Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Does anyone else have experience of caring for a loved one or partner? For several years now I have been my mothers main carer, she has vascular dementia and COPD, among other things. Some time ago when she was well, she was my carer when I had serious mental health problems. For the moment we are getting by ok, just. I can manage here at home, but if she does get significantly worse she may need to go into a full time care home. I know she would hate this.

The difficult thing is knowing that she won’t get better, she will just get worse until one of the problems kills her. I wish I could make her well again, but that’s not possible.

I really don’t know what will be the biggest problem first, her breathing or the dementia. At any time now something could go badly wrong. I get by, by taking it one day at a time and not thinking about the future too much.

It can be very difficult at times, but it is a privilege to care for her, she has always been such a lovely person.

Have you been in a similar situation?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Made me cry a little reading this. You’re a good person and good to your mother. I understand that it can be hard but I wish the both of you the very best.

I’ve fortunately not yet have to be in that position. But I’ll call my own mum for a chat now. She’s been very ill a few times now and some have given her long term issues but she’s still capable of taking care of herself. At least with my dad there too. She’s had both lung and breast cancer but recovered from both through surgery and chemo and radiation. My brothers, dad and I were with her through that but it was never really like your situation. But it still makes you think about the time you have left and how quickly things can change. When my mum got lung cancer the doctors thought it’d be terminal at first because lung cancer is rarely discovered fast enough. But we were lucky with that one.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Made me cry a little reading this. You’re a good person and good to your mother. I understand that it can be hard but I wish the both of you the very best.

I’ve fortunately not yet have to be in that position. But I’ll call my own mum for a chat now. She’s been very ill a few times now and some have given her long term issues but she’s still capable of taking care of herself. At least with my dad there too. She’s had both lung and breast cancer but recovered from both through surgery and chemo and radiation. My brothers, dad and I were with her through that but it was never really like your situation. But it still makes you think about the time you have left and how quickly things can change. When my mum got lung cancer the doctors thought it’d be terminal at first because lung cancer is rarely discovered fast enough. But we were lucky with that one.
Thank you for your kind words! I’m very pleased your mum got through cancer, it’s such a scary thing. So much more common now. I always think, no matter what your position in life, whether you’re the person with the private jet and supercar, or the person just coming in off the streets into shelter. We all have to lose our parents and it’s always almost impossibly hard. I just count myself lucky I’ve had her for a mother. She tried for 12 years to get pregnant and the doctors said she couldn’t have children. So every moment I have I consider a blessing, and I am very grateful.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Does anyone else have experience of caring for a loved one or partner?
Yes.

I cared for my mother - who had vascular dementia - for the best part of a decade until her death, in her own bed, in her own bedroom, in our home, with the three of us - her three children, my two brothers and I - holding her hands - just before midnight on the night of 21st December 2018.

For several years now I have been my mothers main carer, she has vascular dementia and COPD, among other things. Some time ago when she was well, she was my carer when I had serious mental health problems. For the moment we are getting by ok, just. I can manage here at home, but if she does get significantly worse she may need to go into a full time care home. I know she would hate this.
I hear you.
The difficult thing is knowing that she won’t get better, she will just get worse until one of the problems kills her. I wish I could make her well again, but that’s not possible.
This feeling, - and frustration - I very well remember.
I really don’t know what will be the biggest problem first, her breathing or the dementia.
The dementia.

Unless she suffers from a (pre-existing) physical condition that involves her lungs (and compromises her breathing) - which is entirely separate from dementia - this will not - ought not be a problem until the very very end, when pneumonia seems to be one of the conditions to which people who suffer from advanced dementia may be prone.

At any time now something could go badly wrong. I get by, by taking it one day at a time and not thinking about the future too much.
Taking it one day at a time is all that you can do, and all that you can ask of yourself.
It can be very difficult at times, but it is a privilege to care for her, she has always been such a lovely person.
Again, I hear you, and can only empathise with you.
Have you been in a similar situation?
The first thing I wish to say (write?) to you is that you have my profound sympathy.

This is a heart-breaking and soul-destroying and emotionally exhausting and physically draining condition to have to deal with.

If someone had told me in 2012 (which is when my mother was formally diagnosed, although she had been deteriorating for a few years immediately preceding that) what we could expect to face, I think I would have wanted to crawl under a rock and hoped to hibernate for at least a decade.

A few words of advice, hewn from that rock, the school of life, informed by my experiences:

1: This is A Marathon, not A Sprint.

I cannot stress this enough - this is a marathon, not a sprint: You will need to pace yourself, try to take time and space for yourself, (and I know - having "been there, done that, bought and worn the proverbial t-shirt" - I know all too well that you will wish to give everything of yourself to try to assist the person whom you love when and while they are assailed by this condition in order to ameliorate their lot).

This is a marathon that can run for a decade or longer, not a broken ankle or some other surgery that will heal in weeks, or months, after which, you can withdraw and return to your own life.

However, I mean this, - the advice to pace yourself intelligently, not to subsume yourself entirely (and that will be exceptionally difficult) in the needs of the person to be cared for.

This is because, if you do not pace yourself intelligently, you will burn out, and carer burnout is one of the main reasons (night time wandering - the so-called "sun-downing" - leading to loss of sleep for the carer as they have to be alert all of the time - is another, and violence, is a third) - anyway, carer burnout is one of the reasons why people with dementia end up in care homes.

2: New Normal:

Recognise that, from now on, your life (professional, perhaps, but above all, personal), will change (I found this extremely difficult to accept), and will be utterly transformed, as the needs of the person to be cared for will not only take a prominent position in your life, but will come to dominate it completely, leaching into, seeping into, pouring into, almost all considerations and conversations.

This is a New Normal, the world of caring for someone with dementia.

In the last few years of my mother's life, there were a few occasions where my brothers and I would set out a specific period of a few hours - perhaps, meet in a pub - where we would deliberately decide - have decided in advance - to discuss anything except my mother (and we all adored her) and her care needs.

However, there is no shame in being angry, (raging, in fact), stressed, exhausted, distressed, frustrated, (people with dementia can sometimes be very trying) upset and admitting this.

You are a carer, and you are doing your best, you are not auditioning for sainthood.

3: Learn to accept that which is not perfect. You are not perfect. What is good is not the enemy of what is the very best.

This is where - despite your own desires, (which means that you will wish to give the very best of care for your mother) which, when you fall short of perfection, and you will fall short, far short, of perfection - you will need to learn to accept that "the best", is not "perfection" (and do not berate or punish yourself for falling short of perfection), but "my best", the very best of what you can do - physically, psychologically, emotionally and mentally.

4: Prioritise and Prune:

Prioritise (and try to do) what can be done by you and those close to you, and delegate - or bribe, bully, buy - what you cannot.

