Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Absolutely not. Remember, the average G5 doesnt even have a bluetooth module.

I agree, but a long shot would that the KB has BT and the mouse communicates with it. Doing that would negate the BT as an option in the G5, which is why it would be a long shot. Unless the mouse can work corded or uncorded, it can't be shipped with the G5.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i don't know about multiple buttons coming, but i wouldn't be surprised to see bluetooth keyboard and mouse anytime now. apple is on a roll in my books and here's why...
1. announcement of g5 to get everybody giddy about apple.
2. bluetooth key/mouse, new monitors, and other smaller items come out. naturally everyone is gonna want to pick them up for their current g4s.
3. g5 should start shipping about the time they announce the new 15" al powerbook, which of course won't ship for a few months...
does any one else see a pattern here? apple loves to hook and reel us every couple of months, because it's great for business. has anyone noticed that this "pattern" has been very beneficial for apple stock in the last few months? now the question is, what's next: g5 powerbook, g4 ibook, and/or 19-20" imac, video ipod?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, i think they could do it on a friday. they released jaguar on a friday, so why con't the do this?

ok, here's my idea, they have 2 models

both can work wired, or unwired.
wireless has a rechargable battery in it that charges when plugged in. it can charge as long as it is plugged in regardless of use.

pro mouse-2 button scroll wheel
regular mouse-one button.

regular ships with consumer and pro ships with pro, or you can change it around in your order.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Bluetooth in the G5 is a BTO option. So if you've already ordered your G5, it's too late.

As for batteries, I would not buy a cordless mouse unless it used a user-replaceable battery.

capitalhood

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
Washington D.C.
hmm i wonder...

i dont know, does anyone think they could make it a bluetooth and wired mouse? because wireless takes recharging or battery replacement why not let it be a bluetooth mouse that can plug to the computer?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: hmm i wonder...

Originally posted by capitalhood
i dont know, does anyone think they could make it a bluetooth and wired mouse? because wireless takes recharging or battery replacement why not let it be a bluetooth mouse that can plug to the computer?

that's what my idea was. plug it in to charge and use at the same time.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by job
It's just two short days away so I guess we'll see soon enough if this rumor has any basis in fact. Although I'm not that thrilled at the prospect of a Bluetooth mouse as the Logictech wireless mice eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Not true. I have a Logitech Cordless Freedom combo mouse/keyboard I use for 8 hours every day at work, and the 2 AA batteries that came with both the keyboard and mouse have lasted for almost a year in both of them. That's right, I have never replaced them and they work great. And FYI, I type 80 wpm, so I know they get used.

At home I have a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse that has a rechargeable base station. I have to charge this one about once a week for some reason, but it came with a pair of AA NiMH batteries, so that's not really an issue. Just stick it in the base station for a couple hours and it's charged.

What makes you think Apple's wireless mice will be any worse than Logitech's? I actually think Apple's products might be better, and if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's wireless bluetooth mouse runs for 1 whole year off of just a pair of batteries, or is rechargeable.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
!

why don't they put the same batteries they put in the iPods in there, or maybe smaler versions. 8 hours of music playback can definatly last at least a day of clicking around.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Bluetooth Mouse

Perhaps the site meant they will announce Bluetooth mice in Japan on Friday the 25th.

Last time Apple released a product on Friday (not announced, released), I was there, working for Apple. It was Jaguar. And let me tell you, all the support engineering and response people had gone home already, so when the hairy calls came in, we didn't have a clue!

Apple learned from that first weekend fiasco.

If they do release it on Friday, I bet I know some people who will be working overtime. Else, they won't ship then.

Jaedreth

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by cubist
Bluetooth in the G5 is a BTO option. So if you've already ordered your G5, it's too late.
Actually untill Apple moves an order into production status (or whatever they call it) you can change a BTO system. I doubt any of the G5's have been moved to production status yet. However, if there is a change you want, I would make it soon.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think Apple could make a multi-button mouse while maintaining their mantra of 1 button = simpler for the every day user. As long as they call the new mouse Super Duper Pro Mouse, Steve can be like, "most people will never need more than 1 button, but we feel that there is a small market that requires more than 1, so here it is." Regardless of the validity of that statement, I think it could happen. Defining it as "Pro' would allow Apple to not admit they were wrong about the 2 button mouse. we all know Steve doesn't like to be wrong.

Read _Insanely_Great_. Then you will understand the mouse thing. There was a holy war over whether to even include a mouse with the Macintosh. But the Lisa team had tried something like 150 mice. Basically, people made tons more mistakes using a 2 button mouse. The single button mouse led to double clicking. So in the end, we have the Lisa team to thank for the single button. Apple just never got past that initial testing with people who had never even imagined a GUI before. They must have been damn confused, and multiple mouse buttons must have just made it all worse. Now, of course, over 20 years later, most people know how to use a mouse to navigate a GUI, and a second, third, or fourth button isn't really slowing anyone down.

