Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I assume this is the one at BB?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-fl...c-flash-memory-silver/5655118.p?skuId=5655118

I dunno folks, set me straight cause you can get laptops with better processors and good resolution for not much more cost when there are sales.

Chrome Unboxed advised against getting the lower spec'd Best Buy version vs Amazon and BH Photo.

People need to experience a Chromebook before comparing to laptops. Chromebooks have the best browser experience, most run Android apps and have near zero maintanence overhead.

https://www.amazon.com/C302CA-DHM4-12-5-Inch-Touchscreen-Chromebook-storage/dp/B01N5G5PG2

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304020-REG/asus_c302ca_dhm4_c302ca_64gb_chromebook.html

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Reactions: M. Gustave

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Chrome Unboxed advised against getting the lower spec'd Best Buy version vs Amazon and BH Photo.

People need to experience a Chromebook before comparing to laptops. Chromebooks have the best browser experience, most run Android apps and have near zero maintanence overhead.

https://www.amazon.com/C302CA-DHM4-12-5-Inch-Touchscreen-Chromebook-storage/dp/B01N5G5PG2

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304020-REG/asus_c302ca_dhm4_c302ca_64gb_chromebook.html

Exactly how I feel regarding the comparison. Not to mention you can do some work on them. They're basically replacing Android tablets too. I'm a huge fan and I think their market share will continue to grow.

Reactions: tbayrgs

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I guess to play devil's advocate a bit, the allure of chrome books for schools and parents buying for students is the PRICE.

Going to $499 for the variant BB is selling (which is ridiculous) or even the one that Amazon and BH carries is quite a stretch.

And what cannot be done on the cheaper Chromebooks than the $499 one?
[doublepost=1485096254][/doublepost]
I posted the official link, and the three current "stable" models, above in this thread.

Other models have to be in a beta dev mode.

Did you install the Play Store on the one you purchased? That one is all I would care to spend on honesty at this point. Would you supply a link for the one you got on Amazon, I just want to be absolutely sure I am getting the right one.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I guess to play devil's advocate a bit, the allure of chrome books for schools and parents buying for students is the PRICE.

I think that is a very small part of it, you can get a cheap Dell Windows 11" laptop for similar prices.

It's more about security, ease of use with multiple user accounts, integration with Google services and cloud storage.

Did you install the Play Store on the one you purchased? That one is all I would care to spend on honesty at this point. Would you supply a link for the one you got on Amazon, I just want to be absolutely sure I am getting the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I installed the actual Play Store, not the beta. It works fine, no issues, other than apps not being optimized for a laptop screen. The small, portrait phone versions work and look best.

Reactions: AppleRobert

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think that is a very small part of it, you can get a cheap Dell Windows 11" laptop for similar prices.

It's more about security, ease of use with multiple user accounts, integration with Google services and cloud storage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I installed the actual Play Store, not the beta. It works fine, no issues, other than apps not being optimized for a laptop screen. The small, portrait phone versions work and look best.

Thanks, is this the same one?

https://www.costco.com/Acer-R11-2-in-1-Chromebook---Intel-Celeron-.product.100233126.html

Not sure if they carry it in store though.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Going to $499 for the variant BB is selling (which is ridiculous) or even the one that Amazon and BH carries is quite a stretch.

And what cannot be done on the cheaper Chromebooks than the $499 one?
[doublepost=1485096254][/doublepost]

I like my Pixel so much that when the new ones arrive this year I'll be getting one this is the only laptop I've ever had that I don't have the need or desire to mess with it. The Linux side of it runs great with the function keys and track pad working perfectly because it shares a the kernel heck I can even run Linux in a browser window if I want. I open my laptop and it boots and logs in all on it's own the aspect ratio and screen are great, keys are stellar, track pad is perfect the only thing I'd change in the whole package is I'd like three finger drag.

I really can't say enough about the experience of using a Chromebook or at least this Chromebook

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Am shuffling between one of these Chromebooks or the HP Spectre x360 2017 model. While the Chromebooks would be perfect for my needs, the Spectre has the edge of being able to handle video conversions and a larger screen etc. Buying the Spectre would mean I could retire my iMac, but the Chromebooks would fill every other need I have for almost 2/3rds less money.

