Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
New record high for Ethereum

86C617DD-6EA1-4B6B-B505-727FEDD497A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Ripple on a run. Bill mode this month. Dash also in Bull mode
C7E173BD-E60A-4055-8AF3-02037F9439AD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
My coworker has really gotten into this.

He bought 132,000 Verge (XVG) coins on December 12th at 0.9 cents, and it hit either 26 or 28 cents yesterday and is currently low-mid 20s. He's made a lot of money in one week off that perfectly timed buy.

I started looking into it and decided to get on the train since Verge still shows a lot of promise and is almost guaranteed to hit $1 and beyond with the Wraith protocol, Korean exchanges, and just the fact it's a better privacy coin than Monero and is now being plugged by McAfee. However, the murky self reporting capital gains/losses, and the fact you need to start out on Coinbase, and then do several transfers to actually turn your dollars into Verge (each of which are taxable/reportable steps), including setting up another account on Binance or similar, was really a turn off. I hemmed and hawed on it when it was at 6 cents, 12 cents, 16 cents, and then last night decided I better just do it. Set up a coinbase account, had problems linking my account, then when I finally did, tried to make a purchase of $700 worth of Litecoin and my bank blocked it and froze my account.

Decided the universe was trying to tell me it wasn't meant to be, and ended up just deleting the Coinbase account altogether. Figure I already lost out on the life changing money opportunity, so oh well.

Hope it goes to $100 so my coworker can have 13 million bucks, but I don't think the amount of coins (16.5 billion) will allow that (vs. like 15 million coins for Monero). Could hit $5 though, which would put him north of half a million.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

He bought 132,000 Verge (XVG) coins on December 12th at 0.9 cents, and it hit either 26 or 28 cents yesterday and is currently low-mid 20s. He's made a lot of money in one week off that perfectly timed buy.

I started looking into it and decided to get on the train since Verge still shows a lot of promise and is almost guaranteed to hit $1 and beyond with the Wraith protocol, Korean exchanges, and just the fact it's a better privacy coin than Monero and is now being plugged by McAfee. However, the murky self reporting capital gains/losses, and the fact you need to start out on Coinbase, and then do several transfers to actually turn your dollars into Verge (each of which are taxable/reportable steps), including setting up another account on Binance or similar, was really a turn off. I hemmed and hawed on it when it was at 6 cents, 12 cents, 16 cents, and then last night decided I better just do it. Set up a coinbase account, had problems linking my account, then when I finally did, tried to make a purchase of $700 worth of Litecoin and my bank blocked it and froze my account.

Decided the universe was trying to tell me it wasn't meant to be, and ended up just deleting the Coinbase account altogether. Figure I already lost out on the life changing money opportunity, so oh well.

Hope it goes to $100 so my coworker can have 13 million bucks, but I don't think the amount of coins (16.5 billion) will allow that (vs. like 15 million coins for Monero). Could hit $5 though, which would put him north of half a million.

If you get in now you’re in before the early adopters, as they won’t get in until February / March. Right now you’d be earlier than 99% of the population. There’s always new coins coming out with great promise. I can’t speak on Verge as I know nothing about it, it’s a big turn off to me with the extremely high supply as you pointed out. If you’re thinking of dropping the whole thing because of one little hiccup with a bank, that sucks.

Coins with huge upside in the next month are OMG and PPT, both of which can be acquired on binance.

Reactions: puma1552

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I just started looking into this myself.

I use multibit for my BTC.

Got into ETH when it was $13. I have 50.84 ETH on my phone! I use Jaxx for mobile and may use it for Mac OS. I need to get the ETH off of my phone as it has become too valuable. Going to download Jaxx for Mac OS tonight and give it a whirl.

I also am investigating some hardware solutions.

How is your ETH doing now. Last time I looked it was at $700
[doublepost=1514327453][/doublepost]
I'm a poor school teacher so I don't have thousands to invest. But I did have $40. I bought Bitcoin. I currently have $100 in my Bitcoin wallet (I use Coinbase), and I've put $100 in the bank twice.

How is it now?? :)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Also in a volatile market use the 20% rule: Every time you make 20% profit -cash it in.

