Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cakebytheocean

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
I like apple products just fine as well as android devices from select manufacturers but nothing at all has my heart more than that note 8 etc and the spenI use it/will use it all the time

I hear ya and totally get it - the hardware is on point. If the note 8 ran stock android I'd have a serious conundrum and would definitely be walking around with two phones.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I wanted to mention this as well but didnt want to make my post too long.

You are absolutely correct about the app store curation. People on the android side see this as a negative - hell I used to see this as a negative - but that control Apple exudes ensures that I never encounter a rogue app that either drains my battery or is a privacy concern (in my experience)

Not to mention that in many instances not only do developers make their apps available on iOS first but they are often of better quality. In my opinion (shared by many others) google apps on iOS are actually a better experience than on android which I find ironic.

I am by no means an apple fanboy in reality I've only been using iOS a year but at this point in my life iOS just works better for me. I no longer have the inclination to find which app is draining my batter, clear cache, restart every week, factory reset etc ... And any android user who says this doesn't happen anymore is not being objective. I bought my brother an S8+ when it launched in April and we already had an instance where an app drained his battery 13% overnight and we had to factory reset once because the GPS had gone wonky.

Agreed on all counts. When I was an Android user, I used to love tinkering with my phones. I've spent a good amount of time rooting and installing homebrew ROMs on my devices, with the intention of making them work better, or to install an updated software version whenever the official version was delayed by the OEM or the carrier. Eventually, I realized that I shouldn't have to spend more time tinkering with my phone than actually using it for its intended purpose. That's when I decided to give iOS a try and, the two times that I did give Android a shot afterwards, I was back to my iPhone within a few days. This has nothing to do with fanboyism. I prefer iOS because it works better for me.

Reactions: cakebytheocean

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I can't be only person who thinks Android is currently years ahead of iOS. In terms of speed, background processes and just being more logical to use, it can't be beaten.

I have a work iPhone but iOS is so useless I've resigned to setting up work emails on my S8

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
LOL...Uh huh. That's why more than 80% of the world's population uses it. You bet.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to turn this into another "fandroid vs isheep" argument, just pointing out another fact.

Since Android is an open source, free-to-use software, there is a plethora of low end Android phones around the world (most probably still running Gingerbread or ICS), specifically in the developing countries. Do you think that's because it's a superior operating system or that the people using those phones even know what version software they are running?

Edit: It should really be Lollipop and Marshmallow, which comprise a lion's share of Android's current install base.

http://wccftech.com/android-distribution-september-2017/

Reactions: cakebytheocean

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think did to android letting you do what you want and set it out how you want what software it's on doesn't matter as much where on IOS you are expecting upgrades to the software each year where android those kind of improvements aren't as needed

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Unless the Note 8 is getting iMessage and the other "i" suite options, no thanks.

And that finger print position, gross.

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
The impatient part of me says "get the Note 8...you already know you love the form factor" the other part of me is saying "you are already too invested in the Apple Ecosystem."

Definitely waiting.

Reactions: dexterie

ItnStln

Suspended
Aug 29, 2017
I can't be only person who thinks Android is currently years ahead of iOS. In terms of speed, background processes and just being more logical to use, it can't be beaten.

I have a work iPhone but iOS is so useless I've resigned to setting up work emails on my S8

I'm the same way as you.

Reactions: fsfty

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?
As someone who used Android from 2010 until the launch of the 6s Plus, the Note 8 is a phone that I will NEVER buy. What would I be getting with the Note 8? Samsung's gross, disgusting, Android-ruining software. I absolutely do not want that.

And I do not care about an SD card. I had it before with Android. Did I need it? No.

If I go back to Android, I will only go back to a Pixel or Nexus-like experience.

ItnStln

Suspended
Aug 29, 2017
Unless the Note 8 is getting iMessage and the other "i" suite options, no thanks.

And that finger print position, gross.

TBH, iMessage is the only reason I carry one Android and one iPhone instead of two Andrpid devices. When I had Verizon I used Message+ and it worked great however at&t doesn't have anything like it.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
I'm happy with the 64 gb option, but it's still overpriced. I also think it's an ugly phone regardless. The vertical camera makes me want to puke. I'd love to own the google pixel 2 at this point, but I rather pay for the iPhone x only because I'm an Apple consumer. iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, iphone.. it's like a marriage. For better and for worse. I don't believe in cheating.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Note 8. I upgraded from having iPhones which my last one is the 7 plus. My Note 8 does circles around my iphone any day of the week. Have no lag issues, awesome screen, camera, 6gb of memory, customization, spen and all the features spen comes with, better battery life, and so on. I do miss iMessage, iOS keyboard, and Apple Support. But I haven’t looked back since getting it. It also charges so much faster than the iPhone ever did.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
As someone who used Android from 2010 until the launch of the 6s Plus, the Note 8 is a phone that I will NEVER buy. What would I be getting with the Note 8? Samsung's gross, disgusting, Android-ruining software. I absolutely do not want that.

And I do not care about an SD card. I had it before with Android. Did I need it? No.

If I go back to Android, I will only go back to a Pixel or Nexus-like experience.

Your experience from back then is completely different than now. Samsung has changed touchwiz completely where you hardly even notice it there any longer. I used it back then too and hated it. Now it’s great. So please do not compare that old tech to todays.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Note 8. I upgraded from having iPhones which my last one is the 7 plus. My Note 8 does circles around my iphone any day of the week. Have no lag issues, awesome screen, camera, 6gb of memory, customization, spen and all the features spen comes with, better battery life, and so on. I do miss iMessage, iOS keyboard, and Apple Support. But I haven’t looked back since getting it. It also charges so much faster than the iPhone ever did.

Well didn't the note 8 just come out a couple days ago? So your saying the honeymoon isn't over yet.. Android phones need 6GB of RAM to keep from stuttering, don't say they don't because my S8 does all the time. I've just installed iOS 11 a couple days ago and I have to day it looks really, really nice and MAN is it buttery smooth. I think your going to miss it. Oh yeah and hows Bixby working out?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Sounds like everyone has different experiences. Android I hated switching apps. It seemed to take forever. IOS everything loads in the blink of an eye. And I'm on an SE. Just saying

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

The software is loads better than it used to be and SD card is ideal certainly when you don't need to pay loads for extra storage

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

I wouldn't say you "way overpay" for 256gb.

Last year the upgrade from base to 256gb was $200. This year your upgrade from base to 256gb is $150 with the base (of the iPhone 8) starting at $50 higher. So if anything it's the same upgrade pricing of storage but you have to buy more storage.

It does suck that there is no 128gb option as that is the sweet spot right now. But that's the price you gotta pay to play in the Apple ballpark.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sounds like everyone has different experiences. Android I hated switching apps. It seemed to take forever. IOS everything loads in the blink of an eye. And I'm on an SE. Just saying

You mean multitasking? 6GB of ram seems to of helped a lot with this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.