And jettison - or forego, or ruthlessly prune - that which is irrelevant, or unimportant, be they tasks or people. You cannot do everything, which means that some things (and/or people) may well need to be let go.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, but, ask within reason.

More important, don't be afraid, (or too proud) to accept (genuine) offers of help, and (informed) advice (the sort that comes with experience).

Some people will say "phone me if you need anything", and - in my experience (with the caveat or exception of unless you know the person in question exceedingly well, and thus, know the offer to be genuine)- these offers are both useless and worthless.

What is "anything"? You will be afraid to take (or be thought to take) advantage, or to ask for 'too much', which means, in practice, that you will ask for nothing.

Far better is someone (who will - almost inevitably and invariably - have lived through a similar experience and thus, will have known what it is to do so) - who will say something along the lines of "I'm heading to the pharmacy/shop/town - is there anything you need"? "I'm heading to the bottle bank, do you want me to take your empty bottles and dispose of them?" "Can I run you anywhere?" "I'll sit with your mother for an hour or two, while you head out for a coffee/walk/visit to a bookshop?")- in other words, a specific offer, a practical offer, that lies well within their capability to deliver - which they will wish to want to do - and that they know you may well need to have done and will be more than grateful for.

Accept such genuine and sincere offers.

5: Set Limits:

Do not be afraid to set limits.

Or boundaries.

Boundaries include ignoring (or excluding) morons who attempt to lecture (or judge) you (when you will fall short), while doing (or contributing) next to nothing themselves.

Set a rule that if someone is not actively involved in your mother's care (or, in some other way, is of genuine assistance to you, or supportive of you), then, that they have no say whatsoever in your mother's care and that their input is neither sought nor relevant nor heeded nor necessary nor needed. Put bluntly, if they are not actively supportive, what is happening is none of their business.

You will find (well, I did) that your tolerance for everyday, quotidian, idiocy is sharply curtailed.

You will get fed up (and sometimes infuriated) - well, I did - at how everyone seems to ask for (or after, or about) your mother, but few will realise the demands made on you.

You will find small talk moronic and barely endurable (and I have worked as a diplomat) because you are so emotionally exhausted, and you will find the witless self-absorption of imbeciles impossible (the clowns who complain about preposterous trivia while your adored mother has reverted to the hilarity and heart-breaking behaviour of childhood).

Three things lead to people ending up in care homes - despite many of them having loving families.

The first is carer burn out: If you burn out, you simply cannot care for someone else no matter how much you may wish to do so.

The second is 'sun-downing', which means nocturnal wandering on the part of the person with dementia, which is exhausting to deal with, because it - keeping someone safe from doing some damage to themselves by accident and staying sufficiently alert and awake to be able to do so - will lead to utter exhaustion on the part of the carer. You cannot stay awake day and night.

The third is violence: One of the things - characteristic things - about dementia is that it does not simply and solely rob one's mind, and destroy one's memory, but it also - weirdly - serves to lower inhibitions, and lessen the 'barriers' governing behaviour and self control (in other words, stuff such as manners, and good behaviour, the sort of thing that we drill into children in order to teach them how to become civilised human beings who can engage with others, and relate to others, in a courteous and respectful manner).

I have known of women in their 70s, or 80s, small, ageing women, who had to admit their spouses - spouses whom they adored, but spouses who were still large, powerful men, irrespective of the destruction of their rotting and disintegrating minds - to care homes, because of the violence, which they could no longer deal with (and which nobody should ever be asked to accept as the price of sustaining any sort of relationship; the excuse - or explanation - that "he/she is losing his or her mind" (which they are, quite literally, in the case of dementia) is still not an acceptable excuse).

Nobody, but nobody, should have to - or be expected to - accept violence in a relationship, irrespective of context or circumstances.

My mother - who had never lifted a finger to us as children, who had campaigned against corporal punishment in schools, who knew her Dr Spock - hit me one night, while she was roaming the house at 3 a.m. (which occurred when I attempted to persuade her to return to bed); another time, she attacked each of my two brothers (which still shocked them, even though I had warned them).

That night, when she hit me, - in fact, she laid into me like a boxer, she had excelled at sports as a young woman, was Games Captain at her (posh) boarding school, played table tennis at just under international level, excelled at tennis and hockey at school, and later in life was extremely good at golf, and, as I now know, was well able to land a punch - I recall how I was shaking with real rage unable to sleep when I finally managed to return to bed.

But, there were sweet - sometimes, bitter-sweet - moments too.

Learn to treasure them - those fleeting, times, those brief, snatched moments when the glory of memory, or some sort of cognisance and awareness, returns, if only for the span of a gossamer thin thread of time.

6: Be kind to yourself.

Try to make time for yourself, ring-fence some (snatched) time for your hobbies, interests, or something you enjoy, and police those boundaries ruthlessly.

Forgive yourself when you fall short of a presumed care ideal.

7: Step-wise nature of the Condition of Vascular Dementia:

Vascular dementia is a condition with a very specific profile, for the decline manifests as a so-called "step" form, (as in, a step, when one is descending a flight of stairs).

Thus, you can expect to see a (heart-breaking) reverse of the arc of growth.

The actual deterioration (often, as a result of - in our case, it was a cluster of micro-strokes at a time, after which, the condition would stabilise for months and months), will express itself as a sudden, steep, (or sharp) decline, deterioration, after which, it will stabilise, (perhaps, even, slightly improve, but will never return to what it had been prior to the most recent cluster of micro-strokes), become a "new normal", which you will become acclimatised to, used to, and will have adapted to.

That "new normal" can lull you into a false sense of security, as you adapt to this (and it is amazing what you find that you can adapt to over time), leading to a fresh shock when the next steep decline occurs, which you, in turn, find that you must adapt to.

This means that each sharp decline resembles a "step" - but, specifically, a step down, a step that is descending the riser of a flight of stairs - and then, you will stand on the horizontal part of the stepped stairs, when the condition will stabilise, sometimes, for many months at a time.

Thus, you will see - over time - the arc of growth played out in heart-breaking reverse: I remember a time when my mother resembled a bright ten year old, then, a bright seven year old, then a three year old, then a one year old, and then, (and I remember asking myself one night, as I stood while watching over her in bed, in her darkened room, lights dimmed, and saw her draw in a deep - but calm - relaxed breath, deeply seriously soundly asleep, but still clutching - with both hands - on her chest her adored, battered, cuddly toy, a bedraggled brown monkey that went by the name of "Mr Monkey") what - when you have arrived at an age of less than one, where do you go next? Of course, needless to say, I knew full well where you go next, but, at the time, I just didn't want to admit - let alone accept - that answer.

The one advantage of vascular dementia (as opposed to other types of dementia) is that while the person is robbed of their mind and memory, (unlike classic Alzheimer's, for example), their essential character remains until very late; in fact, while my mother's fierce intellect (and sharp wit) were both a casualty of her heart-breaking condition, her character (essentially sweet) and sense of fun remained until the very end.

