Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
I can run Win10 on VMWare Fusion 7 but when i try to run WintoUSB it only let me write to a USB flash of 40 MB and not the whole size of the stick of 32 Gigas!? I don't want to pay for the commercial version at 35€...
I may also want to back pedal to WIN7 Pro since i no more want Microsoft spy my system and brutally FORCE the windows update process.
Maybe also i had to go MBR instead of GPT on the Thunderbolt drive to get a more stable behavior...

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
Here's how:

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Note: This method involves reformatting the entire external drive.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
MacBook Air (mid-2013 and later)
iMac (late-2013 and later)
Retina MacBook Pro (late-2013 and later)
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)
Mac Mini (late-2014 and later)

Non-retina MBPs are not UEFI compatible.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

Hello ychua95,

You are a very well knowledgeable guy! wahouh!
I now thanx to this post, can understand why i have some issues with my Windows 10 installed on a HighPoint Rocketstor 5212 dock on my mid 2012 MBPro15".
This "old laptop" is an IVY BRIDGE so it could only run Windows in MBR!
You said:Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

I Confirm: Windows 10 Boots on EFI/GPT but there is 2 driver issues:
NO SOUND and the HD 4000 Video doesn't work but only the NVIDIA...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS CRUCIAL WARNING!

Let me know should i redo the whole process from scratch or is it possible to simply convert my GPT disk to MBR without losing any data?

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
Hi folks,
I'm glad since i could redo the Windows10 MBR installation with the simplest way to have success!
I only used the Bootcamp assistant tool within El Capitan to make a USB stick installer with the Win 10 Threshold2 ISO.
Then i opened my MBPro mid 2012 "Ivy Bridge" in order to disconnect both the SSD in the optical bay and the HDD.
After reboot from the USB stick the installation on the SSD docked in the HighPoint Rocketstor 5212 went flawlessly.
After a successful first boot of Windows i installed the Bootcamp drivers!
Now everything's fine and Windows boots VERY VERY FAST in less than 15"!
Thanx again to ychua95 for the warning about EFI/Boot on this Ivy Bridge, that was a very bad trip!

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
Does anyone have a solution to do it only from a mac without windows ? i can't use bootcamp, but i have linux.
I want to install windows 10 on an external ssd. It would be helpfull for a lot of us.

It's easy to do it without any Linux or Windows USB stick!
Use Bootcamp assistant inside EL Capitan + an ISO of Windows 10!
Bootcamp Assistant will create an USB stick installer.
Have your external SSD already formatted Fat32
Then open your Mac and disconnect your internal drive. then Boot with the USB stick and Windows will install without any hiccup! I've had success on a mid 2012 MBPro 15" (Ivy Bridge) on a Thunderbolt dock + SSD Transcend 128...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Don't use WinToUSB.

Use this method (a bit windy but definitely works):

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)
<snip>
I used this method yesterday after trying and failing to use WinToUSB, for some reason it just didn't like the partition on my SSD to install the OS on. Anyways long story short, I have windows running on an external drive. Its working well, and as to be expected faster then my bootcamp partition. I have a Fusion drive, so Windows is running on the spinning hard drive, as opposed to this version chugging on a SSD.

No matter how many times I may install windows, each time I do, the results are different, just little things I find out from one install to another, and then forget. So my bootcamp partition has some nice refinements that I forgot how I did it. I'll eventually google them and try to repeat.

Odd thing, is I didn't have to activate this version, Perhaps when it phoned home, it saw that it was the same iMac (though different drive). I dunno, but kudos to yjchua95 to providing the steps.

I'm not sure which version, I'll keep, I've been using that external drive for different operating systems, and when Redstone hits later this summer, will upgrading that be smoother on this, or the bootcamp partition (or will it matter)?

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Has anyone been able to apply the 1607 (anniversary edition) upgrade to their Windows 10 on external SSDs?

I keep getting the Windows 10 couldn't be installed / You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Set-up. And it's not even a USB flash drive, but a Samsungs 840 Pro SSD... :S

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Has anyone been able to apply the 1607
Try using these steps. Because Windows is on a USB device, you cannot just upgrade it normally

Don't use WinToUSB.

