Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This thread is 8 pages long, I can safely say installing Windows on an external drive is more complicated then it ought to be.

For one thing, Windows by itself will not permit you to install on a USB drive, I'm not sure if you use a TB drive, it changes the equation.

I successfully installed windows 10 on external drive but I could not upgrade it to the anniversary edition, there's steps needed to basically install a windows to go installation of windows 10. Its possible to do, and I used these steps:

In the past on my MBP, I've divided the hard drive in half, (half Mac, half Windows) and at home rely on dual external hard drives for Mac data storage and backup, and while traveling bring two portable drives, one Windows and one Mac. This has worked well for me and it appears I'm easily dissuaded by your report, I'll probably do this again. :)

out.of.order

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Europe
I just installed Windows 10 on a Sandisk SSD USB3.1
on my new MacBook Pro late 2016 and I still don't see
advantages install Windows on external drive.
I have used creation with WinToUSB.

Speed is ok and everything work well but I still prefer my
Windows 10 on internal drive together with MacOS
both in native mode.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just installed Windows 10 on a Sandisk SSD USB3.1
on my new MacBook Pro late 2016 and I still don't see
advantages install Windows on external drive.
I have used creation with WinToUSB.

Speed is ok and everything work well but I still prefer my
Windows 10 on internal drive together with MacOS
both in native mode.

From a portable aspect, there is a convince of booting into Windows without having to plug it n an external drive. If anything the advantage would be freeing up more for internal drive space for The Mac OS because when it comes to SSDs, Apple is chincey on size for their price.

out.of.order

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Europe
In case when you have a small disk of course on an external disk is required.
And this I mean to those of 64GB or 128GB but one of 256GB is ok and one of 512GB
it's perfect for both systems.
I've seen a lot of people with those big disks installing systems on an external disk.
For this reason I say that it doesn't make sense do it on a large disk.

I with two system on 512GB internal disk I'm ok
Didn't even need external disk.
I only use one external for backup and large video files.

Of course everyone should do it as it need for the best personal usage ;)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Win to USB looks interesting, what is the difference in the free version and the one you can purchase,
I assume there are restriction ?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Here's how:

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a Thunderbolt drive)
Type create partition EFI size=100 (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type assign letter=S (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI - use this one for UEFI installation
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f ALL - use this one for BIOS-CSM installation

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Note: This method involves reformatting the entire external drive.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
MacBook Air (mid-2013 and later)
iMac (late-2013 and later)
Retina MacBook Pro (late-2013 and later)
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)
Mac Mini (late-2014 and later)

Non-retina MBPs are not UEFI compatible.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

Is the quoted method by yjchua95 above still the best way to windows on an external drive?

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Is the quoted method by yjchua95 above still the best way to windows on an external drive?

I did it a few months ago on 10.11 for a 2015 retina iMac and it worked perfectly, and the drive still works perfectly in 10.12.2. I don't think any of the changes in Sierra should affect yjchua95's instructions.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

snowboardpunk

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2013

I'm about to try this but was wondering what is bios-csm and UEFI? I have a 2016 15 rMBP and bought a Samsung evo 850 with a USB c enclosure. I have bootcamp installed on my Mac and plan on copying that.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I need some help...

I have a Mac Pro (2013), and I have an installation of Windows 10 Pro running in a Boot Camp partition on the internal PCI SSD. That works fine.

I then used Winclone to clone the Windows installation onto an external ThunderBolt SSD. I followed the directions from Twocanoes, regarding format etc., but it does not work. However, when I connect the ThunderBolt SSD to my MacBook Pro (which does NOT have a Boot Camp portion on it), it works just fine. The Windows installation shows up in the boot menu. When I connect that same ThunderBolt to my Mac Pro, it does not.

I have tried with a Boot Camp portion created on the Mac Pro, as well as without. I have disconnected all other ThunderBolt units on the Mac Pro, but alas...

I simply cannot understand why the external ThunderBolt SSD containing Windows 10 will show up on the MacBook Pro, but not the Mac Pro. What can be the difference?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
In doing this on my iMacs, I found that Windows boot could not handle 2 installations at the same time, and I had to delete the internal installation in order to run the external Thunderbolt SSD installation. I always made a couple of WinClone backups before deleting so I could be confident that I would be able to recreate the internal one if necessary. I think you also need to disable SIP when you run WinClone write, but that was probably in the guide you followed.

However ... when I started the External Windows Installation, it would appear to boot ... but I found that I was actually running the internal installation. Of course, deleting the internal copy eliminated this problem.

I did a similar thing with my cMacPro where Windows SSD is "external" on a PCIe card in one of the slots.

Hope this helps ...

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for suggesting this, but I have already tried that. I blew away the internal Boot Camp partition, and the external ThunderBolt SSD installation will still not show up when I boot on the Mac Pro, but it does when I use it on the MacBook Pro???

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I also found that I had to boot/run the internal installation with the external enclosure attached so that Windows would load the driver for that enclosure and include that in the image I WinCloned to the external SSD.

I can't explain why yours works on the laptop as that would indicate any driver required was present.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Has anyone figured out yet how to update the Windows on a USB3-SSD to a newer version, e.g. 1511->1607, without wiping the drive and re-installing the whole thing - that is, by keeping your apps etc. intact as if it was a PC?