However, it is not for nothing that dementia is seen as - described as - experienced as - "A Long, Slow, Good-Bye".

While you are caring for your mother, you are also - at the very same time - grieving for the loss of who she was, and how you had enjoyed (and experienced) your relationship with the person she was.

So, you are simultaneously caring for someone while grieving for the loss of who they were, both for themselves and for that relationship with you.

My mother - a fiercely intelligent and formidably well read and widely-travelled person, who loved to laugh - and I used to enjoy going to plays (art house, avant garde stuff: Beckett, Brecht, Brian Friel, etc), book launches, authors doing readings from their work, art galleries, and sometimes, political meetings - together, and discussing politics, art, culture and history together.

Needless to say, dementia put paid to all of that.

In the early stages of the condition, it is harder on the person suffering from it, as they are aware of some of (or much of) what they are losing; early on, I remember my mother coming into my study one evening and saying - in a tone of appalled and pained horror - "I feel as though I have black holes in my mind".

However, later, as they lose themselves in the tragic arc of their inevitable regression, - and, as their physical needs increase - if well cared for, the person will be content, while the tragedy is experienced by those carrying out the caring role.

8: Public Healthcare: Any Healthcare.

Find out what you are entitled to and claim it - all of it.

We were (are) exceptionally fortunate that we live in a country with a very good state funded system of public healthcare (which I know is not the case in the US, but this is the norm in Europe).

Thus, we were able to avail - as of right - of the sort of healthcare that provided us with weekly (and, later, twice weekly) visits from community nurses, (and doctors when needed), physiotherapy, medication, and so on.

And the state provided us with carers who visited three times a day, seven days a week (for around half an hour, 40 minutes, each time) for tending to - addressing - her immediate care needs, - (such as changing - when incontinence became an issue - my mother, bathroom, washing, dressing, checking that she had taken her meds, etc) for over six years.

This meant that all of my mother's actual medical needs (by that, I mean actual medication - for, she was on an extraordinary cocktail and selection of daily medication, some of her tablets had to be taken several times a day, some twice, others merely daily, for, in addition to her dementia, she suffered from a couple of cardiac conditions - which meant that she had a pace-maker, plus a number of stents, for example) were funded by the state, and delivered to our door - free - by a local pharmacist (yes, we had to have the prescriptions renewed and revised or amended if necessary - also free - every six months, if memory serves).

As my mother's condition advanced, and we made it clear that we wished to care for her at home, we were also supplied with a (disguised) hospital-style bed, (that could be raised or lowered, tilted, etc), an air mattress (these came with control panels that would not have been out of place on the Starship Enterprise), an electric hoist, (for, in the last years, she was not mobile, and even with the hoist, it took two people to move her), and a "Buxton" style day armchair that she could spend some time in, during the day (these were all supplied, and regularly serviced, by the state, at no cost to us).

However, and however......

9: "Rainy Day". Finances & Funding:

There is a saying recommending that people put something aside (financially, that is) for a proverbial "rainy day".

This - a diagnosis of dementia - is the rainy day.

If you have savings, (or, your mother has savings), this is the time to call upon them, for this is the rainy day.

While we had significant state support (in the form of access to a state funded public healthcare system), my mother's care needs - particularly as time went on - required much more than that.

We were fortunate that we have had the advantages of what is described as a middle class background and lifestyle; My two brothers and I are university graduates, which has meant that we have had decent jobs.

Moreover, my mother, who also had a decent job, enjoyed two pensions (her own and my father's).

I, myself, used to be a university teacher, and, in more recent times have worked in a diplomatic capacity with the EU as a political analyst in some of the worst places on the planet. The reason I mention this is that my salary (which additionally included hazard pay in the form of a rather generous per diem) was reasonable.

The point of all of this is to explain how (and why) we were in a position to be able to afford to pay the salary of the wonderful person I have described on these threads as "the carer".

"The carer" was (is) a fantastic Filipina woman who lived with us for just under six years, (yes, six full years), and who cared - truly cared - for my mother (with wit, warmth, kindness, incredible competence), for all that time, which allowed us to care for my mother in her own home (for, my mother would have hated to have had to go to a care home), where she felt comfortable and cared for and felt content and safe and loved in her own home.

In addition to the full time carer, we also had a few others - such as a superb semi-professional musician who played the accordion and sang old time music hall songs with a band as a residency in a few pubs - who would come in for a few hours once or twice a week, to give "the carer" a bit of a break.

If (funding) full time care is not an option, perhaps a few hours of part time care could be funded, - if not daily, then, at least once or twice during the week - if only to give you, yourself, a brief break.

Also, on the matter of finances, (and before her deterioration has become too pronounced, or marked), if you have not already done so, might I suggest that you look into drawing up an Enduring Power of Attorney, which will allow you to be legally responsible for your mother's care and for her life, and will also allow you access to her assets (presuming that she has assets) in order to provide for her care.

We did so (that meant a trip to the High Court, but it went through without a problem), which was very helpful, as was the fact that some time before she was formally diagnosed with dementia - when she was still reasonably competent but depressingly aware of her deterioration - my mother asked me to accompany her to an arranged meeting in her bank, and thus formally arranged for me to become a co-signatory on all of her accounts which gave me legal permission to access her accounts (and sign cheques, use her bank cards), in order to pay some of the bills, as needed.

In any case, I hope that these words are of some small help to you.

May I take this opportunity to wish you the very best of luck.

Last edited:

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
For what it’s worth, make a sharp distinction between what you can control and what you can’t. Focus on the tiny amount you can control by making your Mom’s day the best it can be given the circumstances. Accept that you are not perfect and will have days that you feel like you didn’t perform at your best. Lean on any friends or family you can for support.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It is a struggle but there are groups to help you understand and cope.

I helped take care of my dad who had Alzheimer's Disease for around 30 years and was like a five year old when he died. I took care of my mum who relaxed after he died and ended up with Bladder Cancer, then seven difficult months of Pancreatic Cancer until her death.

I spent seven years in healthcare and had good knowledge of pharmaceuticals and procedures. I even spent time trying to research new ways to combat cancer.

In the end, I was a good liaison between her and her doctors. I had to push hospice nurses to treat the pain more aggressively.

I cooked. I cleaned. I took her for rides and shopping, anything to distract her for a few moments.

Considering that my dad couldn't communicate effectively, I had to come up with ways to promote communication.

Remember that you can only do your best. Make your peace ahead of time. The inevitable will happen regardless of how much emotional stress you have. Their pain might cause you to be insulted. Tell stories about good times. Keep the meds handy. Don't be afraid to be afraid. Find an compassionate outsider or group to help you cope.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
So sorry you're going through this. It's so tough.

