Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi I just saw this thread I have posted an issue in another thread, but it seems here it is better placed so again:

Hi I used BootCAmp to install Windows 10 on my internal HDD (with GUID). After that I made a Winclone iso of it and tried to install it on an external Thunderbolt Freecom HDD, which I partitioned with GUID and two Partitions one with mac journaled and one the one for Windows with FAT32. After that I Used Winclone to install Windows from the iso (the internal one I made before out of the running Windows system) onto the external drive.

First time after rebooting nothing worked, then I change the iso from legacy Boot to EFI boot and it tried to start Windows from the external Drive after rebooting but I saw this rotating circle of Windows starting but then it crashed and rebooted.

Does anybody has an idea what happened here? I also tried to start with legacy mode but then Windows is not starting at all.

THX
Andreas
Not sure. Did you run SysPrep on the BootCamp partition prior to making the image? They say to do that, though I'm not sure if that's the problem in your case. (FYI SysPrep won't run if you've done an upgrade (Vista -> 7, 10 -> 10 Fall Update, etc.)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hi I just saw this thread I have posted an issue in another thread, but it seems here it is better placed so again:

Hi I used BootCAmp to install Windows 10 on my internal HDD (with GUID). After that I made a Winclone iso of it and tried to install it on an external Thunderbolt Freecom HDD, which I partitioned with GUID and two Partitions one with mac journaled and one the one for Windows with FAT32. After that I Used Winclone to install Windows from the iso (the internal one I made before out of the running Windows system) onto the external drive.

First time after rebooting nothing worked, then I change the iso from legacy Boot to EFI boot and it tried to start Windows from the external Drive after rebooting but I saw this rotating circle of Windows starting but then it crashed and rebooted.

Does anybody has an idea what happened here? I also tried to start with legacy mode but then Windows is not starting at all.

THX
Andreas
I have used this method to successfully create external SSD Windows installations on my iMacs. One key step for me has been to boot to the internal BootCamp installation with the external Thunderbolt enclosure attached to allow Windows to install any driver it needs ... then I WinClone the internal installation to the external enclosure/drive and it boots fine.

Good luck with your installation ...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

That link offers a 64GB Sandisk Ultrafit with Windows 10 installed and bootable on all UEFI Macs. It's nice and small - here's a pic of a 16GB version.
15054017774_72642f0b5e_o.jpg

I have that same USB flash drive model, except in the 128GB version. (Costs about £25, and getting cheaper all the time.) I brought it with the idea of making a 128GB Windows boot drive. I move my laptop a lot and I didn't want an external SSD dangling from a USB lead.

So far, I have been unable to work out how to get Windows 10 booting from the external flash drive on my 2013 UEFI Air.

I've followed Yjchua95's excellent directions, but the stumbling block seems to be almost all modern Flash drives have been set to show themselves as removable media. Windows 10 won't run off removable media. It will only see the first partition, not the two partitions required (EFI and NTFS).

You've to use an external hard drive, not a USB stick.

However:
Got it working with a flash drive. I installed the 64bit version of cfadisk.zip which is a usb driver to make flash drives appear as external hdd. From there it booted just fine.

As far as I understand, cfadisk shouldn't have worked. It acts as a filter to make Windows see the flash drive as a hard drive, and thus able to see the two partitions. From this, Daweez02 was able to run dsim to transfer the install files to the two partitions. However on first boot FROM the flash drive, Windows (running off the flash installer, no cfadisk installed) would only see the EFI partition and fail to fully boot.

When I tried this, Windows 10 failed on first boot with the message 'setting up files' then 'Windows is unable to install on this hardware'

Daweeze02, can you tell us more about how you got your setup to work? Which version of cfadisk did you use?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Doing a bit more research now. Apparently booting a UEFI Mac from a Flash drive is a real pain in the arse. I've been trying various tools and none of them have worked so far.

EDIT

I have now found some info about two tools called easy2boot and RMPrepUSB that seem able to work together to create UEFI-bootable flash drives for any flash drive. However I don't understand the instructions. They're way over my head. Can anyone help?

All I want to do is run Win10 off my flash drive on my MBA :(

http://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/using-easy2boot-with-uefi-only-systems.html
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/

There's another page with instructions I don't understand:
http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/122

versacedu

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
I've never had a problem booting from external drives, USB and Firewire, using either Windows 8.1 or 10 Technical Preview.

I also have not had any problem installing from ISO file to any USB drive (external SSD) using transportable wintousb with it's wintogo limitations (can't see internal drives, etc.). I currently have both Win 10 and Win 8.1 running from bootable SSD's in cheap USB3 enclosures (with UASP protocol they are FAST) with no problems booting with either the Option key boot or selecting as Startup drive from System Preference on my MBA and Mini.