I've grown to like Google's services (just not Android). I use Windows at work, but I am a little skittish about making the jump to another operating system as my prime mover despite my huffing and hawing. Right now, the Chromebooks have the edge.

I will definitely keep researching them.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...While the Chromebooks would be perfect for my needs, the Spectre has the edge of being able to handle video conversions...

Yes, this issue kept me tied to Windows for a long time as I used MakeMKV and Handbrake a lot. I wasn't a pirate or anything, just converting my own dvds to watch on my phone and iPad.

But being honest with myself I realized I hated the tedious process of conversion, and the overhead of large local storage, duplicate backups, cables, etc.

I minimized to Netflix and iTunes for movies and tv. Google Play would be fine as well.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes, this issue kept me tied to Windows for a long time as I used MakeMKV and Handbrake a lot. I wasn't a pirate or anything, just converting my own dvds to watch on my phone and iPad.

But being honest with myself I realized I hated the tedious process of conversion, and the overhead of large local storage, duplicate backups, cables, etc.

I minimized to Netflix and iTunes for movies and tv. Google Play would be fine as well.

Lol...that me me exactly. I converted my entire existing library and would do the same to any new blu ray disks added to it. With 3 kids, seems like I constantly was ripping/encoding something from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc so they could watch on their iPods or in the car. :p

As they're all a bit older now, the only movies we generally buy are Disney properties (Marvel, Star Wars) that thanks to Disney Movies Anywhere, are immediately available in my libraries across all ecosystems.

The only video work I do now involves editing personal home video but that still far simpler to do on a desktop OS, or on iOS (believe it or not) so still can't quite commit fully to Chrome OS.

Reactions: M. Gustave

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

If I wasn't so addicted to foreign films which are not available in their native dub on the above platforms (and Amazon), I would be happy to do the same. Depending on what happens with Apple (the store leader where I had rotten service got in touch again), I may not jump ship though I will still keep one eye on Chromebooks since I use a lot more of Google's services. It may very well be the iPad/portable replacement I want.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Don't know if y'all heard about this, but some big news out of Apple about their Mac lineup. It's really nice to see some humility from them, finally.

Apple admits the Mac Pro was a mess
The company is ready to reconcile with pros

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission

Speaking to a small gathering of news outlets yesterday, including BuzzFeed, TechCrunch, and Daring Fireball, Apple acknowledged that it had been a while since the company put a focus on pro desktops, announced minor spec updates to the existing Mac Pro, and said that a new Mac Pro model is in the works.

But perhaps most importantly, Apple admitted that its flashy 2013 Mac Pro redesign was a mistake, and executives indicated that Apple intends to better support its professional users in the future.

Apple will release a pro iMac later this year

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15176088/apple-imac-pro-release-date

“We have big plans for the iMac,” said Phil Schiller, Apple’s SVP of worldwide marketing, in an interview withBuzzFeed News. “We’re going to begin making configurations of iMac specifically with the pro customer in mind.”

Apple working on ‘completely rethought' Mac Pro and pro display

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175916/apple-mac-pro-redesign-plans

Apple’s unusually honest admissions about the Mac Pro come at a time when the company is being accused of abandoning the Mac and macOS. Apple’s latest MacBook Pros debuted with a Touch Bar, but professionals have complained of poor battery life and not enough power and ports on the laptops. Apple famously unveiled its Mac Pro with some classic bravado, with Schiller stating “can’t innovate any more, my ass,” but it seems we’ll be waiting another year until we see Apple’s next true innovation for the Mac Pro.

Not a lot of info, more just statements, but it's a start. As someone who was exploring Chromebooks due to Apple's direction with their computers, this could put me back on course. Would love to update my rMBP 13" sometime in the near future (next year or two...).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Not sure how any of Apples products correlate with Chromebooks. Apple would never.

I probably should have started a new thread. I just picked up where I left off last time discussing Chromebooks and computers in general.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't know if y'all heard about this, but some big news out of Apple about their Mac lineup. It's really nice to see some humility from them, finally.

