Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I've had my share of Android and Windows Phones. Android works for what you need it to if, and only if, you get proper updates and buy a flagship phone. iOS provides me with everything I need and more. It's great! I don't really care for Android anymore. Then again with all the cheap models that get produced it's hard to enjoy a product with minimal storage.

I say iPhone, but if all of your items work and you want the stylus and feel Samsung is a worthy brand (which they are) then choose the Note 8. The great thing is we still have choices available.

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
Next year, we will see samsung introducing their new bendable screen technology for the android phones. And Apple? Well...Apple will get rid of the notch.
[doublepost=1505451745][/doublepost]
I have been thinking hard about this, and plan to check out the Note 8 and S8 tomorrow. I have had an iphone from the very first one, and the 7 Plus is the first I do not enjoy using. Meanwhile, Samsung owners seems to love their phones. I figure I'll try it for two weeks and see how it goes. As for iPhone X... not even a consideration for me. Doesn't have any new, practical features that I care about. Ditto for the iPhone 8.

gigiwong

Suspended
Sep 13, 2017
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

So Apple kind of forces you to buy 256gb then ha ha

Jmoc916

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016
CA*
I love IOS. I have a Apple TV, IPad Pro 9.7, Apple Watch Series 2 (black SS link), AirPods and the new MacBook. So this is coming from a highly invested Apple guy. I used to Note 7 before the issues... enjoyed it a LOT. I am currently using the note 8. I absolutely LOVE it. I do miss IOS time to time... and I may even look into the "X"... but I am not sure about the design. The notch at the top is strange. I would have to feel the phone in my hand to decide. The phone seems smaller than what I'm used to... regardless of the screen increase.

I am posting this with my iPad now... never been the highest on android. But this phone is quick, the freedom to download apps, torrents, basically use like a computer is a nice breath of fresh air. I think next years newer iPhone model will send me back to apple if I decide not to try it out .

This is also coming from someone with an IPhone 7+ for work, but I get all geeky with tech.

I feel people who completely bash one or the other, or say "iOS" only for me may have not given quality android phones a chance lately. I remember having the S3 and it wasn't close. They are very similar now.
[doublepost=1505457893][/doublepost]
Next year, we will see samsung introducing their new bendable screen technology for the android phones. And Apple? Well...Apple will get rid of the notch.
[doublepost=1505451745][/doublepost]

I really cant imagine what a bendable screen would be useful for? Turning into a mini tablet? Media and multi view? They would need to make this amazing and .... not ugly.. to be even appealing

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I highly recommend you watch YouTube videos on all of the S-pen features. There's so many helpful things it can do that people don't realize, so they miss out on a lot of convenient features that have nothing to do with drawing on the screen.

I have always been impressed with the S Pen with the Note series. It's something that I always wish Apple would have implemented, but I understand that's likely not in line with their views. But I do commend Samsung with the S Pen and it's functionality.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
IMG_1056.PNG
I'm gonna just drop this and let the picture tell the story, nuff said. The Note is on a different league due to advanced hardware. I know it's not the X comparison but look at the brightness difference.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Android is horrible, so event though Note 8 looks nice will be iOS and X for me.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Android is much more polished than you fan boys realize. It has come a long way over the past 3 years, and between hardware and software of many Android phones now surpasses the iPhone. The problem is Apple now has you locked in their ecosystem, and you're stuck. I pity you...

More polished? I dont think so. Care to give me some examples.
[doublepost=1505478734][/doublepost]
View attachment 717874 I'm gonna just drop this and let the picture tell the story, nuff said. The Note is on a different league due to advanced hardware. I know it's not the X comparison but look at the brightness difference.

does this one explode too or was that feature fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
I preordered the Note 8 at Best Buy on Tuesday after Apple’s keynote. I plan on getting the X as well.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

To me there is only one choice between iOS and Android.

8+ 256 ordered to arrive next Friday.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Currently using an S8 while trying to decide between the X or 8+. I've been using the S8 for a month and I hate Samsung's software. I also hate the unnatural looking photos that it takes.