Would perhaps temporarily plugging the SSD with Windows on it via SATA to a PC just to update it work? Or would that break anything once you brought it back to use on a Mac via USB3?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I have just successfully moved my Bootcamp onto Samsung T3 external using Winclone and the regedit method. It was much easier and quicker than I expected.

Posted a separate thread here before seeing this thread.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
In case when you have a small disk of course on an external disk is required.
And this I mean to those of 64GB or 128GB but one of 256GB is ok and one of 512GB
it's perfect for both systems.
I've seen a lot of people with those big disks installing systems on an external disk.
For this reason I say that it doesn't make sense do it on a large disk.

I with two system on 512GB internal disk I'm ok
Didn't even need external disk.
I only use one external for backup and large video files.

Of course everyone should do it as it need for the best personal usage ;)

One reason for putting Bootcamp on an external is that it enables partitioning of the internal.
I think it is still the situation that the MBR will not boot with more than four partitions. In a standard installation there will be:

EFI
Recovery Partition
Macintosh HD
Bootcamp

......which does not allow the Macintosh HD to be partitioned.

I know I fell foul of this a few years ago, but not certain if it is still true...anyone confirm?

Since I moved my Bootcamp to an external I have partitioned my internal and Bootcamp still boots (I was slightly concerned there might still be a problem).

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
hello,

I've changed my mind since my obsolete MBPro 15" mid 2012 cannot launch Winows in UEFI and staying with the old crapy MBR is unreliable because very fragile and prone to be damaged...
So at last Xmas i bought from GEARBEST Hong-Kong a fantastic PC laptop the XIAOMI Notebook Air 13.3" built on a Skylake intel mother board with a secund SSD slot at $680 only.
This fantastic Windows laptop is a real MBAir killer because it's a bang for your bucks.
I enjoyed playing Formula1 Grand prix 2016 with a vintage USB Logitech Momo Racing Force feedback wheel bought in 2002!
My old MBPro 15" is now my spare secund machine in case something bad occured on my XIAOMI laptop!
I decided to buy eyes shut this terrific laptop since previously when my iPhone5 had it'screen poping out like a Microsoft Surface, i was rejected from Apple Service...
So, i put 4 drops of SuperGlue at each corner of the screen and put the iPhone5 between 2 pieces of wood firmly screwed and that's it for a DIY fix.
But instead of throwing huge money for another iPhone6 or 7, i purchased a XIAOMI Redmi3 Pro from GearBest at $120...
YES this Android phone is perfect and a bargain!
APPLE is heading direct in the wall because you must be CRAZY to shell out $700 for a phone and more than $2000 for the latest MBPro 2016...
I can testify that Windows10 is now a great system software: it boots up blazingly fast and everything 's OK

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Has anyone figured out yet how to update the Windows on a USB3-SSD to a newer version, e.g. 1511->1607, without wiping the drive and re-installing the whole thing - that is, by keeping your apps etc. intact as if it was a PC?

In case anyone is interested, I found a way.

Get a Windows PC and follow these steps:

1 install the hyper-v feature on your pc
2 connect your win2go drive
3 open diskmgmt.msc, set the win2go drive to offline
4 open hyper-v and create a new generation 2 machine without a hard drive and without installing anything, yet
5 add a physical hard drive to that machine: your win2go drive. Add a 2nd CPU and add a dvd drive as well, your anniversary update ISO
6 start that machine, it will boot your win2go windows.
7 when logged on, open regedit and set the Dword32-value PortableOperatingSystem in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control to 0
8 perform the inplace anniversary upgrade
9 afterwards, reset the value PortableOperatingSystem to 1 again.
10 shutdown the machine and remove the win2go stick

That's it. Your Windows 10 To Go will be updated and all your files and settings will be preserved :).

snowboardpunk

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2013
Currently using the 850 evo ssd will going to a 950/960 m.2 drive improve speeds? Starting programs and accessing folders is a bit slow. Also would cloning the drive work instead of having to go through all of this again?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Currently using the 850 evo ssd will going to a 950/960 m.2 drive improve speeds? Starting programs and accessing folders is a bit slow. Also would cloning the drive work instead of having to go through all of this again?
No. You won't notice the difference between a SSD and the 950. What you're talking about relies more on the 4kb random access speeds which even with a fast SSD or m.2 is always very low - around 20MB/s if I remember right. (For a fast spinny it can be around 0.1 MB/s)

And opening folders should be instant with a SSD. The issue lies elsewhere.

EmmaL20

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
Ok so I followed the guide by @yjchua95

Ended up getting an hour long boot, forced restart, then got the "STOP-CODE USB3DRIVER" Blue screen. Anyone have any ideas? Please I've tried Win2USB and yjchua95's method. I am pretty desperate at this point.

Using:

• Macbook Pro 13" 2017
  • External Hard Drive (USB 3.0)
I am going to try and reinstall it one more time in the meantime.. Hope someone can help me

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Ok so I followed the guide by @yjchua95

Ended up getting an hour long boot, forced restart, then got the "STOP-CODE USB3DRIVER" Blue screen. Anyone have any ideas? Please I've tried Win2USB and yjchua95's method. I am pretty desperate at this point.

Using:

• Macbook Pro 13" 2017
  • External Hard Drive (USB 3.0)
I am going to try and reinstall it one more time in the meantime.. Hope someone can help me

I cannot assist with your problem but you are aware the person who posted that guide has not been on the forums for 2 years and when I click on his name link in your post it says user not available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.