I was the sole caregiver for my mom for the last five years. It was very challenging, constant worry and effort. She was deteriorating mentally, but more so physically. She was in pain. Just two months ago I moved her into a care facility. She died just 6 weeks later, just a week or so short of her 91st birthday.

I've been told that moving someone out of their familiar place is often a trigger to them passing away quickly. It worked out that way in her case.

The biggest challenge during that five years was to stop worrying about the future. Things would only get worse and I had no idea how I would pay for it. I thank my wife for constantly reminding me to stay in the present. That's the main advice I'd pass along to you.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Yes.

I cared for my mother - who had vascular dementia - for the best part of a decade until her death, in her own bed, in her own bedroom, in our home, with the three of us - her three children, my two brothers and I - holding her hands - just before midnight on the night of 21st December 2018.

I hear you.

The dementia.

Unless she suffers from a (pre-existing) physical condition that involves her lungs (and compromises her breathing) - which is entirely separate from dementia - this will not - ought not be a problem until the very very end, when pneumonia seems to be one of the conditions to which people who suffer from advanced dementia may be prone.

Taking it one day at a time is all that you can do, and all that you can ask of yourself.

The first thing I wish to say (write?) to you is that you have my profound sympathy.

This is a heart-breaking and soul-destroying and emotionally exhausting and physically draining condition to have to deal with.

If someone had told me in 2012 (which is when my mother was formally diagnosed, although she had been deteriorating for a few years immediately preceding that) what we could expect to face, I think I would have wanted to crawl under a rock and hoped to hibernate for at least a decade.

A few words of advice, hewn from that rock, the school of life, informed by my experiences:

I cannot stress this enough - this is a marathon, not a sprint: You will need to pace yourself, try to take time and space for yourself, (and I know - having "been there, done that, bought and worn the proverbial t-shirt" - I know all too well that you will wish to give everything of yourself to try to assist the person whom you love when and while they are assailed by this condition in order to ameliorate their lot).

This is a marathon that can run for a decade or longer, not a broken ankle or some other surgery that will heal in weeks, or months, after which, you can withdraw and return to your own life.

However, I mean this, - the advice to pace yourself intelligently, not to subsume yourself entirely (and that will be exceptionally difficult) in the needs of the person to be cared for.

This is because, if you do not pace yourself intelligently, you will burn out, and carer burnout is one of the main reasons (night time wandering - the so-called "sun-downing" - leading to loss of sleep for the carer as they have to be alert all of the time - is another, and violence, is a third) - people with dementia end up in care homes.

Recognise that, from now on, your life (professional, perhaps, but above all, personal), will change (I found this extremely difficult to accept), and will be utterly transformed, as the needs of the person to be cared for will not only take a prominent position in your life, but will come to dominate it completely, leaching into, seeping into, all considerations and conversations.

In the last few years of my mother's life, there were a few occasions where my brothers and I would set out a specific period of a few hours - perhaps, meet in a pub - where we would deliberately decide - have decided in advance - to discuss anything except my mother (and we all adored her) and her care needs.

However, there is no shame in being angry, (raging, in fact), stressed, exhausted, distressed, frustrated, (people with dementia can sometimes be very trying) upset and admitting this.

You are a carer, and you are doing your best, you are not auditioning for sainthood.

3: Learn to accept that which is not perfect. You are not perfect. What is good is not the enemy of what is the very best.

This is where - despite your own desires, which, when you fall short of perfection, and you will fall short, far short, of perfection - you will need to learn to accept that "the best", is not "perfection" (and do not berate or punish yourself for falling short of perfection), but "my best", the very best of what you can do - physically, psychologically, emotionally and mentally.

Prioritise (and try to do) what can be done by you and those close to you, and delegate - or bribe, bully, buy - what you cannot.

And jettison - or forego, or ruthlessly prune - that which is irrelevant, or unimportant, be they tasks or people. You cannot do everything, which means that some things (and/or people) may well need to be let go.

More important, don't be afraid, (or too proud) to accept (genuine) offers of help, and (informed) advice (the sort that comes with experience).

Some people will say "phone me if you need anything", and - in my experience (with the caveat or exception of unless you know the person in question exceedingly well, and thus, know the offer to be genuine)- these offers are both useless and worthless.

What is "anything"? You will be afraid to take (or be thought to take) advantage, or to ask for 'too much', which means, in practice, that you will ask for nothing.

Far better is someone (who will - almost inevitably and invariably - have lived through a similar experience and thus, will have known what it is to do so) - who will say something along the lines of "I'm heading to the pharmacy/shop/town - is there anything you need"? "I'm heading to the bottle bank, do you want me to take your empty bottles and dispose of them?" "Can I run you anywhere?" "I'll sit with your mother for an hour or two, while you head out for a coffee/walk/visit to a bookshop?")- in other words, a specific offer, a practical offer, that lies well within their capability to deliver - which they will wish to want to do - and that they know you may well need to have done and will be more than grateful for.

Or boundaries.

Boundaries include ignoring (or excluding) morons who attempt to lecture (or judge) you (when you will fall short), while doing (or contributing) next to nothing themselves.

Set a rule that if someone is not actively involved in your mother's care (or, in some other way, is of genuine assistance to you, or supportive of you), then, that they have no say whatsoever in your mother's care and that their input is neither sought nor relevant nor heeded nor necessary nor needed. Put bluntly, if they are not actively supportive, what is happening is none of their business.

You will find (well, I did) that your tolerance for everyday, quotidian, idiocy is sharply curtailed.

You will get fed up (and sometimes infuriated) - well, I did - at how everyone seems to ask for (or after, or about) your mother, but few will realise the demands made on you.

You will find small talk moronic and barely endurable (and I have worked as a diplomat) because you are so emotionally exhausted, and you will find the witless self-obsession of imbeciles impossible (the clowns who complain about preposterous trivia while your adored mother has reverted to the hilarity and heart-breaking behaviour of childhood).

Three things lead to people ending up in care homes - despite many of them having loving families.

The first is carer burn out: If you burn out, you simply cannot care for someone else no matter how much you may wish to do so.

The second is 'sun-downing', which means nocturnal wandering on the part of the person with dementia, which is exhausting to deal with, because it - keeping someone safe from doing some damage to themselves by accident and staying sufficiently alert and awake to be able to do so - will lead to utter exhaustion on the part of the carer. You cannot stay awake day and night.

The third is violence: One of the things - characteristic things - about dementia is that it does not simply and solely rob one's mind, and destroy one's memory, but it also - weirdly - serves to lower inhibitions, and lessen the 'barriers' governing behaviour and self control (in other words, stuff such as manners, and good behaviour, the sort of thing that we drill into children in order to teach them how to become civilised human beings who can engage with others, and relate to others, in a courteous and respectful manner).

