Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Got both for my 15PM. Bullstrap leather feels much nicer and the color is much deeper. Andar feels a little slimmer but not by much, also has a closed bottom but I have AppleCare+ so an open bottom isn’t a dealbreaker for me. Andar buttons have sharp edges too.

I can confirm that Andar cases have buttons with sharp edges. Crazy sharp! Why oh why would any manufacturer release a product with such an obvious flaw? It's nuts.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Ryan London closed bottom case is pretty thin and very comfortable with high quality leather, fast delivery and reasonable prices/ shipping.

aj11fan

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
14 series Bullstrap cases at Marshall’s for $16.99. Tan folio case wasn’t in original packaging so they tagged it $7.99. Model compatibility may vary.

IMG_6421.jpeg
IMG_6419.jpeg
IMG_6420.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: fp99

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
14 series Bullstrap cases at Marshall’s for $16.99. Tan folio case wasn’t in original packaging so they tagged it $7.99. Model compatibility may vary.

View attachment 2328638 View attachment 2328639 View attachment 2328640
I read that they had a bad batch with quality issues when trying out a new supplier in India with the 14 cases. Looks like they sold them to Marshalls instead of throwing them out. Still, a good find for that price.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I read that they had a bad batch with quality issues when trying out a new supplier in India with the 14 cases. Looks like they sold them to Marshalls instead of throwing them out. Still, a good find for that price.
I still have one of these guys from last year. $20 vs. what was $85 last year I think. Aside from a difference in buttons (more like ANDAR’s) it was pretty much the same case. Since I prefer the raised leather around the buttons I stuck with Ryan London for the long term.

The Ocean Bullstrap case is a thing of beauty this year.

IMG_5193.jpeg

Reactions: fp99 and off2marz

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
I still have one of these guys from last year. $20 vs. what was $85 last year I think. Aside from a difference in buttons (more like ANDAR’s) it was pretty much the same case. Since I prefer the raised leather around the buttons I stuck with Ryan London for the long term.

The Ocean Bullstrap case is a thing of beauty this year.

View attachment 2328673
Ocean does look very nice. I do wish they had a lighter blue though, hopefully they’ll keep coming with new color options

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
After having the ocean blue for about 3 weeks or so I’m a little bummed it shows the megsafe ring. It’s a great case!! But seems to get dirty fast or feel dirty and I work in an office. Maybe it’s just me and leather, but for now I’m switching around to multiple other cases I have that don’t feel as sticky and look cleaner on the back. Shockingly I’m slowing going back to fiber woven despite its flaws. Stays clean and no issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
After having the ocean blue for about 3 weeks or so I’m a little bummed it shows the megsafe ring. It’s a great case!! But seems to get dirty fast or feel dirty and I work in an office. Maybe it’s just me and leather, but for now I’m switching around to multiple other cases I have that don’t feel as sticky and look cleaner on the back. Shockingly I’m slowing going back to fiber woven despite its flaws. Stays clean and no issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

Really? I’ve seen some dirty fine woven cases

Reactions: RRC

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
After having the ocean blue for about 3 weeks or so I’m a little bummed it shows the megsafe ring. It’s a great case!! But seems to get dirty fast or feel dirty and I work in an office. Maybe it’s just me and leather, but for now I’m switching around to multiple other cases I have that don’t feel as sticky and look cleaner on the back. Shockingly I’m slowing going back to fiber woven despite its flaws. Stays clean and no issue

The leather feels sticky because it arrives with minimal protection so that it patinas quicker, get a lightly damped flannel cloth and wipe the surface then apply some leather conditioner and/ or leather sealant to stop the leather absorbing the oils from your skin as easily.

Reactions: Ramrod82

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If the case feels sticky, it’s because your hands have been dirty. My case does not feel sticky. It is natural for leather to patina with use. It sounds like you have never had real leather products before. Expecting it to look new all the time is unrealistic. And the woven case will show the MagSafe ring as well. Remember, a case is meant to protect the phone not be some kind of fashion statement.

