Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mabincredible2

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
I've having the same issue. Ever since the update, my Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad have been frequently disconnecting and reconnecting to my Mac Studio. This week's update did not resolve the issue. It occurs both while I'm actively using them and when they're idle. It's been quite a nuisance, and I'm hoping someone here might have a solution or some advice to offer.

I've already tried the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Forget and Reconnect: I've gone ahead and forgotten all the devices, then reconnected them. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to have any effect on the problem.
  2. System Updates: I made sure that my system is up to date by installing all the available MacOS updates, but the issue still persists.
I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution that worked for them. If you have any suggestions, workarounds, or if you've successfully resolved a similar issue, please do share your insights. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wjk

boblepp

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
I was just popping this out there to see if anyone else who have been having random bluetooth disconnection and reconnections with bluetooth devices connected to the Mac. Mainly keyboard, trackpad etc.

I have reported it to Apple and I was wondering if it was affecting others.

I have removed the bluetooth preference file. I tried to reset the bluetooth via the terminal and repaired everything, hopefully that will sort it, or failing that a reinstall.
Medium time Apple User, about 7 years. iMac 27" and Studio M1 Max 32GB. Sonoma 14.1

Yes, I have the same issues. I sit with my left wrist about 24 inches away from the bix. My watch has to be placed very close to the Studio to be recognized to log in. Then the mouse and keyboard will BPTH randomly drop connection with no warning or notice. Always both drop, never just one or the other.

If I move the mouse CLOSER to the box, it reconnects, as does the keyboard.

I was taking developer Beta updates but on the weekend the Studio got slow, and then went into a cycle of "Purple flash" and reboot and rebooted every 30 seconds. Called support, I managed to get in long enough to turn off Betas. It then rebooted a few times more and finally stabilized. I escaped a restore from backup by waiting a LONG TIME for the diagnostics connection from Apple. I had no idea they could connect without the OS up. Amazingly handy, but I wanted a LONG time by chance when she put me on hold.

If you ever need it, wait a LONG time for the diagnostics loader to appear.

This morning again the Bluetooth disconnects continue.

Has there been any word it's a hardware issue?

I will move the Studio within one foot behind the monitor to see if this helps.

All comments appreciated.

Bob

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
Medium time Apple User, about 7 years. iMac 27" and Studio M1 Max 32GB. Sonoma 14.1

Yes, I have the same issues. I sit with my left wrist about 24 inches away from the bix. My watch has to be placed very close to the Studio to be recognized to log in. Then the mouse and keyboard will BPTH randomly drop connection with no warning or notice. Always both drop, never just one or the other.

If I move the mouse CLOSER to the box, it reconnects, as does the keyboard.

I was taking developer Beta updates but on the weekend the Studio got slow, and then went into a cycle of "Purple flash" and reboot and rebooted every 30 seconds. Called support, I managed to get in long enough to turn off Betas. It then rebooted a few times more and finally stabilized. I escaped a restore from backup by waiting a LONG TIME for the diagnostics connection from Apple. I had no idea they could connect without the OS up. Amazingly handy, but I wanted a LONG time by chance when she put me on hold.

If you ever need it, wait a LONG time for the diagnostics loader to appear.

This morning again the Bluetooth disconnects continue.

Has there been any word it's a hardware issue?

I will move the Studio within one foot behind the monitor to see if this helps.

All comments appreciated.

Bob
no. It is definitely a bug. hence apple asking me to send an in depth system diag file. As far as I know they are still investigating.

Reactions: haginile and Wjk

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
no. It is definitely a bug. hence apple asking me to send an in depth system diag file. As far as I know they are still investigating.
I filed a bug report too but there's no follow-up. "Recent Similar Report" says "None"...

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I'm considering it...

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 49

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I have the same issue with M1 MacBook Pro on Sonoma 14.1. My magic mouse, keyboard, and magic trackpad randomly lose connections. It's not frequent enough to reliably reproduce the issue, but it is frequent enough to annoy me. I experience this maybe once or twice a day on average, and if I leave my office with my laptop on or in sleep mode and come back to my office hours later, most of the time every bluetooth peripheral is disconnected.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I made a pmset schedule to reboot my wife's iMac at 5AM every weekday morning. It has greatly helped the issue. Obviously a bandaid... but a fresh reboot every 24 hours really cuts this behavior down and she can use her Mac for work without peripherals failure.

I'm sure Apple will quietly fix it, but that could take weeks.

perelin

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Old thread, but did anyone find a solution? It breaks my nerves multiples times a day.
M2 Macbook Air, Sonoma 14.2.1

Xetoxyc

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Good question. Im currently on Beta Channel waiting for a fix. On some days i disconnect more then 10 times during work. Its so annoying...

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
I should've provided an update, but Apple engineering did reach out earlier this year, asked me to collect more logs, and then ended up asking me to send my MBP to them for study.