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a drive with a Thunderbolt port)
Type create partition EFI size=100 (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type assign letter=S (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI (use this one for UEFI installation)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot (or whatever else that comes up for a BIOS-CSM installation).

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Don’t use a USB stick.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I used this method yesterday after trying and failing to use WinToUSB,

I'm about to do this to install W10 on an external drive because I need boot camp performance, but my internal drive is full.

Once you install W10, do you boot back to OS X to get the boot camp drivers and then boot back into Windows to install them?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm about to do this to install W10 on an external drive because I need boot camp performance, but my internal drive is full.

Once you install W10, do you boot back to OS X to get the boot camp drivers and then boot back into Windows to install them?

You can but you can also just download them to a USB drive in advance.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Try using these steps. Because Windows is on a USB device, you cannot just upgrade it normally

Well, that's the method that I have used to install the Windows (1511 version) in the first place.

Are you saying that this particular update is not possible through the system update and that one needs a complete format and clean install?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Well, that's the method that I have used to install the Windows (1511 version) in the first place.

Are you saying that this particular update is not possible through the system update and that one needs a complete format and clean install?

Are you getting the AE from the normal Windows Update or did you download the standalone installer?

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks yjchua95, you're awesome. I followed your instructions and it worked great. I could not find similar instructions for UEFI installations anywhere on the Internet, and I probably searched for 3 hours before finally winding up at a new thread in the MacRumors forum for the tenth time.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The normal Windows update.

I just tried Windows Update and AE still hasn't rolled out for my installation. It just kept saying I was up to date.
I clicked the link about looking for latest versions and it took me to the standalone AE installer.
That one installed without any errors.
My Windows is on a USB-3 SSD originally created with yjchua95's method.
My mac is the 2013 rMBP.

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
My Win10 (mbr) on my mid 2012 MBPro 15" boots flawlessly on the Thunderbolt SSD but to have success i had previously to disconnect both my internal (SSD +HD) drives. OK when i installed Windows i had my internal disks disconnected to prevent Windows making crap on one of these disks.
The Thunderbolt SSD is seen like an inner dik 0 but things may be different when the Thunderbolt drive is connected to the Mac with the inner diks already connected. i guess i had to modify the BCD boot file but i don't know where it is?
Thank you for a tip
Bernard

GTi3993

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Install Windows on External Hard Disk and Boot From Mac .
Without Boot Camp

Start From Scratch & Please Follow Step By Step
For the best use of these steps , i suggest you google each one before you start !! aka gather some info
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware Requirements :-
  1. ANY Windows Operating system Computer installed and working .
  2. Obviously a Mac computer with OS X10.10 and above
  3. External Hard-Disk 32 Gb or More .(where you will install Windows)
  4. 4GB USB Key .

Software Requirements :-
  • Files To Download On Windows
  1. MediaCreationTool.exe (LINK) .
  2. Windows.iso x64bit downloaded by the tool above and saved to your PC.
  3. WinToUSB Enterprise v3.2 Multilingual Portable (just google that)
  • Files To Download On Mac
  1. gdisk-1.0.1.pkg (LINK)
YOU CAN DO THE STEPS FROM 1 TO 4 ON WINDOWS AND ON MAC @the SAME TIME

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On WINDOWS :

1. Open MediaCreationTool
  2. Choose CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA FOR ANOTHER PC
  3. Choose language and edition but it must be 64-bit
  4. Save to ISO file ON YOUR PC ( Over 3 GB to download so you can follow with the next steps you still have sometime ! ) .
  5. Plug in your External Hard-Disk (where you wish to install Windows.)
  6. ON keyboard press and hold Window sign and the letter R (will open Run)
  7. Type DISKPART (now it will open a cmd) next steps in cmd
  8. Type list disk
  9. Type select disk # (replace # with your external hard disk number that you got from the step above)
  10. Type clean (when done you can close)
  11. Right Click on your computer icon and select Manage.
  12. On the left panel click on DISK MANAGEMENT "will take sometime to show also if it tells you to initialize choose gpt "
  13. Find your external hard disk
  14. On the DISK number right click and convert to gpt
  15. now on the free space create a first partition with 500 MB and format to FAT32 name it EFI
  16. Format the the rest of the free space to NTFS and name it OS
  17. when done close everything you opened (clear view to desktop) .
  18. Open WinToUSB Enterprise with administrator privileges.
  19. Choose the WINDOWS.ISO (if MediaCreationTool done with downloading the iso)
  20. Choose the External hard disk you just formatted .(must see and choose EFI if you did not see it that means you didnt format the hard disk or maybe still no converted to gpt google around)
  21. Choose your desired Operating System.
  22. Install and wait until its Done.

