Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
I really hate to bring this up, but......OP, given both her cognitive decline and her various physical issues it seems to me that your mother has now gone beyond the point where you alone can care for her. Is there not some way you could have someone come into your home regularly, either during the day or the night in order to provide support to you with hands-on assistance and care of your mother? Is there not some social services agency which would be able to work with you? This would give you some respite, some relief, so that you would be able to get some much-needed rest and/or attend to other things, deal with the other usual responsibilities of life...
Thanks for this. Yes I can imagine how it seems, all a bit difficult. But let me try and explain. We have had carers come everyday for a long time now, they are a good company, with a good boss, and all the lady carers that come are very good and I am perfectly happy with them. I have their number, and each day I tell them everything I can to keep them updated, it all get''s logged into the book. They are also my point of contact with social services too, but please understand that the social services are also under lots of demand and pressure.

I keep not just our daily carers but also our boss lady carer up to date in detail very regularly. There are times when they are needed for personal care, for example as mum sits a lot, she can get sores, and struggles to wash in our adapted shower room because of her breathing, they help her wash, when mum will accept this, and help her with personal care that I can't do.

However, at the moment, there is little more they can do practically. They won't get mum to drink more, or eat more, they have tried, she ignores them too. I can do all that. I give mum her inhaler as she needs it. I can give her her medication. Trust me I want what is best for mum, I have our care companies phone number and if I needed them more I would be in contact with them right away, but it's a question of how practical that is right now. Even if I said to the boss lady carer, she would likely say they are not needed more just yet.

If mum gets into a respiratory crisis, I can call the ambulance. The carers can't do anymore. I have been in touch with the mobility nurses that are local, they have tried to help, but every aid they have given mum, walking frame, walking stick, toilet aid. Mum has refused. I have been in contact with the GP, and she has regular check ups with the respiratory team, in fact she has a respiratory review later today. I have also recently informed the GP practise that she has declined recently quite a bit, they are referring her to the memory clinic, but unfortunately there is a wait for this. The doctors know the situation very well, and so do our carers and I will always listen to their advice.

At this point no one can practically do anymore, and if I were to ask our boss carer, I expect she would agree. All the services are under great pressure, as mum's son, and living in our property, it's largely my responsibility to care for mum.

If our carer thought she needed more care, I would do as they say. If they thought she needed to be in a nursing home, I would listen. There is nothing more right now they could practically do.

They don't recommend putting people into nursing homes unless it's really very bad, and I know very well that mum would hate this, and I expect that if she were to go into a home, she would give up and not have long left. But of course if it becomes the right thing to do, we will do it.

There is nothing more the carers can do at this point, I keep an eye on her all day. She mostly sits and watches films. I can't force her to drink and eat, and I try all day to encourage her.

Our man that visited yesterday, Oliver, is going to order mum a hospital bed, which she will find more comfortable as it will move up and down so she can be propped up while lying in it, which will help with her breathing problems, but of course there will be a wait for that.

At any point, if I felt mum needed more help I would get it. I have called 111 several times recently for advice. We can't do much more at this point.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for this. Yes I can imagine how it seems, all a bit difficult. But let me try and explain. We have had carers come everyday for a long time now, they are a good company, with a good boss, and all the lady carers that come are very good and I am perfectly happy with them. I have their number, and each day I tell them everything I can to keep them updated, it all get''s logged into the book. They are also my point of contact with social services too, but please understand that the social services are also under lots of demand and pressure.

I keep not just our daily carers but also our boss lady carer up to date in detail very regularly. There are times when they are needed for personal care, for example as mum sits a lot, she can get sores, and struggles to wash in our adapted shower room because of her breathing, they help her wash, when mum will accept this, and help her with personal care that I can't do.

However, at the moment, there is little more they can do practically. They won't get mum to drink more, or eat more, they have tried, she ignores them too. I can do all that. I give mum her inhaler as she needs it. I can give her her medication. Trust me I want what is best for mum, I have our care companies phone number and if I needed them more I would be in contact with them right away, but it's a question of how practical that is right now. Even if I said to the boss lady carer, she would likely say they are not needed more just yet.

If mum gets into a respiratory crisis, I can call the ambulance. The carers can't do anymore. I have been in touch with the mobility nurses that are local, they have tried to help, but every aid they have given mum, walking frame, walking stick, toilet aid. Mum has refused. I have been in contact with the GP, and she has regular check ups with the respiratory team, in fact she has a respiratory review later today. I have also recently informed the GP practise that she has declined recently quite a bit, they are referring her to the memory clinic, but unfortunately there is a wait for this. The doctors know the situation very well, and so do our carers and I will always listen to their advice.

