Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'll see how the iPhone x does when it comes out then I'll decide if it's worth buying. Don't get me wrong the note 8 looks like an awesome phone. I'll go for a 64gb because I'm not paying the outrageous extra for a bunch of storage I don't need.
Really don't need the extra storage or talking self into it so ipx seems cheaper ??

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Quick list showing what Note 8 has over IPX.

Hardware

- S-PEN
- Large 6.3 OLED infinity WQHD+ display with max 1200nits brightness
- Headphone jack
- Fingerprint / IRIS Scanner
- Dual SIM card (some countries)
- MicroSD card support (additional 256 GB)
- Built-in heart rate/SP02 sensor
- IP68 water resistant rating
- USB/UTG support
- HDMI out - supports full 4K screen output to TV
- LED Notification Light
- Front camera 8MP with f/1.7

Connectivity

- WIFI Display (or miracast) built-in. Mirror phone screen to any wifi-capable TV without any additional setup/intermediate hardware (like apple tv). Coupled with a wireless mouse/keyboard via UTG to phone then you have pseudo-desktop.

- DLNA built-in support : stream music/video to any DLNA enabled devices without needing any setup.

- SIDESYNC : operate phone from any PC/mac within wifi network. Phone screen appears as a virtual window in PC/mac. You can use PC mouse/speaker/mic to make calls or continue an editing session or run any apps in the phone from the PC. Similar to Iphone hand-off/continuity but more flexible.

- DEX docking station- transform phone into a full desktop.

- Transfer any files between ANY devices via Wifi-Direct / BT. No additional setup/hardware requirement.

- Plug in portable disk/thumbdrive/mouse/gamepad directly to phone using usb cable. Quickly transfer out your files/photos/videos. Or just play a video off your portable drive. Or use a gamepad to play games. Or use mouse to interact with phone.

- Play music to 2 different sound devices via BT 5.0 (e.g. share music to 2 BT headsets). Also set individual app to specific sound source e.g. waze to always output sound to phone speakers and music players to BT. Using sound assistant you can set up different sound profiles depending on situations. Use Adapt Sound to fine tune sound to match you.

- Samsung Pay - can be used at more outlets (since it supports both NFC and magnetic strip)

- File System: something fundamental that we have been using (that's missing from Iphone).

- VR headset support - a whole new experience for you to explore

- With Samsung Connect + SmartThings Hub - provide an integrated system to connect/manage your TV/fridge/appliances or home audio/visual and home accessories like lights/sensors.

- Samsung Flow - to connect/integrate with Windows eco-system.

- Download Booster - combine both LTE and Wifi download simultaneously

OS / Software

AOD - always on display. simple and yet very useful. Plus you can theme it as well.

Multi-Window - run apps in separate top/bottom windows or popup windows simultaneously. e.g continue to view you tube while you are doing a whatsapp chat.

Secure Folder - it is like a second login environment. It has a separate copy of system settings. You can install second copy of your app here and it runs in its own seperate data space. e.g. you can concurrently run 2 copies of whatsapp (one for work number and the other personal) and get notify at the same time. Or setup another Exchange account to sync work email which is only viewable in secure folder.

Game launcher - a separate environment to launch games. You can set sound, notify on/off, no accidental touches, boost performance etc

Immersive mode - set the top status or bottom navigation (or both) to auto-hide to maximise screen area. Can set exclusion for certain apps. Can have floating panel with home, back, task buttons for easy one handed use.

Set default app - you can set your own app to be default app to open different kind of files/data. Or change the soft keyboard.

Shortcut - create shortcuts to anything: one touch direct dial/sms, directly open battery usage in Settings, open specific screen of an app directly etc. Place shortcuts anywhere - in homescreen, notification, side panel etc.

Home/Launcher - fully customizable with themes, widgets, icon packs and live wallpapers - no more boring grid of icons. You can also use other launchers as well. Personalize your UI anyway you like.

Smart Lock - auto unlock when phone is connected to certain pre-specified locations (incl BT/Wifi/geo locations)

Side panels - customizable with many useful add-on panels as well.

Samsung Health - you can have widget to show your steps, measure your heart rate/sp02/stress, track your workouts all using the phone only.

Play/App Store: Many app stores to choose from. You can also side-load apps giving you more flexibilities and cost benefits.