Hello,
I am trying to installs Windows 10 on my external SSD, but I've never had any success. So, can you please send me steps by steps instructions if possible? I can do this on either with my desktop pc or my macbook pro. thanks so much in advance.

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Hey, so I'm looking to install Windows 10 through bootcamp to a bootable clone on my Thunderbolt 2 external hard drive, which I use with my 2015 rMBP. I have the full retail USB version of Win 10, not the ISO. I've seen a couple threads here and there, but given I'm using El Capitan (which made some changes) and Windows 10, I'm not exactly sure what the best way of going about this is. Any ideas?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Windows 10 has been refusing to update and keeps getting error to Win 10 updates (security and other stuff updates fine), it seems to detect that I'm running on an external USB drive. Has anyone got this problem also?

I used yjchua95's method and I have no problem updating. I updated just last night. Took forever but it went without problem. You just need to remember to option-boot and select the EFI drive every time Windows reboots.

jaimeap

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Does anyone knows if it is possible to install both windows and osx in an external drive but usb 3.0 not thunderbolt? I have an issue while I don´t know how to install windows in a gpt partition system in my external drive.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Does anyone knows if it is possible to install both windows and osx in an external drive but usb 3.0 not thunderbolt? I have an issue while I don´t know how to install windows in a gpt partition system in my external drive.

It is perfectly fine to install Windows or OSX on a USB 3 drive, it just won't be as fast.

I'm pretty sure you can't have Windows and OSX installed on the same external drive as they both use different partition systems. However both Windows and OSX can be installed on a USB drive instead of thunderbolt. I even have OSX installed on a USB 2 drive (for testing purposes) but this is not recommended as it would be very slow compared to USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It's possible. I'm dual booting Windows and OS X from a USB 3.0 UASP device (with SSD installed.) It's quite complicated and requires usage of terminal.

I followed this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...m-external-drive.1815672/page-4#post-20782242

But I had to alter the steps a lot, in order to get it to work. Unfortunately it was a while ago and I don't remember exactly what I did. But it involved using the VM method to install the Windows partition (but only to half the space) and then using terminal to create the mac partition and anything else it needed.

Make sure you have a backup if you do this as I accidentally wiped the drive twice in the process.

jaimeap

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Finally I get that, first I had made a bootcamp installation in OSx; second, I had use sysprep.exe on windows (BOOTCAMP installation) so it could be set up and booted in any computer; third, I have cloned bootcamp partition in to my UASP usb 3.0 drive using winclone. The last step was use carbon copy cloner to copy OSx partition.

It automatically ask if the backup will be use for booting the system, just click yes, and it sets it up.

It was so easy and there is not partition system knowledge required. Now I have OSX and Windows booted from my external SSD through usb, and I use the internal HDD with a single exFat partition for files storage. It even has the advantage that it is possible to access to OSx partition from Windows.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
I have been using Bootcamp on Windows 10 on a USB 3 external hard drive by doing the following.
I have a http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P736UEU and a http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011M8YACM

I had Bootcamp on my Mac already so I mounted the windows install .iso and did the following:
http://www.partition-tool.com/resou...nstall-windows-10-on-external-hard-drive.html

Except I did this as the last step (to make it bootable): BCDBOOT G:\WINDOWS /S G:
Where G is the external drive you are installing Windows onto.

Works perfectly here!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have been trying for a while to install Windows 10 onto a USB3 flash drive, and it keeps failing. I'm not keen on having a SSD drive dangling off my Macbook Air so one of the new USB 3 mini flash drives seems a good choice. No luck so far :(

I've tried it with a SanDisk Ultra Flash 128GB, which only protrudes about 4mm when plugged in. I've also tried the PNY StorEDGE 128GB SD card, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Has anyone succeeded in installing Windows 10 on a flash drive?

Chb33

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2016
I have been trying for a while to install Windows 10 onto a USB3 flash drive, and it keeps failing. I'm not keen on having a SSD drive dangling off my Macbook Air so one of the new USB 3 mini flash drives seems a good choice. No luck so far :(

I've tried it with a SanDisk Ultra Flash 128GB, which only protrudes about 4mm when plugged in. I've also tried the PNY StorEDGE 128GB SD card, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Has anyone succeeded in installing Windows 10 on a flash drive?