I have known of women in their 70s, or 80s, small, ageing women, who had to admit their spouses - spouses whom they adored, but spouses who were still large, powerful men, irrespective of the destruction of their rotting and disintegrating minds - to care homes, because of the violence, which they could no longer deal with (and which nobody should ever be asked to accept as the price of sustaining any sort of relationship; the excuse - or explanation - that "he/she is losing his or her mind" (which they are, quite literally, in the case of dementia) is still not an acceptable excuse).

Nobody, but nobody, should have to - or be expected to - accept violence in a relationship, irrespective of context or circumstances.

My mother - who had never lifted a finger to us as children, who had campaigned against corporal punishment in schools, who knew her Dr Spock - hit me one night, while she was roaming the house at 3 a.m. (which occurred when I attempted to persuade her to return to bed); another time, she attacked each of my two brothers (which still shocked them, even though I had warned them).

That night, when she hit me, - in fact, she laid into me like a boxer, she had excelled at sports as a young woman, was Games Captain at her (posh) boarding school, played table tennis at just under international level, excelled at tennis and hockey at school, and later in life was extremely good at golf, and, as I now know, was well able to land a punch - I recall how I was shaking with real rage unable to sleep when I finally managed to return to bed.

Learn to treasure them - those fleeting, times, those brief, snatched moments when the glory of memory, or some sort of cognisance and awareness, returns, if only for the span of a gossamer thin thread of time.

Try to make time for yourself, ring-fence some (snatched) time for your hobbies, or something you enjoy, and police those boundaries ruthlessly.

Vascular dementia is a condition with a very specific profile, for the decline manifests as a so-called "step" form, (as in, a step, when one is descending flight of stairs).

The actual deterioration (often, as a result of - in our case, it was a cluster of micro-strokes at a time, after which, the condition would stabilise for months and months), will express itself as a sudden, steep, (or sharp) decline, deterioration, after which, it will stabilise, (perhaps, even, slightly improve, but will never return to what it had been prior to the most recent cluster of micro-strokes), become a "new normal", which you will become acclimatised to, used to, and will have adapted to.

That "new normal" can lull you into a false sense of security, as you adapt to this (and it is amazing what you find that you can adapt to over time), leading to a fresh shock when the next steep decline occurs, which you, in turn, find that you must adapt to.

This means that each sharp decline resembles a "step" - but, specifically, a step down, a step that is descending the riser of a flight of stairs - and then, you will stand on the horizontal part of the stepped stairs, when the condition will stabilise, sometimes, for many months at a time.

Thus, you will see - over time - the arc of growth played out in heart-breaking reverse: I remember a time when my mother resembled a bright ten year old, then, a bright seven year old, then a three year old, then a one year old, and then, (and I remember asking myself one night, as I stood while watching over her in bed, in her darkened room, lights dimmed, and saw her draw in a deep - but calm - relaxed breath, deeply seriously soundly asleep, but still clutching - with both hands - on her chest her adored, battered, cuddly toy, a bedraggled brown monkey that went by the name of "Mr Monkey") what - when you have arrived at an age of less than one, where do you go next? Of course, needless to say, I knew full well where you go next, but, at the time, I just didn't want to admit - let alone accept - that answer.

The one advantage of vascular dementia (as opposed to other types of dementia) is that while the person is robbed of their mind and memory, (unlike classic Alzheimer's, for example), their essential character remains until very late; in fact, while my mother's fierce intellect (and sharp wit) were both a casualty of her heart-breaking condition, her character (essentially sweet) and sense of fun remained until the very end.

However, it is not for nothing that dementia is seen as - described as - experienced as - "A Long, Slow, Good-Bye".

While you are caring for your mother, you are also - at the very same time - grieving for the loss of who she was, and how you had enjoyed (and experienced) your relationship with the person she was.

So, you are simultaneously caring for someone while grieving for the loss of who they were, both for themselves and for that relationship with you.

My mother - a fiercely intelligent and formidably well read and widely-travelled person, who loved to laugh - and I used to enjoy going to plays (art house, avant garde stuff: Beckett, Brecht, Brian Friel, etc), book launches, authors doing readings from their work, art galleries, and sometimes, political meetings - together, and discussing politics, art, culture and history together.

In the early stages of the condition, it is harder on the person suffering from it, as they are aware of some of (or much of) what they are losing; early on, I remember my mother coming into my study one evening and saying - in a tone of appalled and pained horror - "I feel as though I have black holes in my mind".

However, later, as they lose themselves in the tragic arc of their inevitable regression, - and, as their physical needs increase - if well cared for, the person will be content, while the tragedy is experienced by those carrying out the caring role.

We were (are) exceptionally fortunate that we live in a country with a very good state funded system of public healthcare (which I know is not the case in the US, but this is the norm in Europe).

Thus, we were able to avail - as of right - of the sort of healthcare that provided us with weekly (and, later, twice weekly) visits from community nurses, (and doctors when needed), physiotherapy, medication, and so on.

And the state provided us with carers who visited three times a day, seven days a week (for around half an hour, 40 minutes, each time) for tending to - addressing - her immediate care needs, - (such as changing - when incontinence became an issue - my mother, bathroom, washing, dressing, checking that she had taken her meds, etc) for over six years.

This meant that all of my mother's actual medical needs (by that, I mean actual medication - for, she was on an extraordinary cocktail and selection of daily medication, some of her tablets had to be taken several times a day, some twice, others merely daily, for, in addition to her dementia, she suffered from a couple of cardiac conditions - which meant that she had a pace-maker, plus a number of stents, for example) were funded by the state, and delivered to our door - free - by a local pharmacist (yes, we had to have the prescriptions renewed and revised or amended if necessary - also free - every six months, if memory serves).

As my mother's condition advanced, and we made it clear that we wished to care for her at home, we were also supplied with a (disguised) hospital-style bed, (that could be raised or lowered, tilted, etc), an air mattress (these came with control panels that would not have been out of place on the Starship Enterprise), an electric hoist, (for, in the last years, she was not mobile, and even with the hoist, it took two people to move her), and a "Buxton" style day armchair that she could spend some time in, during the day (these were all supplied, and regularly serviced, by the state, at no cost to us).

There is a saying recommending that people put something aside (financially, that is) for a proverbial "rainy day".

If you have savings, (or, your mother has savings), this is the time to call upon them, for this is the rainy day.

While we had significant state support (in the form of access to a state funded public healthcare system), my mother's care needs - particularly as time went on - required much more than that.

We were fortunate that we have had the advantages of what is described as a middle class background and lifestyle; My two brothers and I are university graduates, which has meant that we have had decent jobs.

Moreover, my mother, who also had a decent job, enjoyed two pensions (her own and my father's).

I, myself, used to be a university teacher, and, in more recent times have worked in a diplomatic capacity with the EU as a political analyst in some of the worst places on the planet. The reason I mention this is that my salary (which additionally included hazard pay in the form of a rather generous per diem) was reasonable.

The point of all of this is to explain how (and why) we were in a position to be able to afford to pay the salary of the wonderful person I have described on these threads as "the carer".