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have had multiple leather cases and am not looking for a fashion statement. I just tried the damp cloth and it already feels better. I’ll keep giving it a shot, as I do like the case!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have had multiple leather cases and am not looking for a fashion statement. I just tried the damp cloth and it already feels better. I’ll keep giving it a shot, as I do like the case!
If you don't want to see the light circle from the MagSafe charger on the back of the case, use a woven or leather wallet to hide. I am using a BS wallet. Using a MagSafe wallet makes holding the phone more comfortable and natural, in my opinion.

Reactions: Ramrod82

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Just got the Andar in after having the Bullstrap for over a week.

Initial impressions...
-The Bullstrap leather demolishes the Andar leather, but both have a sensational leather smell
-The Andar is a bar of soap out of the box, wayyy more than Bullstrap (I do understand once my hand oils get in the case and with usage, the grip will get better on both cases)
-The buttons are literally from the same factory it seems lol
-MagSafe strength is just about the same. it's a coin flip.

Very hard to say which case is better. You can't go wrong with either. The bottom cutout of the Bullstrap does not bother me one bit. Zero pinky fatigue with the cutout. I really hope I can break these cases in quickly because both are rather slippery out of the box. I do like the leather wrapped camera ring the Bullstrap offers, but prefer the company branding better on the Andar.

Both will stay in rotation. Beautiful leather options.

wHx7EHM.jpg

BrnFe6r.jpg

1Rq8LAQ.jpg

3Jzt2Qv.jpg

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I have both. (And Decoded, Mujjo and Bare)

Andar: Thinner than Bullstrap. Mine is VERY tight to put on. In fact so tight I'm afraid of bending the phone taking it off. Button feel is great, but why are so many cases making the buttons so prominent--and sharp!. Looks like plastic around the camera bump, which is fine with me.

The Andar buttons are sharp! Why anyone would make, much less release, a case with buttons that have edges so sharp you're afraid to run your fingers up and down the sides of the case is a MYSTERY to me. Whoever let these designs through QA at Andar needs to be fired yesterday. It's pure corporate suicide to allow a product to be released w/ such an obvious flaw. Incomprehensible.

DO NOT BUY THE ANDAR CASES UNLESS YOU LIKE PARTS OF THE TIPS OF YOUR FINGERS SLICED OFF.

And P.S., they don't make it easy to return these cases, either.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Got both and returned both, as still prefer the Apple leather case and now just prefer to go naked or use the FW case when needed.

Correct. The Apple leather cases are (were) still the best. Sad that they're discontinued.

Reactions: sammjordan

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
The Andar buttons are sharp! Why anyone would make, much less release, a case with buttons that have edges so sharp you're afraid to run your fingers up and down the sides of the case is a MYSTERY to me. Whoever let these designs through QA at Andar needs to be fired yesterday. It's pure corporate suicide to allow a product to be released w/ such an obvious flaw. Incomprehensible.

DO NOT BUY THE ANDAR CASES UNLESS YOU LIKE PARTS OF THE TIPS OF YOUR FINGERS SLICED OFF.

Lol that’s quite a statement.. maybe you received a faulty case, but my Andar buttons are just fine and I do not fear for my safety when using it.. my finger will catch on the top or bottom edge of the button, but it certainly will not cut me and I don’t naturally run my finger along the buttons in that manner anyway.

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire

They’re not soft sided buttons but they’re also not that sharp. I can run my finger along both sides with some element of force and there’s no chance I’m gonna get cut. Have you actually cut your finger or is it dramatic license?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020

No sharp buttons on mine… and the best leather case I’ve bought, and I’ve had most of them to try! They’ve had the same button design for years, and are one of the best in the business at producing leather products. So either it’s user error or a faulty case, besides as mentioned who is running their fingers up and down the sides?! Even in the dark you know where the buttons are in relation to the screen?!

And why aren’t they making it easy to return? I’ve found their customer service to be really good in the past.

Correct. The Apple leather cases are (were) still the best. Sad that they're discontinued.

Not the recent ones, the leather quality was terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: landonalder

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
I used to use the Apple leather cases.

Happy with Andar for 15PM. The buttons are similar to Apple leather. The leather is better in my opinion. The closed bottom was the main point of difference with bullstrap

aj11fan

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009

Actually the buttons feel quite comfortable and I’m rubbing them as I write this and thank god so far my fingers are luckily in tact with no damage or surgery needed. Don’t be so disgruntled. I own 4 and a 5th case on the way. Great cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.