On MAC :

1. Open boot Camp app from your mac
  2. Choose only to download latest media "basically uncheck all but check the second option ".
  3. Save it to the USB KEY (Mentioned in Hardware Requirements above) .
  4. This will download windows boot camp divers for your windows computer.
  5. Unplug USB KEY when done.
  6. Open the file gdisk-1.0.1.pkg and install (Mentioned in Software Requirements above) .
  7. Plug in your external HARD DISK .
  8. Open terminal and run these commands and dont try to be geeky just follow these commands.
  9. Type sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
  10. Type p to view the existing partition table and verify you’re working on the correct disk.
  11. Type x to enter the expert menu.
  12. Type n to create a fresh protective MBR
  13. Type w to save your changes and confirm the changes.
  14. Type q to exit GPT fdisk.
  15. So basically p enter x Enter n Enter w Enter q Enter .
  16. Now restart and hold the option key and choose the External Harddisk
  17. it Might boot several times make sure you always hold the option key .
  18. When setting up Windows 10 is done plug in your USB key and install bootcamp drivers.
  19. Done :)

Last edited:

lq_sunshine

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
Many Thanks for all the helpfull instructions.

I have another question:

is it possible to use the external windows Hard Drive as an internal drive?

e.g. open the case of the external drive, take out the hard disk and put it into the imac as main drive?
Has someone tried it?
It would be interesting when the internal drive is damaged.

thank you

LQ

ross1999

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
hello,

I am wondering whether it is possible to install and boot windows 10 preview from an external hard drive?
The external hard drive is running Yosemite.

You can boot OSX from an external so I though maybe bootcamp might work too. However from my attempts it seems an internal drive may be necessary?

When I boot into Yosemite external and use bootcamp assistant it says there is not enough free space on the startup disk. Yosemite external has plenty free space but the internal drive does not so I can not progress.

Thanks
I've never had a problem booting from external drives, USB and Firewire, using either Windows 8.1 or 10 Technical Preview.

I also have not had any problem installing from ISO file to any USB drive (external SSD) using transportable wintousb with it's wintogo limitations (can't see internal drives, etc.). I currently have both Win 10 and Win 8.1 running from bootable SSD's in cheap USB3 enclosures (with UASP protocol they are FAST) with no problems booting with either the Option key boot or selecting as Startup drive from System Preference on my MBA and Mini.
thanks, i was looking all day for a way to do that. is there a workable how to do install win10 on ext.hdd to run on mbp retina 12/2012? I looked for and tried 5 but it did not work. i dwnld already win10 pro iso, bootcamp drive.
Many thanks,
Rami

How to Run a Portable Version of Windows from a USB Drive a

ross1999

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
Without Boot Camp

For the best use of these steps , i suggest you google each one before you start !! aka gather some info

4. 4GB USB Key .

On WINDOWS :

4. Save to ISO file ON YOUR PC ( Over 3 GB to download so you can follow with the next steps you still have sometime ! ) .
  8. Type list disk
  9. Type select disk # (replace # with your external hard disk number that you got from the step above)
  12. On the left panel click on DISK MANAGEMENT "will take sometime to show also if it tells you to initialize choose gpt "
  15. now on the free space create a first partition with 500 MB and format to FAT32 name it EFI
  20. Choose the External hard disk you just formatted .(must see and choose EFI if you did not see it that means you didnt format the hard disk or maybe still no converted to gpt google around)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STAGE 15, will not let me create a partition, tried it on windows 7 pc and usb1t

On MAC :

2. Choose only to download latest media "basically uncheck all but check the second option ".
  6. Open the file gdisk-1.0.1.pkg and install (Mentioned in Software Requirements above) .
  8. Open terminal and run these commands and dont try to be geeky just follow these commands.
  10. Type p to view the existing partition table and verify you’re working on the correct disk.
  18. When setting up Windows 10 is done plug in your USB key and install bootcamp drivers.
ITS WILL NOT LET ME CREAT PARTTIONSIONS.

