Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to bring this up again but in an attempt to upgrade my Mac soon, I'm very curious to try the 2673. I still can't get why its spec is identical with 2667 but can have 20W of TDP lower? Is this something not been told by Intel? I know 2673 is the OEM processor and not widely available for retails sold.

How is your experience with this processor so far? Thanks in advance
Sorry to say but I sold my Mac Pro when the Apple Silicon machines were released. For my workload (software/web development), they just made more sense. That CPU definitely served me well though and the machine ran cool, even in the Australian summers, with no AC. I'm not 100% sure about the story behind that model of Xeon, I think I'd read somewhere it was specially developed for Amazon for the data centres but I could be miles off so don't quote me. If you can get one though, it's definitely worth a try.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Sorry to bring this up again but in an attempt to upgrade my Mac soon, I'm very curious to try the 2673. I still can't get why its spec is identical with 2667 but can have 20W of TDP lower? Is this something not been told by Intel? I know 2673 is the OEM processor and not widely available for retails sold.

How is your experience with this processor so far? Thanks in advance
Maybe it is newer, come CPU come after a while and they were more power efficient

Natalia22

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2022
Hi all. I decided to completely replace the thermal paste in the MP6.1, since I have never done this in this model since the purchase. Just for fun, I also replaced the 1680 v2 130W processor with a 2673 v2 110W. The computer has been working properly for over a month now. Do you think I should put back the 1680 v2 the next time I clean it?
I will attach screenshots of Mac Fan Control before/after (all programs were disabled, the computer was idle for half an hour).
There was very little dust inside the MacPro, the room temperature averaged +25°C, thermal paste MX-6.
D700 GPU, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

Mac Fan Control before:after.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Reactions: Rendell001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.