Here's a great quote from the book, "...the Macintosh's cost was the subject of a heated internal struggle. Steve Jobs wanted it $1,995, a price sufficient to make money but low enough to interest masses of users who weren't even thinking of buying a computer; John Sculley hoped to boost short-term profits by pricing it at $2,495." As we all know, Steve lost, and Apple started to lose right there and has been losing ever since.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by panphage
Read _Insanely_Great_. Then you will understand the mouse thing.

So, you are saying that there is in no chance in hell for a multi button mouse? Come 'on Apple! Help me dump this M$ Intellimouse!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Although it is an on-going debate which I refuse to enter, I wish Apple would released a multi-button Bluetooth mouse. It would make my PowerBook 12" complete.

They could ship one-button mice with their systems as default, and those users who specifically wanted a multi-button would obviously realise how to use it (which is why they ask for one), and could specify it as a BTO option. Therefore 'new' users wouldn't be confused by multi-buttons, and 'advanced' users get their wish granted without wasting money on a single button and without funding Microsoft (Logitech are OK tho :wink:.)

Just my opinion, I'm not considering the history, marketing, anything, it's just my opinion.

AppleMatt (doesn't want a flame war!)

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Although it is an on-going debate which I refuse to enter, I wish Apple would released a multi-button Bluetooth mouse. It would make my PowerBook 12" complete.

They could ship one-button mice with their systems as default, and those users who specifically wanted a multi-button would obviously realise how to use it (which is why they ask for one), and could specify it as a BTO option. Therefore 'new' users wouldn't be confused by multi-buttons, and 'advanced' users get their wish granted without wasting money on a single button and without funding Microsoft (Logitech are OK tho :wink:.)

Just my opinion, I'm not considering the history, marketing, anything, it's just my opinion.

AppleMatt (doesn't want a flame war!)

Its a sad day when an advanced user is somebody who uses more than 1 mouse button :)

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Its a sad day when an advanced user is somebody who uses more than 1 mouse button :)

I was hoping someone would pick up on that :)

AppleMatt

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Maybe tomorrow, Apple will release the 15" Alubook with the Bluetooth mouse, "Introducing you new Powerbook's best Friend""The Apple Bluetooth Mouse"

withnail

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
If they were to make a cordless mouse, anyone know the feasibility of having an induction recharging system similar to Braun and Sonicare toothbrushes? (For those not familiar, you just set the toothbrush on a base and it recharges, there are no plugs to speak of and no metal/metal contact.)

Maybe they could have a "mouse pad" tethered by USB/FireWire that charges the mouse while used on it, but doesn't need it, assuming the battery has juice?

Or maybe some kinda recharging based on gyroscopics. You know, just moving the mouse around during use would charge it. OK, now I'm just being silly...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by withnail
If they were to make a cordless mouse, anyone know the feasibility of having an induction recharging system similar to Braun and Sonicare toothbrushes? (For those not familiar, you just set the toothbrush on a base and it recharges, there are no plugs to speak of and no metal/metal contact.)

Maybe they could have a "mouse pad" tethered by USB/FireWire that charges the mouse while used on it, but doesn't need it, assuming the battery has juice?

Or maybe some kinda recharging based on gyroscopics. You know, just moving the mouse around during use would charge it. OK, now I'm just being silly...

that's a good idea. maybe in a few years it could get it's charge by means of static.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I think this is fake. Devices that have bluetooth or wi-fi almost always have to go to the FCC for approval. That's how people knew about the Palm Tungsten T, C, the late SE T608... etc. I don't remember ever seeing this application... so I think this is fake.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
maybe it already has ggone through it a while ago? something the rumor sites all missed?

The rumor sites don't miss anything and would not have missed this one. Remember that the Aluminum Powerbooks needed FCC approval.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
wires

I dont understand why many of you want wires to connect to the computer for the mouse and computer for any reason. Why pay extra for a WIRELESS mouse when you have to plug it into the computer. I have a wireless mouse with a dock that you have to plug into the usb port. I wish I didnt have to plug it in. You should just have a dock or something that plugs into the wall that you can put on your desk, wile you sleep theres plenty of time for it to charge. For someone that said what if it runs out of battery on a trip, I say use the trackpad anyways you'd need to use the mouse a for days before it ran out. With bluetooth there should be no wires coming from the computer period or its no better than anyother wireless mouse whats the point of apple making something if they can't make it better?

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Re: Re: hmm i wonder...

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
that's what my idea was. plug it in to charge and use at the same time.
I agree this seems to give you the best of both worlds - wonder how long it would take to charge over firewire I wonder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.