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
Problems not knowing the hardware available to you, will include whether the drive will be MBR or GPT (GUID) partitioned and whether your motherboard supports UEFI.
Let me know you get success with an UEFI windows installation on your Mac mini and MBA?
I was told that the MBPro 15" mid 2012 with Ivy Bridge cannot let you instal WIN10 UEFI but MBR only...?
Of course i had success with an UEFI installation but Windows never performs normally and many drivers errors occured.
Since i have done it with MBR it's rockstable! The only drawback is i only can run Windows after disconnecting my internal MacOS disks because i made the windows installation this way so my external SSD docked in a Thunderbolt bay is blessed as disk0.
Should i reconnect my internal drives at startup while pressing option key, i can see the windows external SSD disk with the same icon than an internal HD, (it was different in EFIboot previously) but Windows doesn't boot with the blinking --!
Paragon techee said that the Mac boots in EFI mode and that's the reason why it messes to boot Windows because the Windows MBR boot loader is different? Holy crap!

bergui45

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Chambors,Oise,France
Wahouh GTi3993 wrote a fantastic step by step "stairway to heaven"!
;-)
I will try it since this solution is a mix of EFI & MBR.
Is there an easy way to convert my MBR formatted SSD to GPT without loosing data instead of making the whole thing from scratch?
Should i have my working MBR windows saved may i restore it in the new MBR partition?

out.of.order

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Europe
What advantage does it have to put Windows on an external disk???
To use it you always have to remind yourself to take it with you.

I just installed Windows 10 Pro natively on the same disk together with MacOS
in mode GPT and works much better than with Bootcamp.
My computer is last MacBook Pro TB 13" 2016.

I have split disc in 3 parts.

One for MacOS
Another for data 300GB NTFS
And at the end of the disc one partition for Windows.

xh8kKf3.png

And external disk I use to have save more files
if I forgot at home this disc, nothing happens
because the system I have on internal disk.

For this reason if someone can tell me please what advantages has
Windows installed on external disk?

Thanks

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Without Boot Camp

4. 4GB USB Key .

On WINDOWS :

8. Type list disk

On MAC :

I'm within a week of taking receipt of a 2016 MacBookPro 13" (release Oct 2016) and on my last 3 or 4 Macs I've done the Bootcamp route to get Windows running on my Mac. I'm seriously thinking about trying to install Windows 10 on an external 2TB drive without partitioning my Mac's HD and am wondering how easy this is? I admit I've not looked back over all the pages of this thread. :oops:

I'd like to ask, if I were to install 64bit Windows on this external USB drive, using my PC, would my Mac be able to see it without doing anything special to my Mac?

I know there is an issue with using FAT32 vs NTFS. Can you describe what the 500MB FAT32 partition does. I assume the Mac an interact with it, but according to the instructions above, what about the other partition using NTFS?

I do realize I'd have to go through the step of installing bootcamp drivers, which I've done before by simply running the driver program I downloaded via Bootcamp.

What does gdisk do to your Mac?

I mentioned @antonis because we recently discussed this in the 2016 MacBook Pro for Gaming Thread. :)
Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm seriously thinking about trying to install Windows 10 on an external 2TB
This thread is 8 pages long, I can safely say installing Windows on an external drive is more complicated then it ought to be.

For one thing, Windows by itself will not permit you to install on a USB drive, I'm not sure if you use a TB drive, it changes the equation.

I successfully installed windows 10 on external drive but I could not upgrade it to the anniversary edition, there's steps needed to basically install a windows to go installation of windows 10. Its possible to do, and I used these steps:
Don't use WinToUSB.

What you need:

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a drive with a Thunderbolt port)
Type create partition EFI size=100 (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type assign letter=S (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI (use this one for UEFI installation)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot (or whatever else that comes up for a BIOS-CSM installation).

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

Don’t use a USB stick.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.