Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
I was just popping this out there to see if anyone else who have been having random bluetooth disconnection and reconnections with bluetooth devices connected to the Mac. Mainly keyboard, trackpad etc.

I have reported it to Apple and I was wondering if it was affecting others.

I have removed the bluetooth preference file. I tried to reset the bluetooth via the terminal and repaired everything, hopefully that will sort it, or failing that a reinstall.

Reactions: Wjk

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I've upgraded my M1 Pro 14' from Ventura to the Sonoma RC build. Since the update, I've started to experience random lag uses (mouse cursor slow to move, slow keyboard input) when using Magic Keyboard and Touchpad. These were rock solid under Ventura. I really hope that the GM build fixes the issue.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
I've upgraded my M1 Pro 14' from Ventura to the Sonoma RC build. Since the update, I've started to experience random lag uses (mouse cursor slow to move, slow keyboard input) when using Magic Keyboard and Touchpad. These were rock solid under Ventura. I really hope that the GM build fixes the issue.
have you reported it?

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
That's good to know it's not me then. Today (touch wood) has been ok. Deleting the bluetooth preferences file I think worked. But I know this is only temporary solution.

Reactions: PommeFruits

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
yes and no. The disconnection has been reduced. But there is definitely a bug, if you can use your bluetooth devices with a cable to avoid this. I know it's not ideal. that's what I am having to do.

coffeym

macrumors member
May 16, 2016
UK
Got the same issue. Reasonably frequent as well…have had two disconnections today by lunchtime.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
I think the more people experience this the quicker they will launch a bug fix. I did submit during the beta testing a lot of files. reports. Video etc. Plus I lengthily report to Apple, which was responded too by one of the engineers.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
Yes i m experiencing random disconnections. Quite annoying.

Why do they always break something basic and working properly in previous versions.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
Yes i m experiencing random disconnections. Quite annoying.

Why do they always break something basic and working properly in previous versions.
To be honest. They seem to be in a rush to push things out. I don’t understand why you would want to have widgets from your iPhone on your desktop!

I mean can someone explain to me what the rational is and how is that going to help me with work flow? Cos I haven’t got a clue!

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
You can add emojis and widgets all you want , no problem.

BUT why the fek do you break WIFI and behaviour of stage manager also changed. Don't if its a bug or a change.

shash450

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Echoing others on here, I installed the public release on my MacBook Air 13" M2 through Software Update, and I have multiple trackpad and keyboard disconnections a day. I have to toggle bluetooth on and off each time to bring it back. I'll try deleting the BT preference file and report back if that works. Super annoying though!

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Same here. Clean installation too, and Magic keyboard/mouse/trackpad would randomly disconnect and reconnect.

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Do you guys have AirBuddy installed? I disabled it and it's been ok for the past two hours. Will keep monitoring...

Update: I spoke too soon. Uninstalled Airbuddy and it's still happening.

Last edited:

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
Hey guys,

I have 3 crashes on Bluetooth within 2 hours. This is very annoying, I lost all connection during that time.

MBP14 M1 Pro on Sonoma

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Yes, Studio Ultra keeps disconnecting from trackpad, mouse, and keyboard since Sonoma. Then click them several times and they reconnect. Annoying!!!

Interesting thing is don't have this issue on 2019 16"MBP. Everything stays connected on it with Sonoma. It's the mac I do the beta's on.

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I just had this happen to me on my M1 Mac Studio with my Magic Keyboard and Mouse. Both just disconnected right in the middle of typing something. This time, clicking them or turning them on/off didn't get them to reconnect again. I had to plug a cable into the keyboard to finish typing was I was doing - and then about 2 minutes later the mouse reconnected.

Anyone know of a terminal command that can list bluetooth logs? Would love to know if BT just died there for a few minutes.

Usually this doesn't happen like this - stop in the middle of typing. What I have found happening randomly, is I will sleep my display (Studio Display). Mac Studio never sleeps - do it's just the display. When I come back to wake the display up - I have to press the keyboard a couple times. This is because the keyboard and mouse are no longer connected via BT. Pressing the keys will usually get them to reconnect. I can also notice when this happens because if you lose BT connection on the keyboard - TouchID gets disabled until you log back in with your password.

teak421

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Yes, Studio Ultra keeps disconnecting from trackpad, mouse, and keyboard since Sonoma. Then click them several times and they reconnect. Annoying!!!

Interesting thing is don't have this issue on 2019 16"MBP. Everything stays connected on it with Sonoma. It's the mac I do the beta's on.

I also have a Mac Studio M1... Bummer that the most expensive unit has these types of issues......

Reactions: GlenK

SepticUG

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Updated last week to sonoma from ventura on my m2 studio ultra.
I tried a external SSD at first, then a APFS partition on my bootdisk, after a couple of days I installed it on the startup partition.

I have a apple trackpad, keyboard and logitech mx master 3 (apple version)

I have not experienced these issues mentioned, I was hesitant to update because of this thread.
If I read well this issue does not manifest on M2 Studio, only on M1 studio and M2 notebooks.

For anyone reading with a M2 Studio and wondering if they should upgrade.

Hope this issue get fixed soon for you guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.