Apperantelly , it's possible :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-1...398312?hash=item4af4f6da28:g:8nkAAOSwPc9W0iQd

Spaniard

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Madrid, Spain
Inspired by yjchua95 method and researching a little bit in Msoft, I've used a little bit more complete method to partition and implement W10 on my 13" rMBP mid14 using two simple scripts. Worked flawessly with a USB Inateck FEU3NS-1E & EVO 850 combo

This one to create partitions:

Type in an elevated cmd

diskpart
list disk

Take note of the disk you want to select (#7 in my case) then

exit

Copy the text below in green and save it a pendrive as CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt Launch it by typing in an elevated cmd

diskpart /s L:\CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt where L is my pendrive letter where the script was saved as CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt

rem == CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt ==
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem create four partitions
rem for a UEFI/GPT-based PC.
rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
rem as necessary. ==
select disk 7
clean
convert gpt
rem == 1. System partition =========================
create partition efi size=260
rem ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,
rem change this value to size = 260 **
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
rem == 2. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition =======
create partition msr size=16
rem == 3. Windows partition ========================
rem == a. Create the Windows partition ==========
create partition primary
rem == b. Create space for the recovery tools ===
shrink minimum=1000
rem ** NOTE: Update this size to match the
rem size of the recovery tools
rem (winre.wim) **
rem == c. Prepare the Windows partition =========
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
rem === 4. Recovery tools partition ================
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery tools"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder.
Copy the text below as ApplyImage.bat and launch it as admin

rem == ApplyImage.bat ==

rem == These commands deploy a specified Windows
rem image file to the Windows partition, and configure
rem the system partition.

rem Usage: ApplyImage WimFileName
rem Example: ApplyImage E:\Images\ThinImage.wim ==

rem == Set high-performance power scheme to speed deployment ==
call powercfg /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

rem == Apply the image to the Windows partition ==
Dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\

rem == Copy boot files to the System partition ==
W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

:rem == Copy the Windows RE image to the
:rem Windows RE Tools partition ==
md R:\Recovery\WindowsRE
xcopy /h W:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim R:\Recovery\WindowsRE\

:rem == Register the location of the recovery tools ==
W:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /Setreimage /Path R:\Recovery\WindowsRE /Target W:\Windows

:rem == Verify the configuration status of the images. ==
W:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /Info /Target W:\Windows

phantomEVO

Suspended
Nov 5, 2013
Don't use WinToUSB.

Use this method (a bit windy but definitely works):

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt (stop at this point if you're using a drive with a Thunderbolt port)
Type create partition EFI size=100 (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type assign letter=S (skip if installing in BIOS-CSM)
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI (use this one for UEFI installation)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL (use this one for BIOS-CSM installation)

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot (or whatever else that comes up for a BIOS-CSM installation).

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Don’t use a USB stick.

Note: This method involves reformatting the entire external drive.

For Thunderbolt drives, just boot from the Windows USB installer and install directly onto the TB drive. Windows sees TB drives as an internal PCIe connection. However, you must format the TB drive as GPT first.

CAUTION: Windows can only be installed in UEFI flawlessly on Haswell Macs and later. Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs can only run Windows in BIOS-CSM flawlessly. Attempts to boot a UEFI installation of Windows on an Ivy Bridge or earlier Mac will result in driver issues.

UEFI-compatible Macs:
MacBook Air (mid-2013 and later)
iMac (late-2013 and later)
Retina MacBook Pro (late-2013 and later)
Mac Pro (trashcan shape)
Mac Mini (late-2014 and later)

Non-retina MBPs are not UEFI compatible.

WinToUSB basically does the same thing, but doesn’t always work because WinToUSB doesn’t really take into account between BIOS-CSM and UEFI Macs; it only uses one method for all (which may result in boot failures and other problems).

with the command "Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\"
i have error 21 "device not ready"

(i'm on windows 10)

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I got EFI boot to work (thanks yjchua95!), however, the setup screen does not recognize my trackpad or keyboard so I am essentially stuck now.

Any ideas?

I am using the new 2016 rMB with only one port so I cannot plug a mouse in at the same time either.

I do have the latest bootcamp drivers for the rMB downloaded and on the root of the SSD windows drive with the autounattend.xml on the root too. However, they dont't seem to get picked up.

EDIT: Nevermind, borrowed a usb hub and with a wired keyboard and mouse completed the install.

Last edited:

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Can you use a old wired keyboard for setup?

Yeah, did just that. Had to use a USB hub though. So anyone using a retina MacBook: make sure you have a hub for minimum three devices, a wired keyboard and a wired mouse laying around. I used an age old USB 2.0 bus-powered hub, but it did the job just fine.

Windows 10 FLIES on Samsung EVO 840 Pro SSD over USB 3.0. And my SSD is not even UASP-enabled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.