Apple admits the Mac Pro was a mess
The company is ready to reconcile with pros

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission

Speaking to a small gathering of news outlets yesterday, including BuzzFeed, TechCrunch, and Daring Fireball, Apple acknowledged that it had been a while since the company put a focus on pro desktops, announced minor spec updates to the existing Mac Pro, and said that a new Mac Pro model is in the works.

But perhaps most importantly, Apple admitted that its flashy 2013 Mac Pro redesign was a mistake, and executives indicated that Apple intends to better support its professional users in the future.

Apple will release a pro iMac later this year

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15176088/apple-imac-pro-release-date

“We have big plans for the iMac,” said Phil Schiller, Apple’s SVP of worldwide marketing, in an interview withBuzzFeed News. “We’re going to begin making configurations of iMac specifically with the pro customer in mind.”

Apple working on ‘completely rethought' Mac Pro and pro display

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175916/apple-mac-pro-redesign-plans

Apple’s unusually honest admissions about the Mac Pro come at a time when the company is being accused of abandoning the Mac and macOS. Apple’s latest MacBook Pros debuted with a Touch Bar, but professionals have complained of poor battery life and not enough power and ports on the laptops. Apple famously unveiled its Mac Pro with some classic bravado, with Schiller stating “can’t innovate any more, my ass,” but it seems we’ll be waiting another year until we see Apple’s next true innovation for the Mac Pro.

Not a lot of info, more just statements, but it's a start. As someone who was exploring Chromebooks due to Apple's direction with their computers, this could put me back on course. Would love to update my rMBP 13" sometime in the near future (next year or two...).

First, there's now an Alternatives to Mac Hardware subforum (who knew? :D) so might be a good idea to have this thread and discussion there.

Yes, seeing Apple express a bit of humility and acknowledge the err of their ways, so to speak, is both unusual and quite welcome. I think the uproar from the 'professional' Mac community final reached a point where ignoring it further could have been quite detrimental. While this niche of devices is far outside of my personal needs, I'll be curious to see what Apple does.

That being said, the Macbooks make up the overwelming majority of their computer revenue and I honestly can't see Apple reversing course with what I personally consider to be serious flaws in their devices (inferior keyboards thanks to their obsession with thinness, connectivity limitations, and the touchbar). I listen to quite a few Applecentric podcasts and short of the ultimate Apple minion Rene Ritchie, I have yet to hear a single serious Apple devotee offer any praise for the touchbar and in fact, most see no benefit from it whatsoever. Reversing course here with be a giant mea culpa from Apple, something I don't think they're capable of.

I have an aging Mac Mini used as the central household desktop hub that will need replacing at somepoint and I fear I won't see a replacement from Apple, ever. I don't need an AiO and having that as my only feasible desktop Mac option would frustrate me to no end.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
First, there's now an Alternatives to Mac Hardware subforum (who knew? :D) so might be a good idea to have this thread and discussion there.

Yes, seeing Apple express a bit of humility and acknowledge the err of their ways, so to speak, is both unusual and quite welcome. I think the uproar from the 'professional' Mac community final reached a point where ignoring it further could have been quite detrimental. While this niche of devices is far outside of my personal needs, I'll be curious to see what Apple does.

That being said, the Macbooks make up the overwelming majority of their computer revenue and I honestly can't see Apple reversing course with what I personally consider to be serious flaws in their devices (inferior keyboards thanks to their obsession with thinness, connectivity limitations, and the touchbar). I listen to quite a few Applecentric podcasts and short of the ultimate Apple minion Rene Ritchie, I have yet to hear a single serious Apple devotee offer any praise for the touchbar and in fact, most see no benefit from it whatsoever. Reversing course here with be a giant mea culpa from Apple, something I don't think they're capable of.

I have an aging Mac Mini used as the central household desktop hub that will need replacing at somepoint and I fear I won't see a replacement from Apple, ever. I don't need an AiO and having that as my only feasible desktop Mac option would frustrate me to no end.

Woah, had no idea about that forum. Interesting. Thanks.

Great points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.