Other Niceties - (1) record phone calls. (2) smart stay to keep screen on while you are looking at it. (3) Screen recorder to record what's happening on screen (4) answer call by pressing volume key (5) reduce UI size for one handed use (6) take continuous screen shot (7) flip phone over to mute call (8) quickly launch camera by double press power button (9) wave hand in front to wake up device (10)

Automation

There are unlimited possibilities with Android multi-tasking capability. You can setup tasks which the phone can do automatically for you. This opens up quite a lot of use cases NOT possible with Iphone. Some examples you can have running in your phone.

- auto set ring/network profile depending on situations (at home/work/outdoors)
- auto send SMS when near pickup location (great if you pick up someone regularly)
- redirect important calls to covering when you are engaged.
- start call recording when calls from certain persons.
- auto change wallpaper based on events.
- mute/unmute ring based on calendar meetings.
- timed ring profile.
- tap on NFC sticker - initiated certain tasks.
- auto send canned SMS to birthday
- pull files from certain ftp/http locations to phone periodically or when certain parameters changed
- selective sync from cloud storage to local folders
- auto start/close apps when certain app is started.
- start music app when headphone is plug in
- start certain app(s) on phone remotely or using a SMS.
-set screen to landscape when certain apps are launched.
-auto read out received sms/whatsapp under certain preset conditions like driving/phone turned over/etc
- and many many more.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Let me put it to you this way...

Even if your question was “iPhone 7 or Note 8, my answer still wouldn’t be Note 8.

Rinse, lather, repeat all the way down to iPhone 6.

Reactions: mdkdue

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
The iPhone X, of course. I don't like Samsung phones. The lag and lack of updates is too much for me to bear.

The lack of updates and fragmentation are big problems with any Android phone that's not a Pixel. One would think that Google would have this resolved after 9 years. Let's not forget the bloatware, either.

Reactions: cakebytheocean

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The lack of updates and fragmentation are big problems with any Android phone that's not a Pixel. One would think that Google would have this resolved after 9 years. Let's not forget the bloatware, either.

Only uninformed iphone users think lack of updates in Android is a big problem.

85% of smart phone users in world (using Android) are continuing to do what they need to do with their phones on a daily basis without any issues. In China, majority use Android phones doing e-commerce/online (using system like WeChat) that will put people using/touting Apple eco-system to shame. All done on Androids with various OS versions. These people will think you are crazy if you tell them Android is unusable because it has BIG "fragmentation" problems.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Only uninformed iphone users think lack of updates in Android is a big problem.

85% of smart phone users in world (using Android) are continuing to do what they need to do with their phones on a daily basis without any issues. In China, majority use Android phones doing e-commerce/online (using system like WeChat) that will put people using/touting Apple eco-system to shame. All done on Androids with various OS versions. These people will think you are crazy if you tell them Android is unusable because it has BIG "fragmentation" problems.

I'm quite well informed when it comes to Android. As mentioned above, I used Android since the very first commercially released Android phone until September 2014, having had around 10-12 different phones in that timeframe. Just because a phone running a 4 year old version of Android is usable doesn't automatically make fragmentation OK. I'm sure Windows 95 is perfectly usable as well.

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB

Have the S7 Edge. I get updates monthly. I also easily disable any apps I don't want. Done.

Reactions: fsfty

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Have the S7 Edge. I get updates monthly. I also easily disable any apps I don't want. Done.

Those are monthly security patches. I should have been more specific and referred explicitly to major updates. Speaking of disabling apps, when I got my wife the unlocked S8 a few months ago, I had to disable over 30 bloat apps. I'd hate to even imagine how many bloat apps would be on the carrier variant. Let's not forget the fact that carriers, at least in the US and Canada, control the updates on their device versions and decide when you will get them, if at all.

If Android works for you, that's great. The smartphone world would be a very boring place if there was only one OS. For me, having had extensive experience with Android, I decided that I prefer iOS.

Reactions: cakebytheocean

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
Android is much more polished than you realize. It has come a long way over the past 3 years, and between hardware and software of many Android phones now surpasses the iPhone. The problem is Apple now has you locked in their ecosystem, and you're stuck. I pity you...

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Android is much more polished than you realize. It has come a long way over the past 3 years, and between hardware and software of many Android phones now surpasses the iPhone. The problem is Apple now has you locked in their ecosystem, and you're stuck. I pity you...

Which version of Android are you referring to? The stock or the dozens of skinned versions that are floating around?

