Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like the Chromebook market just got a nice little bump with the release of 2 higher end machines.

Asus Chromebook C302

Samsung Chromebook Plus (and upcoming Pro)

While the higher res display and S-Pen of the Samsung has caught my eye, I can't help but drool a little at the option of 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD storage, and a Kabylake CPU of the Asus.

I've been hoping for a convertible option similar to iPP 12.9 or Surface Pro 4 but these both weigh barely more than the iPP 12.9 with a smart keyboard yet add so much functionality. I'm really quite tempted.

I'm keeping a close eye on both those new options. I particularly like the ASUS.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
The Samsung Chromebook Pro is the one I'm waiting on. With an m3, that thing will fly. Plus it was built in collaboration with Google, so it was intended to be used with Android apps. Which explains the gyroscope so games should work just like they do on your phone. This CB has pretty much secured my return to Android for this year. Had a 7 Plus (actually had 3 different ones) that just had too much noise, literal noise - cracking, popping, screeching - in videos, which is a non-starter for me with twins that were born on December 2nd.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Samsung Chromebook Pro is the one I'm waiting on. With an m3, that thing will fly. Plus it was built in collaboration with Google, so it was intended to be used with Android apps. Which explains the gyroscope so games should work just like they do on your phone. This CB has pretty much secured my return to Android for this year. Had a 7 Plus (actually had 3 different ones) that just had too much noise, literal noise - cracking, popping, screeching - in videos, which is a non-starter for me with twins that were born on December 2nd.

Yeah, the Samsung is certainly appealing. Thought I read though that the Pro model isn't coming out until June at the earliest and it'll be a bit more expensive. The Asus already comes with Kabylake and has 64GB storage for only $50 more. I would like to have the Pen functionality and higher res display of the Samsung for sure. Hmmmm...

Regardless, I'm going to wait until next fall, let the market flesh out and see what the Pixel 2 offers since if I switch to a Chromebook, it'll be when I'm ready to go all in with Google. :D

Reactions: epicrayban

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Yeah, the Samsung is certainly appealing. Thought I read though that the Pro model isn't coming out until June at the earliest and it'll be a bit more expensive. The Asus already comes with Kabylake and has 64GB storage for only $50 more. I would like to have the Pen functionality and higher res display of the Samsung for sure. Hmmmm...

Regardless, I'm going to wait until next fall, let the market flesh out and see what the Pixel 2 offers since if I switch to a Chromebook, it'll be when I'm ready to go all in with Google. :D

Everything I've read on the Pro model is the release date is April. I'm also guessing it'll be $499-ish when it's released. The Asus is definitely VERY appealing, but the collaboration with Google is what is selling me on the Sammy. It's pretty much EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. And using a Chromebook is just different enough from an Android phone that it doesn't feel like I'm using the same device (which is pretty much how I feel about using an iPhone/iPad combo).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm definitely going to get the Samsung Chromebook. Don't know how much of a difference ARM vs Skylake will make, but would like this to be as future proof as possible, so I'm going for the Pro.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
What are you guys going to do about storage? Buy an thin SD card to add to it?
I'm definitely going to get the Samsung Chromebook. Don't know how much of a difference ARM vs Skylake will make, but would like this to be as future proof as possible, so I'm going for the Pro.

I'm thinking the same thing - m3 Skylake on a Chromebook should last my tech addict self at least a year. ;)

I'm good with 32gb for the most part, at least when it comes to apps. Then I'll store music and movies on the micro SD card and be good to go. My phone for pictures and videos is where I need the storage. I need at least 128gb on a phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What are you guys going to do about storage? Buy an thin SD card to add to it?

I'm thinking the same thing - m3 Skylake on a Chromebook should last my tech addict self at least a year. ;)

I'm good with 32gb for the most part, at least when it comes to apps. Then I'll store music and movies on the micro SD card and be good to go. My phone for pictures and videos is where I need the storage. I need at least 128gb on a phone.

Yea, as far as storage is concerned, I'm okay with 32gb. Google Drive will take care of my photos. I would probably only need a SD card(which I already have plenty of) for videos and local music. It won't be something I'll be installing game apps on, so I doubt I would even fill up the 32gb space.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

ARM will likely have better media playback and Android compatibility. Intel, on the other hand, is likely better for those preferring dual booting ChromeOS and Linux via crouton. The Chromebook Pro is likely to get the 7th gen Kaby Lake due to higher resolution for media playback and the delay.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you're in the market for an Asus Chromebook Flip C302 make sure you're getting the better spec'd m3 with 64GB storage vs lower Pentium with 32GB storage for the same price.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
If you're in the market for an Asus Chromebook Flip C302 make sure you're getting the better spec'd m3 with 64GB storage vs lower Pentium with 32GB storage for the same price.