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
been happening on my m1 max since updating to 14.4.1. Before that it rarely happened and now its every day.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I'd like to see a detailed description of the problem if some kindly soul would oblige. I don't know if the problem I have is the one this thread addresses or not. I'm running on a Mac Studio M1 Max, currently on 14.4.1. I've had the Mac Studio for around 2 years now. I upgraded from a 2017 27" iMac. I was using a Logitech MX Vertical Ergonomic mouse on the iMac and it was working fine.
I attached that mouse to the Mac Studio and since then, or since one of the transitions to macOS 14.x (it's been a while):
When selecting some text by holding down the appropriate mouse button, dragging across the text I want, then releasing the button, it will generally only select a portion of the text as if a very rapid disconnect-reconnect occurred. I can select all the text I need by clicking the mouse once at the beginning and then again at the end. This sort of stuttering happens with any dragging action.
I tried a replacement of the same mouse but it had the same problem.
Logitech can't help. But there are a number of threads about this problem with people saying it's caused by interference between wireless routers and the wireless signal (from the Logitech USB wireless dongle) to the Logitech mouse. The suggested solution is to move the router away from the Studio. That doesn't work for me. I've tried connecting the mouse to the Mac Studio and to a Mac Studio display by cable, and have tried connecting the mouse via Bluetooth, with no success.
I've also tried an Apple Magic Mouse. The Apple mouse has only infrequent stuttering (only very occasionally compared with the Logitech mouse).
I've come to the conclusion that either macOS can't keep up when switching between tasks and thereby loseing information from the mice, or there's something wrong with the Mac Studio hardware. However, when reading this thread, I can't tell whether the disconnections described here reconnect extremely quickly as in my case, or whether the disconnections described here are different, in-as-much as it seems the reconnections are much slower than I experience and/or they they require some action to force the reconnection.

By the way, I've noticed that often, running tasks don't seem to be released from the processors to allow queued processes to have a turn (delayed task switching). I have 32 GB memory on my Mac Studio and generally less than half of that is used, with the remainder occupied by cache. There is generally no swapping in and out of memory and no memory compression. Otherwise the system can seem quite fast. I can't make sense of this.
It seems farfetched that any of my suspicions of the SW or HW are real. But clearly quite a number of people are seeing real problems that I would think Apple would be concerned about. It's been going on for far too long without Apple fixing it.
Any comments are welcome.

Last edited:

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
In my case bluetooth headphones and mouse work perfectly for 7-10hr and then the audio for the headset starts to break up and the mouse stops responding at all, the headsets stop working completely. The MAC thinks all devices are still connected. Turn bluetooth off and then back on and then it is fine again.

AZDutch

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
I just registered for the forum so I could reply to this thread :) This issue has plagued my M2 MacBook Air since I got it in August of 2023. It happens on an off, sometimes days go by where it doesn't happen, sometimes it happens multiple times a day. My connected bluetooth peripherals (Magic Keyboard with TouchID, Magic Trackpad and MX3 Mac mouse) all disconnect without any errors or notification. The peripherals just stop working for about 20 seconds before they all spontaneously reconnect (the "keyboard connected" notification will show). After 9 months of this I finally decided to call Apple support and was eventually told that this is an "emergent issue" for certain computers. The support person listed them, but I don't recall the full list. M2 MacBook Air, 14 inch MacBook Pro and Mac Studio are the ones I remember. The recorded the issue on my account and told me to call back if it happens again. It's more annoying than anything else, and since this is my work computer, I don't always have the time to spend 10-15 minutes on the phone with Apple every time this happens :) Whoever has this issue though, let's make sure this becomes a real issue for Apple, not just an "emergent" issue.

Reactions: ThrowerGB

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
I just registered for the forum so I could reply to this thread :) This issue has plagued my M2 MacBook Air since I got it in August of 2023. It happens on an off, sometimes days go by where it doesn't happen, sometimes it happens multiple times a day. My connected bluetooth peripherals (Magic Keyboard with TouchID, Magic Trackpad and MX3 Mac mouse) all disconnect without any errors or notification. The peripherals just stop working for about 20 seconds before they all spontaneously reconnect (the "keyboard connected" notification will show). After 9 months of this I finally decided to call Apple support and was eventually told that this is an "emergent issue" for certain computers. The support person listed them, but I don't recall the full list. M2 MacBook Air, 14 inch MacBook Pro and Mac Studio are the ones I remember. The recorded the issue on my account and told me to call back if it happens again. It's more annoying than anything else, and since this is my work computer, I don't always have the time to spend 10-15 minutes on the phone with Apple every time this happens :) Whoever has this issue though, let's make sure this becomes a real issue for Apple, not just an "emergent" issue.
Sorry you are experiencing these. It’s definitely a real issue for them. As I mentioned earlier, engineering was so serious about figuring out the problem they asked me to send my MacBook Pro to them for study. Hope they figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.