The hardware is nice, though. I now know that if I tried Android again, I'd never get a Samsung device.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think between the two devices i think the note 8 is the better phone but the OS is the the deciding factor for me and how it syncs with everything else.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
View attachment 717874 I'm gonna just drop this and let the picture tell the story, nuff said. The Note is on a different league due to advanced hardware. I know it's not the X comparison but look at the brightness difference.
This kind of feels like a e-peen example. I never have my 7+ on max brightness, it's just too bright for me. Samsung's SAMOLED screens are drop dead gorgeous, no doubt (I have a S8+ for work), but iOS wins for me. If they offered a Note 8 with iOS? Sure, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
This kind of feels like a e-peen example. I never have my 7+ on max brightness, it's just too bright for me. Samsung's SAMOLED screens are drop dead gorgeous, no doubt (I have a S8+ for work), but iOS wins for me. If they offered a Note 8 with iOS? Sure, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

"Nobody wants a stylus." Oh wait...unless its called a pencil.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
This is the second keynote that hasn't gotten me excited. I am excited about the Note. Switching is kind of a pain. My only integration is Apple Watch and my wife's iPhone so I need to find replacements/workarounds for:

Wearable (probably a gear fit)
iMessage (might use FB messenger)
A way to share health stats with iPhone
What to do with my iCloud
Shared calendars (I've read a few options)

These aren't huge hurdles but it makes it harder than just getting the next iPhone and moving on..

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
My opinion is extremely biased, but I would opt for the iPhone X without hesitation. My reason is simple - I don't like Android. No matter how great the Note 8 hardware may be, the operating system, particularly Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, is an automatic dealbreaker for me.

This.

I've been on Android since inception that is until I switched to 7+ when it was released September last year. I cannot believe what I was missing with iOS. The speed and reliability are unparalleled and I was happy to give up the notion of Androids customization capability for something that just worked and worked all the time.

In many instances Android phones do have better hardware but after my experience with iOS I would find it extremely difficult to give it up for any hardware. Like many I was disappointed by the iphone X and seriously considered the Note 8 and am even waiting to see what the Pixel 2 will end up being like but may just end up going with the iphone x simply because of iOS.

***EDIT: Just wanted to add that I did not adopt the rest of the Apple ecosystem (macbook pro and ipad) until several months after buying the iphone. Definitely dont feel trapped by the ecosystem because I see it as a selling point. I'm equally a part of the google ecosystem (gmail, google docs, google calendar etc) which I'm able to use very well on the apple ecosystem.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I cannot believe what I was missing with iOS. The speed and reliability are unparalleled and I was happy to give up the notion of Androids customization capability for something that just worked and worked all the time.

This is exactly the reason why I will not give up iOS. I also find the app quality to be generally better on it, which is most likely due to the fact that Apple has a stricter approval process than Google.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Had S7 and Note 7. Samsung skin over Android sucks. iOS software and optimization are nothing to joke around.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
This is exactly the reason why I will not give up iOS. I also find the app quality to be generally better on it, which is most likely due to the fact that Apple has a stricter approval process than Google.

I wanted to mention this as well but didnt want to make my post too long.

You are absolutely correct about the app store curation. People on the android side see this as a negative - hell I used to see this as a negative - but that control Apple exudes ensures that I never encounter a rogue app that either drains my battery or is a privacy concern (in my experience)

Not to mention that in many instances not only do developers make their apps available on iOS first but they are often of better quality. In my opinion (shared by many others) google apps on iOS are actually a better experience than on android which I find ironic.

I am by no means an apple fanboy in reality I've only been using iOS a year but at this point in my life iOS just works better for me. I no longer have the inclination to find which app is draining my batter, clear cache, restart every week, factory reset etc ... And any android user who says this doesn't happen anymore is not being objective. I bought my brother an S8+ when it launched in April and we already had an instance where an app drained his battery 13% overnight and we had to factory reset once because the GPS had gone wonky.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Neither for me. iPhone X is too expensive and feels first gen. I'll wait next year and see how they improve on it. The Note 8 is nice but too big for me and I dont have a use for the S-Pen which is the main selling point. I have a 6s+ now and will most likely be getting an 8+ soon.

Reactions: cakebytheocean

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
I wanted to mention this as well but didnt want to make my post too long.

You are absolutely correct about the app store curation. People on the android side see this as a negative - hell I used to see this as a negative - but that control Apple exudes ensures that I never encounter a rogue app that either drains my battery or is a privacy concern (in my experience)

Not to mention that in many instances not only do developers make their apps available on iOS first but they are often of better quality. In my opinion (shared by many others) google apps on iOS are actually a better experience than on android which I find ironic.

I am by no means an apple fanboy in reality I've only been using iOS a year but at this point in my life iOS just works better for me. I no longer have the inclination to find which app is draining my batter, clear cache, restart every week, factory reset etc ... And any android user who says this doesn't happen anymore is not being objective. I bought my brother an S8+ when it launched in April and we already had an instance where an app drained his battery 13% overnight and we had to factory reset once because the GPS had gone wonky.

I like apple products just fine as well as android devices from select manufacturers but nothing at all has my heart more than that note 8 etc and the spenI use it/will use it all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.