"The carer" was (is) a fantastic Filipina woman who lived with us for just under six years, (yes, six full years), and who cared - truly cared - for my mother (with wit, warmth, kindness, incredible competence), for all that time, which allowed us to care for my mother in her own home (for, my mother would have hated to have had to go to a care home), where she felt comfortable and cared for and felt content and safe and loved in her own home.

In addition to the full time carer, we also had a few others - such as a superb semi-professional musician who played the accordion and sang old time music hall songs with a band as a residency in a few pubs - who would come in for a few hours once or twice a week, to give "the carer" a bit of a break.

If (funding) full time care is not an option, perhaps a few hours of part time care could be funded, - if not daily, then, at least once or twice during the week - if only to give you, yourself, a brief break.

Also, on the matter of finances, (and before her deterioration has become too pronounced, or marked), if you have not already done so, might I suggest that you look into drawing up an Enduring Power of Attorney, which will allow you to be legally responsible for your mother's care and for her life, and will also allow you access to her assets (presuming that she has assets) in order to provide for her care.

We did so (that meant a trip to the High Court, but it went through without a problem), which was very helpful, as was the fact that some time before she was formally diagnosed with dementia - when she was still reasonably competent but depressingly aware of her deterioration - my mother asked me to accompany her to an arranged meeting in her bank, and thus formally arranged for me to become a co-signatory on all of her accounts which gave me legal permission to access her accounts (and sign cheques, use her bank cards), in order to pay some of the bills, as needed.

I am blown away by the sheer effort and compassion of your response. How very good of you. Thank you so much for all this, I will come back to it, very helpful. I am so sorry you and your family had to go through this with your mother, who sounds like she was pretty amazing. Quite moved and relieved to hear she passed in her own bed, surrounded by family. Of course I have accepted that mum is dying, I'm just hoping she does not suffer too much.

Mum really struggles with expressing herself with words, very often she just can't get the words out, they don't come to her and I have to guess. She also thinks she knows best, you can't argue with her. This includes my trying everyday to get her to have enough to drink, I remind her, I offer a variety of drinks. To no avail, she either dismisses me or sometimes doesn't even respond, so she spends most of her time very dehydrated. I have had to call an ambulance because of this.

It seems to have been a mini stroke that started the dementia. The help from the local GP surgery so far has been very good, while they like all the health services here in the UK are under a lot of pressure. I do worry how long we may need to wait for an ambulance if we need one, but they do their best.

You've been so helpful, and you are clearly a pretty awesome person. God bless you.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
For what it’s worth, make a sharp distinction between what you can control and what you can’t. Focus on the tiny amount you can control by making your Mom’s day the best it can be given the circumstances. Accept that you are not perfect and will have days that you feel like you didn’t perform at your best. Lean on any friends or family you can for support.
Thank you for this. I am lucky in that I have friends from my church and we get together fairly often. When I am with them we talk and I quickly realise that I am not the only one with problems, and my problems are not as bad as some of theirs. I think there is a lot of truth in the saying a problem shared is a problem halved. It gives us perspective.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
So sorry you're going through this. It's so tough.

I was the sole caregiver for my mom for the last five years. It was very challenging, constant worry and effort. She was deteriorating mentally, but more so physically. She was in pain. Just two months ago I moved her into a care facility. She died just 6 weeks later, just a week or so short of her 91st birthday.

I've been told that moving someone out of their familiar place is often a trigger to them passing away quickly. It worked out that way in her case.

The biggest challenge during that five years was to stop worrying about the future. Things would only get worse and I had no idea how I would pay for it. I thank my wife for constantly reminding me to stay in the present. That's the main advice I'd pass along to you.
Thank you! I am naturally a worrier. I always worry about things that haven't happened yet, that might happen. The irony of this situation is that if I were to do that I would stop functioning. So it's forcing me to live in the present.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
The last five years my mother and I have been caring for my stepfather, who suffered from Alzheimer’s. He was still relatively capable at the start of that time, with just some trouble using computers and reading clocks, and he died of an obstruction in the bowels just a couple of months ago.

Luckily in the Netherlands there is a decent system of care and we had arranged a personal budget for him to receive care with showering, getting dressed, his nappies (he was doubly incontinent) and so on, and this allowed my mother to just about cope with the most difficult aspects of care. It would have cost us about 30,000 euros a year for the later years if we had had to fund it ourselves.

There were many difficult moments, from when we had to start keeping his bedroom door locked at night (to be sure he wouldn’t wander and fall down the stairs), to when we had to keep the house doors locked because he couldn’t go out on his own anymore, to the moments of violence when he didn’t want to take a shower. There were also sweet moments, such as when he played with his stuffed toy bear, or to watch him enjoy his food, savouring every bite.

The most difficult part for my mother was when the care helpers forced her to admit that he couldn’t sleep upstairs anymore because it wasn’t safe for him to navigate the stairs even with her assistance every step of the way. After that he deteriorated rapidly, because he was no longer called upon to exert himself every day. After a while even the few steps from the living room to the dining room became too much effort.

The end started with him throwing up and being taken to hospital in an ambulance. He recovered from that, but the next time it happened the doctors told us there was an choice between an operation which he almost certainly wouldn’t survive and just caring for the pain. We chose to address the pain and let things take their course, and a week later he died.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
One thing I would add: my mother had seen with her mother the kind of circumstances in the care homes, and was determined that her beloved husband would not go through that, so she did absolutely everything in her power to keep him in the family home.

Care homes according to her are not nice places, where the elderly often feud, bruises from physical fights are common, belongings go missing, and you sometimes go to the toilet at night only to find that someone else has climbed into your bed when you were gone, or poop was smeared on the walls and not cleaned up, and so on.

My mother put in a huge effort over a number of years, which I was sometimes able to assist with so that she could go out on a Saturday to the market or on a Thursday to the shops. For the rest she was there all the time, making him bites to eat and drinks, washing his sheets and clothes, making sure he changed position while reading.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
The last five years my mother and I have been caring for my stepfather, who suffered from Alzheimer’s. He was still relatively capable at the start of that time, with just some trouble using computers and reading clocks, and he died of an obstruction in the bowels just a couple of months ago.

Luckily in the Netherlands there is a decent system of care and we had arranged a personal budget for him to receive care with showering, getting dressed, his nappies (he was doubly incontinent) and so on, and this allowed my mother to just about cope with the most difficult aspects of care. It would have cost us about 30,000 euros a year for the later years if we had had to fund it ourselves.

There were many difficult moments, from when we had to start keeping his bedroom door locked at night (to be sure he wouldn’t wander and fall down the stairs), to when we had to keep the house doors locked because he couldn’t go out on his own anymore, to the moments of violence when he didn’t want to take a shower. There were also sweet moments, such as when he played with his stuffed toy bear, or to watch him enjoy his food, savouring every bite.

