enterprise they push out security patches to a lot of phones and work with the carriers to ensure they get pushed.

That is just my opinion though I am sure someone with more security knowledge will chime in.
I appreciate your two cents.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Note 8 is a great phone and it might be unmatched in features and overall quality

That said it depends what software is right for you.

I've been very tempted by the note 8 but i'm so far in with apple products the x is a better option

Honestly, once you get used to Android, it behaves very similarly to ios. Lots of icons and lots of swiping. That's it. Much easier to get to where you want to go on Android, I don't get what there is to hate about Android. All apps work fine, just like they did on iOS. I ise Google cloud rather than icloud. Seamless, no difference.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Be Lying: Note 8

Be Honest: X

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Cheaper yes - better value no, better buy to me also no.

If I were to get a Note I'd have to give up to much of a business convenience that I'm used to...I wouldn't have consistent messaging across my phone, watch, tablet, laptop. I wouldn't be able to hand off calls, or commence them on my laptop consistently. Despite using caldav and cardav plugins the synching of calendaring and contacts isn't instant across devices. Photos I take do not instantly show up in my finder for inclusion on other devices or uploads.

Nope cheaper is the only thing it has got going for it for me. For others who don't have those requirements or never used it it may be different.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Cheaper yes - better value no, better buy to me also no.

If I were to get a Note I'd have to give up to much of a business convenience that I'm used to...I wouldn't have consistent messaging across my phone, watch, tablet, laptop. I wouldn't be able to hand off calls, or commence them on my laptop consistently. Despite using caldav and cardav plugins the synching of calendaring and contacts isn't instant across devices. Photos I take do not instantly show up in my finder for inclusion on other devices or uploads.

Nope cheaper is the only thing it has got going for it for me. For others who don't have those requirements or never used it it may be different.

You are speaking from the perspective of users in US. For users in the rest of the world Apple iMessage/ eco-system is just a non-starter.

Reactions: Demo Kit

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

I love that someone was actually annoyed with an Apple product enough to actually make this image...I will never get why people treat their choice of phone OS or manufacturer as a religion or something.

I'll just add that I went Note 8 but have since changed my mind and will be returning it in anticipation of the X. The battery is what finally pushed me over the edge here, two weeks old and I'm already having issues with the battery dying too fast :/

justdefend

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
After waiting for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X keynote, I decided on the Note 8. Set it up yesterday and it is a beauty. Has the features I like from my 7 Plus - fingerprint scanner, home button, and NFC payment (Samsung Pay) with the Infinity Edge AMOLED and no camera bump. When this thing is playing video in landscape on a 6.3-inch display, the quality is insane. I'm reserving a bit of judgment regarding the X notch but fullscreen playback is definitely not compromised here.

I definitely did not want Face ID to be the only login method and swiping up each time to go home rather than using a button seems odd, particularly when the X has a lengthier display to incorporate a virtual one. Went two years with iPhone and now I'm back on Android. I'll wait until next year to see what the next X has to see if I'll head back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.