I've been following closely the last few weeks and knew it would go way down. Tempted to buy some more white it was at the bottom, but I didn't. It'll go back up again. I'll take money out then, cause I'm not sure what will happen next.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Which exchanges are people on here using?

--------

Bought into the XVG hype two weeks ago. Quadrupled my money and sold the profits for BTC. Now it looks like XVG is completely falling apart due to empty promises from the devs.

Have you guys found other promising alt coins on the rise?

Currently hold LTC, BTC, XRP, IOT, NAV, XVG, and TRX (turning into another pump and dump coin like XVG)

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

I cashed out my verge at 19 cents..wish I did it when it was at 28. Rumors going around that wraith will never be developed and all the developers but 1 has abandoned the project. I would advice your coworker to pull out at least some of his profits. Because if it turns out these rumors are true. It will completely crash.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I cashed out my verge at 19 cents..wish I did it when it was at 28. Rumors going around that wraith will never be developed and all the developers but 1 has abandoned the project. I would advice your coworker to pull out at least some of his profits. Because if it turns out these rumors are true. It will completely crash.

funny you mention that, i was reading about the FUD on reddit today

if wraith happens this week, itll hit a buck, if wraith doesnt, itll go to nothing...my other coworker jumped on xvg today lol

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Lol yup. Wraith has been rumored for weeks. Nothing but false promises
[doublepost=1514420569][/doublepost]
my other coworker jumped on xvg today lol

Ugh. He might be able to squeeze out a tiny profit. Buy at 0.13-0.14 and dump at 0.18-0.19.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I read an outlook report a week ago stating that the future of blockchain currency, which is what I assume BTC et al are, will be better than it is now in 2018-2021. There should be a large surge and leveling off as more businesses and more commerce moves to secure and stabilize the digital currency.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I read an outlook report a week ago stating that the future of blockchain currency, which is what I assume BTC et al are, will be better than it is now in 2018-2021. There should be a large surge and leveling off as more businesses and more commerce moves to secure and stabilize the digital currency.

until then its a pump n dump or short term hold at most for a few months

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
until then its a pump n dump or short term hold at most for a few months
Precisely... if you bought when it was in the hundreds or high thousands. Anyone who bought in the really early days will win regardless of how high or low the value of BTC goes. They're still coming out in the green. People are buying in high value tech stock now. After a split, it makes sense because it will go up, but it's a risk. Tech stock can be volatile. I bought into most of the high tech stock back when it was dirt cheap years and years ago. I'm good, but someone buying Apple now by the handful hoping to see a higher hundreds or thousand value is really betting on a very good development. Those who bought a lot of stock in say Amazon or Netflix or Google when it was sub 100 or even lower are in it for the long haul. Though I'd argue Amazon is more diversified in what it does than Google.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
funny you mention that, i was reading about the FUD on reddit today

if wraith happens this week, itll hit a buck, if wraith doesnt, itll go to nothing...my other coworker jumped on xvg today lol
Yep but it seems more true than FUD to me. Especially since wraith got delayed twice already...this just may be another delay. Hopefully it isn't though but as they say...where there is smoke there is fire.
[doublepost=1514428638][/doublepost]
Lol yup. Wraith has been rumored for weeks. Nothing but false promises
[doublepost=1514420569][/doublepost]

Ugh. He might be able to squeeze out a tiny profit. Buy at 0.13-0.14 and dump at 0.18-0.19.
More like months lol. I made out with a little bit more than 10x profit. I won't get greedy...thats more than good gains in any investment.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
the amount of drama swirling around xvg is comical.

kinda glad my bank blocked that ish and i just decided i didnt care enough to deal with the hassle...but its fun playing with coworkers' money.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I'll guess and say that BTC will hit 25-28K by the end of 2018.
Best way is to diversify into a few different ones and pretend you bought a few lotto tickets. Either you will or lose. Figure within 1-2 years the numbers get called out. Consider it a gamble of what ever you can afford to lose. At the end of the day in business there is a saying “No risk, no gain”. Gains or losses do not come from nothing. Aside from inheritance of course lol.. I’m order for anything to appreciate in value someone must own something. The same of course goes for losses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.