The most difficult part for my mother was when the care helpers forced her to admit that he couldn’t sleep upstairs anymore because it wasn’t safe for him to navigate the stairs even with her assistance every step of the way. After that he deteriorated rapidly, because he was no longer called upon to exert himself every day. After a while even the few steps from the living room to the dining room became too much effort.

The end started with him throwing up and being taken to hospital in an ambulance. He recovered from that, but the next time it happened the doctors told us there was a choice between an operation which he almost certainly wouldn’t survive and just caring for the pain. We chose to address the pain and let things take their course, and a week later he died.
Thank you for sharing this. It sounds like you had a very difficult time. You obviously did an outstanding job.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My heart goes out to all of you who have had or are dealing with a parent suffering with dementia.

My parents are both relatively healthy for their age. But I live a long way from them both (they are divorced and both remarried). 3-4 hours is a long way away as they get older.
I’d like to see more of them than I do, but our relationship is complicated.

Take care of yourself @Snow4maen

Make time for yourself regularly. All you can do is your best.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes.

I hear you.

The dementia.

This is because, if you do not pace yourself intelligently, you will burn out, and carer burnout is one of the main reasons (night time wandering - the so-called "sun-downing" - leading to loss of sleep for the carer as they have to be alert all of the time - is another, and violence, is a third) - anyway, carer burnout is one of the reasons why people with dementia end up in care homes.

Recognise that, from now on, your life (professional, perhaps, but above all, personal), will change (I found this extremely difficult to accept), and will be utterly transformed, as the needs of the person to be cared for will not only take a prominent position in your life, but will come to dominate it completely, leaching into, seeping into, pouring into, almost all considerations and conversations.

This is where - despite your own desires, (which means that you will wish to give the very best of care for your mother) which, when you fall short of perfection, and you will fall short, far short, of perfection - you will need to learn to accept that "the best", is not "perfection" (and do not berate or punish yourself for falling short of perfection), but "my best", the very best of what you can do - physically, psychologically, emotionally and mentally.

Or boundaries.

You will find small talk moronic and barely endurable (and I have worked as a diplomat) because you are so emotionally exhausted, and you will find the witless self-absorption of imbeciles impossible (the clowns who complain about preposterous trivia while your adored mother has reverted to the hilarity and heart-breaking behaviour of childhood).

Try to make time for yourself, ring-fence some (snatched) time for your hobbies, interests, or something you enjoy, and police those boundaries ruthlessly.

Vascular dementia is a condition with a very specific profile, for the decline manifests as a so-called "step" form, (as in, a step, when one is descending a flight of stairs).

I can’t believe it’s been that long since she passed. Where does the time go?
What you did for your Mother was kind, compassionate and the best you could have done. I still think of your Mother whenever I hear ABBA on the radio.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
My heart goes out to all of you who have had or are dealing with a parent suffering with dementia.

My parents are both relatively healthy for their age. But I live a long way from them both (they are divorced and both remarried). 3-4 hours is a long way away as they get older.
I’d like to see more of them than I do, but our relationship is complicated.

Take care of yourself @Snow4maen

Make time for yourself regularly. All you can do is your best.
This is very kind, thank you!

Reactions: bousozoku

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021

The end started with him throwing up and being taken to hospital in an ambulance. He recovered from that, but the next time it happened the doctors told us there was an choice between an operation which he almost certainly wouldn’t survive and just caring for the pain. We chose to address the pain and let things take their course, and a week later he died.
Regarding the finances. Currently we get a carer come in each morning for about 30 minutes. We don't really need them at the moment but I keep them in place as due to the nature of mum's dementia it can go downhill pretty quickly. I thought it best to keep them in place rather than cancel them, then need them quickly and not be able to re establish them. But even for this little time, it's not cheap. Mum has over the threshold in her savings, so we have been contributing to paying her care. I recently got a letter from the council and I think we may be required to pay more for her care now, the council is struggling financially. If we need the carers in more frequently in the future mum's savings will go pretty quickly. And that's without her needing to be put in a home (not that I want to do that). It's a worrying situation. If we run out of money, will the council still be able to provide care?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Honestly, the £20 I spent on the Harry Potter boxset DVD's was the best £20 I've ever spent. Mum has mobility issues and has been house bound for years, she can only just get to the toilet! All she can do is watch TV, she has a strange relationship with the TV. She's developed a psychosis along with the dementia, and thinks the people on TV can see her, and she often talks to them. There really isn't much on TV here, left to my own devices I wouldn't have a TV license, I wouldn't watch it enough, but it's a lifeline for mum. As there is so little on, she's been content to just watch the films from the beginning to the end, time after time and get lost in this fantasy world she loves so much. Never seems to get bored. But so long as she is content.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Honestly, the £20 I spent on the Harry Potter boxset DVD's was the best £20 I've ever spent. Mum has mobility issues and has been house bound for years, she can only just get to the toilet! All she can do is watch TV, she has a strange relationship with the TV. She's developed a psychosis along with the dementia, and thinks the people on TV can see her, and she often talks to them. There really isn't much on TV here, left to my own devices I wouldn't have a TV license, I wouldn't watch it enough, but it's a lifeline for mum. As there is so little on, she's been content to just watch the films from the beginning to the end, time after time and get lost in this fantasy world she loves so much. Never seems to get bored. But so long as she is content.
Whatever keeps her happy.
Just remember to make some time for yourself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am blown away by the sheer effort and compassion of your response. How very good of you. Thank you so much for all this, I will come back to it, very helpful. I am so sorry you and your family had to go through this with your mother, who sounds like she was pretty amazing. Quite moved and relieved to hear she passed in her own bed, surrounded by family. Of course I have accepted that mum is dying, I'm just hoping she does not suffer too much.

Mum really struggles with expressing herself with words, very often she just can't get the words out, they don't come to her and I have to guess. She also thinks she knows best, you can't argue with her. This includes my trying everyday to get her to have enough to drink, I remind her, I offer a variety of drinks. To no avail, she either dismisses me or sometimes doesn't even respond, so she spends most of her time very dehydrated. I have had to call an ambulance because of this.

It seems to have been a mini stroke that started the dementia. The help from the local GP surgery so far has been very good, while they like all the health services here in the UK are under a lot of pressure. I do worry how long we may need to wait for an ambulance if we need one, but they do their best.

You've been so helpful, and you are clearly a pretty awesome person. God bless you.
Thank you.
I can’t believe it’s been that long since she passed. Where does the time go?
What you did for your Mother was kind, compassionate and the best you could have done. I still think of your Mother whenever I hear ABBA on the radio.
As do I, but thank you.
This, I can well imagine.