At this point no one can practically do anymore, and if I were to ask our boss carer, I expect she would agree. All the services are under great pressure, as mum's son, and living in our property, it's largely my responsibility to care for mum.

If our carer thought she needed more care, I would do as they say. If they thought she needed to be in a nursing home, I would listen. There is nothing more right now they could practically do.

They don't recommend putting people into nursing homes unless it's really very bad, and I know very well that mum would hate this, and I expect that if she were to go into a home, she would give up and not have long left. But of course if it becomes the right thing to do, we will do it.

There is nothing more the carers can do at this point, I keep an eye on her all day. She mostly sits and watches films. I can't force her to drink and eat, and I try all day to encourage her.

Our man that visited yesterday, Oliver, is going to order mum a hospital bed, which she will find more comfortable as it will move up and down so she can be propped up while lying in it, which will help with her breathing problems, but of course there will be a wait for that.

At any point, if I felt mum needed more help I would get it. I have called 111 several times recently for advice. We can't do much more at this point.
Excellent post.

Reading this brings back so many memories.

I hear you, read you, feel for you and fully comprehend, empathise and understand what you must be going through.

Re the hospital bed (yes, we had one - were supplied with one, too, - and I must say that we found it very helpful), try to ensure that you are also supplied with an air mattress, as well, for that hospital bed; the air mattress that we had came complete with a surprisingly detailed control panel, and helped us deal with the issue of (potential) bed sores.

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
I just want to thank everyone for their concern and help with this, especially Scepticalscribe's valuable insight, which has been very helpful. Yesterday, I came into the lounge to check on mum, as I need to lie down now and then, I am up for a long time during the day. And mum was sat in my chair, for the first time ever, and she had shut the laptops screen down and moved it, and put the mouse and mouse pad on top of it, because there are too many people here and they might steal it!!!! These are delusions. I now, when I leave the room, will take my MacBook with me!!!

It cost £2,150, and I really don't have much money, and I love it very much. With mum anything could happen.

Also, possibly due to very poor sleep for me, I have been battling very high blood pressure for some time, one reading I took a little while ago was SYS 175 DIA 110.....I've been back and forth to the GP's to give readings and alter meds, just upped the Amlodipine to 10mg, on maximum Ramipril. Last weeks readings are much better, more like 130, over 80. So that is a huge relief!!!

I've battled an alcohol problem since I was about 20, I don't mean to sound trite, but I am 50% Irish, I just love to have a drink, whisky, Guinness. I can polish off a 15 pack of Guinness in one or two days. I usually get through a bottle of scotch in two days. But as I am no longer a 20 something and I am supposed to be a mature adult, this must stop.

It all seems fun to enjoy ourselves, but if that causes our health to fail, suddenly it's not so fun. I am 46 now, it's time to take health seriously. I've had my fun. Drinking in excess now tends to cause gastritis, which is not nice. And I have been warned about my fatty liver. On a good day, I can be sensible. But part of my mental health problems are a tendency to self destruction, and on many occasions I've nearly self destructed. So I can understand those who struggle with depression.

On a positive note, having been through clinical depression, and acute psychosis, for some time now I have been quite happy and stable. I've never felt better. The trick is, never give up.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
So today has been a bit challenging! This morning I was worried about mums breathing, I thought it was too laboured. I called the doctors, luckily they were awesome, a doctor came out within 30 minutes. He checked blood oxygen, it recorded at 85. He felt that was a problem and recommended to mum to go to hospital, mum refused to do this. We both tried to reason with her, but at that point it did nothing. He said to call him back if she changed her mind and prescribed steroids. I gently argued the case with her after he had gone, eventually she came around and agreed to go. I called the doctors back but he was busy and they couldn’t guarantee he could call back. This was too uncertain, so I called 111. Had a chat, described the situation. They send an ambulance as it was classed as an emergency. They got to us in less than half an hour. They did a great job, the equipment they have is more accurate and reliable than the GP, their readings of blood oxygen were about 93. It’s drops when she exerts herself, but recovers quickly. In their opinion, with the waits and delays and stress on the NHS. They could do little for her. It would have been unnecessary and stressful for her. So they discharged her and said to call 999 if it gets worse.

It’s been a bit stressful, but I’m glad it was not the emergency we thought it was. And this is just the COPD, the dementia today has been creative!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.