Last edited by a moderator:

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
As someone said earlier, the two aren't really comparable as they're not the same type of device - but I'd choose the iPX any day. Just not a fan of Samsung phones. The S8 is quite pretty to look at, though.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
Those are monthly security patches. I should have been more specific and referred explicitly to major updates. Speaking of disabling apps, when I got my wife the unlocked S8 a few months ago, I had to disable over 30 bloat apps. I'd hate to even imagine how many bloat apps would be on the carrier variant. Let's not forget the fact that carriers, at least in the US and Canada, control the updates on their device versions and decide when you will get them, if at all.

If Android works for you, that's great. The smartphone world would be a very boring place if there was only one OS. For me, having had extensive experience with Android, I decided that I prefer iOS.

The update world in Android is not perfect. I'll admit. But I've already received Nougat and I will get Oreo as well. So two major updates and all security updates. It's much better than it was when it comes to updates.

But yes, you're right, the updates come directly from Apple and on time for iPhone. That is truly one of the benefits using an iPhone. There is no doubt about that.

But that is only one of the benefits and updates are certainly getting better with Android and major phones on the platform. The spread is not anywhere near as bad as people try to make it out to be. Not anymore.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I realised i have to get two phones. So 1 will be 8 plus because it's better buy and 1 note 8.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm quite well informed when it comes to Android. As mentioned above, I used Android since the very first commercially released Android phone until September 2014, having had around 10-12 different phones in that timeframe. Just because a phone running a 4 year old version of Android is usable doesn't automatically make fragmentation OK. I'm sure Windows 95 is perfectly usable as well.

If you say fragmentation is not OK, then what is the real impact?

People using Android 5.0 are going on about their e-business/online stuff (with WeChat/Whatsapp etc) with no difference from those using v8.0. There is no problem here. (btw: if this is iOS not android you will be dead in the water).

You said it yourself... "perfectly usable". If it is perfectly usable then there is no issues and if there is no issues then fragmentation is not an issue. You have cars from 10 years ago where the "OS" (aka engine) has not been updated to the latest engine. It is just silly to quibble that the 10 year-old car is "problematic" (when it is still running fine)

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I'll never do Android unless Google actually controls the OS and updates are universal and released from the mothership ie. Google. Fragmentation with Android is horrible - there's no cohesive anything - and the differences in the UI makes it look more like each new version Google releases is yet another alpha product in development. Bottom line - Android is a mashup phone OS.

The only thing it has going for it is that you're not locked down that tight, rooting and going beyond the boundaries is much easier than iOS jailbroken.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Note 8, the S-pen is a game changer if you actually take the time to see everything it can do. Hint: it can do way more than just draw pictures on your screen.

Oh, and for those of you who keep talking about lag, get out from under your rock already. Android and touchwiz of today are very smooth. There's just as much frame drops/stutters in iOS as there is on android.

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
I'll never do Android unless Google actually controls the OS and updates are universal and released from the mothership ie. Google. Fragmentation with Android is horrible - there's no cohesive anything - and the differences in the UI makes it look more like each new version Google releases is yet another alpha product in development. Bottom line - Android is a mashup phone OS.

So get a Pixel. Pixel 2 is coming out October 4th I believe. Straight from Google and updates from Google. Just like Apple. Problem solved. It's quite easy.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
If you had the Note 7, the Note 8 is what the 8+ is to the 7+.

It's just the overheating and explosions took over the narrative of what the phone could actually do.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
I have been thinking hard about this, and plan to check out the Note 8 and S8 tomorrow. I have had an iphone from the very first one, and the 7 Plus is the first I do not enjoy using. Meanwhile, Samsung owners seems to love their phones. I figure I'll try it for two weeks and see how it goes. As for iPhone X... not even a consideration for me. Doesn't have any new, practical features that I care about. Ditto for the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Demo Kit

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Depends on whether you are ready to change ecosystems. Android is a different beast without everything you are used to having with iOS. Try it and see if you like it. I did and got rid of the Note 8 in 2 days. Not because the device or OS was terrible but because it wasnt iOS.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I have been thinking hard about this, and plan to check out the Note 8 and S8 tomorrow. I have had an iphone from the very first one, and the 7 Plus is the first I do not enjoy using. Meanwhile, Samsung owners seems to love their phones. I figure I'll try it for two weeks and see how it goes. As for iPhone X... not even a consideration for me. Doesn't have any new, practical features that I care about. Ditto for the iPhone 8.

I highly recommend you watch YouTube videos on all of the S-pen features. There's so many helpful things it can do that people don't realize, so they miss out on a lot of convenient features that have nothing to do with drawing on the screen.

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.