In any case, some of the replies prompt a further response from me in the form of further advice:

1: Medical Stuff:

While a state funded public health care system is brilliant (and I am a huge fan of the NHS), one of the problems that we found - or, we experienced, - especially in the early days after my mother's diagnosis, was to find out what you were entitled to, and how to apply for it and access it. We were flying blind.

Sometimes, if public finances are somewhat straitened, it can then take a considerable length of time before you will be able to avail of those services.

My recommendation would be to make an appointment with your GP to talk about this; bring a pen and a note book, and write this stuff down. Bring a (trusted) friend, if necessary for support and to prompt you to ask stuff in case you forget.

Ask the GP what services exist - that you are entitled to access - in your local area for people with dementia, which are publicly funded, which are privately funded, and how the GP can support you in obtaining these services.

You won't know what is available until you ask (and then, find out): For us, "plugging ourselves into the system" (and that took a surprising amount of time) presented one of the greatest challenges when and while we were planning for our mother's care.

Supports exist, but you will not be able to access them until you apply (formally) for them, and you will not be able to apply for them, if you don't know about them.

Now, once we managed to obtain access to the system, the actual state supports that were provided were incredible, invaluable, and wonderful.

2: Food, etc:

We had the issue with dehydration, and refusing drinks, as well.

Initially, in the early days, (and this is almost hilarious to read in hindsight), my brothers and I were exchanging healthy organic recipes, trying to come up with meals that were both tasty and healthy.

Now, my mother had always had a very good appetite, and had always liked her food.

Two things changed after her diagnosis:

One, she became far more picky, and choosy and adamant re her food demands, and - like a child - began to refuse to eat her vegetables - instead exhibiting a marked preference for certain, specific foods.

This came about - I suspect - because, secondly, she developed a very sweet tooth, and showed a marked preference for sweet things.

A late development of a sweet tooth is one of the red flags (or diagnostic tools) for dementia: My mother, as it happened, had always throughout her life (and I am the same, now) - and this was also the case for the pair of us even as children - far preferred sour stuff - rhubarb, cooking apples, gooseberries - she adored gooseberries - and so on, to anything sweet; personally, I love lemons, and the entire citrus family.

However, the sudden onset of the sort of palate whereby one wants - for example - ice cream, apple tart, almond croissants, cakes, - (especially in a person who used to disdain that sort of food prior to her diagnosis) - in my mother's case, her sweet tooth kicked in around six months after her diagnosis - along with the sort of stubborn character that a strong willed child may express - means that the diet of the person you are caring for will change radically.

Many people with dementia lose their appetite.

We decided - after a while - that it was stupid (on our part) to fight this battle; stratospheric blood pressure and cardiac problems took second place to caring for someone with dementia.

In other words, (and the GP confirmed this), the key thing was to get her to want to eat, (rather than trying to persuade her to eat a healthy and nourishing diet), and that meant giving her what she wanted to eat.

Thus, her diet comprised cakes, almond croissants, (sometimes, almond and chocolate croissants - all bought in the French bakery), apple tart, rice pudding with tinned fruit, sausages (she loved sausages), chicken wings (she loved chicken wings), chips, (what our Transatlantic Cousins describe French fries), or roasted potatoes (yes, she loved roast potatoes), and so on; we gave her what she wanted to eat, rather than what we thought she should be eating.

Now, that battle - that lesson - took a while to learn (well, we lost that battle), as we simply decided that it was more important that she eat something - anything, as long as she wanted to eat it - rather than insisting that she eat a diet that was healthy. The carer was exceptionally good (and patient - I wasn't that patient) at persuading my mother to eat a few mouthfuls of something a little healthy.

But, that - the healthy stuff - also had to be sweet in taste; thus, carrots and parsnips pureed - with lots of butter, or sweetcorn - worked, whereas healthy greens were disdained and rejected.

3: Liquids:

Dehydration was an issue for us, as well.

My mother, - who had always been exceptionally well hydrated, unlike many of her generation - she was one of the first people I knew who regularly drank plenty of liquids, including water, during the day - developed a dislike of water, as her dementia became more marked, and her sweet tooth became more pronounced - and her tea had to be sweetened in order to persuade her to drink it.

This we addressed by seeking out and sourcing out sweet fruit juices (for example, I managed to find some Italian peach juice, in an excellent Italian deli - standard orange and apple juice were too acidic for her, and she didn't care for them), as well as the sort of tasty "health drinks" (consumed from a small carton, with a straw, or poured into a glass) that you find (these came with a prescription, but ask the GP or the pharmacist for advice) in a pharmacy.

Those health drinks supply some nutritional needs for people who have lost their appetite on account of ill-health, and - if memory serves - they came in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla flavours.

In any case, I recall that my mother liked only the vanilla, and threw a wobbly whenever it wasn't available, refusing to accept any (lesser) substitutes.

However, we found those health drinks - they came in a collection of cartons, either six pack, or a twelve pack, perhaps a 24 pack - to be excellent; off-hand, unfortunately, I cannot recall the brand name.

Edited to take account of subsequent posts from @Clix Pix & @Apple fanboy: Ensure was the name of the drink that my mother used to take. Availability is not an issue - you will find it in pharmacies.

4: Do (Play, watch, Listen to) Whatever She Likes:

Harry Potter is an excellent idea.

As @Apple fanboy has already mentioned, for my mother, it was ABBA; we had their greatest hits playing on a more or less continual loop - she loved it, couldn't hear it often enough (which is why she heard it all day, and, had forgotten that she had just heard it), and would proceed to try to conduct the music, or (when she was more mobile), dance to it, or, have "Mr Monkey" dance to it.

Actually, I must admit that I am profoundly grateful to ABBA, for, simply pressing "play" on the CD player and starting the CD (Dancing Queen was the first track, Waterloo the last) would serve to put her in a good mood, and they gave my mother many happy hours during the time she suffered from the condition of dementia.

Once again, the very best of luck and remember to try to be kind to yourself and forgive yourself when you fall short of the demands and standards you try to hold yourself to.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KaliYoni

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Scepticalscribe wrote: However, we found those health drinks - they came in a collection of cartons, either six pack, or a twelve pack, perhaps a 24 pack - to be excellent; off-hand, unfortunately, I cannot recall the brand name.

Two of them with which I am familiar (available in the US; I would guess also in the UK) are Ensure and Boost. Both are used in medical settings and are recommended for consumption by those who for whatever reasons need to add supplements to their meals or in some situations use them as meal substitutes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Scepticalscribe wrote: However, we found those health drinks - they came in a collection of cartons, either six pack, or a twelve pack, perhaps a 24 pack - to be excellent; off-hand, unfortunately, I cannot recall the brand name.

Two of them with which I am familiar (available in the US; I would guess also in the UK) are Ensure and Boost. Both are used in medical settings and are recommended for consumption by those who for whatever reasons need to add supplements to their meals or in some situations use them as meal substitutes.
Miss AFB was on Ensure when she was loosing weight in hospital for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.