I'm thinking about going with the m3. I really wanted to wait for the Samsung Pro, but I'm not sure what it will cost, plus it doesn't have a backlit keyboard. It does have a gyroscope and pen, but I'm not sure they matter to me enough to wait until April.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm thinking about going with the m3. I really wanted to wait for the Samsung Pro, but I'm not sure what it will cost, plus it doesn't have a backlit keyboard. It does have a gyroscope and pen, but I'm not sure they matter to me enough to wait until April.

Feel the same way. I'm actually looking a lot more forward to the Asus. Definitely going with the higher spec one.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Feel the same way. I'm actually looking a lot more forward to the Asus. Definitely going with the higher spec one.

I do like that the Sammy was built in collaboration with Google. But I'm impatient and I just don't know if I want to wait and then find out the Pro is $599 or something. The Asus is available at B&H for $499 with no tax outside of NY. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I do like that the Sammy was built in collaboration with Google. But I'm impatient and I just don't know if I want to wait and then find out the Pro is $599 or something. The Asus is available at B&H for $499 with no tax outside of NY. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Help me understand the appeal that Google and Samsung teamed up? I'm not informed about it. What does that mean? What did they do together exactly?
[doublepost=1483773937][/doublepost]When exactly is the 8gb RAM version of the Asus Chromebook going to come out? I'm a little confused.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Help me understand the appeal that Google and Samsung teamed up? I'm not informed about it. What does that mean? What did they do together exactly?
[doublepost=1483773937][/doublepost]When exactly is the 8gb RAM version of the Asus Chromebook going to come out? I'm a little confused.

I guess the thought would be that it would work a little more cohesively with Android apps and whatnot. I don't know what they did together, exactly, however.

And I haven't heard anything about the 8gb Asus. For me, that would be overkill. I think 4gb and an m3 is pretty much perfect for me and my Chromebook needs.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can't wait for reviews. When is the release date for the Asus? Anybody know. The info out there doesn't seem clear.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Can't wait for reviews. When is the release date for the Asus? Anybody know. The info out there doesn't seem clear.

It's available now.

Asus Chromebook Flip C302

EDIT: Just read back and saw you were also inquiring about the 8GB model, not sure if this question was in reference to that. If so, I haven't seen specifics either. I'm curious to see what the 8GB RAM, 128GB storage model will cost.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's available now.

Asus Chromebook Flip C302

EDIT: Just read back and saw you were also inquiring about the 8GB model, not sure if this question was in reference to that. If so, I haven't seen specifics either. I'm curious to see what the 8GB RAM, 128GB storage model will cost.

Nice. I'm waiting for reviews too.

I'm wondering if I'm better off just forking money over to apple to replace my busted battery of my rMBP 13". I wonder how much that would cost. No longer has applecare. The battery dies and shuts off at around the 60% mark, I discovered on my last vacation. :T

Edit: looks like it would be $200 to replace the battery through apple. Hm, for 300 more do I just get the Chromebook and leave my rMBP just continuously plugged into my thunderbolt display forever? Maybe...

Can't wait for reviews.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Until a Chromebook has a real detachable 2 in 1 similar to the galaxy tabpro S and stable Android play store apps not in beta status I will continue to hold off...

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
plus it doesn't have a backlit keyboard

wtf%20(2).gif

How did I miss that, I really wanted his but not without a backlight keyboard

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I don't trust ASUS or Dell. At least when it comes to reliability. I do like the ones from Samsung and Toshiba. The best Chromebook ever still comes from Google - Chromebook Pixel (2015)

+ Premium design
+ Great touchscreen display
+ Great keyboard
+ Great battery life
+ USB-C and still has a pair of USB-A ports and SD slot (something Apple should have done)

The only problem was its huge price tag but Google discontinued it fast. But these MacBook-like for Chromebooks can be had for cheap nowadays but you might as well wait for its successor which will offer the Andromeda OS. Until now, the Chromebook Pixel 2 is still one of the finest devices that Google has ever made.

13.png

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't trust ASUS or Dell. At least when it comes to reliability. I do like the ones from Samsung and Toshiba. The best Chromebook ever still comes from Google - Chromebook Pixel (2015)

+ Premium design
+ Great touchscreen display
+ Great keyboard
+ Great battery life
+ USB-C and still has a pair of USB-A ports and SD slot (something Apple should have done)

The only problem was its huge price tag but Google discontinued it fast. But these MacBook-like for Chromebooks can be had for cheap nowadays but you might as well wait for its successor which will offer the Andromeda OS. Until now, the Chromebook Pixel 2 is still one of the finest devices that Google has ever made.

13.png

I'd love for Google to announce some follow up to this.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Until a Chromebook has a real detachable 2 in 1 similar to the galaxy tabpro S and stable Android play store apps not in beta status I will continue to hold off...

Agree here. I have a Tab Pro S and while I'm still not fan of Windows, especially for a tablet, the form factor and display are terrific. If it was running Chrome, my iPad Pro 12.9 would likely see a lot less use. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.